Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020

Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Can’t wait until my local shop opens again, I have a feeling this album will truly showcase the difference between a vinyl master and digital master...
  • Options
    dobybluedobyblue Posts: 53
    edited March 2020
    Cridder said:
    Can’t wait until my local shop opens again, I have a feeling this album will truly showcase the difference between a vinyl master and digital master...
    Huh? This is digitally mastered vinyl and the vinyl isn’t mastered separately. Cut =\= mastered. This is mastered one time for all formats by Bob Ludwig. Good that QRP did a great job with the pressing but any differences noted between the vinyl and high res downloads are placebo effect or coloration of the source material by playback. Had this been separately mastered by Bellman, I’d be all over it. The Ludwig mastering isn’t bad and certainly can’t be considered a Loudness Wars victim, but clearly they asked him to crank it a little. He mastered Fear Inoculum with more dynamics intact.
    Post edited by dobyblue on
  • Options
    RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 401
    Big skip in my vinyl after around 2:18 in Superblood Wolfmoon.  
  • Options
    dobyblue said:
    Cridder said:
    Huh? This is digitally mastered vinyl and the vinyl isn’t mastered separately. Cut =\= mastered. This is mastered one time for all formats by Bob Ludwig. Good that QRP did a great job with the pressing but any differences noted between the vinyl and high res downloads are placebo effect or coloration of the source material by playback. Had this been separately mastered by Bellman, I’d be all over it. The Ludwig mastering isn’t bad and certainly can’t be considered a Loudness Wars victim, but clearly they asked him to crank it a little. He mastered Fear Inoculum with more dynamics intact.
    I guess I forgot to mention I purchased the Mastered for ITunes version....
  • Options
    RE658041 said:
    Ugh me too 
  • Options
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    The outer jacket IS too tight.
    I swapped my sleeves out for SleeveCity's Ultimate inner sleeves.
    They slide right in.
    Also, the album doesn't fit into the box set. We need a new box.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Cridder said:
    Not good either, kinda meh. Definitely compressed.
  • Options
    RE658041 said:
    Ugh me too 
    Is this the EU version?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Is there any PJ release from the last twenty years that isn’t compressed tho?  

My 1991 Ten CD and 1994 Ten LP will always be my go to for sound quality in PJ land. 

I do think this LP is better than usual tho.  
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    Is there any PJ release from the last twenty years that isn’t compressed tho?  

My 1991 Ten CD and 1994 Ten LP will always be my go to for sound quality in PJ land. 

I do think this LP is better than usual tho.  
    Agree
  • Options
    Original vinyl copies of VS. And Vitalogy are pretty damn good!!!
  • Options
    RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 401
    MedozK said:
    RE658041 said:
    Ugh me too 
    Is this the EU version?
    Yes.
  • Options
    RE658041 said:
    MedozK said:
    RE658041 said:
    Ugh me too 
    Is this the EU version?
    Yes.
    If you can, can you give all the information in each runout. Numbers and all.
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
    edited March 2020
    Just got my 10c vinyl, skipped on the first 3 songs.  Sigh, guess they didn’t improve quality control after the Lightning Bolt debacle.

edit, every song on the first side skipped. 
    Post edited by Bant on
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    Bant said:
    Just got my 10c vinyl, skipped on the first 3 songs.  Sigh, guess they didn’t improve quality control after the Lightning Bolt debacle.

edit, every song on the first side skipped. 
    Did you clean it?   Mine didnt skip at all.  Sounds really good
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    It definitely needed a cleaning. I got no skips on my US pressing
  • Options
    to Tim’s point, this is a job well done.  Great pressing.  The high quality gatefold/booklet is another topic altogether.  It really enhances the experience.

All new records should really be cleaned.  They’re pressing 20,000 or something at once. Then they live in those sleeves for a month or two. It’s such a delicate form of media that it’s only going to sound awesome when everything is correct.  
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I’m just throwing this out there, some folks might need to google a how-to on setting up a turntable 
  • Options

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    edited March 2020
    Yeah for those who are having skips, first give it a good clean and then make sure your tone arm is weighted properly.  Turn those little weights if need be.  Watch a YouTube video on it if need be- it could very well be the vinyl of course, but try to eliminate any other variables and it may help you out 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Half of the new vinyl I get skips if I don’t clean it
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    I keep thinking about buying a turntable....and then I read threads like this.  Thanks guys. :anguished:
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    Yeah for those who are having skips, first give it a good clean and then make sure your tone arm is weighted properly.  Turn those little weights if need be.  Watch a YouTube video on it if need be- it could very well be the vinyl of course, but try to eliminate any other variables and it may help you out 
    Yup. I always clean records before I play them. Especially new ones due to pressing and packaging debris. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    KV4053 said:
    I keep thinking about buying a turntable....and then I read threads like this.  Thanks guys. :anguished:
    I got into it in the early 90s when you could by a record player at a yard sale for $1. Speakers, receiver and everything you needed a couple extra bucks. Everyone wanted smaller and you could find floor speakers and records at almost every yard sale. And if it broke a year later no big deal.
  • Options
    JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    Is the imprinted message on the vinyl random, or specific to region? North America? EU?
    Would love to get the 86-45-2020 one.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    JV267526 said:
    Is the imprinted message on the vinyl random, or specific to region? North America? EU?
    That’s in the runout of side c on all copies
  • Options
    JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    MedozK said:
    JV267526 said:
    That’s in the runout of side c on all copies
    Nice. Thanks. Have the album digitally, but my vinyl copy from Amazon hasn't arrived yet. Being in Canada I am not sure when it will arrive.