Options

Killer job on this vinyl!

124»

Comments

• Options
    ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    1 complaint only. Should have spread the 12 tracks across all 4 sides.  Not a fan of a blank side of vinyl.  Tracks and sides could be:

Side A
    Who Ever Said
    Superblood Woofmoon
    Dance Of The Clairvoyants

Side B
    Quick Escape
    Alright
    Seven O’Clock

Side C
    Never Destination 
    Take The Long Way
    Buckle Up

Side D
    Comes Than Goes
    Retrograde
    River Cross

Indeed ! Or doing at 45rmp instead of 33 like some QOTSA albums ... 
    -- rafa
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Cridder said:
    They are the same cut, so you can see how you can’t get an accurate DR reading from a vinyl rip.
  • Options
    Yeah I’m getting 2 skips in Whoever Saud and 1 in SBWM. After cleaning 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    I feel like this album is what binaural was supposed to be (with regards to listening with headphones.)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 700
    Anybody know who to contact at tenclub for my record not playing right? I'm having problems on the A side of Gigaton I thought it was my needle but then I checked it on my other player upstairs and it continues to skip at the end of Dance of the Clairvoyants and during the start of Quick Escape, have dusted off the vinyl and still the same problems.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks  
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 598
    tschav said:
    Overall presentation, little easter egg etchings, fantastic art direction and finishes on the packaging (even though the ALL CAPS font bothers me), it all adds up to so much extra thought and care beyond a great album.
    Is the packaging identical on both the US and Euro versions ie. the finishes?

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,462
    SM187650 said:
    Anybody know who to contact at tenclub for my record not playing right? I'm having problems on the A side of Gigaton I thought it was my needle but then I checked it on my other player upstairs and it continues to skip at the end of Dance of the Clairvoyants and during the start of Quick Escape, have dusted off the vinyl and still the same problems.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks  
    Thanks for reminding me not to buy a turntable.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    KV4053 said:
    SM187650 said:
    Avoid at all costs!
  • Options
    SM187650 said:
    I contacted shipping@tenclub.net.  
  • Options
    Yeah I’m getting 2 skips in Whoever Saud and 1 in SBWM. After cleaning 
    same here....
  • Options
    KV4053 said:
    SM187650 said:
    Avoid at all costs!
    Haha I’m just going to upgrade mine. 
  • Options
    SM187650 said:
    I contacted shipping@tenclub.net.  
    Ok thank you. I will follow suit. 
  • Options
    ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    -- rafa
  • Options
    offhegoes32offhegoes32 Posts: 407
    I love the album, as others said the vinyl packaging and quality is pretty great.
    Mine is playing almost perfectly, except for 2-3 pops only on the “Sadness cause some of it was mine” line in Comes Then Goes.  Bummer as it’s such a great emotional song for it to pop right there.  Oh well.  Have gone over it with an anti static brush to death, and cant really do a spin clean session on it right now, not sure it would fix it.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    KV4053 said:
    SM187650 said:
    You have no idea what your missing.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    bigdeathbigdeath Chicago Posts: 80
    I am getting a skip on Comes Then Goes.  Record keeps playing but kind of annoying.  Have not cleaned it to see if that improves it.

Any suggestions for best way to clean vinyl?  Rather new to this.  Thanks
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,177
    I keep meaning to buy a spin clean but never get around to it.   A friend of mine brought his over and cleaned about 10 of my worst records and they now sound mint.

I get a little static on some of gigaton, but I'm guessing if I cleaned it, it would go away.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited April 2020
    Other than me believing strongly that a rock and roll package should not rely on Getty or shutterstock for images -- I really dig this package. The shimmering cover, the red works a lot better in real life with the photos than it does on digital images.

I also do not have a problem with the punk-looking gatefold image of the band. That someone on here did not like.

Maybe the booklet could have had a bit more "stuff" in it than the lyrics and Gettyimages-photos behind them.

But really digging it. Too expensive? Yes. But still digging the package and reading through the lyrics earlier today.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 80
    No Code is the best package, Binaural right up there, but Gigaton is really beautiful to behold. 

I like the the lengths of each side, the way the songs are divided up.  Like 3 mini-albums. 

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Finally acquired the "In The Midst of the 6th" US pressing.
    So, now I have both US QRP pressings.

Now have to search out the EU Optimal pressings.
  • Options
    dobybluedobyblue Posts: 62
    Cridder said:

The only accurate way to tell the DR of this record would be to measure the digitally mastered cutting files as they are the finalized and approved master before it goes to lacquer cutting. The vinyl isn't separately mastered, so it has the same DR as the 24/96 download, it just shows how completely inaccurate the DR meter is for vinyl and why they should add a toggle, but it's one dude who doesn't have any time for coding changes to the website so we're stuck with a lot of useless information.

I know of one record where the CD-DA files (yes, 16/44.1) were used to cut the vinyl from and it measures 4 points higher via a rip, for the same DR7 master - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=away+from+the+world

Here's Dynamic Range Day founder and mastering engineer Ian Shepherd to explain more - https://productionadvice.co.uk/tt-meter-not-for-vinyl/

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,859
    MedozK said:
    Finally acquired the "In The Midst of the 6th" US pressing.
    So, now I have both US QRP pressings.

Now have to search out the EU Optimal pressings.

EU up over @ https://shop.virginemi.com/pearljam/*/*/Gigaton/6COK0000000 .