Options

Comes then Goes

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,426
    edited April 2020
    I'm imagining this one won't be played live too much, but when it is....
    No reason, but I think its going to be played  in the  1st Encore Set for most shows during the Gigaton Tour. For this Tour anyway. After this Tour? 

It sure will be nice for all of us  to find when the Tour starts. 
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    That would be unfortunate; it would make a great Encore Break comeback.   But if it's emotional for him you're probably right.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    agreed
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited April 2020
    I wont lie..had to look up "juxtaposed"..
    But not "vivisection?" ;)

I love this song so much. One of my new favorites for sure. If I'm nit-picking, I think it should end (at least lyrically) on "some of it was mine." I think it would be powerful if the song ended with that hanging in the air. I could see maybe some sort of musical outro if anything. I don't think the final chorus needs to be repeated.

But hey ... it's all vivisection in the end.

Ive pulled out the dictionary more than once through this lp..cant wait ti hear how he pulls this stuff off live
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mojo10mojo10 Posts: 44
    this really may be one of the most poignant ones they have written. thx guys, certainly helps on this side.

Not a complaint here, but a wish. "positive, positive!" For those of you who ordered the album, I had hoped that the fourth side would have had some music on it. Olé would have been a nice touch. Or at least a demo, outtake, lost song dog....

No idea when concerts will resume, or if they will ever be the same. thinking about being in a room with 20k people singing, healing, living sure brings a smile to my face. at least all of my memories are mine.
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    The High or low, try again is the depression. Your on fire life is great, and then suddenly you cannot function. Just a dead fish. Once the depression weens a bit you fight it, and pick your ass up to start over from the beginning once more. Maybe this time will be different. Your always one or the other. always....never in the middle. Sucks!
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    "Where'd you go" is the isolation part of depression. You disappear for awhile. You cannot socialize. "Courage melts away" is the power to fight the depression. It takes over. "Where you been?" is when you come back out into the world again because you simply disappeared. 
    Damn, pj nailed it. Spot on. It is scary. Their music speaks to me like no other music ever has or will. 
    Brilliant work. ty for this gift. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    joprojopro Posts: 24
    So, if we follow the hypothesis that the song is about Chris and the fallout of their relationship... I wonder when said fallout really started to take place. In 2011, all the boys seemed happy to play together at PJ20. This is obviously strictly from a fan's perspective with zero insider information. Same thing at the Bridge School Benefit in October 2014 where they performed their last Hunger Strike duet.

Then, in 2016, the boys played with Chris in a short tour with TOTD. Most fans thought Ed would show up at least on one occasion. When he did not show up in Philly, NYC, L.A, San Fran... it seemed like a sure bet to most of us that Ed would finally appear in Seattle. That did not happen. Back then there were countless rumours surrounding his absence, ranging from not wanting to steal the spotlight to an apparent fallout with Chris. About 6 months later, Chris left us. Then, Vicky's mom (Chris' mother-in-law) dragged Ed in the mud for days (weeks) on her social media accounts. Vicky also jumped in and blamed Ed for not being there... not attending the funeral... not canceling is solo tour in Europe that was starting at about the same time. Fast forward to now... Soundgarden and Vicky are fighting for ownership of final recordings... and Vicky is using Chris' and Soundgarden's social media accounts to blast Matt, Kim and Ben using lyrics from Chris. It's one cheap shot after the other. 

So, obviously, that relationship is "done" and so the one between Soundgarden and Chris' second family (mostly wife). But my question is, was there really a fallout between the 2 guys? Do we know for sure that something happened?
    1998: Montreal 2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto, Montreal, New York II 2005: Montreal, Quebec 2007: London (Wembley), Chicago (Lollapalooza) 2008: Mansfield I, Mansfield II, Montreal I (EV), Montreal II (EV) 2009: Seattle I, Seattle II 2011: Montreal, Ottawa 2013: Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Toronto I, Toronto II 2018: Wrigley I, Wrigley II 2022: Quebec, Ottawa
  • Options
    BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    I'm pretty sure it's just about coming and then going.
  • Options
    BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    Not like that. Dirty bird.
  • Options
    jopro said:
    So, if we follow the hypothesis that the song is about Chris and the fallout of their relationship... I wonder when said fallout really started to take place. In 2011, all the boys seemed happy to play together at PJ20. This is obviously strictly from a fan's perspective with zero insider information. Same thing at the Bridge School Benefit in October 2014 where they performed their last Hunger Strike duet.

Then, in 2016, the boys played with Chris in a short tour with TOTD. Most fans thought Ed would show up at least on one occasion. When he did not show up in Philly, NYC, L.A, San Fran... it seemed like a sure bet to most of us that Ed would finally appear in Seattle. That did not happen. Back then there were countless rumours surrounding his absence, ranging from not wanting to steal the spotlight to an apparent fallout with Chris. About 6 months later, Chris left us. Then, Vicky's mom (Chris' mother-in-law) dragged Ed in the mud for days (weeks) on her social media accounts. Vicky also jumped in and blamed Ed for not being there... not attending the funeral... not canceling is solo tour in Europe that was starting at about the same time. Fast forward to now... Soundgarden and Vicky are fighting for ownership of final recordings... and Vicky is using Chris' and Soundgarden's social media accounts to blast Matt, Kim and Ben using lyrics from Chris. It's one cheap shot after the other. 

So, obviously, that relationship is "done" and so the one between Soundgarden and Chris' second family (mostly wife). But my question is, was there really a fallout between the 2 guys? Do we know for sure that something happened?
    We don't and we may never know. There are some accounts of a supposed incident during Bridge School 2014. It doesn't really matter, given what we do know about a certain litigious widow. YMMV
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,591
    mojo10 said:
    tish said:
    I hear A. Wood cut in red...
    I agree. Ed is always more subtle. This is a classic EV double entendre...
    Andrew Wood & a red type print...
    I can see that. I picked up that the line “Troubles multiplied”  is also is a reference to “Times of Trouble” and “Footsteps” where both Eddie and Chris wrote songs for the Stone Gossard demo.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    mojo10mojo10 Posts: 44
    mojo10 said:
    tish said:
    I hear A. Wood cut in red...
    I agree. Ed is always more subtle. This is a classic EV double entendre...
    Andrew Wood & a red type print...
    I can see that. I picked up that the line “Troubles multiplied”  is also is a reference to “Times of Trouble” and “Footsteps” where both Eddie and Chris wrote songs for the Stone Gossard demo.
    yes, good one. perhaps another possible double entendre here?

the hard part, as fans, is that (we think) we have (access to) these little windows into their souls, or what we think/feel/react to that which they are being/projecting/seeing. we feel as if we know them so well, having spent to much of our time listening to their words and music, whether alone with headphones, at home with friends and family, or at a show with so many of the other faithful (we all believe it). like a mostly one way conversation, in that we perceive so much and want to believe so much about the music, the meanings, and the dynamics of their friendships and ours with them, like face(s) peering in through a soap streaked window, when our attempts to decrypt the meanings, perceived (are they our own?) or implied, it does not matter. as all we do know that a circle of friends lost one of their own, like he, we kept him as our own too. one that many of us looked up to for solace, comfort, and meaning through a one way telescope. and perhaps a sense of longing (belong) for wanting to have a friendship(s) so strong, that we all lost "him" in so many ways over the years. the situations, circumstance(s), may mirror our own lives and friendships, relationships, etc as we navigate life and the ever changing cast of characters and actors who cross the stage(s) of our lives...

don't mind me, i'm just missing CC's music, love, and influence as it was reflected and radiated through others eventually to us. 
  • Options
    joprojopro Posts: 24
    jopro said:

We don't and we may never know. There are some accounts of a supposed incident during Bridge School 2014. It doesn't really matter, given what we do know about a certain litigious widow. YMMV
    Ohhh ok. I have never heard of the supposed Bridge incident... 
    1998: Montreal 2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto, Montreal, New York II 2005: Montreal, Quebec 2007: London (Wembley), Chicago (Lollapalooza) 2008: Mansfield I, Mansfield II, Montreal I (EV), Montreal II (EV) 2009: Seattle I, Seattle II 2011: Montreal, Ottawa 2013: Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Toronto I, Toronto II 2018: Wrigley I, Wrigley II 2022: Quebec, Ottawa
  • Options
    Willis1872Willis1872 Scotland/North Carolina Posts: 8
    Took a while for me but when it clicks, boy does it click.  Anyone else get a Thin Air / Parting Ways vibe from it?  
    It has the little Parting Ways type lick in the intro which makes it sound similar to me
    It's probably my favorite song on the album
  • Options
    CPR7 said:
    dlymnfld said:
    Anyone else feel this was written with Chris in mind? There even appears to be a verse directed towards Vicki?  Either way it’s an amazing song and I also like The Who reference. Great Album. 
    100% written for Chris. And I do believe the last verse is about Vicky:

"High or low, try again
    She fell off the altar
    A vision you caught her but then
    A woodcut in red
    I wish it was not you that she had led
    Selfish navigation with no end
    Where'd you sleep? Can I find
    A deeper connection
    In the face of rejection I'm trying
    I'm trying
    Evidence in the echoes of your mind
    Leads me to believe we missed the signs
    Can I try one last time?
    Could all use a savior from human behavior sometimes
    And the kids are alright
    The Queen of Collections took your time
    Sadness comes 'cause some of it was mine"
    I don't know a lot about Chris, what's the song referring to and who is Vicky? His wife?
  • Options
    RhinoJam said:
    I wish they had left Ed's part just the way it was, and added full band instrumentation behind it... Jeff's grooves, simple drum beat, nice bluesy type solo/Mike work in the background, accompanying Stone Riff... I think this could have been like a Black, Gone, Come Back, etc, something in that vein, still really like the song, was hoping for more depth to it with the full band!
    That's exactly what I hope for when it's played live, I wonder if it will be an opener? I doubt it but i would like it
  • Options
    DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 325
    Incredible song!!!!!
  • Options
    DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    CS160564 said:
    Do we know who’s playing the acoustic guitar. Is it Stone?  Wikipedia for the album doesn’t list Ed playing guitar on any tracks.  I know wiki is unreliable so thought that can’t be right.

The producer of the album came out and said that Eddie recorded this song a few years ago and they used that track.  So the guitar is all Ed on this and it seems they didn't even record this song this year.
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    This has to be one of the saddest songs Ed’s ever written. I just love it!
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    IMO, best song on the album and stands against some of the great ones Ed has ever written. Cuts so deep and powerfully. 

This part just rips me apart every time:

Where you been? Can I find
    A glimpse of my friend
    Don't know where or when one of us left
    The other behind
    Divisions came and troubles multiplied
    Incisions made by scalpel blades of time

Agreed would be surprised if it is played live much which is a shame because it is so beautiful. 

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    JBob87 said:
    IMO, best song on the album and stands against some of the great ones Ed has ever written. Cuts so deep and powerfully. 

A glimpse of my friend
    The other behind

Agreed would be surprised if it is played live much which is a shame because it is so beautiful. 

I have to agree. Up there with the classics. Such amazing lyrics. People say it’s too long? What?!
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    KN219077 said:
    JBob87 said:

A glimpse of my friend
    The other behind

I have to agree. Up there with the classics. Such amazing lyrics. People say it’s too long? What?!
    We need an Ed tour soon too. This song is way too good not to be played regularly. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    Great but might be the saddest pj song ever. Can hear the hurt in Ed’s voice.  The “I’m trying” and the “sadness comes and some of it was mine”...so gets to me
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    KN219077 said:

People say it’s too long? What?!
    It's beyond perfect.   I seriously listen multiple times a day.      
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    rider10rider10 Posts: 41
    CPR7 said:
    dlymnfld said:
    Anyone else feel this was written with Chris in mind? There even appears to be a verse directed towards Vicki?  Either way it’s an amazing song and I also like The Who reference. Great Album. 
    100% written for Chris. And I do believe the last verse is about Vicky:

"High or low, try again
    She fell off the altar
    A vision you caught her but then
    A woodcut in red
    I wish it was not you that she had led
    Selfish navigation with no end
    Where'd you sleep? Can I find
    A deeper connection
    In the face of rejection I'm trying
    I'm trying
    Evidence in the echoes of your mind
    Leads me to believe we missed the signs
    Can I try one last time?
    Could all use a savior from human behavior sometimes
    And the kids are alright
    The Queen of Collections took your time
    Sadness comes 'cause some of it was mine"
    I don't know a lot about Chris, what's the song referring to and who is Vicky? His wife?
    I have to assume addiction or death. Both of which are commonly interpreted as a seductress of sorts. 
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited April 2020

Vicky is Chris’s widow. She has “history” with Eddie and the remaining members of Soundgarden since Chris’s death which would lead people to believe there is a strain in her relationship with them. I won’t go into on here but let’s just say she’s not afraid to vent on her social media account. 
    Post edited by dlymnfld on
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,933
    In my top 3 or 4 on the album. Tragically beautiful. Some of Ed’s best work! And that guitar is simply amazing. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    PB11041 said:
    I don't think there is any question at all this is about Chris Cornell.  That being said, I don't think we will likely ever hear the man say, this song is for my friend Chris Cornell.  It is vague enough to not be clear enough, and yet spot on.

I'm late to this conversation, I know. But I have been listening to this song a lot lately, and came to this same conclusion. Just came here to see if I was mistaken, and I see that I'm not alone. The lyrics are heartbreaking, haunting and beautiful. Definitely one of my favorites.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    edited May 2021
    It’s 100% about Chris. Lots of CC fans like quoting certain lines from this song when discussing certain CC topics. They know it’s about him.

It’s a beautiful, heart wrenching song.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22