PJ Guitar Picks Collecting Help

JV267526JV267526 Posts: 199
Hi,
I am a relatively new Pearl Jam collector outside of show posters and vinyl, and wanted to begin to collect some other band related memorabilia. One of the things that I was wanting to begin to collect were stage used guitar picks, but I am not sure where to begin. 

Does anyone know reputable sellers or collectors to purchase from that can be trusted that the picks are used on stage?
What is the general price range for each band member for a pick used by them?
Are their specific ways to tell, which picks ere used on particular tours or legs of a tour?
Are there designs or particular picks that are more sought after?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Jordan.

Comments

• RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    JV267526 said:
    Hi,
    I am a relatively new Pearl Jam collector outside of show posters and vinyl, and wanted to begin to collect some other band related memorabilia. One of the things that I was wanting to begin to collect were stage used guitar picks, but I am not sure where to begin. 

Does anyone know reputable sellers or collectors to purchase from that can be trusted that the picks are used on stage?
    Are their specific ways to tell, which picks ere used on particular tours or legs of a tour?

Jordan.

Get ready to go down the rabbit hole

As a general rule

Picks from 91 -96 - are expensive - expect to pay between $200-2500 for these - the higher end of the scale are the extreme rarities like the joke picks made by crew - there is a question mark however as to how many of these ever saw a stage. The prototype cherub picks are sought after but never made the stage

Ed picks are sought after - the newer ones are more attainable but certain picks like Evil Knivel, batmobile and batgirl, sparky etc are fairly attainable for sensible money. His solo picks like the Uke pick and the Aussie MR one cost serious dough - expect $300-500 here. 

Mike picks - older ones - see above. anything from 2003 upwards are cheap and available. You shouldnt need to pay more than $15-20 - mike uses picks like confetti

Stone Picks - sensible range - $35-75 (some exceptions - see above)

Jeff Picks - are generally quite rare.....some like the PJ20 4 strings pick became very elusive as did his translucent picks from the 2006 time era. Pricing is all over the place on Jeff - but they can easily reach $200.

Matt has picks - only two though, so Matt is a great place to start!!!

Dave Silver has a ton of picks to sell for OYR at very nice prices, and by buying from him you are helping a great cause, plus he will sell you a bulk batch. 

Anything current - send me a list of what you want and I'll be able to fix you up with stage used picks guaranteed
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 199
    pdalowsky said:
    JV267526 said:
    Hi,

Jordan.

As a general rule

Picks from 91 -96 - are expensive - expect to pay between $200-2500 for these - the higher end of the scale are the extreme rarities like the joke picks made by crew - there is a question mark however as to how many of these ever saw a stage. The prototype cherub picks are sought after but never made the stage

Ed picks are sought after - the newer ones are more attainable but certain picks like Evil Knivel, batmobile and batgirl, sparky etc are fairly attainable for sensible money. His solo picks like the Uke pick and the Aussie MR one cost serious dough - expect $300-500 here. 

Mike picks - older ones - see above. anything from 2003 upwards are cheap and available. You shouldnt need to pay more than $15-20 - mike uses picks like confetti

Jeff Picks - are generally quite rare.....some like the PJ20 4 strings pick became very elusive as did his translucent picks from the 2006 time era. Pricing is all over the place on Jeff - but they can easily reach $200.

Dave Silver has a ton of picks to sell for OYR at very nice prices, and by buying from him you are helping a great cause, plus he will sell you a bulk batch. 

Anything current - send me a list of what you want and I'll be able to fix you up with stage used picks guaranteed
    Thanks so much!
    Lots of great info, and thanks for taking the time to provide it.
    PM sent.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    @pdalowsky
     said it best of course. most times its hard to say if a pick was used on  stage or never made it as sometimes techs and others hand them out. sometimes picks are used during sound check and tossed out into the empty seats for example.
    also, we have have a group page if you are on facebook. its a great place where we trade, buy and sell and usually we all take care of each other helping others
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1213603578680212
    @pdalowsky
     said it best of course. most times its hard to say if a pick was used on  stage or never made it as sometimes techs and others hand them out. sometimes picks are used during sound check and tossed out into the empty seats for example.
    also, we have have a group page if you are on facebook. its a great place where we trade, buy and sell and usually we all take care of each other helping others
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1213603578680212
    Thanks for the response and the link to the facebook group. Your OYR initiative is awesome.
    JV267526 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    JV267526 said:
    Hi,

Jordan.

As a general rule

Thanks so much!
    PM sent.
    Typed a long response via PM hit send and the computer locked up - I will write again asap
    pdalowsky said:
    JV267526 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    JV267526 said:
    Hi,

Jordan.

As a general rule

Thanks so much!
    PM sent.
    Typed a long response via PM hit send and the computer locked up - I will write again asap
    No worries. Sucks when computers lock up like that. Thanks for taking the time to respond when you get a chance.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Dave and Paul are the forum pick gurus.  If they don’t know, then it doesn’t exist.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    PP193448 said:
    Dave and Paul are the forum pick gurus.  If they don’t know, then it doesn’t exist.
    Very kind words Pat, you could also use alternative words like lunatics, morons, imbeciles etc - they all fit too ;)

Hope you are well sir
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    PP193448 said:
    The rule of the Sith is always 2- 1 master, 1 apprentice. Paul is, was and always will be the master LOL
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited March 2020
    PP193448 said:
    Dave and Paul are the forum pick WACKOS.  If they don’t know, then it doesn’t exist.
    FIXED.  =)

Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    PP193448 said:
    PP193448 said:
    Dave and Paul are the forum pick WACKOS.  If they don’t know, then it doesn’t exist.
    FIXED.  =)

better LOL
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,141
    pdalowsky said:
    PP193448 said:
    Very kind words Pat, you could also use alternative words like lunatics, morons, imbeciles etc - they all fit too ;)

Hope you are well sir
    PJ Crazies is what I call ya... :)
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,514
    Count me in
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,032
    I heart picks too!
    First was a stone thrown from the stage after evenflow at msg, lucky lucas. 

Lucky me!