Options

Cancelled Concerts

13»

Comments

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    Right move. I’m personally glad I don’t have to make decision to travel. Was going to nashville. Kind of relieved the pressure is off me to make the decision
    Especially since I hadn't told my wife yet about me going to Toronto and MSG... 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    link93link93 Posts: 404
    edited March 2020
    Rumor is Coachella postponed till October. This would be huge. Maybe we are just getting the tip of the iceberg and tons of shows and festivals will be cancelled or postponed. Sucks. 
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 886
    edited March 2020
    I mean I get it....but at the same time come on... I feel like in the States anyway it seems more of like “go in public at your own risk” is it really a PROBLEM here? I get it’s spreading and more cases have been discovered but like that happens every year with sickness. Idk. Sucks. 
  • Options
    StupendousDaveStupendousDave Posts: 5
    edited March 2020
    "So it is with deep frustration and regret that we are forced to make this most unfortunate of announcements...

This scheduled first leg of our PJ/Gigaton tour will need to be postponed and shows rescheduled for a later date"

Wonder how it will affect the ticket exchange for the concerts.
    Post edited by StupendousDave on
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    mace1229 said:
    I’m sorry, but this is a terrible decision. Zero reason to cancel as of now. Many of us have hotels and flights, and flights mostly can’t be refunded. And I’m not being selfish, more people are infected with countless other illnesses every day. This is just over reaction
    Pretty sure most of the stuff can be refunded.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    Just got official email stating that the first leg of NA shows are postponed.
    No way 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,883
    My head knows it is the right decision. My heart is crushed. 
    Me too. Goodbye two shows. 
    8 for me. And the likelihood that I can make the whole run work again is slim.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    We may not like this, but do not underestimate the importance of this. The incubation period of Corona is at a minimum two weeks. If you dont show signs, does not mean that you not already contacted the illness and can In other words, since it is contagious, already effect other people. Simply by touching the focet in the bathroom with sweaty hands. In short: we havent seen the full size of it all. To show you the importance of this, look at Italy, it quaranteed whole towns and cities. I would not call this an over reaction. This virus is resistent to anti-biotics. Say you go to the concert and you are sick, unknowngly - you may have a soar throat and cough a little, but no major signs - you do not only infect the people around you, but also their family, grandparrents and childeren. The last two often die. I do not, as a concert goer, want to feel the responsibility of not only for those at the concert. But also their families, friends etc around that individual. This is a bummer. I rather have a bummer than be repsonsible, unknowngly,of other people's lives. It is a dissapointment, for sure, but a move I think that tells us a lot about the responsibility they feel towards us. And shows once again their integrity.
  • Options
    ajflicker said:
    Its not the black plague or Spanish flu. This blows.

No, but those diseases started somewhere. I do not know if you had someone seen dying of pneumonia; they drown in their own fluids. It is horrific, and I speak out of experience.

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,265
    Guys. It's not an overreaction. The whole point of cancelling these events is to slow the rate of the disease's spread. This is essential. Assuming a controlled, slowed spread, it is estimated that 200,000 ICU beds will be needed. There are 100,000 ICU beds in the US. Uncontrolled spread will be catastrophic.

If 20,000 people get together and sweat, yell, sing, puke, etc. all over each other at MSG, and disperse again all over the East Coast and Europe, that's a potential disaster right there, just that one show. It would be irresponsible to hold the concerts right now.

My husband has been involved in multiple epidemic/ pandemic responses, and he's as disappointed as the rest of us but also is 100% certain that this is the right decision.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,265
     This virus is resistent to anti-biotics.
    Quick reminder: antibiotics treat bacterial infections; antivirals, when they exist, treat viral infections. Currently there is no treatment for coronavirus beyond rest, fluids, electrolytes. There is NO benefit from buying/ using antibacterial soap (and, generally, that just leaves us with tougher, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but now I'm really off-topic). Use regular soap, scrub well.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    jonposeyjonposey Posts: 139
    I have nothing constructive to add. 😶 
    \m/ \m/
    www.jonposey.us
  • Options
    How many people posting on these threads attended the Spectrum shows? I did -- my whole family did. We all got H1N1. We were not alone!

I missed the other thread. I will not wade into politics on this point. This is what is actually happening: Boston just cancelled its St. Patrick's Day parade. a growing number of schools are cancelling classes or going to online-only classes. One child''s school just extended spring break, the other child's school has banned all non-students and staff from campus. The entire country of Italy is on lockdown. My husband's company (healthcare sector) has shut down most travel and banned all large meetings.

The goal, since there is no vaccine and developing one will take more than a year, is to slow the spread of the virus in the hope that the healthcare system will not be overloaded. Cancelling conferences and concerts and festivals is part of that.

We have our plans for the concerts, but we fully expect they will be postponed, based on personal and professional experience. Given the rapidly evolving state of affairs, I feel it is foolish/ pointless to try to plan more than 24 hours in advance at this point.

Agreed. Doctor conferences around the whole world are being locked down from March until end of April. I think people misunderstand the importance of the incubation period.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
     This virus is resistent to anti-biotics.
    Quick reminder: antibiotics treat bacterial infections; antivirals, when they exist, treat viral infections. Currently there is no treatment for coronavirus beyond rest, fluids, electrolytes. There is NO benefit from buying/ using antibacterial soap (and, generally, that just leaves us with tougher, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but now I'm really off-topic). Use regular soap, scrub well.

And wash your hands professionaly like surgeons do. Thumbs, innerhands, forearm and let it dry by air. Close the focet with your elbow. Curmudgeoness, you can't like your posts here like on FB, but thumbs up. You know more about bacteria of virusses than I do. I think the information you give here is profound, important and should be heard.
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I’m sorry, but this is a terrible decision. Zero reason to cancel as of now. Many of us have hotels and flights, and flights mostly can’t be refunded. And I’m not being selfish, more people are infected with countless other illnesses every day. This is just over reaction
    If I had decided to cancel my flight for no particular reason, I’d lose most of the cost. However, this is definitely different. Are airlines making allowances due to this whole thing? (The virus, not the tour cancellation).
  • Options
    rummy said:
    mace1229 said:
    If I had decided to cancel my flight for no particular reason, I’d lose most of the cost. However, this is definitely different. Are airlines making allowances due to this whole thing? (The virus, not the tour cancellation).
    I think they do. And besides an monetary refund, they could refund you with an open ticket - which would be handiier if you get the postponed dates. Organizing a tour is a helluva job. Dealing with this, cancellations and postponing, is a logistic nightmare. I think they made a balanced decision. This is not just hurting us, but also them. I don't think they took this decision lightly. And they will return. Remember London two years ago. They postponed that second date. The last concert (which unfortunately I couldn't go, since I had a doctor appointment), was for many amazing. PJ will pull through. They always have.