Reviews of Gigaton

Comments

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,066
    KN219077 said:
    Rollingstone gave it 4 stars and has good praise for the album. They also give Bob Dylan albums five stars so I’m right back to not knowing anything. 
    You’re right, that Dylan guy is a hack. 

Great songwriter and lyricist no doubt. Horrible voice later into his career and the absolute worst concert I have ever seen. I know, I just don’t get Dylan is the response I usually get. But lord knows I’ve tried. And tried and tried. I should have worded it better, it should have said but they also give every Bob Dylan album five stars. 
    I’m not trying to change your mind, but love and theft, modern times, and tempest were all great albums. The recent sinatra esque american standard albums like triplicate have sucked majorly though, I will give you that.
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Rolling Stone lost all credibility the day they published the Goddess on a Highway 5 star review. 

Do you mean Goddess in the Doorway by Jagger?  I don’t see any reviews for a Goddess on a Highway album. 

Assuming that’s the one you meant, I agree wholeheartedly that 5 stars was absurd.  But all of these critics have some head scratchers out there. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Honest question........who/what gives anyone the right to review an album?  Or food? Or movies? Or books?  Do you have to have certain qualifications?  People's taste are different.  Sometimes I like greasy, sloppy food that a critic would shit all over.  Or a silly, fun movie that a critic would give 1 star.  I understand wanting people to like the album, but ultimately all that matters is how it makes you feel.  Much as I'll try and dismiss a negative review (which there doesn't appear to be yet) I would also not put too much into a glowing review. 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,047
    Everything i read so far has been overwhelmingly positive. 

I cannot wait
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    pdalowsky said:
    Everything i read so far has been overwhelmingly positive. 

I cannot wait
    Yep.  Raising my excitement even more. 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
    edited March 2020
    Honest question........who/what gives anyone the right to review an album?  Or food? Or movies? Or books?  Do you have to have certain qualifications?  People's taste are different.  Sometimes I like greasy, sloppy food that a critic would shit all over.  Or a silly, fun movie that a critic would give 1 star.  I understand wanting people to like the album, but ultimately all that matters is how it makes you feel.  Much as I'll try and dismiss a negative review (which there doesn't appear to be yet) I would also not put too much into a glowing review. 
    I think anyone has the right to review an album because it is an opinion but I think your question is basically saying what makes someone a professional reviewer whose opinions are read by a large audience and can in turn impact the public perception of a piece of art, music, food... My best guess is somewhere along the line the person either went to school for a particular type of journalism or other subject related to their type of reviews or worked their way up the ladder at a company and gained experience or a combination of both. Does this make their opinions any more valid than anyone else's? Not really, but some people do tend to pay a lot of attention to what these people have to say and there is nothing inherently "wrong" with that but I agree that it is weird that some will see a negative review from someone they don't know and then not go see a movie or listen to an album. I agree that it is all about your personal relationship with the album, song, food, art... you will either like it or not so why not decide for yourself? That being said, I do like looking at the lists some of these publications release just to ask "wtf were they thinking?"
    Post edited by pjpjpaul on
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    People find their way into these jobs through a variety of means. Lester Bangs got his first review at Rolling Stone published just by sending it in, and asking them to either publish it or explain to him why they refused. They published it, and he ultimately became famous in his own right. These days folks can just start publishing reviews on a personal blog, and if a publication likes it they can work to sign the author on. While not specifically related to reviews, that’s how Bill Simmons launched his journalism career. Sometimes it’s just a matter of whether a writer’s style is a good fit for the publication. 

I like reading reviews. They give me information about things that I’ve never experienced and help me decide whether I should give it a try. That said, no matter how many 4 star reviews her albums get, I’m not going to start listening to Ariana Grande. So of course personal taste trumps reviews. Take for example the band Big Thief. Reading reviews of the 2 albums they put out last year you’d think they were the greatest band ever. But I don’t like Adrienne Lenker’s voice, so I’m not listening. 
  • Lostpawn said:
    People find their way into these jobs through a variety of means. Lester Bangs got his first review at Rolling Stone published just by sending it in, and asking them to either publish it or explain to him why they refused. They published it, and he ultimately became famous in his own right. These days folks can just start publishing reviews on a personal blog, and if a publication likes it they can work to sign the author on. While not specifically related to reviews, that’s how Bill Simmons launched his journalism career. Sometimes it’s just a matter of whether a writer’s style is a good fit for the publication. 

I like reading reviews. They give me information about things that I’ve never experienced and help me decide whether I should give it a try. That said, no matter how many 4 star reviews her albums get, I’m not going to start listening to Ariana Grande. So of course personal taste trumps reviews. Take for example the band Big Thief. Reading reviews of the 2 albums they put out last year you’d think they were the greatest band ever. But I don’t like Adrienne Lenker’s voice, so I’m not listening. 
    Hey, Big Thief are great! Haha
  • Hey, Big Thief are great! Haha
    ^^^^^

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
    ^^^^^
    Going to see them this summer at The National in RVA. Can't wait. Hopefully the public health scenario is better by then.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • pjpjpaul said:
    ^^^^^
    Going to see them this summer at The National in RVA. Can't wait. Hopefully the public health scenario is better by then.
    Saw them a couple of weeks ago in London.  They were phenomenal. 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    “Quick Escape” might be the best of the bunch. Penned by Jeff Ament and relying on his rumbling basslines, the song rides a grinding, uncomfortable groove underpinning talk of fleeing to far-flung lands to seek refuge from the headlines of the day, before rupturing into a chorus that, no joke, feels like it could’ve been on one of Pearl Jam’s early ’90s releases.
    edited March 2020
    Ha!  My point exactly. I love that people have different tastes. Lots of artists out there, we won’t all love them all. 

BTW musically I like them a lot. I just don’t dig her voice. Something about it just grates on me. 

ETA: I probably would never have listened to those albums if not for the reviews. I’m grateful I did, even though I ultimately am not a fan. 
    Post edited by Lostpawn on
    Loving these reviews
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,809
    Can’t find it online yet, but Entertainment Weekly’s review is a strong B+!
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,549
    demetrios said:
    Oh wow that has me excited. I’m reading it right that Stone and Matt sing lead on two songs?
    Pretty good reviews. Love hearing that it’s a return to form for the band. 
    Can’t find it online yet, but Entertainment Weekly’s review is a strong B+!
    Take a pic of it?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    They always get good reviews. Doesn't mean you guys won't find a way to hate it
    I miss igotid88
    Oddly, that Spin article says Stone and Matt have vocals in one song each. Misprint? It is the songs they wrote.
    I’d take a pic, but not sure how to link photos on into the forum. I have no social media so I can’t embed the photo in.
    igotid88 said:
    They always get good reviews. Doesn't mean you guys won't find a way to hate it
    I think it’s fair to base the work on its own merit and not just give it a pass because it’s from your favorite band.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    edited March 2020
    An earlier review said Ed is singing all the songs but didn’t write them all 🤷🏼‍♀️ This one is very specific about it: https://www.guerrillacandy.com/2020/03/09/10-details-to-know-about-pearl-jams-gigaton/
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Can’t find it online yet, but Entertainment Weekly’s review is a strong B+!
    Just about to post this.  By Sarah Rodman for the 2 page article.  Has Scarlett Johannson on the cover.
    edited March 2020
    Yes! That issue. Post it if you can. Great two page spread. EW does not always cover PJ much and they are not given to giving great reviews to them (I tend to ignore them). So this one has me excited!
    edited March 2020
    Yes! That issue. Post it if you can. Great two page spread. EW does not always cover PJ much and they are not given to giving great reviews to them (I tend to ignore them). So this one has me excited!
    Hey just take a pic with your phone and then click on this to browse to it

Thanks for the tip!

Well they went in out of order, but read bottom to top.

There was a side bar about their best studio covers: Crazy Mary, Love, Reign O’er Me, and Last Kiss.
    Thanks!!!!