Reviews of Gigaton

13»

Comments

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,809
    No problem. Got super excitedly when I saw Pearl Jam across the top of the cover. Can’t wait for this album!
  • se7v7ense7v7en Posts: 329
    igotid88 said:
    They always get good reviews. Doesn't mean you guys won't find a way to hate it
    CoS and Stereogum reviews in the past have been average to below average, but both outfits are giving really positive reviews for Gigaton.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,169
    Lostpawn said:
    Honest question........who/what gives anyone the right to review an album?  Or food? Or movies? Or books?  Do you have to have certain qualifications?  People's taste are different.  Sometimes I like greasy, sloppy food that a critic would shit all over.  Or a silly, fun movie that a critic would give 1 star.  I understand wanting people to like the album, but ultimately all that matters is how it makes you feel.  Much as I'll try and dismiss a negative review (which there doesn't appear to be yet) I would also not put too much into a glowing review. 
    Take for example the band Big Thief. Reading reviews of the 2 albums they put out last year you’d think they were the greatest band ever. But I don’t like Adrienne Lenker’s voice, so I’m not listening. 
    Man, this is my take exactly. I wanted to hear what the fuss was about and I totally get it. But her voice and their stuff is not for me.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Yeah. Big Thief didnt do it for me.  I tried.  
    Some weird voices i like.   Neutral Milk Hotel. Etc.  not Big Thief. 

With PJ reviewers have tended to say “a return to their early 90s roots!!”   No one is saying that here.  Im seeing a lot of “more interesting, more engaged” than the last few.  Thats awesome
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 385
    SPIN review here
    https://www.spin.com/2020/03/pearl-jam-bounce-back-with-gigaton/?fbclid=IwAR0GuIQGPeKAezcfzyY8tu6S3hDO_Kl-8EopHfv1nVfYleLW7vRUHNzD2gw

Guy liked it but some odd things in it that I’m not sure there true. First he refers to Ohana festival as “Vedders Ohana festival” more than once. Didn’t know Eddie was the one who put it together. Also writer claims there’s a song sung by Stone “Buckle Up” and another sung by Matt “Take the long way”... which would be weird. Maybe he just meant backup vocals because I haven’t seen that anywhere else
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Tremorman said:
    SPIN review here
    https://www.spin.com/2020/03/pearl-jam-bounce-back-with-gigaton/?fbclid=IwAR0GuIQGPeKAezcfzyY8tu6S3hDO_Kl-8EopHfv1nVfYleLW7vRUHNzD2gw

Guy liked it but some odd things in it that I’m not sure there true. First he refers to Ohana festival as “Vedders Ohana festival” more than once. Didn’t know Eddie was the one who put it together. Also writer claims there’s a song sung by Stone “Buckle Up” and another sung by Matt “Take the long way”... which would be weird. Maybe he just meant backup vocals because I haven’t seen that anywhere else
    Ed is behind Ohana fest
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    Tremorman said:
    SPIN review here

Ohana is Ed's festival. I think along with Kelly Slater. Didn't you find it odd that he plays there every year and is there all 3 days and performs with some of the artists?
    I miss igotid88
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,568
    Can’t find it online yet, but Entertainment Weekly’s review is a strong B+!
    Read it yesterday. Great review.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,456
    Can't wait to hear this thing

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 558
    igotid88 said:
    well said. in a forum fill with pansies. 
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    WW187806 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Good reviews will come for the new album and so will bad - from critics , fans etc.

but Dance of the Clairvoyants will still be crap.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Sorry to say, but if you trust reviews a few have already said that Dance is one of the best songs :lol:  

DOTC is awesome IMO
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,568
    Tjm007 said:
    WW187806 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Good reviews will come for the new album and so will bad - from critics , fans etc.

but Dance of the Clairvoyants will still be crap.
    Sorry to hear you don't like it. It is awesome. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    Comes and Goes has grown on me the most since first listen two years ago. There's about a two minute stretch in Whoever Said that is still the best part of the album for me.