What does this audience want?

124»

Comments

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    I never understood the people who have "piss break" songs, like I just never got it.  

If I caught Pearl Jam shows 200 times in a row and all of those shows had Even Flow in them I would be perfectly happy.  The hits are hits for a reason, they are amazing songs.  

Like has been said before ...SOME OF US CAN'T HELP IT....once you get to a certain age you can't control everything. Why do you have to dis people cause they have to take a bathroom break? It doesn't mean someone doesn't love the songs, but if they don't that's fine too.
    I’m #teampee. The only time I’m making it 3 hours without peeing is if I’m asleep, and many times not then. Y’all sound like a buncha poorly hydrated mofos. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    The songs I haven't seen and really want to see in person:  SOLAT, Sad, Rats, Leash, Hard to Imagine, I got ID, Long Road, In my Tree, Pendulum.
    If Pendulum seems out of character compared with the rest of that list, I love that song and love it live.  My one LB tour show, LA-2, was just about the only show they didn't open with it.  But I got Breath and No-Way that show.  Those two would have been on the above list.
    You have great taste! 
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    49 shows so far. Gimme all the Gigaton. All of it.  If they played greatest hits or all rarities, either one is fine, but I want the new stuff. 
    46 shows for me so far. Purposely going to Toronto to see some Gigaton tracks played live for the first time ever. I don't expect they're gonna play it in entirety in YYZ, but I hope to get a handful. After that, give me the songs I need to complete albums: God's Dice, Big Wave, Getaway, My Father's Son, Can't Keep & Bu$hleaguer. And, I will always want Breath, Light Years, In Hiding and RVM.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

• MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    I don't like missing songs cause i wanna sing and then I buy the bootleg of the album and tell everyone i'm on the album too singing :s
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • I never understood the people who have "piss break" songs, like I just never got it.  

If I caught Pearl Jam shows 200 times in a row and all of those shows had Even Flow in them I would be perfectly happy.  The hits are hits for a reason, they are amazing songs.  

Like has been said before ...SOME OF US CAN'T HELP IT....once you get to a certain age you can't control everything. Why do you have to dis people cause they have to take a bathroom break? It doesn't mean someone doesn't love the songs, but if they don't that's fine too.
    Like I said in another reply before this one, we are talking about two different things. There is a difference between "I need to take a piss now" and pre-designating songs such as "if they play ___ I will go grab a beer or take a piss" and calling songs piss break songs on forums and whatnot.  The latter is the mindset I have always been baffled by
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I heard you can't trust a fart when you are over 50 too. I am not looking forward to that. I love me some cropdusting!
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    I never understood the people who have "piss break" songs, like I just never got it.  

Like I said in another reply before this one, we are talking about two different things. There is a difference between "I need to take a piss now" and pre-designating songs such as "if they play ___ I will go grab a beer or take a piss" and calling songs piss break songs on forums and whatnot.  The latter is the mindset I have always been baffled by
    i know i'm going to have to pee at SOME point; why not decide in advance when that is going to be? If I don't do that, I risk having to go during something I absolutely don't want to miss. 
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Normally, I'd love to have a show with deep cuts and do without some of the obvious ones like Even Flow...but this time around, I'll  be attending with my 2 young boys who are just getting into the band. It's also their first concert - so the experience for me will be watching them and how they react to the to the crowd and the overall PJ live experience. Really excited about this opportunity to share PJ with them
  • Saw PJ on the Riot Act tour for the first time, I was a baby @ 15 years old. It's been a healthy obsession ever since. Try to hit as many shows as I can. Definitely #1 favourite way to offload the disposable income. It's my happy place.

I love "collecting" songs I haven't heard before (gunning for Glorified G or WMA on this tour) & hearing my favourites for the umpteenth time (Given to Fly, Why Go, RVM, etc). Pretty much smiling & dancing for 3 straight hours.

I enjoy bringing loved ones to their first PJ concerts (countless exes, mom, sister, etc.). Bringing out my buddy Pete this year.

As much as I enjoy it, I have no hesitation for bathroom breaks. Usain Bolt style once I hear the opening chords of Elderly Woman.
    Toronto 2003, Hamilton 2005, Toronto 2005, Toronto 1&2 2006, Toronto 2009, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010, Toronto 1&2 2011, Hamilton 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014, Milwaukee 2014, New York City 2015, New York City 1&2 2016, Quebec City 2016, Ottawa 2016, Toronto 1&2 2016, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Madrid 2018, Chicago 1&2 2018, Los Angeles 1&2 2022, Quebec City 2022, Ottawa 2022, Hamilton 2022, Toronto 2022, Vancouver 1&2 2024, Seattle 1&2 2024, Baltimore 2024
  • ecdanc said:

i know i'm going to have to pee at SOME point; why not decide in advance when that is going to be? If I don't do that, I risk having to go during something I absolutely don't want to miss. 
    Well then what would happen then if the piss break song you already determined in advance was played as the second song in the setlist? Lol

And again it is the larger point - "piss break" can be interchangeable with "beer break" or "texting break" or anything really - it is more the expression of "I will actively find something else to do if they play ___"
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    They use to play Alive less frequent, than the last tour .I like the surprises. The left hooks. Now it was like: okay Alive, another song en than YL/ Infifference depending  if it was a two nighter or not. Don't get lazy with the setlist. I miss Fuckin Up. 
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    pjhawks said:
    Best performance i ever attended was a greatest hits show.  They were 100% going for it and they killed it.  
    Same boat here. My favorite was a greatest hits show but the band was just so on point that night, the set list flowed perfectly, crowd was rocking. There have been other shows where they’ve played a ton of rare stuff, which obviously I loved, but just took some of the life out of the building. Ideally, I like a mix of both old, new, hits, and rarities.
    Agree setlist flow is more important than what songs are played. 
    I have to say, saw them at Prague a few times. It was one of those rare shows where they played some rarities in a dog. And good songs: Sad, You, Leatherman etc. I know that there are many Ten fans here, but to me those ratities are special. They have been prolific after Ten. Show it and play it. Don't become an nostalgia band. Give us the jams. Love Off the Earth with a great guitar solo of Mike instead of Even Flow again.    
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    I don’t want to hear Eddie scolding is about his latest woke political beef between songs.

As for songs ? Merkinball in its entirety.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    edited February 2020

I’m with you. It almost seems like it’s the part of the cool kids club to say you’ll skip even flow. It’s a great song. I don’t care if I’ve heard it 20 times, I know I’ll get to see a great solo. 
    I just got off a 2 hour flight. I don’t think I saw more than 5 people use the restroom. I really don’t think there is this much of a dire need to go pee during a show. Obviously some of us can’t help it and sometimes it just happens, but based on the number of people who seem excited for a song so they can lee/get beer it really seems like it’s just part the cool club to dis on even flow more often than necessity.
    It would make more sense if they just said the first song they didn’t like, or the first cover, or the first encore, or the first rant/speech. So many other things would make more sense than to single out even flow every time. The first encore may have longer lines, but you get 3-5 minute break, chances are Ed will come out with some story before he plays. Why not miss that? Most of us know when that encore is coming, get a head start to the lines the last 20 seconds of the song before.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i have never missed a song even if not my favourite . but i do agree that i wish they would cut out some of their most played songs and go a little deeper with more rarities. i understand they have to play their hits just as the who would play won't get fooled again etc. at every show. i wish the stones over their career would have done this as well. there shows are almost the same year after year. thats why i stopped going. how many times can you hear start me up satisfaction,brown sugar.  great songs but every single time. 
  • MR242791 said:
    I don't like missing songs cause i wanna sing and then I buy the bootleg of the album and tell everyone i'm on the album too singing :s
    This ^ - love it! 
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited February 2020
    Don't drink much. Usually don't need a bathroom break during the show, but ... I am tired (for lack of a better word) of hearing live versions of Ten songs. Ten is a great album -- started it all for me when it first came out. Have been a fan since day one, but still ... With such a terrific catalogue of music that doesn't come from Ten, I'd MUCH rather hear non-Ten stuff than Ten stuff. Been there, done that -- let's hear more stuff from other records. Not stating a fact -- just an opinion.
  • TinaETinaE Posts: 1,490
    NEweather said:
    MR242791 said:
    This ^ - love it! 
    Just like that!!

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."