What does this audience want?

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited February 2020
    wrong thread!
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • I never understood the people who have "piss break" songs, like I just never got it.  

If I caught Pearl Jam shows 200 times in a row and all of those shows had Even Flow in them I would be perfectly happy.  The hits are hits for a reason, they are amazing songs.  

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    The concerts are 2.5-3 hours long.  What is so wrong about using the bathroom if nature happens to call?  It isn’t like this is a car ride, airplane about to land or a meeting where you need to hold it.  It is a rock concert. 

So strange.  
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2020
    The concerts are 2.5-3 hours long.  What is so wrong about using the bathroom if nature happens to call?  It isn’t like this is a car ride, airplane about to land or a meeting where you need to hold it.  It is a rock concert. 

So strange.  
    The concept of going when you need to go is a lot different than pre-designating a song as a piss break ahead of time and that is what is strange to me

Calling a song a piss break song or a beer break song, etc.  All pretense for "if they play __ I will go do something else" which as a concept I never understood.  
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792

So strange.  
    A lot of places u can really still here the music from wherever...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    RE658041 said:
    People who cant hold pee makes me angry.
    Then steer clear of me if you’re in LA! Or just silently fume :sunglasses:
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited February 2020
    hedonist said:
    RE658041 said:
    People who need to pee aren't really the big deal.  It is the people who weeble their way up and down the row to go get 2 very full cups of beer to dribble on me as they weeble back on past.  The number of beer runs in our row at The Lumineers a few weeks ago were absolutely ridiculous.  Every other song we had to move out of the row.  Add to it the people came down right after the show started.  We had to bail out of the row then, too.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    If you have to go, you have to go, no one should complain about that.  Do I pick songs, yes I do.  I've been to a lot of PJ shows, I wait for a particular song and I head out.  Do I drink alcohol, yes I do.  Your experience may be different from mine but unless I'm hurting you or being a complete asshole, leave me be.  Trust me, I will never be guilty of either.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Even Flow is so lame. Who wants to watch Mike doodle on his guitar for ten minutes?! We could have got sleeping by myself with all that extra time!

okay, seriously. Seeing Alive for the first time with the super loud singalong was an absolute highlight of my first show. I’m sure someone at that show had seen it 100 times before that. 

Lost Dogs is the album I picked up on a whim and got me into the band, so yeah, I’m more pumped to hear those songs than betterman. But when you’re in the moment and the crowd is rocking, betterman is pretty damn good too.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    49 shows so far. Gimme all the Gigaton. All of it.  If they played greatest hits or all rarities, either one is fine, but I want the new stuff. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    KN219077 said:
    Even Flow is so lame. Who wants to watch Mike doodle on his guitar for ten minutes?! We could have got sleeping by myself with all that extra time!

okay, seriously. Seeing Alive for the first time with the super loud singalong was an absolute highlight of my first show. I’m sure someone at that show had seen it 100 times before that. 

Lost Dogs is the album I picked up on a whim and got me into the band, so yeah, I’m more pumped to hear those songs than betterman. But when you’re in the moment and the crowd is rocking, betterman is pretty damn good too.
    "doodle on his guitar" :lol:

Yeah, I just hope no one acts like a dick when it comes to treating fellow concertgoers.

Me, I'll take what they give.  Agreed that the vibe of the place can definitely enhance the experience!
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    Vedd Hedd said:
    49 shows so far. Gimme all the Gigaton. All of it.  If they played greatest hits or all rarities, either one is fine, but I want the new stuff. 
    This person gets it.  Right there with ya!
  •  I'm usually able to time out my alcohol consumption so I don't have to go during the show.  But if it does happen, Even Flow is usually a safe bet due to how long it is and no worry of missing a 2nd song.  Or if you happen to catch Porch or RVM and it's still the 1st set, there's a good chance that will lead into the encore, giving you extra time.  Just say "excuse me" when passing people and don't be a dink.    
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I don't drink during concerts or flights.  Hate having to take a leak every ten minutes
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268

So strange.  
    The strange thing to me is when many talk about songs like Even Flow it comes across like they’d rather be in the bathroom than in their seats. 
    If nature happens then of course go. But I also think the majority of people if they time it right there should be no need to most of the time. It just sounds like more people enjoy the opportunity to try and squeeze one out than listen to certain songs.

• deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    RE658041 said:
    People who need to pee aren't really the big deal.  It is the people who weeble their way up and down the row to go get 2 very full cups of beer to dribble on me as they weeble back on past.  The number of beer runs in our row at The Lumineers a few weeks ago were absolutely ridiculous.  Every other song we had to move out of the row.  Add to it the people came down right after the show started.  We had to bail out of the row then, too.  
    This exactly. 

At Wrigley 18 my wife and I had field aisle seats and we kept getting interrupted by people going in and out to get beers. The dude next to us ended up getting so trashed he was pretty much passed out standing up. 

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Ed talks enough for multiple bathroom breaks during a show, why waste a song?
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    Even Flow = Toilet break
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
    Even Flow = Toilet break
    Even Eddie knows this. Or a smoke break I guess!

Honestly if you are not disrupting others do whatever you please! 
  • I would like a max of 2 covers.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • I never understood the people who have "piss break" songs, like I just never got it.  

If I caught Pearl Jam shows 200 times in a row and all of those shows had Even Flow in them I would be perfectly happy.  The hits are hits for a reason, they are amazing songs.  

Like has been said before ...SOME OF US CAN'T HELP IT....once you get to a certain age you can't control everything. Why do you have to dis people cause they have to take a bathroom break? It doesn't mean someone doesn't love the songs, but if they don't that's fine too.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Less covers. I am 100% onboard for less covers. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Honestly it would never happen, but if they did a whole set list with nothing but covers I think I would still think it was sick.
  • I think for any of us that have been to a lot of shows there are more people who it may be there 1st or 2nd show ever. I would be bummed if I was a huge fan and my first time seeing them they skipped EvenFlow or Alive , I know they have skipped them in the past but I cannot see a whole tour were they skip the hits.
    Less covers! Less covers!
  • PJNB said:
    But if they wanted to do an 8 minute version of Little Wing during the 2nd encore, I'd be down for that
    PJNB said:
    But if they wanted to do an 8 minute version of Little Wing during the 2nd encore, I'd be down for that
    Love that 95 Milwaukee Little Wing/Maggot Brain combo. 
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Honestly could be my favorite piece of Mikes guitar playing ever.
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Yeah, for sure
  • The songs I haven't seen and really want to see in person:  SOLAT, Sad, Rats, Leash, Hard to Imagine, I got ID, Long Road, In my Tree, Pendulum.
    If Pendulum seems out of character compared with the rest of that list, I love that song and love it live.  My one LB tour show, LA-2, was just about the only show they didn't open with it.  But I got Breath and No-Way that show.  Those two would have been on the above list.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river