What does this audience want?

CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
edited February 2020 in The Porch
I have attended 20 Pearl Jam shows.  Its been great fun.  But Im at a stage in my fandom where when I'm at show I use the songs from popular albums like TEN as an opportunity to grab a beer, check out merch and have a piss.  Maybe I'll stay in my seat for Porch (maybe).  Daughter?  I'm gone, but I'm good enough to get back for the tag.

I would trade the rest of the "radio play" for new stuff, covers and rarities.   I tend to think if you're reading on the porch forum you feel the same.

I always thought some one should tell Mick and Keith that no one really wants to hear Satisfaction.  Should someone tell Ed to put Even Flow away?

Now lets fight about it.

Cahoots

1992 VAN
1993 VAN
1998 Missoula
2000 Barcelona & Boise
2002 SEA 2x
2003 VAN
2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
2006 The Gorge
2009 SEA & VAN
2011 VAN
2013 Portland & VAN
2015 Mexico City
2018 Missoula
Post edited by Cahoots on

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I have been to 14 shows and have never missed a song and do not intend to. I do not drink though and have no desire to miss anything and hope I do not get to that level. 
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    edited February 2020
    I won’t miss a single song. Don’t drink alcohol and I’ve mastered the pre-show hydration and nutrition so that I don’t have to go to the bathroom during the show and I have the perfect amount of carbs/protein to keep me jumping through YL. 😉 

I think I’m around 25 shows. 
    Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • I just want a great show - whether that means a hit-filled show or all deep cuts, either way I am all in for all of it lol
  • Keep in mind that they have a huge catalog and it isn't easy to just whip out a rarity without a decent amount of practice.  I'm done with Evenflow and Alive, RITFW, Sirens, etc. but yeah you have to piss some time
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    The audience and overall vibe of the show would be completely dead if they didn’t sprinkle in the hits.  Although, demand for future shows would be so low that we would all get good seats!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    I can easily go 2 1/2 - 3 hours without needing to pee or poop.
    been to 20 shows too and never missed one song. And I’d rather hear Even Flow for what is probably the 21st time than to hear songs like You Are for a first or second. 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Fuck.  I pee frequently :angry:

I'm cool with whatever they pull out of their bag.  Enduring a song I'm not crazy about for five minutes isn't an issue.
  • PJNB said:
    I have been to 14 shows and have never missed a song and do not intend to. I do not drink though and have no desire to miss anything and hope I do not get to that level. 
    Same. Just less shows and i’m not paying the arena beer prices. 

In fact, I wouldn’t miss a song to any show I have purchased a ticket to if I can help it. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    hedonist said:

I'm cool with whatever they pull out of their bag.  Enduring a song I'm not crazy about for five minutes isn't an issue.
    I.P. Freely?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Best performance i ever attended was a greatest hits show.  They were 100% going for it and they killed it.  
  • I've seen 29 shows... Jeremy is my bathroom song.. and I don't drink either but when you're over 50 you can't control everything. 

• Best performance i ever attended was a greatest hits show.  They were 100% going for it and they killed it.  
    Same boat here. My favorite was a greatest hits show but the band was just so on point that night, the set list flowed perfectly, crowd was rocking. There have been other shows where they’ve played a ton of rare stuff, which obviously I loved, but just took some of the life out of the building. Ideally, I like a mix of both old, new, hits, and rarities.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Best performance i ever attended was a greatest hits show.  They were 100% going for it and they killed it.  
    Same boat here. My favorite was a greatest hits show but the band was just so on point that night, the set list flowed perfectly, crowd was rocking. There have been other shows where they’ve played a ton of rare stuff, which obviously I loved, but just took some of the life out of the building. Ideally, I like a mix of both old, new, hits, and rarities.
    Agree setlist flow is more important than what songs are played. 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:

I.P. Freely?
    Thank goodness, no =)  I ain't Depending on nothing!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    PJNB said:
    Absolutely feel the same way. 
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    I love hearing the songs that first drew me to the band.  I was 13 when I saw the unplugged performance and have been hooked since.  Seen them 15 times live and the only songs I can really do without are some of the covers. 

I might change the radio station when Even Flow comes on, but I don’t get upset hearing it live.  The energy In the place with everyone singing along is what makes it so electric.  

Ten brought me on board and I’ll never tire of it.  Or vs, or Vitalogy.  
  • RT85129RT85129 Posts: 179
    Honestly, would love to see Pearl Jam do some of their scorching covers that aren't played very often.  Would love to see them do Street Fighting Man, Ain't Talkin Bout Love, Black Diamond, etc.   Anything that has McCready trying to melt my face off with a searing guitar solo would be awesome. 
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    edited February 2020
    PJNB said:
    99 shows (began in 1995, Soldier Field), 11 more on my calendar this year, and same, have never missed a song and never will.  There is no greater high for me.  I go to a lot of shows but I don't drink at shows because (a) I don't need to enhance my enjoyment anymore than what is already my lifeblood and (b) don't want to take a bathroom break.  Honestly, I often wish that anybody who is less invested than me would stay home (not in a snobby way, but because they end up talking/moving around/getting drunk), but I know that's not realistic unfortunately.
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Aside from a song request here and there, I hope they never take setlist advice from this board.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    Unless I am near the front in GA, I have no problem taking a break to use the bathroom or even get food.  I can still hear the music.  2.5 hours is a long time and if you stop drinking to avoid bathroom breaks that means you are going 4-5 hours with food and bev. 

At one show I went to get a hot dog and started to hear a song I hadn’t recognized and went back to my seat.  Then realized it was Future Days  and left again to get that hot dog.
    PJNB said:
    99 shows (began in 1995, Soldier Field), 11 more on my calendar this year, and same, have never missed a song and never will.  There is no greater high for me.  I go to a lot of shows but I don't drink at shows because (a) I don't need to enhance my enjoyment anymore than what is already my lifeblood and (b) don't want to take a bathroom break.  Honestly, I often wish that anybody who is less invested than me would stay home (not in a snobby way, but because they end up talking/moving around/getting drunk), but I know that's not realistic unfortunately.
    Well said. Everyone enjoys them differently.  Bootlegger mentioned Future Days and it is probably in my bottom 10 songs but there is no chance I leave my spot in fear the next song is a song like Parting Ways and miss a note. 
  • I could go without hearing Alive, Jeremy, Daughter, Betterman, Given to Fly, Sirens and RITFW for a long, long time.

Also, as much as I still like RVM and Porch they have become stale as set closers.

It is time to mix it up, get some new songs in and play Riot Act in full. I'd keep Even Flow in there just for a beer run.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I don't miss songs, and I go to the bathroom and get beer refills. It's possible to hear songs on the concourse and in the bathroom. They play very loudly, in case you missed that. I enjoy whatever songs they choose to play. I like how they put their shows together. I tend to get a little restless during the slow set. That's when I take my break.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    JimmyV said:
    Aside from a song request here and there, I hope they never take setlist advice from this board.
    I hope they never visit this board at all. Pearl jam fans are the worst
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,163
    Pretty obvious what they want...30+ songs of the best rock n roll you’ll ever hear in your life! 🤘
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • rollings said:
    JimmyV said:
    In their entitlement, you are 100% correct. But at a show, there is no better group to be around 99% of the time. 

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    I have no idea why anyone would bash songs off Ten. I don’t want a whole concert of the album but give me 3-4 of the songs I fell in love with in 1992 and it’s like I’m a kid again. 

My dream set list has about 6-8 “deepish” cuts like In Hiding and Severed Hand. Also has about 4 songs from Ten, Vs and Vitalogy.  Then sprinkle in 2-3 from BS and LB.  reduce the covers to ones that are site appropriate (like when they did Rebel Rebel at Wrigley). 

And then the last encore is just 4 songs that I can sing too while drunk (Jeremy, State, Hail Hail, Animal) with YL to send me home renewed about the world again. 

The last thing I want at a show is Bugs, Dirty Frank, Army Reserve or RITFW. 
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    rollings said:
    JimmyV said:
    In their entitlement, you are 100% correct. But at a show, there is no better group to be around 99% of the time. 

In any given situation involving a crowd of any sort be it a concert with a different band, a fair, a church picnic, an amusement park, never in one place are there more generally-unfriendly people than at a pearl jam concert.   This has been a consistent observation made by me and by my friends in different state/venues over the years.

I was astonishied the first time I experienced it and the consistency of this still baffles me.  I'm not saying I haven't run into a friendly person or two...I'm saying the vast majority especially when compared to a large crowd in any other life situation ...and like I said including concerts of other bands.

It's weird 
  • Yea. I can see that. There is a different mentality inside the venue, but outside the venue (except the merch line) you generally find really cool people. I’ve met some great people in line and outside of shows. But yea, once you get inside, mostly GA it’s like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde kinda thing. It’s really sad. But the collective energy in the show from most of the die hard is hard to beat. The arms raised during Jeremy or the church choir part in DTE or numerous other moments during a show that only the faithful know really add to the experience. 

That being said, if we ever run into each other at a show, I really hope to be one of the good ones. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    rollings said:
    rollings said:
    JimmyV said:

In any given situation involving a crowd of any sort be it a concert with a different band, a fair, a church picnic, an amusement park, never in one place are there more generally-unfriendly people than at a pearl jam concert.   This has been a consistent observation made by me and by my friends in different state/venues over the years.

I was astonishied the first time I experienced it and the consistency of this still baffles me.  I'm not saying I haven't run into a friendly person or two...I'm saying the vast majority especially when compared to a large crowd in any other life situation ...and like I said including concerts of other bands.

It's weird 
    Complete opposite for me.