What does this audience want?

Comments

• MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,516
    rollings said:
    JimmyV said:
    Aside from a song request here and there, I hope they never take setlist advice from this board.
    I hope they never visit this board at all. Pearl jam fans are the worst

Pedophiles a close second?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited February 2020
    Yea. I can see that. There is a different mentality inside the venue, but outside the venue (except the merch line) you generally find really cool people. I’ve met some great people in line and outside of shows. But yea, once you get inside, mostly GA it’s like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde kinda thing. It’s really sad. But the collective energy in the show from most of the die hard is hard to beat. The arms raised during Jeremy or the church choir part in DTE or numerous other moments during a show that only the faithful know really add to the experience. 
    That being said, if we ever run into each other at a show, I really hope to be one of the good ones. 

You are
    Post edited by rollings on
  • CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
    Well, alright then.  You folks still wanna hear the radio hits and that's why PJ plays them.  

I still wanna get a beer and that's gonna make me have to piss and so it all balances out.  
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,756
    I’ve seen sweet lew live twice. End of my list 😂.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,756
    I will say I don’t care what they play, I just don’t want them to stop. Give me 35+ song set lists of whatever you want.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,012
    Philly 10 show was hot
  • rollings said:
    Yea. I can see that. There is a different mentality inside the venue, but outside the venue (except the merch line) you generally find really cool people. I’ve met some great people in line and outside of shows. But yea, once you get inside, mostly GA it’s like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde kinda thing. It’s really sad. But the collective energy in the show from most of the die hard is hard to beat. The arms raised during Jeremy or the church choir part in DTE or numerous other moments during a show that only the faithful know really add to the experience. 
    That being said, if we ever run into each other at a show, I really hope to be one of the good ones. 

You are
    😀😀
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rollings said:
    rollings said:
    JimmyV said:
    Aside from a song request here and there, I hope they never take setlist advice from this board.
    In their entitlement, you are 100% correct. But at a show, there is no better group to be around 99% of the time. 

In any given situation involving a crowd of any sort be it a concert with a different band, a fair, a church picnic, an amusement park, never in one place are there more generally-unfriendly people than at a pearl jam concert.   This has been a consistent observation made by me and by my friends in different state/venues over the years.

I was astonishied the first time I experienced it and the consistency of this still baffles me.  I'm not saying I haven't run into a friendly person or two...I'm saying the vast majority especially when compared to a large crowd in any other life situation ...and like I said including concerts of other bands.

It's weird 
    Wish you were coming to LA for a show, missy.  I'd set ya straight ;) 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    58 show veteran here.  You don’t like a song, go use the bathroom or grab a drink/food/merch.   Just don’t be an asshole when you head back to your spot/seat.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 18 shows to date. 

Think even flow and sirens are my only cues to take a piss.
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    i could handle less of ten  and more binaural riot act etc 
    danny d
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I love it when a setlist can still surprise me. I'm not just talking about a rare song, but more when a song gets pulled out that I didn't see coming, and you turn to your buddy/partner/neighbor, and have a great moment. I think that's what I like best about seeing PJ over any other band- that anticipation between songs, where you're staring at the stage like a dog waiting to be fed.
  • I would never miss a song at a PJ concert. I don't drink at concerts as I'm there for the show and don't need alcohol to help me enjoy it. 

One song I cannot stand is Last Kiss, but as PJNB said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't leave during it out of fear of missing something epic right after. 
  • To go back to the original post, I want a lot of deep cuts. A few hits mixed in. 

But most of all I want PJ to Drop the Leash!!! 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    McCready is incredible on Evenflow every single time. During Sirens he switches guitar midsong. The opening bass of Jeremy has popped every crowd that has ever heard it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    McCready is incredible on Evenflow every single time. During Sirens he switches guitar midsong. The opening bass of Jeremy has popped every crowd that has ever heard it.
    Facts.
  • St. Louis will be my 7th show. I've heard a lot of my truly favorite songs by them. I'm lucky to say I've heard Present Tense (my absolute favorite song by them) twice. At this point the band can basically play anything they want and I'll be excited. However, I know I'm in the minority when I say this, I don't need them playing a lot of Ten Era music. Ten has never been all that high on my favorite PJ album list. But especially now as someone who has been a fan for awhile, I mostly want to hear a good selection of songs from all their albums. Play songs from Riot Act, No Code, Binaural, Avocado too.
  • Loujoe said:
    Philly 10 show was hot
    Was amazing...Ten as a whole in Philly ... epic
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    edited February 2020
    Unless I am near the front in GA, I have no problem taking a break to use the bathroom or even get food.  I can still hear the music.  2.5 hours is a long time and if you stop drinking to avoid bathroom breaks that means you are going 4-5 hours with food and bev. 

At one show I went to get a hot dog and started to hear a song I hadn’t recognized and went back to my seat.  Then realized it was Future Days  and left again to get that hot dog.
    4-5 hours?
    Treat it like a plane ride. If you’re flight is 2.5 hours do you stop drinking 2 hours before you board? I don’t. Pee right before you get on and most people don’t use the airplane bathrooms. 
    Take a pee break right before they are scheduled to take the stage most people won’t have to change anything else. I don’t like paying show beer prices, $9 for a coors light in a fake bottle isn’t my thing. But I’ll bring in a water bottle if they let me and that doesn’t change anything.
    Do that many people really have a hard time not peeing for 2.5 hours?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Im happy to hear any song pretty much. Maybe a couple i would  prefer not to but i think im about 40.shows and still never left my spot
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I tried to get a beer during DTE at Fenway 1 in 2016. Almost missed Masters Of War. Never again.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    rollings said:
    JimmyV said:
    From my experience overall, more fans are shitty than not.
    I went to PJ20 with HIGH expectations of camaraderie. The shows were awesome of course. But with Very few exceptions, the people I came across were variations of asshole. From simple stuck up indifference to outright mean. Consequently, the next year in Atlanta (in my bottom 2 shows btw) other than one bitch in the bathroom line the rest of the 51,000+ there that crossed my path were awesome (so it isn't me)
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • You have to assume it's somebody's first Pearl Jam show, and they want to hear the songs that made them fall in love with the band.  

I personally love the crowd singing along like it's a huge party, and if happily sacrifice a couple of deep cuts if it means that happens.
  • The only thing I don’t wanna hear at a PJ show is Stone sing. Last Kiss, a close second but I won’t leave my seat if either happen. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    I just feel the energy.  Sometimes I piss and beer up during lightning bolt. Sometimes it's a lengthy rvm where you get some extra time with an encore... sometimes it's a random cover I dont care about. I try not to go during short songs or songs with crowd interaction

One thing is for sure....

Keep on rockin in the free world jammers
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited February 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Unless I am near the front in GA, I have no problem taking a break to use the bathroom or even get food.  I can still hear the music.  2.5 hours is a long time and if you stop drinking to avoid bathroom breaks that means you are going 4-5 hours with food and bev. 

At one show I went to get a hot dog and started to hear a song I hadn’t recognized and went back to my seat.  Then realized it was Future Days  and left again to get that hot dog.
    4-5 hours?
    Treat it like a plane ride. If you’re flight is 2.5 hours do you stop drinking 2 hours before you board? I don’t. Pee right before you get on and most people don’t use the airplane bathrooms. 
    Take a pee break right before they are scheduled to take the stage most people won’t have to change anything else. I don’t like paying show beer prices, $9 for a coors light in a fake bottle isn’t my thing. But I’ll bring in a water bottle if they let me and that doesn’t change anything.
    Do that many people really have a hard time not peeing for 2.5 hours?
    If I have a two or three beers before I head in the venue there is probably a good chance I’ll use the bathroom.  This isn’t a movie.  You aren’t going to miss a plot line if you step out for five minutes.  Just a GD concert.  

But then again, if I’m at a show by myself I’d leave whenever I hear the first notes of Alive so that I could beat traffic or not be stuck in a crowded subway.  

I was in the can’t miss a note camp for a long time.  Not anymore.  Gonna drink what I want when I want.  If I want to eat chicken tenders during Even Flow, I’m going to eat chicken tenders (I’ve done that before).    
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    PJNB said:
    I have been to 14 shows and have never missed a song and do not intend to. I do not drink though and have no desire to miss anything and hope I do not get to that level. 
    I have been to 15 shows and I have also never missed a song and don’t intend too.  I save all drinking for the post party. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    D-Rod said:
    PJNB said:
    I have been to 14 shows and have never missed a song and do not intend to. I do not drink though and have no desire to miss anything and hope I do not get to that level. 
    I have been to 15 shows and I have also never missed a song and don’t intend too.  I save all drinking for the post party. 
    I already told you how much the deposit was at my Airbnb. We are partying at @mcgruff10 hotel for sure in Quebec. 
    PJNB said:
    D-Rod said:
    PJNB said:
    I already told you how much the deposit was at my Airbnb. We are partying at @mcgruff10 hotel for sure in Quebec. 
    I m bringing a tent and sleeping out next to the st. lawrence.
  • RE658041RE658041 Posts: 406
    People who cant hold pee makes me angry.