Options

I Wish the Band Would Just Raise Ticket Prices to Market Value

Comments

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    JW269453 said:
    It's a shame Bloomberg didn't use all of that wasted campaign money to build Pearl Jam Stadium instead. A new state of the art 500k seat arena style stadium reserved for monthly concerts where the only people allowed to attend are deprived locals. Along with a rotating seating experience allowing everyone to get the front row treatment, a mandatory "Stop, and prove it" policy would be put into place of course to make sure no out-of-towners can enter the sacred grounds. Let's face it, if it wasn't for NY none of us other people living across this planet would have ever heard of Pearl Jam...they deserve so much more than the bounty of shows they have already received throughout the years.

I like a lot of what you have to say here, but I'd make one suggestion: instead of Bloomberg it should be James Dolan - sell the Knicks and use the cash to build a giant MSG Sphere in NYC.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    tdawe said:
    JW269453 said:
    It's a shame Bloomberg didn't use all of that wasted campaign money to build Pearl Jam Stadium instead. A new state of the art 500k seat arena style stadium reserved for monthly concerts where the only people allowed to attend are deprived locals. Along with a rotating seating experience allowing everyone to get the front row treatment, a mandatory "Stop, and prove it" policy would be put into place of course to make sure no out-of-towners can enter the sacred grounds. Let's face it, if it wasn't for NY none of us other people living across this planet would have ever heard of Pearl Jam...they deserve so much more than the bounty of shows they have already received throughout the years.

I like a lot of what you have to say here, but I'd make one suggestion: instead of Bloomberg it should be James Dolan - sell the Knicks and use the cash to build a giant MSG Sphere in NYC.
    Then he could trap Pearl Jam in the sphere and force them to play the baker's dozen shows NYC is entitled to! This is genius. We've figured it out.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    Lostpawn said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    I am one who will overpay, and not think twice about it.  I also love the fact that the band tries to allow everyone access, even if you can't afford (or don't want to pay) $500 or more to see a show.

My only suggestion to satisfy both ends of the spectrum would be the following:

-Tour more (duh).  But remember, they've only played 7 US Shows since the end of 2016.  There is pent up demand here that isn't being met by the spring tour.  One can hope the fall tour has a few more cities.  That would be a small help, but I don't expect the band to start banging out 60 shows a year.

-Spread the pricing out.  Have tiers of pricing based on seat quality.  Keep all the good things about verified fan, 10 C, etc.  Just simply charge a little more for lower level seats.  Not $150 more, but like $50 more. Every major event in America is priced based on seat quality.  Then hold back 20% of the tickets (or something like that) for charity.  Instead of putting 100 seats per night on Vitology at $1100 a pop, put 1000 tickets for sale at $250 a pop, use the money idiots like me are willing to throw at you for a good cause.  

-Have 90% of the tickets be non-transferrable.  Let Stubhub have their 10% (but not via bots, just via people winning the lotteries and listing them as individuals.  (This seems like it would be hard to manage, but it's an idea).

My primary complaint about F2F is that I had no idea it was going to involve needing to take days off of work to try and luck into a bite....They didn't explain it well (maybe that's TM fault?) and there wasn't a steady string of communication on exactly where and how the process was gonna play out.  Live and learn I hope.

Can't wait to start arguing over setlists soon...
    There's a lot going on here, but I'd just say that simultaneously suggesting that they should make the cheap tickets more expensive and the expensive tickets cheaper makes it sound like what you're really saying is "they should make the tickets fit my budget, specifically."
    Well, that's part of the challenge (trying to keep everyone happy).  I'm not advocating making cheap tickets more expensive.  Keep the price at around $100 to get in the building for 10C, Verified Fan, etc.  Just hold back a smaller percentage of all the tickets, then use the held back tickets for higher priced/charity/etc.  Again, I realize it's not simple, and I'm just suggesting things to placate more folks.  

Aren’t the Vitalogy tickets exactly what you describe?
    yes, and they got sucked up just as fast as the regulars, which is why I suggest a larger group of tickets to be allocated for charity at a slightly lower price point than $1100 a piece.  You would wind up with more $$ going to the foundation.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    Hankj25 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    I am one who will overpay, and not think twice about it.  I also love the fact that the band tries to allow everyone access, even if you can't afford (or don't want to pay) $500 or more to see a show.

-Tour more (duh).  But remember, they've only played 7 US Shows since the end of 2016.  There is pent up demand here that isn't being met by the spring tour.  One can hope the fall tour has a few more cities.  That would be a small help, but I don't expect the band to start banging out 60 shows a year.

-Spread the pricing out.  Have tiers of pricing based on seat quality.  Keep all the good things about verified fan, 10 C, etc.  Just simply charge a little more for lower level seats.  Not $150 more, but like $50 more. Every major event in America is priced based on seat quality.  Then hold back 20% of the tickets (or something like that) for charity.  Instead of putting 100 seats per night on Vitology at $1100 a pop, put 1000 tickets for sale at $250 a pop, use the money idiots like me are willing to throw at you for a good cause.  

-Have 90% of the tickets be non-transferrable.  Let Stubhub have their 10% (but not via bots, just via people winning the lotteries and listing them as individuals.  (This seems like it would be hard to manage, but it's an idea).

My primary complaint about F2F is that I had no idea it was going to involve needing to take days off of work to try and luck into a bite....They didn't explain it well (maybe that's TM fault?) and there wasn't a steady string of communication on exactly where and how the process was gonna play out.  Live and learn I hope.

There's a lot going on here, but I'd just say that simultaneously suggesting that they should make the cheap tickets more expensive and the expensive tickets cheaper makes it sound like what you're really saying is "they should make the tickets fit my budget, specifically."
    Well, that's part of the challenge (trying to keep everyone happy).  I'm not advocating making cheap tickets more expensive.  Keep the price at around $100 to get in the building for 10C, Verified Fan, etc.  Just hold back a smaller percentage of all the tickets, then use the held back tickets for higher priced/charity/etc.  Again, I realize it's not simple, and I'm just suggesting things to placate more folks.  

yes, and they got sucked up just as fast as the regulars, which is why I suggest a larger group of tickets to be allocated for charity at a slightly lower price point than $1100 a piece.  You would wind up with more $$ going to the foundation.
    If they're getting sucked up fast, why would they lower the price?
  • Options
    I seriously cannot tell whether this thread was created as parody or is serious lol
  • Options
    I seriously cannot tell whether this thread was created as parody or is serious lol
    That first post reads like it is serious. 

• Options
    Just because it was serious doesn't mean it needs to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,172
    Basically right now (Excluding NY and Colorado) we have arenas full of fans that paid about $125 USD/ticket.   The amount of scalpers trying to sell burner TM accounts is probably small, so something like 95% paid face value.

If they charged market value, it would still be full of fans, but full of fans that paid more.    Maybe a different set of fans (or partially different set).    It's not like fans aren't getting into the shows.  It's that not the "right" fans are, and you want their tickets?  That's cold.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    edited February 2020
    JimmyV said:
    tdawe said:
    JW269453 said:

Then he could trap Pearl Jam in the sphere and force them to play the baker's dozen shows NYC is entitled to! This is genius. We've figured it out.
    This could work. It would be extremely unfair for NYC to only have 1 NBA team though because of the demand they face. I'm just spitballing here, but what if the Globetrotters were granted access into the NBA and called Giant MSG Sphere their home court? Since that is basically the style of play the league has adopted over the last decade it seems like a beautiful marriage. They would obviously be forced to change their name to the Harlem Jammers and would have to use the Ament stick figure as their logo. Win-win?

• Options
    Image result for stephen king the dome

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,184
    JW269453 said:

Pearl Jam Stadium :lol:

Stadiums cost upwards of a billion btw. That’s why cities used to lose teams (☹️ Baltimore). Bloomy has only spent about half of that. ;)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    $1700 per ticket just listed for Baltimore.  Who s buying them?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Come on peeps, who s buying?  
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:

reading comprehension 101.  If there are 1000 tickets for sale at $1100 a piece, I doubt they sell them.  They put 100 Vitalogy tickets or something on the block now, at $1k each.  Raise $100k. 

If they put 1000 Vitalogy tickets on the block at $400 a piece, they'd raise 400k.  You'd still have 95% of the arena in at "face value of $120 a pop", but you could also cater to those who want to throw more money at you (but still can't stomach 4 figures a ticket).  And your foundation gets more cash.  
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:

reading comprehension 101.  If there are 1000 tickets for sale at $1100 a piece, I doubt they sell them.  They put 100 Vitalogy tickets or something on the block now, at $1k each.  Raise $100k. 

If they put 1000 Vitalogy tickets on the block at $400 a piece, they'd raise 400k.  You'd still have 95% of the arena in at "face value of $120 a pop", but you could also cater to those who want to throw more money at you (but still can't stomach 4 figures a ticket).  And your foundation gets more cash.  
    Thanks for that explanation but you're just making up the numbers. A whole bunch of Vitalogy tickets just dropped for various shows, including ones for MSG that approached $3K, and got taken within minutes. Why wouldn't they cater to those who want to throw more money at them and CAN stomach 4 figures a ticket?
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,480
    I agree with the original poster.    I would rather all rich people fill up the shows.  Usually makes for a fun atmosphere. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I agree with the original poster.    I would rather all rich people fill up the shows.  Usually makes for a fun atmosphere. 

"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:

Thanks for that explanation but you're just making up the numbers. A whole bunch of Vitalogy tickets just dropped for various shows, including ones for MSG that approached $3K, and got taken within minutes. Why wouldn't they cater to those who want to throw more money at them and CAN stomach 4 figures a ticket?
    Well of course I'm just making up numbers.  It's a hypothetical.   The market of folks who will spend $1500 a ticket to go see them is small.  Yes, they release a couple hundred tickets at these prices and they sell.  But the whole point of my hypothetical is that what if they released 5x as many tickets, but lowered the price to 1/3rd?  They'd get more money, and I'm making the assumption more folks like me would pony up $400-500 a ticket to get really good seats if I got shut out of 10C lottery.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This is gold 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    There was a lottery, a verified fan sale, a public sale, and now a fan 2 fan sale. You had plenty of options   

I'm 0-4 🙄
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    bobtoast said:
    JimmyV said:
    There was a lottery, a verified fan sale, a public sale, and now a fan 2 fan sale. You had plenty of options   

I'm 0-4 🙄
    Sorry man. It does suck. Fingers crossed you find Tix.

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,776
    KN219077 said:
    Play more shows. The band wouldn’t have outrageous demand if they actually toured. 
    Ok, I'm only on page one of this thread . . . you obviously know nothing about PJ fans.  They could tour every year and the demand would be the same.  I can personally attest to that, I believe I saw them for 6+ years in a row at one point.  Whether it was a full PJ tour, Bridge appearances, it was a long run for sure.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    Vedd Hedd said:

It’s a Pearl Jam concert. The fan base finally made its way to the 40 and 50 year old demo. Classic  rock saw this 15 years ago. Rich white people will be filling up the shows no matter what.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,191
    Vedd Hedd said:

It’s a Pearl Jam concert. The fan base finally made its way to the 40 and 50 year old demo. Classic  rock saw this 15 years ago. Rich white people will be filling up the shows no matter what.
    "Filling" might be overstating it. Lot of non-rich white folks there too
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:

Well of course I'm just making up numbers.  It's a hypothetical.   The market of folks who will spend $1500 a ticket to go see them is small.  Yes, they release a couple hundred tickets at these prices and they sell.  But the whole point of my hypothetical is that what if they released 5x as many tickets, but lowered the price to 1/3rd?  They'd get more money, and I'm making the assumption more folks like me would pony up $400-500 a ticket to get really good seats if I got shut out of 10C lottery.

You are suggesting something very similar to what Rage is trying to do. They announced they will be holding back 10% of tickets for charity at premium prices, to undercut scalpers. The tickets will be released periodically based on scalper prices. 

what sounded like a good idea at first seems to perhaps not be so hot as prices climbed to as high as $1500. 

Edit, don’t really get what Rage is up to as there are plenty of lower bowl seats for under $400
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    I disagree with all tickets being $500.  I don’t know what the best solution is but surely it isn’t that.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Love how going to a Rock N Roll show has became the antithesis if everything it once stood against. Co -opted at every turn and being sold off to the highest bidder.  :rofl:
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    kst said:
    I disagree with all tickets being $500.  I don’t know what the best solution is but surely it isn’t that.

All tickets at $500 is not fair. But charging same price for the front row and roof is not fair either. 
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Image result for charlie sheen winning meme
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014