Options

I Wish the Band Would Just Raise Ticket Prices to Market Value

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    edited February 2020
    PB11041 said:
    Hell no. I would rather miss 20 shows because of bad luck and great prices than be forced to pay 500 to get in the building. 

To about a quarter of the country there never is such a thing as great prices for a majority of the fans. 

Either you pay to travel, pay the scalpers, or pay front row prices to sit on the ceiling. Or win a lottery once a decade if you're lucky.
    If you play the lottery right, you win well more often than once a decade. If you are insistent on only hitting shows in NYC, that's the chance you take. 

The context is great prices.

Even if I had the availability to take a few days to travel whenever a tour drops, that costs hundreds of dollars to travel plus the value of the days taken. That's very expensive. I've done and enjoyed it, but it comes at a steep cost.  

They love their small markets, I get that. They like to rattle off from the stage all the small cities they have played over the years..

But that brings winners and losers. If you live among the masses, a fair face value ticket without spending huge amounts of money is not a realistic occurence.
    you can't be freaking serious when you say this, there is nowhere they cater more to than large cities since 2008.  

I can't ever recall hearing them "rattle off from the stage all the small cities they've played over the years" even once, let alone enough times for me to think that they like doing it.

Off the top of my head- listen to Krakow 2018. Damn good show. Ed rattles off all the different cities played. It's quite cool.

At least 20 shows this year are in markets under one mil.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    If Eddie prefaces “Elderly Woman..” by shouting out your city then you qualify as a small market.  

This rule was established by at least 1996.  
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    it's kind of funny to hear people say they shouldn't charge $500 because it's too expensive...but in the same breath tell people to just travel to see a show...and you know spend more than $500.

playing 2 northeast shows on this leg, one in a small venue just makes for ridiculous demand over supply. for all they do for the fans, that is kind of not good for fans you know
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    pjhawks said:
    it's kind of funny to hear people say they shouldn't charge $500 because it's too expensive...but in the same breath tell people to just travel to see a show...and you know spend more than $500.

playing 2 northeast shows on this leg, one in a small venue just makes for ridiculous demand over supply. for all they do for the fans, that is kind of not good for fans you know
    Why are you comparing ticket sales to cost of travel?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    They really should have just skipped us in the Northeast altogether. Then...we'd be happy?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    JimmyV said:
    They really should have just skipped us in the Northeast altogether. Then...we'd be happy?

Some people live to complain.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    You have it backwards; they should have done a 10 date tour of the 5 Burroughs for the long suffering fans in the NYC area. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:

i'm responding to those folks saying just travel for shows. what is the difference if i spend $500 on a ticket to a local show or $500 or more to travel to see the show?  and yes I am travelling for a show because I knew of chances of winning the lottery for NYC or Baltimore was gonna be low.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    You have it backwards; they should have done a 10 date tour of the 5 Burroughs for the long suffering fans in the NYC area. 
    Not a baker's dozen? PHISH DID IT!!! WHY IS PEARL JAM SO LAZY?!?!?

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Not a baker's dozen? PHISH DID IT!!! WHY IS PEARL JAM SO LAZY?!?!?
    wHy Do ThEy HaTe ThE nOrThEaSt??
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    I am one who will overpay, and not think twice about it.  I also love the fact that the band tries to allow everyone access, even if you can't afford (or don't want to pay) $500 or more to see a show.

My only suggestion to satisfy both ends of the spectrum would be the following:

-Tour more (duh).  But remember, they've only played 7 US Shows since the end of 2016.  There is pent up demand here that isn't being met by the spring tour.  One can hope the fall tour has a few more cities.  That would be a small help, but I don't expect the band to start banging out 60 shows a year.

-Spread the pricing out.  Have tiers of pricing based on seat quality.  Keep all the good things about verified fan, 10 C, etc.  Just simply charge a little more for lower level seats.  Not $150 more, but like $50 more. Every major event in America is priced based on seat quality.  Then hold back 20% of the tickets (or something like that) for charity.  Instead of putting 100 seats per night on Vitology at $1100 a pop, put 1000 tickets for sale at $250 a pop, use the money idiots like me are willing to throw at you for a good cause.  

-Have 90% of the tickets be non-transferrable.  Let Stubhub have their 10% (but not via bots, just via people winning the lotteries and listing them as individuals.  (This seems like it would be hard to manage, but it's an idea).

My primary complaint about F2F is that I had no idea it was going to involve needing to take days off of work to try and luck into a bite....They didn't explain it well (maybe that's TM fault?) and there wasn't a steady string of communication on exactly where and how the process was gonna play out.  Live and learn I hope.

Can't wait to start arguing over setlists soon...
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 219
    Do you really think they want to do all that work? This is the best model to get fans in the building for the price the band wants to charge I have ever seen.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,187
    At broadway theaters they call this Premium Seating. Usually orchestra center rows 5-10 or so. Most people hate the idea but it allows the show to discount the lesser seats and not lose money. Most shows also lottery off the first two rows for $10-$35 a ticket.

However, this is theater, not a rock show by a band who has often pushed equality.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    I see the OP's point and understand the frustration.  Prior to the 2003 tour, 10C members could choose one show per tour for 10C tickets, and for any other show, you needed to compete with the general public.  But the guarantee was that you'd get the best seats, and that was true.  When you could get 10C tickets to multiple shows, then the seating suffered.  And it was, and is still a caste system based on join date.  In 2003, I watched as thousands of people flew in to town and got seats in front of me.  My seats were fair-good and sometimes bad.  Except for the lottery where someone with a low-caste 10C number got to sit in the 1st couple of rows, once a crappy 10C number, always a crappy 10C number, stay in your peanut-gallery section.  I for example have never gotten really good seats.  I joined about 18 years ago.  At LA2, I'll be rear floor and doubt if I'll be able to see.  I'd rather be up in the back by Kobe's jersey than rear floor.  The OP wants to be able to save up, pay up because it is important for him/her to see them up close at least once in their lives.  I would too.  I've thought of buying 10C tickets and Ticketmaster tickets and just using the better ones, leaving the other empty.  That's how bad rear floor is.  So frankly I feel the OP's frustration.  Not sure if big-$$$ is the solution or something else would be.  I like the one show per tour idea.  That feels like a 'club'.  Exclusive, good seats, etc.  Would reduce people flying in and pushing me back.  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,354
    edited February 2020
    pjhawks said:

If they charged $500 a ticket, it would fuck the people who live in areas where PJ doesn't tour. 
    Post edited by NewfieintheUSA on
  • Options
    F2F is the first chance to sell your tickets and the fourth chance (at least) to buy tickets. It's working fine. There was never going to be a large quantity to choose from because most people who buy tickets do intend to use them. Anyone thinking they would be able to logon and browse a new inventory of tickets at their leisure had unrealistic expectations. 

If you are inclined to take days off trying to score tickets, wait. The best opportunity may be in the few days before a show when people have conflicts and can't get there.  

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:

i'm responding to those folks saying just travel for shows. what is the difference if i spend $500 on a ticket to a local show or $500 or more to travel to see the show?  and yes I am travelling for a show because I knew of chances of winning the lottery for NYC or Baltimore was gonna be low.
    I would say the difference is if I had to travel to see a show, which I always have to do where I live, now my trip is $1000 to see them instead of $600. Also traveling you get the benefit of visiting beautiful cities on top of that so I feel like yes $500 is $500 but difficult to compare. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:

I would say the difference is if I had to travel to see a show, which I always have to do where I live, now my trip is $1000 to see them instead of $600. Also traveling you get the benefit of visiting beautiful cities on top of that so I feel like yes $500 is $500 but difficult to compare. 
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    People really want a pair of tickets to be $1,000? That's really what some of you want? 

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    Hankj25 said:
    I am one who will overpay, and not think twice about it.  I also love the fact that the band tries to allow everyone access, even if you can't afford (or don't want to pay) $500 or more to see a show.

-Tour more (duh).  But remember, they've only played 7 US Shows since the end of 2016.  There is pent up demand here that isn't being met by the spring tour.  One can hope the fall tour has a few more cities.  That would be a small help, but I don't expect the band to start banging out 60 shows a year.

-Spread the pricing out.  Have tiers of pricing based on seat quality.  Keep all the good things about verified fan, 10 C, etc.  Just simply charge a little more for lower level seats.  Not $150 more, but like $50 more. Every major event in America is priced based on seat quality.  Then hold back 20% of the tickets (or something like that) for charity.  Instead of putting 100 seats per night on Vitology at $1100 a pop, put 1000 tickets for sale at $250 a pop, use the money idiots like me are willing to throw at you for a good cause.  

-Have 90% of the tickets be non-transferrable.  Let Stubhub have their 10% (but not via bots, just via people winning the lotteries and listing them as individuals.  (This seems like it would be hard to manage, but it's an idea).

My primary complaint about F2F is that I had no idea it was going to involve needing to take days off of work to try and luck into a bite....They didn't explain it well (maybe that's TM fault?) and there wasn't a steady string of communication on exactly where and how the process was gonna play out.  Live and learn I hope.

There's a lot going on here, but I'd just say that simultaneously suggesting that they should make the cheap tickets more expensive and the expensive tickets cheaper makes it sound like what you're really saying is "they should make the tickets fit my budget, specifically."
  • Options
    I’m okay with limiting 10C ticket choices to 3 shows per tour or something. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I respect your opinion but I bet you are ok with going to 3 shows a tour or less. The fact is if someone can get more than 3 shows a tour with 1 10club account that means some markets are not in demand. Why would 10 club leave ticket sales on the table for those shows and not let us have a crack at them? Imagine putting Quebec City or OKC as your 5th pick and you get denied just because you are at your max and no one gets that ticket until VF or public sale. 
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 561
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:

Agree. I would rather the extra money spent go to actual businesses that help them than a sleazy scalper making all that money. The country is beautiful and the experiences travelling can be wonderful and memorable. 
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:

There's a lot going on here, but I'd just say that simultaneously suggesting that they should make the cheap tickets more expensive and the expensive tickets cheaper makes it sound like what you're really saying is "they should make the tickets fit my budget, specifically."
    Well, that's part of the challenge (trying to keep everyone happy).  I'm not advocating making cheap tickets more expensive.  Keep the price at around $100 to get in the building for 10C, Verified Fan, etc.  Just hold back a smaller percentage of all the tickets, then use the held back tickets for higher priced/charity/etc.  Again, I realize it's not simple, and I'm just suggesting things to placate more folks.  

Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I respect your opinion but I bet you are ok with going to 3 shows a tour or less. The fact is if someone can get more than 3 shows a tour with 1 10club account that means some markets are not in demand. Why would 10 club leave ticket sales on the table for those shows and not let us have a crack at them? Imagine putting Quebec City or OKC as your 5th pick and you get denied just because you are at your max and no one gets that ticket until VF or public sale. 

Agree, limiting how many shows you can enter for does little to help with the high demand markets. It will just end up putting more tickets for lower demand shows in the public sale.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    They've effectively done this with prioritization. If you're getting tickets to a show with your 4th or lower choice, they've already handled all the locals who wanted it with one of their top choices. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    They've effectively done this with prioritization. If you're getting tickets to a show with your 4th or lower choice, they've already handled all the locals who wanted it with one of their top choices. 
    That’s true. I didn’t think about it that way. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Hankj25 said:
    tdawe said:
    Hankj25 said:

Well, that's part of the challenge (trying to keep everyone happy).  I'm not advocating making cheap tickets more expensive.  Keep the price at around $100 to get in the building for 10C, Verified Fan, etc.  Just hold back a smaller percentage of all the tickets, then use the held back tickets for higher priced/charity/etc.  Again, I realize it's not simple, and I'm just suggesting things to placate more folks.  

Aren’t the Vitalogy tickets exactly what you describe?
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    It's a shame Bloomberg didn't use all of that wasted campaign money to build Pearl Jam Stadium instead. A new state of the art 500k seat arena style stadium reserved for monthly concerts where the only people allowed to attend are deprived locals. Along with a rotating seating experience allowing everyone to get the front row treatment, a mandatory "Stop, and prove it" policy would be put into place of course to make sure no out-of-towners can enter the sacred grounds. Let's face it, if it wasn't for NY none of us other people living across this planet would have ever heard of Pearl Jam...they deserve so much more than the bounty of shows they have already received throughout the years.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

If they charged $500 a ticket, it would fuck the people who live in areas where PJ doesn't tour. 
    true but not if the higher demand areas have higher ticket costs.  should NYC really have the same cost for a ticket as say Oklahoma City?  bottom line is demand is way too high to play only 2 shows in the NE on a leg of a tour.