Options

Pearl Jam at The Apollo

Comments

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,191
    Looks like winners are being notified. Anyone score??
  • Options
    MakeUSmileMakeUSmile NJ Posts: 1,063
    SHZA said:
    Looks like winners are being notified. Anyone score??
    Ah shit!  Good luck everyone!  Really hope to see some winners from here. 
    can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
  • Options
    Can’t believe I won the contest!!!
  • Options
    laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128

Woohoo! Congrats!
  • Options
    laa1025 said:
    ccarey2323 said:k

Woohoo! Congrats!
    Thanks!   So pumped 
  • Options
    MakeUSmileMakeUSmile NJ Posts: 1,063
    Congrats! Did you receive an email today notifying you that you won? 
    can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
  • Options
    Do we think it will be a full set?  Wasn’t sure since it’s a Sirius show
  • Options
    I think it's going to be a full set.  Congrats!  Curious, are you local to NY area or do you have to travel?  Wondering if they are selecting more local people due to the short heads-up on having to book travel to NY (if not from the area).
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Wow....congrats!!
  • Options
    laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128
    Duration on one contest...or the charity one...said 2 hours.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Anyone know the final selling price for the Charitybuzz auction? Just curious at what bizarro price they sold. Last I looked the pair of tix were at 15.5K with fifteen minutes to go.
  • Options
    I live in CT. Like 60 miles from NYC.  Just got an email
  • Options
    AB285441 said:
    I think it's going to be a full set.  Congrats!  Curious, are you local to NY area or do you have to travel?  Wondering if they are selecting more local people due to the short heads-up on having to book travel to NY (if not from the area).
    Congrats ccarey2323!

Phish 2019 was a full show.  Definitely didn't notice any Sirius exec/suit/industry/sponsor presence and seemed like pretty much everyone there were legit fans.
    Not surprised that they're pulling winners from NYC metro area since don't really have to worry about travel/lodging on short notice.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • Options
    Picking winners based on location would not be consistent with the official rules, which say it's a random drawing and odds of winning depend on the number of entries, not proximity to the venue. 
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    I didn't get an email and i live in brooklyn NY :s
    if anyone has a spare and wants to take a lady I will buy you drinks.
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Picking winners based on location would not be consistent with the official rules, which say it's a random drawing and odds of winning depend on the number of entries, not proximity to the venue. 
    Truth, and a valid point.  But who could really challenge them on that and argue it wasn't 'random'
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    They actually do it for a lot of their shows.  They'll send out email contests for local concerts in the subscriber's market with title "tickets to see what you love."  Sure there's some allotment of "national" tickets for winners that's random, but its probably a very small proportion (even less for this show since majority of winners were already allocated in 2020).  From past experience seems like they pull pretty large proportion of winners in the local market email contests.  Talking to people at the Phish 2019 show in Philly pretty much all of us lived within ~60 miles or so of the venue.  From Sirius' perspective easier to pull winners locally who are more likely to actually attend the show and not have to worry about empty seats or re-allocating tickets at the last minute.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • Options
    AB285441 said:
    SHZA said:
    Truth, and a valid point.  But who could really challenge them on that and argue it wasn't 'random'
    Actually, the official rules state that a "winner's list" is available upon request. If there are more than a handful of winners and they're all in the metro area, that would be a pretty good indication that it's not random. Would any disgruntled fan actually investigate it? Probably not, but I'd think Sirius wouldn't want to take that chance. Sirius doesn't really have anything to gain from rigging it to pick NY-area winners; if out of town fans can't make it, they could always pick an alternate winner or give the tickets to staff, etc. 
  • Options
    kosteva2 said:
    SHZA said:
    They actually do it for a lot of their shows.  They'll send out email contests for local concerts in the subscriber's market with title "tickets to see what you love."  Sure there's some allotment of "national" tickets for winners that's random, but its probably a very small proportion (even less for this show since majority of winners were already allocated in 2020).  From past experience seems like they pull pretty large proportion of winners in the local market email contests.  Talking to people at the Phish 2019 show in Philly pretty much all of us lived within ~60 miles or so of the venue.  From Sirius' perspective easier to pull winners locally who are more likely to actually attend the show and not have to worry about empty seats or re-allocating tickets at the last minute.
    I've received the "tickets to see what you love" contests for local venues. Those contests specifically state that it is limited to subscribers in a certain geographic area. These rules don't say that. 
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    AB285441 said:
    SHZA said:
    Actually, the official rules state that a "winner's list" is available upon request. If there are more than a handful of winners and they're all in the metro area, that would be a pretty good indication that it's not random. Would any disgruntled fan actually investigate it? Probably not, but I'd think Sirius wouldn't want to take that chance. Sirius doesn't really have anything to gain from rigging it to pick NY-area winners; if out of town fans can't make it, they could always pick an alternate winner or give the tickets to staff, etc. 

I don't think it's about gaining or losing, and while I agree the choice should really be on those chosen on whether to attend, the reality is it gives people very short-notice to book travel.  I think that would cause Sirius customers to be more disgruntled than anything...winning but deciding it's just too costly and, thus, I have to give up my ticket.  This coupled with Kosetva's point that Sirius might, in fact, risk having empty seats at that venue could indicate it's more efficient and effective to do a 'random drawing' with a parameter of a 'certain geographic distance' attached to it.  The concept of a random drawing and odds of winning are two different things...random drawing is really in the hands of those doing the drawing.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'd be shocked if anyone who won the contest would miss out on the opportunity to see PJ at the Apollo because it's too hard to book travel. But even if that happened, being angry at sirius for giving you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity makes no sense. On the other hand, if it turns out sirius was running a fraudulent contest that didn't actually give out-of-town fans a chance to win, that anger would be more than justified. There is also no risk of empty seats. Apollo capacity is 1,500. Even if all the winners were from Alaska and none of them showed up (again, I'd be shocked if a single winner doesn't show), there is going to be a line of fans outside who will gladly fill any empty seats. Yes, odds and random are different things, but picking winners based on their geographic area is the opposite of a "random drawing."
  • Options
    Reality is no one really knows how many tickets Sirius is even allocating to fans.  Venue holds ~1,500.  Someone earlier in thread alluded to 80 or so tickets allocated to phone-in winners in 2020.  No one really knows how many tickets Sirius keeping for themselves/sponsors/industry.  No one knows how many tickets were allocated to fans in the 2020 email contest (or how many of those winners still planning on going).  No one knows how many tickets were left to award this time around in the email/mail/app pop op contest (but it has to be extremely small given how many they likely doled out in 2020).  It's Sirius' thing and they can do whatever they want with it.

There's definitely a correlation with the local zip codes for their contests with the second chance "tickets to see what you love" email contests for subscribers.  In 2019 when I had a Philadelphia area address on my Sirius account I got picked in one of these for Phish show December 2019 in Philly.  Vast majority of the people I talked to at that show seemed to be local and got in this way.  When they announced the contest for the Apollo in ~February 2020 I temporarily changed the address on my account to my Pearl Jam touring buddy's NYC work address.  Sure enough I got the second chance "tickets to see what you love" email for Pearl Jam and won a pair for the Apollo, likely through that version of the contest.

For anyone looking to get in to the Apollo but no luck as an official winner, there's still a chance.  Phish 2019 in Philly there was a standby list curated by fans the day of the show.  Might be a little trickier w/ the Apollo since smaller venue and a lot of fans already in the area for the MSG show 9/11 (Phish was a one-off show), but its an opportunity for anyone looking to get in.
     How The Ticketless Masses All Made It Into Phish At The Met Philly (liveforlivemusic.com)
  • Options
    I got an email from them titled "Claim your free gift". It was 6 months of Apple music. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
    Congratulations to all the winners!!
  • Options
    JadlerJadler Posts: 705
    Just got my re-confirmation email! I can’t believe this is actually happening! See ya’ll next weekend! 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kosteva2 said:
    Reality is no one really knows how many tickets Sirius is even allocating to fans.  Venue holds ~1,500.  Someone earlier in thread alluded to 80 or so tickets allocated to phone-in winners in 2020.  No one really knows how many tickets Sirius keeping for themselves/sponsors/industry.  No one knows how many tickets were allocated to fans in the 2020 email contest (or how many of those winners still planning on going).  No one knows how many tickets were left to award this time around in the email/mail/app pop op contest (but it has to be extremely small given how many they likely doled out in 2020).  It's Sirius' thing and they can do whatever they want with it.

There's definitely a correlation with the local zip codes for their contests with the second chance "tickets to see what you love" email contests for subscribers.  In 2019 when I had a Philadelphia area address on my Sirius account I got picked in one of these for Phish show December 2019 in Philly.  Vast majority of the people I talked to at that show seemed to be local and got in this way.  When they announced the contest for the Apollo in ~February 2020 I temporarily changed the address on my account to my Pearl Jam touring buddy's NYC work address.  Sure enough I got the second chance "tickets to see what you love" email for Pearl Jam and won a pair for the Apollo, likely through that version of the contest.

For anyone looking to get in to the Apollo but no luck as an official winner, there's still a chance.  Phish 2019 in Philly there was a standby list curated by fans the day of the show.  Might be a little trickier w/ the Apollo since smaller venue and a lot of fans already in the area for the MSG show 9/11 (Phish was a one-off show), but its an opportunity for anyone looking to get in.
     How The Ticketless Masses All Made It Into Phish At The Met Philly (liveforlivemusic.com)
    I don't doubt that the "tickets to see what you love" contests are geographically targeted based on zip codes. I have gotten a ton of them myself to shows in my area. Of course all the winners of those contests are local because only local subscribers get the email and the rules say it's limited to subscribers in that market who received an invitation to enter. The PJ pop up contest was not a local "see what you love" contest, it was advertised as open to everyone. Sirius can do whatever they want with it but once they decide to have a contest they have to follow the rules. There's a reason they take the time to write up "Official Rules" and post them on the website. They don't do it just so they can deliberately violate them by picking only local winners (presumably)
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    lemme know if you guys need a +1.  will be in NYC Saturday night from Orlando for the show Sunday. :)
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    I won! Received an email about 3pm est today. I'm in Atlanta but was already going to be there for MSG. Woohoo!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    kosteva2 said:
     It's Sirius' thing and they can do whatever they want with it.

And thats that. Sirius would not have any trouble justifying their random selection of tickets from a limited geography. Blame it on the rona!
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,238
    Congrats!!!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    No email for me
    I miss igotid88