Options

"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    Quick Escape is and will always be the best choice for a radio single.  Who ever said is a close second but is a little long.  These are facts people, deal with it.
  • Options
    No, the two best choices for singles were Superblood Wolfmoon and Dance of the Clairvoyants, which is why Pearl Jam chose them as the first two singles to be released from Gigaton. Their performance on various charts seems to validate those choices as well. Let's face it, the band knows what they're doing. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,407
    No, the two best choices for singles were Superblood Wolfmoon and Dance of the Clairvoyants, which is why Pearl Jam chose them as the first two singles to be released from Gigaton. Their performance on various charts seems to validate those choices as well. Let's face it, the band knows what they're doing. 
    In terms of choosing singles in the past they didn't always go with "obvious" choice. Not that the songs they chose were bad. They were all great. But in terms of radio. Not releasing Better Man, Corduroy, not releasing Hail, Hail as the initial single(also only having an expensive import version available), Insignificance. Once they got out of the label they started to do better with The Fixer, Just Breathe, MYM, Sirens, and of course the previous 3 or 4 if you want to count Quick Escape. I hope they release it in October 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Do you think if MLB promotion had gone on as planned back in March, it would have gotten sales over 100k?
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,281
    igotid88 said:
    Do you think if MLB promotion had gone on as planned back in March, it would have gotten sales over 100k?
    I don't think it would have made any meaningful difference.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    BF25394 said:
    SM187650 said:
    Take the long way is the best song on the album. Fact. Lol. 
    I will fight you. High noon tomorrow. At the swing set. 

Bring your goggles. 
    I have been meaning to comment on how I always experience cognitive dissonance whenever you post anything edgy because the photo in your signature is of a person seemingly filled with joy and delight, and I associate that picture of you.  Now imagine the dissonance as that peaceful visage asks to rumble at the playground! 
    That's my sister.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well then, your sister is pure sunshine, at least based on that radiant photo.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Well then, your sister is pure sunshine, at least based on that radiant photo.
    She's an economics professor at a Malaysian university. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Her smile belies economics' status as the "dismal science."
  • Options
    For the record, the Taylor Swift album came in with first-week sales of 615,000 and total equivalent units of 846,000.  That is the top week of 2020 by a wide margin.  No one else has topped 500,000 equivalent units in a week in 2020.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    For the record, the Taylor Swift album came in with first-week sales of 615,000 and total equivalent units of 846,000.  That is the top week of 2020 by a wide margin.  No one else has topped 500,000 equivalent units in a week in 2020.
    So what happened with the 1 million? Did they over predict?

Sad that Gigaton won't get near those numbers even after 20 years. Hopefully that's not the case
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I never saw a 1 million projection.  Where did you see that?  The initial projection I saw via HitsDailyDouble was 650,000 total units, later increased to 750,000.  So this surpassed the initial projections I was aware of.

This is a case study in the value of marketing (or lack thereof).  This album was released on a moment's notice with no advance promotion.  It is not available in any retail store.  There were no marketing tie-ins.  And the album almost duplicated the first-week numbers for Swift's last album, 2019's Lover, which was heavily promoted with multiple advance singles and a Target tie-in.  The first-week numbers for Lover were 867,000 total units, 679,000 of which were pure sales, compared to Folklore's 846,000/615,000.  She'll actually make more money off the Folklore totals because every single one of those 615,000 album purchases was made on her website.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I never saw a 1 million projection.  Where did you see that?  The initial projection I saw via HitsDailyDouble was 650,000 total units, later increased to 750,000.  So this surpassed the initial projections I was aware of.

This is a case study in the value of marketing (or lack thereof).  This album was released on a moment's notice with no advance promotion.  It is not available in any retail store.  There were no marketing tie-ins.  And the album almost duplicated the first-week numbers for Swift's last album, 2019's Lover, which was heavily promoted with multiple advance singles and a Target tie-in.  The first-week numbers for Lover were 867,000 total units, 679,000 of which were pure sales, compared to Folklore's 846,000/615,000.  She'll actually make more money off the Folklore totals because every single one of those 615,000 album purchases was made on her website.
    Wasn't there a report that she sold 1 million the first 24 hours?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Any word if Gigaton passed 100k overall?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I haven't been able to find an up-to-date number for Gigaton.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Wasn't there a report that she sold 1 million the first 24 hours?
    Maybe this was worldwide sales? I just saw that global sales are now north of 2 million.
  • Options
    I missed out on ordering Folklore before the 31 july deadline to get to pick one of like 8 covers

Has destroyed my summer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I missed out on ordering Folklore before the 31 july deadline to get to pick one of like 8 covers

Has destroyed my summer.
    I'm sorry
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Has destroyed my summer.
    I wouldn't worry about it.  It's a great album whichever cover you end up with.
  • Options
    Original post updated for week ending August 8, 2020.  "Retrograde" finally lives up to its name by moving backward after five weeks at No. 9 on the Triple-A chart (and also slipping from No. 47 to No. 50 in Rock Airplay).  "Superblood Wolfmoon," on the other hand, moves back up one notch to No. 26 on Canada Rock in its 24th week on the chart.
  • Options
    Original post updated for week ending August 15, 2020.  "Retrograde" falls from No. 11 to No. 20 at Triple-A and falls off the 50-position Rock Airplay chart.  "Superblood Wolfmoon" slips from No. 26 to No. 29 in its 25th week on the Canada Rock chart.
  • Options
    Digital is now in the 3000-4000 rankings on the Amazon chart and out of the ITunes Rock Album. Hopefully they can perform on some show sometime this year to give it a boost.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    vedpunk said:
    Quick Escape is and will always be the best choice for a radio single.  Who ever said is a close second but is a little long.  These are facts people, deal with it.
    I agree that Quick Escape would be the best choice...for most bands. But PJ has had a history of bucking convention with lead singles. It seems as if they like to put out a song showing "what's new" with them rather than putting out a song that they know will be a hit.

Vitalogy: Spin the Black Circle. Obviously Better Man or Corduroy would get more airplay.
    No Code: Who You Are. Hail Hail would've been the better "traditional" lead single.
    Binaural: Nothing As It Seems. Grievance is more of the "rocking" PJ song that people expect.  
    Gigaton: Same thing. Like Hail Hail, Quick Escape is Pearl Jam being Pearl Jam. DOTC is them doing something new. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Original post updated for week ending August 22, 2020.  "Retrograde" plummets from No. 20 to No. 36 at Triple-A.  It is the only remaining Gigaton content on any Billboard chart, as "Superblood Wolfmoon" falls off the Canada Rock chart after 25 weeks.

On another topic, as much as I love "Quick Escape," I am skeptical of its wider appeal because it lacks something that's usually a necessity for a radio hit: a proper chorus.  The chorus is just Eddie, sounding strangled, screaming "Quick Escape" as the backing vocalists croon "had to" in falsetto.  The verses carry the song.
  • Options
    Original post updated for week ending August 29, 2020.  "Retrograde" exits the Triple-A chart after 16 weeks.  There is no longer any Gigaton content on any Billboard chart.
  • Options
    Bummer. Oh well, it's been five months since the new album was released. I still love it! 
  • Options
    I still stream it even though I have it in all 3 formats
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I hope you're doing that as a matter of convenience and not in an attempt to boost its chart performance.  Otherwise, you're sacrificing sound quality for nothing, because one person streaming doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy, mixed-up world.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope you're doing that as a matter of convenience and not in an attempt to boost its chart performance.  Otherwise, you're sacrificing sound quality for nothing, because one person streaming doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy, mixed-up world.
    I still listen to the physical. I mostly have it on mute on Spotify and have it on repeat
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Metallica S&M 2 sold nearly as much as Gigaton its first week

I miss igotid88