Options

"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    May the 1990s continue to live on in more ways than one! 
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    edited July 2020
    "Who Ever Said" should be the next single. MLB used that the other day to promote the start of the season. I think it would do well at Rock radio.

I still love "Seven O'Clock" and it has the most Gigaton non-single YouTube views on PJ's channel. Might be a tough sell at radio for a 6+ minute song and kind of mid-tempo. 
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    edited July 2020
    No, #191 was within the last hour, and it represents CDs/vinyl. Feel free to look if you don't believe me. 
    I didn't say I didn't believe you. I check it everyday. I was saying there are 2 rankings/charts. Cd/vinyl and digital. You said overall and I said that's the digital as they don't have an overall. It says "paid albums" but it only shows digital albums 

It's at #286 digital, #217 cd, and #629 vinyl

Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    The sales will be combined.  They're just different covers.

There is a bonus track on the physical albums that's not available digitally, but it's the same bonus track on all eight versions.
    Not that she needs the help but the digital is 8.99 for like 14 songs. Was hoping PJ would do that for Gigaton.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Oh, I see. Yes, I meant overall CDs/vinyl and rock CDs/vinyl on Amazon. I don't look at the rest, because I only purchase my music in CD or vinyl formats. Thanks brother. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
    T-Bone 82 said:
    "Who Ever Said" should be the next single. MLB used that the other day to promote the start of the season. I think it would do well at Rock radio.

I still love "Seven O'Clock" and it has the most Gigaton non-single YouTube views on PJ's channel. Might be a tough sell at radio for a 6+ minute song and kind of mid-tempo. 
    "Who Ever Said" clocks in at over five minutes, too, which isn't ideal for radio, as you note, although it's less of an issue for rock radio.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    I think River Cross has the greatest opportunity for crossover appeal with a broad range of people. It also happens to be the second-best song on Gigaton after Superblood Wolfmoon. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I think River Cross has the greatest opportunity for crossover appeal with a broad range of people. It also happens to be the second-best song on Gigaton after Superblood Wolfmoon. 
    That's 6 minutes. I mean Sirens did well and it was long as well. But River Cross, unless they edit it for radio, could sound even longer for a non fan
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    It's just 30 or 40 seconds longer than Retrograde and Whoever Said. Pearl Jam doesn't have to get approval from a record company to choose the next single (if any) they want to release. Who made you the site contrarian anyway? 
  • Options
    I mean, if you or someone else suggests a different song as another single, I don't fire back that the length or quality of the song make it a poor choice; rather, I just listen to the opinions of others and possibly express my own choice too. We Texans don't take kindly to crap like that.
  • Options
    In my opinion, River Cross is the only remaining song on Gigaton with "home run" potential as a single, especially if it's coupled with a music video showing violence, destruction, drought, hunger, and social and economic inequality in the world today. I believe that Whoever Said would be a fairly "safe" choice by comparison. Once again, this just represents the opinion of one person. 
  • Options
    It's just 30 or 40 seconds longer than Retrograde and Whoever Said. Pearl Jam doesn't have to get approval from a record company to choose the next single (if any) they want to release. Who made you the site contrarian anyway? 
    Why do you have to take everything the wrong way? I'm just going by how radio usually works nowadays. And if you've followed their career they rarely needed approval from their record company since the record company would have chosen different singles off the records. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I think Take The Long Way can do well on rock radio.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I know they released Quick Escape a couple of day before the release of Gigaton. But they should really do a proper release with a video. Possibly before the election.
    This album has at least 6 singles.

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I think they might release one more single from Gigaton. I looked up each of their studio albums on Wikipedia and noticed that PJ has never released more than four singles from any album. They've obviously already released four singles from Gigaton, which equals their maximum. If I had to guess, maybe they'll release one more single (with video) this fall. I'd be surprised if there were any more after that, but I've been wrong many times before. I suppose time will tell. Peace out! 
  • Options
    I think they might release one more single from Gigaton. I looked up each of their studio albums on Wikipedia and noticed that PJ has never released more than four singles from any album. They've obviously already released four singles from Gigaton, which equals their maximum. If I had to guess, maybe they'll release one more single (with video) this fall. I'd be surprised if there were any more after that, but I've been wrong many times before. I suppose time will tell. Peace out! 
    I don't count Quick Escape. I don't think that was a proper release. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I just learned that, if someone purchases all eight versions of the Taylor Swift album, it doesn't count as eight units.  Per Billboard rules, it counts as four units.  (This is not a new rule, or anything specific to Swift.)  Aside from trying to prevent artists from gaming the system too much, I'm not sure exactly what the rationale for this rule is-- i.e., I don't know why they decided that each sale would count for one-half.  To be honest, as much as it annoys me when artists game the system in various ways (e.g., bundling albums with concert tickets or merch, which Billboard has tried to mitigate), this is an example that doesn't really bother me.  If someone buys eight copies at something close to list price, it should count as eight copies.  Billboard/Nielsen Soundscan has no idea why the person is buying multiple copies.  They could be Christmas presents for all they know.  (I don't know whether this rule also applies to in-store retail purchases.)  In 1991, the day the "Use Your Illusion" records were released, I was a junior in high school and we were only allowed to leave school at lunch on Thursdays.  I brought a note from my parents asking to let me go out at lunch on Tuesday that week.  I went to the local record store and bought several copies of each album in multiple formats, not all for myself, but for classmates who wanted them and weren't allowed out.  I bought at least five copies of each, as I recall.

Swift apparently sold 1.3 million units worldwide the first day.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Original post updated for week ending August 1, 2020.  "Retrograde" spends a fifth week at No. 9 at Triple A and re-enters the Rock Airplay chart at No. 47.  "Superblood Wolfmoon" spends a 23rd week on the Canada Rock, surpassing the 22-week run of "Dance of the Clairvoyants."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Both RIvercross and Take the Long Way would do terrible on the radio. They are two of the lesser songs on the new album. I'm sorry but that's not an opinion. It is a fact.

Curious if you think Seven O'Clock would be a good single? Seems too long so I wonder if they would cut out the last minute and a half or something. 

Whoever Said would be a good one too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Both RIvercross and Take the Long Way would do terrible on the radio. They are two of the lesser songs on the new album. I'm sorry but that's not an opinion. It is a fact.

Curious if you think Seven O'Clock would be a good single? Seems too long so I wonder if they would cut out the last minute and a half or something. 

Rock radio is full of songs like Take the Long Way. I would be surprised if it didn't do well. The best part of Seven O'clock is those last 3 minutes o so. Might as well just release the whole song.

I miss igotid88
  • Options

What works on the radio and what works in the context of an album are very different things.  Even if your stated opinion that "Take The Long Way" is one of the lesser songs on the album is true-- and I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with it-- it can also be true that it could work on the radio.

To cherry-pick one example, "The Girl Is Mine" is one of the lesser songs on Thriller, but it was still a smash radio hit.  I'm being cheeky-- although what I just said seems hard to argue with-- but it is not unusual for less well-regarded songs to be hit singles while lauded album tracks get no traction at radio, especially in the rock context.  Look at the chart histories of many of the most famous classic rock acts; the songs that were the biggest hits for them are often not the ones generally held up as their most classic songs.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Radio nowadays and especially streaming wants to you to get to the chorus quickly. SBWM is a good example. Take the Long Way doesn't get to it as quickly as SBWM but it gets there fast. Has a nice solo. And the ending is great.

Meagan Grandall did a great job. But what if they had Taylor Momsen doing the background vocals. Especially that last part of the song
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 702
    Take the long way is the best song on the album. Fact. Lol. 
  • Options
    I guess we'll just let the band decide what the next single (if any) will be. What a novel concept! 
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Rock radio is full of songs like Take the Long Way. I would be surprised if it didn't do well. The best part of Seven O'clock is those last 3 minutes o so. Might as well just release the whole song.

I am just not a fan of it. At all. To me it's a throwaway song. Like Big Wave .
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

What works on the radio and what works in the context of an album are very different things.  Even if your stated opinion that "Take The Long Way" is one of the lesser songs on the album is true-- and I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with it-- it can also be true that it could work on the radio.

To cherry-pick one example, "The Girl Is Mine" is one of the lesser songs on Thriller, but it was still a smash radio hit.  I'm being cheeky-- although what I just said seems hard to argue with-- but it is not unusual for less well-regarded songs to be hit singles while lauded album tracks get no traction at radio, especially in the rock context.  Look at the chart histories of many of the most famous classic rock acts; the songs that were the biggest hits for them are often not the ones generally held up as their most classic songs.
    I hear you. I just can't think of another PJ song that I was not a fan of becoming a radio hit. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SM187650 said:
    I will fight you. High noon tomorrow. At the swing set. 

Bring your goggles. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    But seriously....what about Seven O'Clock on the radio? Would it work?

I hear you IgotId on the last couple minutes. I also have heard others who think it goes on too long. I just feel it's the standout track for me and would love for more people to hear it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I am just not a fan of it. At all. To me it's a throwaway song. Like Big Wave .
    I agree take the long way is one of the weaker songs on the album. But it’s not quite a throwaway like Big Wave, which I agree is a throwaway (like Never Destination)
  • Options
    SM187650 said:
    I will fight you. High noon tomorrow. At the swing set. 

Bring your goggles. 
    I have been meaning to comment on how I always experience cognitive dissonance whenever you post anything edgy because the photo in your signature is of a person seemingly filled with joy and delight, and I associate that picture of you.  Now imagine the dissonance as that peaceful visage asks to rumble at the playground!