Options

Bloomberg for President

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nobody in here voted for the chick in yellow, right?
    Proudly.  Would again. 
    Reluctantly. Would not again. 
    So if we wound the clock by to '16, you'd vote Trump, third party, or would sit it out?  Now if you don't live in a swing state, that's kind of a cop out...
    He lives in Pennsylvania. 
    Come on Ledbetter....
    mrussel misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I meant it as I reluctantly voted for her in 2016, but not regrettably. I'm not saying I'd go back to 2016 to change my vote. I'm saying that if she was ever in a future election, I wouldn't vote for her in that. I thought mrussel was implying he’d like to vote for her in the future if there was an opportunity to.   
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Proudly.  Would again. 
    So if we wound the clock by to '16, you'd vote Trump, third party, or would sit it out?  Now if you don't live in a swing state, that's kind of a cop out...
    Come on Ledbetter....
    mrussel misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I meant it as I reluctantly voted for her in 2016, but not regrettably. I'm not saying I'd go back to 2016 to change my vote. I'm saying that if she was ever in a future election, I wouldn't vote for her in that. I thought mrussel was implying he’d like to vote for her in the future if there was an opportunity to.   
    Well if she was the D nominee, absolutely.  If she was in the D field as it stands today, not necessarily.  I voted for Obama in the primary in 08, Clinton in 16.  Today I'm split between Amy and Pete, depending on who I think has Klomentum between now and VA primary.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Proudly.  Would again. 
    Come on Ledbetter....
    Well if she was the D nominee, absolutely.  If she was in the D field as it stands today, not necessarily.  I voted for Obama in the primary in 08, Clinton in 16.  Today I'm split between Amy and Pete, depending on who I think has Klomentum between now and VA primary.  
    I voted for Hillary in '08 (back when I was still a democrat) but even then I was kind of reluctant. I just felt, at the time, that she'd have a better chance than Obama in the general. Voted for her again in 2016 general. Again, reluctantly, just because I won't vote for Trump (because that's EXACLTY what he wants you to do!) but in a hypothetical situation where she was the 2020 nominee, I'd vote third-party or do a silly write-in (I've voted Les Claypool for Vice-President in four straight elections). 

As for me today, again, I'm no longer a democrat so I can't vote in the primary, but if I was, I'm not sure how I'd vote. I feel Biden has the best chance against Trump in a general, but will he even make it out of the primary? Or even last until Pennsylvania in April? I like Sanders, but I don't think many of his ideas are feasible. I like Pete the best of the bunch, but I don't think he's very electable in a general. Not now as Mayor Pete. But years from now as Senator Pete or Governor Pete, maybe he'd have a shot. 

Nevertheless, taking out electability in the general, and just basing it on who I like the most out of Bloomberg, Biden, Pete, Amy, and Sanders, I'd vote for Pete if I was a still a Dem. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    There's a big issue that is being missed here that is leading to people arguing in circles. There seems to be an assumption on the part of some posters that if someone is in some way "trying to help" that means by definition they are not racist, but simply put, that's hogwash. History is rife with racist do-gooders who were "trying to help". It's quite possible that Bloomberg was both genuinely trying to help Black and Latino individuals and still harboured significantly racist ideas. 

This topic has literally become people who don’t understand the recent history on NY trying to preach about the history of NY.
    Another recent instance of the incorrect usage of “literally”. 

in a literal sense, commenters here, as well as the woke movement, do not understand the history of NY circa 1970 to 1995.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Also, "hey it's not racist, I'm just quoting crime stats" is quite literally a Breitbart move

Those of us who lived thru the homicide spike in NYC from 1970 to 1995 are not so flippant about crime stats.
    Stop-and-frisk was good from your view?

Would you prefer the entire south Bronx be on fire?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I would also hope your hiring strategies target members of the community that walked in those shoes, not some white kids from Long Island who don't know how they lived. 

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?

What’s wrong with lawn guy land whites?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    There's a big issue that is being missed here that is leading to people arguing in circles. There seems to be an assumption on the part of some posters that if someone is in some way "trying to help" that means by definition they are not racist, but simply put, that's hogwash. History is rife with racist do-gooders who were "trying to help". It's quite possible that Bloomberg was both genuinely trying to help Black and Latino individuals and still harboured significantly racist ideas. 
    That's true of course, and don't you evaluate someone differently based upon their intent?  What are we doing today that's embedded in our culture that will be considered racist or sexist in 20 years? Surely we're not at peak awareness. 

Helpful intent is better than harmful intent, that's true, but in practice the result might be much the same, and helpful intent is cold comfort to individuals and communities that have nonetheless been harmed. Helpful intent is also not nearly enough; one needs to do the due diligence to actually learn about the situation with an open mind and not just charge in, believing you have the answer. In this case, we're not talking about the early years of the Civil Rights movement, we're talking about statements and actions that weren't really all that long ago, when someone with an open mind and an interest in learning, rather than just a brain full of preconceive notions, could have seen how some of his policies were actually perpetuating the situation rather than improving it. 

He has apologized for some of what he is responsible for, which is a good start, and more than many have done. 

Stop and frisk is a very unfortunate policy. Homicides in NY peaked 1970 to 1995. When did mayor Rudy start with his “ broken window” campaign?

Deblasio ran on “ softening” stop and frisk.  Where did that get him last week? (Hint, he received a death threat from the NYPD  Union leader, who was celebrated by trump)

NYPD is starting to not enforce the broken window campaign, NYPD is starting to refuse to enter the subways. If we continue down this path, y’all ain’t gonna want to come to our beloved msg to see your beloved band. Maybe it’s a good thing then. Not that I like stop and frisk, but I lived thru the history of NY. I know when it worked as a city  and when it did not.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I would also hope your hiring strategies target members of the community that walked in those shoes, not some white kids from Long Island who don't know how they lived. 

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?

I don't like cis straight male whites.  It's that simple.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?

Over.my.head.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?

Over.my.head.
    Because your ass is WHITE.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 
    But I'm left!  All this self loathing is very confusing to me. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 
    I figured you were a cis straight white male. So you're not? Or you are, and it's a part of your self-loathing?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 
    I figured you were a cis straight white male. So you're not? Or you are, and it's a part of your self-loathing?
    I am!  That's why I'm self loathing, since I'm supposed to hate myself for the way that God made me.  I don't recall choosing to be all the things, but surely it's my fault.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 
    I am!  That's why I'm self loathing, since I'm supposed to hate myself for the way that God made me.  I don't recall choosing to be all the things, but surely it's my fault.  
    I can't even tell if you're kidding or if you really believe this. I tend to think you're kidding. But I do know there's a few folks on the left that actually do feel guilty about their whiteness, or their straightness, or the maleness, or their....cisness??? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 
    I can't even tell if you're kidding or if you really believe this. I tend to think you're kidding. But I do know there's a few folks on the left that actually do feel guilty about their whiteness, or their straightness, or the maleness, or their....cisness??? 
    Definitely joking.  And I don't think the whole left hates us.  It's the insufferable twitter-sphere and self righteous preening of those that need to be heard.  Most Democrats are just normal-ass people.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Excuse me?
    Beg your pardon?
    We're hated by the left! 
    Definitely joking.  And I don't think the whole left hates us.  It's the insufferable twitter-sphere and self righteous preening of those that need to be heard.  Most Democrats are just normal-ass people.  
    Oh yeah that’s why I just said “a few folks.” I know it’s only a select bunch of wackjobs. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,788
  • Options

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Say it with me now: 

Pyrrhic victory. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    If we have to choose between bigoted wannabe autocrats, I'm starting to wonder if the smart one is more dangerous than the dumb one
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    If we have to choose between bigoted wannabe autocrats, I'm starting to wonder if the smart one is more dangerous than the dumb one
    Of course he is - it's like imagine Trump, but not senile and a big dumb animal.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    pjl44 said:
    Of course he is - it's like imagine Trump, but not senile and a big dumb animal.
    You're telling me you think Bloomberg would be worse than Trump? JP, you're losing your mind
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/18/mike-bloomberg-community-college-student-loans-

How Bloomberg would make community college free and overhaul student loans

The former New York City mayor's proposal would significantly increase federal spending on higher education and aims to target those subsidies to lower-income families.

Mike Bloomberg

Presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg. | Sue Ogrocki, File/AP Photo 

Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg on Tuesday released a new $700 billion higher education plan that calls for free community college and doubling Pell Grants for low-income students.

The former New York City mayor's proposal would significantly increase federal spending on higher education and aims to target those subsidies to lower-income families. It doesn’t go as far as proposals by other Democrats to eliminate tuition at public, four year universities for large swaths of students or provide student loan forgiveness on the scale that progressives have sought.

How would the plan address the cost of college?

Bloomberg would eliminate tuition at community colleges for all students, embracing a proposal President Barack Obama first made in 2015 and that has since become a key pillar of Democratic higher education plans.

The plan also calls for making community college and four-year public colleges “debt-free” for low-income students, meaning they would not have to take out loans to finance tuition or other costs like books, food and transportation. The benefit would be available to families that earn, on average, less than $30,000 a year, according to the Bloomberg campaign.

The tuition-free and debt-free college goals would be accomplished by creating a new federal-state matching program and doubling the maximum Pell Grant to $12,690. In addition, Bloomberg would expand Pell eligibility to incarcerated students and undocumented students, known as Dreamers, who were brought to the U.S. as children.

How would the proposal change student loans?

New and existing federal student loan borrowers would be automatically enrolled in a new repayment plan that caps monthly payments at 5 percent of a borrower’s discretionary income — down from 10 percent under many existing income-based repayment plans. After a borrower made 20 years of “reasonable progress” in repaying a loan, the government would forgive up to $57,000 of any remaining balance tax-free. By contrast, there’s currently no limit on loan forgiveness under income-based repayment plans, though the amount of forgiveness is taxed as income.

Borrowers would be able to opt out of Bloomberg’s new repayment plan, according to the campaign. The new income-based repayment plan would also be restricted to federal student loans that financed undergraduate studies, not graduate education, the campaign said.

Bloomberg’s plan eschews broad based student loan forgiveness, but it calls for wiping out the loans of borrowers who attended “failed or predatory for-profit colleges.” It also vows to “fix” the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, including providing debt relief “to all qualifying public servants who’ve applied for forgiveness in good faith under the current policy.”

What else is Bloomberg proposing?

Bloomberg also pledged to “end” admissions practices at elite universities that favor the children of alumni. His plan backs legislation requiring universities to make public information about their “legacy” admissions policies and threatens to curtail federal funding to elite universities “if progress isn’t made toward ending legacy preferences.”

In addition, Bloomberg’s plan calls for tripling direct federal funding for historically black colleges, Hispanic-servicing institution and other minority-serving institutions.

How much would it cost?

The price tag for Bloomberg’s higher education plan is $700 billion over the next 10 years, according to the campaign. It would be funded by the money raised through Bloomberg’s proposal to raise taxes on the wealthy.

How does Bloomberg’s plan compare to what other Democrats have proposed?

Bloomberg’s plan to make community college free while imposing a means test for “debt-free college” is similar to proposals by other Democrats like Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar. Those candidates, like Bloomberg, have argued that federal subsidies should be targeted to low- and middle-income families.

Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have proposed eliminating tuition at public colleges and universities for all students and providing student loan forgiveness to large numbers of students.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Michael Bloomberg is Donald Trump, just on a different side of the aisle. Vanity, narcissism and the desire to be dictator are far more similar than different between the two. 
    Minus the sexual assaults, paying off strippers and adding in building your own worth of course
    Equal the overt racism. Bloomberg was all in on racial profiling in New York. Some of his comments are downright awful about African Americans and Hispanics. 
    Honest question from a foreigner, why do Americans need rich people or celebrities (or both) to be President? Wouldn’t someone intelligent and educated be a better choice to represent you on the world stage?

Quite frankly, the election of Trump has most of the world questioning your entire education system among other things. Not a hater... just an interested observer. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,029
    edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:
    You're telling me you think Bloomberg would be worse than Trump? JP, you're losing your mind
    Bloomberg being better than Trump =/= having a POS like Bloomberg be your candidate
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    edited February 2020
    dudeman said:
    Michael Bloomberg is Donald Trump, just on a different side of the aisle. Vanity, narcissism and the desire to be dictator are far more similar than different between the two. 
    Minus the sexual assaults, paying off strippers and adding in building your own worth of course
    Equal the overt racism. Bloomberg was all in on racial profiling in New York. Some of his comments are downright awful about African Americans and Hispanics. 
    Honest question from a foreigner, why do Americans need rich people or celebrities (or both) to be President? Wouldn’t someone intelligent and educated be a better choice to represent you on the world stage?

Quite frankly, the election of Trump has most of the world questioning your entire education system among other things. Not a hater... just an interested observer. 
    I don't think it is possible to run for president and not be rich.  
    I have no clue how the election of Trump is a reflection of our education system.  And I don't know a single person who give's a shit about what other countries think of us.  Not a hater...just a casual observation.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Despite being a late entry into the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, Michael R. Bloomberg, the billionaire media tycoon and former mayor of New York City, has surged in the polls and is winning key endorsements before he’s even on the ballot.

Today, we explore the hidden infrastructure of influence and persuasion behind his campaign — and the dilemma it poses for Democrats.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/podcasts/the-daily/michael-bloomberg-democrats.html

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.