Options

Why is this place so toxic lately?

Comments

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    This thread is like group therapy! Keep it going folks ;)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I gave up Twitter as a New Year's resolution. That was my standard for online toxicity. This place does seem tame in comparison. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

Just recently I was accused of a few things that made me wonder - is it me, does someone have something else going on, are they just having an asshole-ish day, do they simply not like me (which is fine; I don't like everyone I come across either), are they generally like that?

Sometimes words, when put out there - whether or not erased - are still there.  Maybe people learn something in the process...I know I have, and (hopefully) continue to do so.

Hope that all makes sense; my articulation skills haven't quite kicked in yet ;)

(and Amy, I love that dimi quote!)

That was me (no secret there) and I took that down as well.  I'm sorry for the slander but I was being defensive- you do take snipe shots at people.  You've done it to me, you've done it to HFD.  I probably should have let it go and didn't.  My bad.  I took the post down- that's the best I could do.  And now I've broken forum rules talking about someone instead of a topic, so I will probably get the time out or ban I deserve. 

I'm an American Sniper!

I wonder if it's possible - possible - that what I wrote was misread and not a "snipe"?  That this happens all across the board, many times?  

That's part of what I meant, above.
    I know that I have had problems with expressing myself here and elsewhere. Most of the time, I don't really give a fuck, but there have been a few times when I was so misunderstood that I thought an apology was warranted.

I'm not too keen on putting lol or whatever other bullshit is necessary for folks to understand that I'm joking. I also don't have the patience to explain anything ever.

(I almost got shitcanned from a pretty great job once because the new manager thought I had something against him; he only communicated with me via AIM up to that point, and he was offended by my curt replies. We went out for a beer after work one day and hashed it out. He didn't last long, though. You can't be that sensitive on Wall Street.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

Just recently I was accused of a few things that made me wonder - is it me, does someone have something else going on, are they just having an asshole-ish day, do they simply not like me (which is fine; I don't like everyone I come across either), are they generally like that?

Sometimes words, when put out there - whether or not erased - are still there.  Maybe people learn something in the process...I know I have, and (hopefully) continue to do so.

Hope that all makes sense; my articulation skills haven't quite kicked in yet ;)

That was me (no secret there) and I took that down as well.  I'm sorry for the slander but I was being defensive- you do take snipe shots at people.  You've done it to me, you've done it to HFD.  I probably should have let it go and didn't.  My bad.  I took the post down- that's the best I could do.  And now I've broken forum rules talking about someone instead of a topic, so I will probably get the time out or ban I deserve. 

I'm an American Sniper!

I wonder if it's possible - possible - that what I wrote was misread and not a "snipe"?  That this happens all across the board, many times?  

I know that I have had problems with expressing myself here and elsewhere. Most of the time, I don't really give a fuck, but there have been a few times when I was so misunderstood that I thought an apology was warranted.

I'm not too keen on putting lol or whatever other bullshit is necessary for folks to understand that I'm joking. I also don't have the patience to explain anything ever.

(I almost got shitcanned from a pretty great job once because the new manager thought I had something against him; he only communicated with me via AIM up to that point, and he was offended by my curt replies. We went out for a beer after work one day and hashed it out. He didn't last long, though. You can't be that sensitive on Wall Street.)
    It is with love for you that I say that I cannot see you on Wall Street. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    Some people are perfectly nice until you talk to them!
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!
    ok. this explains a lot.....

it also depends on the subforum and topic too. Doesnt it?  Youve been very kind and helpful in "other music"...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    brianlux said:
    Some of mine were perceived as such.  They were not meant to be but since they were seen that way, I deleted them.  That's the best I can do in the past and maybe will do better in the present and future. 

Like the man said in the story...

Radio Raheem!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

it also depends on the subforum and topic too. Doesnt it?  Youve been very kind and helpful in "other music"...
    I guess, maybe? I tread very lightly in The Porch and AMT because it seems like people visit those forums particularly to talk at each other and not with each other. So I stick to AET and OM for the most part, but I do recall pissing off a few folks in AET kind of recently. One person twice, so I think that's probably just going to be someone who doesn't like me. And I'm more than fine with that. People don't have to like me.  

I don't think I've ever posted anything anywhere just for the sake of being mean spirited, though.

(Oh, and to clarify, I was a financial news journalist during the great recession. So the lowest salaried guy on Wall Street. I've never owned a single share of anything. My favorite days on Wall Street were after the bell rang on a huge down day. Watching all of those twats in their ridiculous net jackets shaking their heads. That was about as sweet as the opening crescendo of "Highway Star" to me. The algo-driven flash crashes were a real hoot! The portfolio manager I worked with most, and with whom I'm still close friends to this day, is a dedicated short seller, a former Nader raider, so it was a good match. Fed days were fun, too. A few friends from the office and I would get burgers and beers from the Irish Punt and file our takes on the announcement from there. Usually, these were written in advance because the Fed just sat on its hands forever, and we just had to maybe make minor edits and press the go button at 2:00. Anyway, that's your TMI for the day.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ^^ Okay, now I can see that as more your version of Wall Street. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

I guess, maybe? I tread very lightly in The Porch and AMT because it seems like people visit those forums particularly to talk at each other and not with each other. So I stick to AET and OM for the most part, but I do recall pissing off a few folks in AET kind of recently. One person twice, so I think that's probably just going to be someone who doesn't like me. And I'm more than fine with that. People don't have to like me.  

I don't think I've ever posted anything anywhere just for the sake of being mean spirited, though.

(Oh, and to clarify, I was a financial news journalist during the great recession. So the lowest salaried guy on Wall Street. I've never owned a single share of anything. My favorite days on Wall Street were after the bell rang on a huge down day. Watching all of those twats in their ridiculous net jackets shaking their heads. That was about as sweet as the opening crescendo of "Highway Star" to me. The algo-driven flash crashes were a real hoot! The portfolio manager I worked with most, and with whom I'm still close friends to this day, is a dedicated short seller, a former Nader raider, so it was a good match. Fed days were fun, too. A few friends from the office and I would get burgers and beers from the Irish Punt and file our takes on the announcement from there. Usually, these were written in advance because the Fed just sat on its hands forever, and we just had to maybe make minor edits and press the go button at 2:00. Anyway, that's your TMI for the day.)
    Pretty interesting. I had forgotten about the flash crashes. I don't think we've had one for years now. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

Pretty interesting. I had forgotten about the flash crashes. I don't think we've had one for years now. 
    We can’t anymore. There are automatic stops put in place on the exchanges now. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

Oh right.. trading gets halted, right? Has that happened?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

Oh right.. trading gets halted, right? Has that happened?
    Only once that I can recall, but I stopped following the markets as soon as it was no longer a work requirement.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I’ve tried to be a better human on here. Made a mistake a few weeks ago when I was all fired up about Trump and lashed out at HFD.  He’s a good dude... not my finest moment. I also wasn’t very nice when the original Canadian Politics thread was shut down. That was ALL my fault. 

I am changed human being since then for sure. I dealt with the anger I felt. It was an Inside Job that day (my white whale and favourite song)

To anyone I have ever offended in the past I am incredibly sorry. Having said that getting banned for a while off here combined with a few other things forced me to look at myself and what I’d become.  I sure didn’t like it 😔 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    "everyone is right, and no one is sorry.
    that's the start and the end of the story."

its okay. we all snap on each other from time to time. i can be better, and i will continue to work on it. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Those ticket  lottery  threads  are too much.
    People using cancer as extra clout as to why they should be going to a gig. 
    Mindblowing.
    Its a gig ffs not life and death.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Forgive me forum, for I have sinned.  Yesterday I was unnecessarily mean to a person who was pissing me off.  I probably should have dialed it back a bit, but that can be hard around here sometimes. 
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    Forgive me forum, for I have sinned.  Yesterday I was unnecessarily mean to a person who was pissing me off.  I probably should have dialed it back a bit, but that can be hard around here sometimes. 
    Me too. 
  • Options
    It  is hard to just ignore when some keep up with the same level of disdain for so long.
    Spread the  love
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    mrussel1 said:

Me three. 

If everyone on all PJ forums learned to get along and be civil, we could bottle that up and save humanity.  Admittedly, it;s a loooong shot, but what the heck, we should give it a go!

Cheers all.  I'm off in search of more COFFEE!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Me three. 

If everyone on all PJ forums learned to get along and be civil, we could bottle that up and save humanity.  Admittedly, it;s a loooong shot, but what the heck, we should give it a go!

Cheers all.  I'm off in search of more COFFEE!  :smiley:
    You're talking crazy again, Brian. Better get that coffee in you. Stat.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    edited January 2020
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

The city of Boston disagrees. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

10 years!!!

The city of Boston disagrees. 
    Fuck Boston!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Those ticket  lottery  threads  are too much.
    People using cancer as extra clout as to why they should be going to a gig. 
    Mindblowing.
    Its a gig ffs not life and death.  

This one gets me so hard , I lost my father , uncles , aunts , a friend and more to cancer. Never something I would bring up if I did not get concert tickets to something.

Please don't take that as I don't care , however not sure if they think someone is going to just give up a ticket because someone said they have cancer.

I also and I hate saying this fear someone is just making it up to try to get tickets.