Options

Why is this place so toxic lately?

I find  most posts i read toxic and most people just want an argument  or a fight.  On all sections of the forum.
Some think  they are funny , some are spiteful but why, is it because so many missed out on tickets and are sour?
Either  way  lots of threads that ive thought  oh i will give that  a read, i ended up just not continuing  or commenting on because so many smart arses and nasty folk.
 Anyway  i hope people can be kind and not just be nasty. Life is short and there really is no need to be that  way.

brixton 93
astoria 06
albany 06
hartford 06
reading 06
barcelona 06
paris 06
wembley 07
dusseldorf 07
nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Some of mine were perceived as such.  They were not meant to be but since they were seen that way, I deleted them.  That's the best I can do in the past and maybe will do better in the present and future. 

Like the man said in the story...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,070
    edited January 2020
    Its very hard to say or do or be anything  without someone  being  over the top or rude.
    I know i type as i feel and that could read many ways. Im sure people dont  always mean as it looks. When its spoken its clearer than typing.  Im bad at writing full stop.i can talk for ages mind
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I've  seen lots of people sort of jump on someone who thinks  differently  to them as well. Not everyone is the  same. And all opinions are exactly that and allowed to be just that without someone righteously trying  to change someone. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,927
    Sadly, I think people are unaware of or have forgotten the old adage of, “if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.”  

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    True i often refrain  from saying anything 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited January 2020
    I will say that for me, it has been wearing to read all of these "long time member, first time posting" threads pitching a bitch about not getting tickets. Now, I realize I am the one who clicks on it, so totally my fault. However, we have had a huge influx of whiners in our generally set community. It's not to say we don't welcome new folks to the watering hole, but straight out of the gate whining, entitlement and leaving... one actually ended with "F--- you, Ed!" the other day. Really?! 

I understand that the ticket lottery was fucked up in a multitude of ways and could list a bunch of things that, to me, are far more devastating, but I will not. 

It is here I would add @dimitrispearljam screenshot that I absolutely love. I can't find it, but it says, "This isn't an airport. No need to announce your departure." 

Stay if you want to stay. Go if you want to go. Come back if you want to come back. Just be nice. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Piss off, Amy. :wink:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I decided to just read and not comment on lots of those some i felt sorry for some i was angry at but if i had missed out on tickets  im sure ive helped enough people and been kind or shared my spare over the years to get some help back. I made a good group of friends touring and we have all helped eachother  in the past.
    Sometimes good things happen to good people.  

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I guess the anger is understandable when so many people are gutted these days.  Kidding, of course.  It does seem there isn't one thread that doesn't get toxic in some way.  Unfortunate.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    brianlux said:
    Some of mine were perceived as such.  They were not meant to be but since they were seen that way, I deleted them.  That's the best I can do in the past and maybe will do better in the present and future. 

There was nothing wrong with your posts yesterday.  That whole discussion was a textbook example of "woke gone wild".  
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    Tour, ticket and album time brings a lot more traffic to the board. The Facebook groups are like this pretty much all the time. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Tour, ticket and album time brings a lot more traffic to the board. The Facebook groups are like this pretty much all the time. 
    No wonder why I am not on FB. :wink:
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    deadendp said:
    JimmyV said:
    Dame here. Geez. 
  • Options
    Me either.  Its too much for me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Some people:
    Have no clue as to how to have a civil discussion. 
    Demand everyone to be open minded but unfortunately are close minded themselves. 
    Just can't admit they are wrong. 

Just my .02.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Im finding  aggression  is some peoples FIRST response .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    deadendp said:
    JimmyV said:
    oh that reminds me, its a new year , time for my one post per year in the batshit crazy unofficial group......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    I find  most posts i read toxic and most people just want an argument  or a fight.  On all sections of the forum.
    Some think  they are funny , some are spiteful but why, is it because so many missed out on tickets and are sour?
    Either  way  lots of threads that ive thought  oh i will give that  a read, i ended up just not continuing  or commenting on because so many smart arses and nasty folk.
     Anyway  i hope people can be kind and not just be nasty. Life is short and there really is no need to be that  way.

We have the troll-in-chief setting a very low standard for too many people. 
    We have people thinking that because they are hiding behind a keyboard they can say whatever they want.
    We also have too many people on here with an extreme sense of entitlement. It doesn't matter if they joined 6 days ago or 26 years ago they think they are owed something from PJ.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

There was nothing wrong with your posts yesterday.  That whole discussion was a textbook example of "woke gone wild".  

"Woke gone wild" made me laugh.  That was perfect! 

Thank you , M.  Taking down my posts was essentially saying I'm not interested in conversing with someone who is that extremely "woke". 

I think most of us come here to both express our idea and learn from others.  But it's useless to try to engage with certain people who come across as genius-enlightened and will only ridicule and demean others who do not buy their take on things.  So I said "adios" to that thread!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

We have people thinking that because they are hiding behind a keyboard they can say whatever they want.
    We also have too many people on here with an extreme sense of entitlement. It doesn't matter if they joined 6 days ago or 26 years ago they think they are owed something from PJ.

Don't think Trump has a ton to do with this but Keyboard Warriors or Trolls have been around for a long time. I hate it because nothing will stop them from just pissing on everyone else.

The entitlement piece is pretty spot on , everything from " I have been a fan club member since 1991 , no one who joined after 2000 should even be allowed to get tickets" ( Obviously that was not said but pretty close in some threads ) to , " I joined two weeks ago and I only got a PIT ticket for MGS and not Baltimore WTF PF , I paid you money ".

Give it a week or so and once everyone complains about how there seats are not good enough for how much of a fan they are then it should quite down here until the album comes and starts the "this does not sound like 10"

• Options
    Matts3221 said:

Don't think Trump has a ton to do with this but Keyboard Warriors or Trolls have been around for a long time. I hate it because nothing will stop them from just pissing on everyone else.

The entitlement piece is pretty spot on , everything from " I have been a fan club member since 1991 , no one who joined after 2000 should even be allowed to get tickets" ( Obviously that was not said but pretty close in some threads ) to , " I joined two weeks ago and I only got a PIT ticket for MGS and not Baltimore WTF PF , I paid you money ".

Give it a week or so and once everyone complains about how there seats are not good enough for how much of a fan they are then it should quite down here until the album comes and starts the "this does not sound like 10"

The argument that older members should have some additional benefit (other than the best reserved) is ludicrous and certainly not how I would manage a band, if that were my job.  That's not how you grow your fan base.  I think PJ actually does a pretty good job of balancing the new and old fans, considering the resources (read: tour dates) are fairly limited.  I'm an early member that let my membership lapse for several years, until 2011, and I have no complaints.  I see a lot of shows and have great seats, by and large. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I dunno.

Just recently I was accused of a few things that made me wonder - is it me, does someone have something else going on, are they just having an asshole-ish day, do they simply not like me (which is fine; I don't like everyone I come across either), are they generally like that?

Sometimes words, when put out there - whether or not erased - are still there.  Maybe people learn something in the process...I know I have, and (hopefully) continue to do so.

Hope that all makes sense; my articulation skills haven't quite kicked in yet ;)

(and Amy, I love that dimi quote!)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

Just recently I was accused of a few things that made me wonder - is it me, does someone have something else going on, are they just having an asshole-ish day, do they simply not like me (which is fine; I don't like everyone I come across either), are they generally like that?

Sometimes words, when put out there - whether or not erased - are still there.  Maybe people learn something in the process...I know I have, and (hopefully) continue to do so.

Hope that all makes sense; my articulation skills haven't quite kicked in yet ;)

That was me (no secret there) and I took that down as well.  I'm sorry for the slander but I was being defensive- you do take snipe shots at people.  You've done it to me, you've done it to HFD.  I probably should have let it go and didn't.  My bad.  I took the post down- that's the best I could do.  And now I've broken forum rules talking about someone instead of a topic, so I will probably get the time out or ban I deserve. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited January 2020
    Some people just don’t know how to stand back when the spirit comes. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

That was me (no secret there) and I took that down as well.  I'm sorry for the slander but I was being defensive- you do take snipe shots at people.  You've done it to me, you've done it to HFD.  I probably should have let it go and didn't.  My bad.  I took the post down- that's the best I could do.  And now I've broken forum rules talking about someone instead of a topic, so I will probably get the time out or ban I deserve. 

I'm an American Sniper!

I wonder if it's possible - possible - that what I wrote was misread and not a "snipe"?  That this happens all across the board, many times?  

That's part of what I meant, above.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Some people just don’t know how to stand back when the spirit comes. 
    /thread
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    its funny, when Pearl jam announced their tour and record release, I kept waiting for someone to complain that some concerts were going to happen before the new record was going to be out.  I am glad that I haven't really seen that. 

I have been attacked on line a couple of times (never on here) and I used to get really pissed off but I soon starting thinking what makes  people act that way.  I meet a person who used to be a "troll" and he told me that he was a troll cause he felt power in trolling that he didn't feel in his every day life.  now when i see a troll, I just feel bad for them. 

• Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I dunno.

I'm an American Sniper!

I wonder if it's possible - possible - that what I wrote was misread and not a "snipe"?  That this happens all across the board, many times?  

That's part of what I meant, above.
    Y'alls tiff yesterday was confusing to me.  I didn't see it on either side.  
  • Options
    fife said:
    its funny, when Pearl jam announced their tour and record release, I kept waiting for someone to complain that some concerts were going to happen before the new record was going to be out.  I am glad that I haven't really seen that. 

I have been attacked on line a couple of times (never on here) and I used to get really pissed off but I soon starting thinking what makes  people act that way.  I meet a person who used to be a "troll" and he told me that he was a troll cause he felt power in trolling that he didn't feel in his every day life.  now when i see a troll, I just feel bad for them.  
    🙋‍♀️ I will admit that I have stated that to friends, but do not believe I have said it here. It is a small pet peeve of mine. However, not the end of the world. I'm actually not affected by it since I am not hitting this leg anyhow. 
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some people:
    Have no clue as to how to have a civil discussion. 
    Demand everyone to be open minded but unfortunately are close minded themselves. 
    Just can't admit they are wrong. 

Just my .02.
    I agree with you 1000%