First preview of Gigaton!

Comments

• igotid88 said:
    so far nobodys mentioned anything on how this will be universals first dolby atmos release...
    Im just trying to see how u take advantage of this.  5.1 system?  Two amazon studio echos?  I dont really know anything about it.  

You're gonna need this

Echo Studio - High-fidelity smart speaker with 3D audio and Alexa

https://amzn.to/2RsHm5T
    I don’t understand this atmos stuff and I don’t want to read up on it eaither.  Someone please do the work for me and tell me about it
    Dolby Atmos is a new audio format for creating and playing back multichannel movie soundtracks. It was developed to give movie sound a more three-dimensional effect. Traditional 5.1- and 7.1-channel surround setups deliver captivating sound using speakers placed all around your room.

Dolby Atmos utilizes the five or seven surround speakers as were mentioned previously, but also takes it a step further with additional speakers in the ceiling which are labeled as height speakers. ... When Dolby Atmos audio is created for a movie, it is designed on a computer in a 3D space which represents the room.

---

I think, and I might be wrong, that you do not assign sounds to speakers but instead places sounds in a room wherever you want and the system solves what speakers it should be sent out too. Regardless of numbers of speakers etc.
    Like will there be an Atmos mix on CD or a HD DL, like the old 5.1 DVD mixes that some bands did a decade ago? Or is it something thats on every disc and DL and if you have an Atmos enabled system, it plays it properly.

I would bet it will be included in some digital download version. And not on a physical release. But maybe some kind of a BD release will come. Who knows.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • As long as there are some songs that actually sound like PJ,  I'm excited. 
  • densan said:
    Ed said "To say there was some magic involved with this [album] would be more self-confidence than I’ve ever had… but I think you’re going to hear it.” 
    Magic is real. Soon we all will know what magic sounds like.
    The magic is that PJ caught another bolt of Lighting, and sounds like there is no letting go. 
    This is the Halloween H20: 20 years later of Pearl Jam. Jamie Lee Curtis is back. Following up S/T disregarding Backspacer and Lightning Bolt going forward.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    so Dolby Atmos means that a McCready solo will soar over my head now like an F-16?  
    yes...plus the .1 means jeffs bass will be more distinct as its separated from the normal mix
  • marjenmarjen Posts: 807
    I have a full 7.1.2 atmos setup so really excited to hopefully be able to hear it that way. Wondering what media that mix will be released on. 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    knik said:
    https://variety.com/2020/music/news/pearl-jam-eddie-vedder-unveils-new-album-gigaton-1203479780/

"...arguably the band’s strongest and most diverse work since 1998’s “Yield.”!

Can't wait to listen to the whole thing!
    No dreaded 'ukulele' mentions! Thank Jeebus ...maybe someone finally took it away from Ed.
    Remind me. What PJ songs other than Soon Forget is with ukelele?
    Sleeping By Myself
    Alive 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    igotid88 said:
    so far nobodys mentioned anything on how this will be universals first dolby atmos release...
    Im just trying to see how u take advantage of this.  5.1 system?  Two amazon studio echos?  I dont really know anything about it.  

You're gonna need this

I don’t understand this atmos stuff and I don’t want to read up on it eaither.  Someone please do the work for me and tell me about it
    Dolby Atmos is a new audio format for creating and playing back multichannel movie soundtracks. It was developed to give movie sound a more three-dimensional effect. Traditional 5.1- and 7.1-channel surround setups deliver captivating sound using speakers placed all around your room.

Dolby Atmos utilizes the five or seven surround speakers as were mentioned previously, but also takes it a step further with additional speakers in the ceiling which are labeled as height speakers. ... When Dolby Atmos audio is created for a movie, it is designed on a computer in a 3D space which represents the room.

---

I think, and I might be wrong, that you do not assign sounds to speakers but instead places sounds in a room wherever you want and the system solves what speakers it should be sent out too. Regardless of numbers of speakers etc.
    Like will there be an Atmos mix on CD or a HD DL, like the old 5.1 DVD mixes that some bands did a decade ago? Or is it something thats on every disc and DL and if you have an Atmos enabled system, it plays it properly.

It would need to be a sepsrate release, encoded entirely differently. They could do a Blu-Ray release.

• JKestleJKestle Posts: 64
    igotid88 said:

You're gonna need this

---

Tidal is now capable of playing Dolby Atmos
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    JKestle said:
    igotid88 said:

You're gonna need this

---

The single version of DotC on Tidal sounds absolutely fantastic through headphones.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • JKestleJKestle Posts: 64
    edited January 2020
    tbergs said:
    JKestle said:
    igotid88 said:

You're gonna need this

---

The single version of DotC on Tidal sounds absolutely fantastic through headphones.
    It absolutely does! This song can't be played loud enough. It deserves a proper system to do it justice...sounds tight.
    Post edited by JKestle on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    tbergs said:
    JKestle said:
    igotid88 said:

You're gonna need this

---

Amazon Music has hd as well but I don't have a subscription
    I miss igotid88
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 664
    edited January 2020
    Anyone else think that red line pulse thing on the cover looks incredibly naff? I get it the ice is melting/the world is dying but the image would have much better without the pulse thing -iimo

Think it will be joining the 2020 list that PJ got on in 2006

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/6506-top-25-worst-album-covers-of-2006/

Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Anyone else think that red line pulse thing on the cover looks incredibly naff? I get it the ice is melting/the world is dying but the image would have much better without the pulse thing -iimo

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/6506-top-25-worst-album-covers-of-2006/

Yeah, totally. *pretends he know what "naff" means*
  • Naff it 
    Naff it in the Butt 
    Suck my naff
    You look naff tonight.
    Wanna naff?

No naffing idea
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Naff means boring I think. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    mattcoz said:

Yeah, totally. *pretends he know what "naff" means*
    Totally (while sipping my covfefe).
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJNB said:
    Naff means boring I think. 
    Not so much boring... more ‘crap’ or ‘tacky’. 
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,591
    knik said:
    https://variety.com/2020/music/news/pearl-jam-eddie-vedder-unveils-new-album-gigaton-1203479780/

"...arguably the band’s strongest and most diverse work since 1998’s “Yield.”!

Can't wait to listen to the whole thing!
    No dreaded 'ukulele' mentions! Thank Jeebus ...maybe someone finally took it away from Ed.
    "Ok, we can use the font on some stuff, but that's it"
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    H.Chinaski said:i
    I actually just got home from working this event... I'm a bartender at Neuehouse in LA. I had no idea it was happening until i get in today and about shit my pants when i realized what was happening today... the album is insane... It's really, really REALLY GOOD!! Ed was the only one from the band there and was introduced by the president of Republic records and then introduced Josh Evans. He was in great spirits and was drinking a lot of Tequila... haha. He walked around the room pouring shots for the guests as the record played. First impression is that it is their best since at least Avocado if not RIot act. I feel so lucky to be able to have heard it... and get paid to boot. Also seen Ed and his daughter in the back halls of Neuehouse afterwards heading out.
    Love hearing about this album thanks. 

What kind of tequila though?!
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    That article got me excited. Though I don't like Ed's falsetto-just too raspy for me. I'm fine with him doing it if I get to see Oceans live though haha.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    Cool stuff can’t wait to listen to it live in Baltimore up close! Thanks 10C
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,597
    nycrats said:
    We had Luna Azul Blanco behind our bars but Ed's bottle was a Casamigos Anejo i believe...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 695
    Great intel. I will hear some of it in Ottawa one week before it is released. Shaping up to be a great year for music!
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    I was at the playback. Loved the album. Something for everyone. 
    H.Chinaski said:
    In my opinion best since Avocado at the very least. 

What album does it "feel" the most like from the discography? If that is a question that can be answered.

AND - does it feel like the album has one identity production wise (like Ten, Riot Act , Neil Youngs Harvest Moon etc)? Or a hodgepodge of songs and sounds like e.g. Lightning bolt?

It has more of a Binaural vibe to me. More atmospheric and less poppy and ballady. No B'OB on this one and it flows really well.
    Image result for happy girl gif
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• nycrats said:
    We had Luna Azul Blanco behind our bars but Ed's bottle was a Casamigos Anejo i believe...
    Ed going correctly....you make great margs with blanco but shoot Anejo.
    (Not that a good blanco can't be shipped/shot but this is where Anejo stands out)
    Ed knows his booze.  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    PB11041 said:
    I was at the playback. Loved the album. Something for everyone. 
    H.Chinaski said:
    In my opinion best since Avocado at the very least. 

What album does it "feel" the most like from the discography? If that is a question that can be answered.

AND - does it feel like the album has one identity production wise (like Ten, Riot Act , Neil Youngs Harvest Moon etc)? Or a hodgepodge of songs and sounds like e.g. Lightning bolt?

It has more of a Binaural vibe to me. More atmospheric and less poppy and ballady. No B'OB on this one and it flows really well.
    Image result for happy girl gif
    Exactly! 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    Thanks for the info! So cool that some of you were able to hear the album. I can’t wait to hear it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited January 2020
    Remember when people heard Sirens beforehand and said it was a new Black?

Good times
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 155
    remember when people hears Sirens bedorehand and said it was a new Black?

good times
    Lol. This could be the best post in this thread.
  • CharliePCharlieP Posts: 1,035
    I’m pumped! Bring it! 

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)