Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This has a good summary.  They have not determined if the link is to oral contraceptives.  

https://news.trust.org/item/20210413134718-jugko
    I thought that you couldn't get pregnant from oral? :open_mouth:
    Don't believe everything the guys tell you at truck stops.
    Ha!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Well with issues from Astrozenica and J&J you can’t be too upset with those arguing the vaccines are rushed.   
    No, this is incorrect and misunderstands how the research for these products occurs. 

For the Phase III studies alone, more than 165,000 participants in total were enrolled (combining Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and Janssen). It’s my understanding that only one blood clot issue occurred, and that was with the Janssen vaccine. The study was halted while it was investigated and then restarted. 

The clots of concern we see now did not show up until many more than 10 million people had been vaccinated. There is zero chance that these potential side effects would have been discovered without massive roll out worldwide, which means that no matter how slowly the vaccines were developed, we would not have known about this as a potential issue. 

It’s also worth noting that the “new” vaccines, the mRNA vaccines, do not appear to have this potential side effect. It’s only the vaccines using tried and true technologies that have caused concern. They would not have had any greater oversight had vaccine development taken years, not months. 
    Do you have any opinion on the "blood clotting, stillbirths, and bizarre menses in women" that Naomi Wolf reported on yesterday?  I asked because I believe you are a woman yourself.
    7 million people will lead to all sorts of random outcomes unrelated to the vaccine.  Women have these issues all the time, caused by BC, smoking, and lots of other problems.  I'm not sure what any of it means yet.  Second, this woman isn't a physician or a scientist of any type.  She's just reporting what she is hearing and it's anecdotal, and very possibly completely random.  
    I don't disagree with any of this.  And to circle all the way back around, is it not safe for someone to have vaccine hesitancies?  After the J&J news today, I think it absolutely is yet I have been called "selfish" among other things around here.  
    I don't have a problem with a person deciding not to get the vaccine.  I have more of a problem with someone spreading false and deceptive information to influence others not to get the vaccine.  And for you, I had a problem with your herd immunity position.  
    I am 100% certain that every one of us will take actions today with a higher likelihood  of death or serious injury than 1 in 1,000,000, without even a second thought, yet many will be up in arms about potential risks related to vaccination. People are inherently illogical and have a very hard time assessing risk accurately. I do view an unwillingness to take that tiny, tiny risk in order to improve public health as selfish, when people are taking much higher risks for things they want to do. 
    For a bit of perspective, building code in Ontario is designed to over-engineer so that the risk of structural failure within its usable life is approximately 1 in 2,000,000, which we were taught is roughly equivalent to the suggested risk of falling and dying in a bathtub in one's lifetime. These are risks which reasonable people accept.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776

https://news.yahoo.com/johnson-johnson-blood-clot-risk-compared-common-medications-experts-175644988.html

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine has a 0.00009 percent risk of blood clots. With other common medications, the risk is greater.

People across the U.S. woke up to news on Tuesday that the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are recommending a “pause” in the use of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine after it was linked to a rare form of blood clots.

There have been six reported cases of a condition called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) — a type of blood clot in the brain that can lead to a stroke — out of the more than 6.8 million doses of the vaccine that have been administered in the U.S., according to a joint statement from the agencies. All six cases happened in women between the ages of 18 and 48, with symptoms developing six to 13 days after they were vaccinated.

The CDC plans to have a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices on Wednesday to review the cases, and the FDA will review that analysis. Until then, the agencies say that they are recommending “a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution.” 

Several states, including New YorkNew JerseyFlorida and Michigan, are following the agencies’ recommendation. According to the CDC, more than 74 million Americans are fully vaccinated, with the majority receiving either the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine (36,194,022) or the Moderna vaccine (31,014,082). 

Some people have taken to social media claiming that the risk of blood clots is much greater with other medications, including birth control.

While experts say that there are valid concerns about a possible link between CVST and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, they also agree that some other medications come with a chance of developing the disorder — and some with a higher risk than the possible 0.00009 percent risk presented by this particular vaccine.

“For many medications that we use commonly, the risk of serious side effects is much greater than one in a million,” Dr. Martin J. Blaser, director of the Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine at Rutgers University, tells Yahoo Life.

But what are those medications, exactly? Here’s a breakdown.

What other medications can cause CVST?

CVST is rare overall — it affects about 5 in 1 million people each year, according to Cedars-Sinai. In general, though, “drugs that can cause blood clots are all medications that can do this,” Jamie Alan, assistant professor of pharmacology at Michigan State University, tells Yahoo Life.

Those can include:

· Oral contraceptives. The exact risk varies by type, but “oral contraceptives containing estrogen, or any estrogen-containing product” can raise the risk of CVST, Alan says. One meta-analysis of 861 studies on CVST found that the risk of developing the condition is 7.59 times higher in women who are taking oral contraceptives than in those who are not taking the pills.

· Testosterone supplementation. Excess testosterone in the body is “converted to estrogen, so testosterone supplementation also carries a risk of CVST,” Alan says. This is a rare complication, but it can happen. A 2019 case report details the story of a 33-year-old man who experienced CVST after taking testosterone replacement therapy as prescribed by his doctor.

· Warfarin. This medication, which is commonly used to treat and prevent blood clots, comes with an increased risk of CVST within the first few days of its use, Alan says.

· Heparin. This medication is also used to prevent blood clots. One study found that up to 9 percent of patients who are treated with it had issues with brain bleeding afterward. “Heparin increases the risk of CVST, but we still use it,” Dr. Thomas Russo, professor and chief of infectious disease at the University at Buffalo in New York, tells Yahoo Life. “All physicians have seen this syndrome.”

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin and ibuprofen also come with an increased risk of blood clots and brain bleeding, and not just CVST either, Alan points out.

Overall, CVST “isn’t very common, but when this occurs, it can be traumatic,” Alan says.

Experts stress that the associated risk of CVST from the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is incredibly low. 

“People have forgotten that COVID-19 is the clear and present danger,” infectious disease expert Dr. Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, tells Yahoo Life. “COVID-19 can cause blood clots and kill you. The world needs to get a lot better at risk-benefit calculation.”

Blaser stresses that CVST seems to be a “very, very rare complication” of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — if the link is determined through more analysis. “It’s reasonable to pause and look at the data,” he says.

Russo says that the news shouldn’t keep people from getting vaccinated against COVID-19. “There is not a 100 percent cause-and-effect situation with CVST and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, but I’m concerned that this association will prove to be real,” he says. “In the meantime, there are two other very good vaccines in the mix.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I think it’s disingenuous to label someone as “selfish” for having concerns over a vaccine that has been administered in large scale for a short few months.  If that concerned person is spreading misinformation, that’s one thing, but to have concern is completely legitimate.  It would be selfish (in my opinion) to refuse a vaccine for polio, for example, as we know the safety of it after decades of use. Decades and months are not the same. I’m someone that has received all “standard” vaccines, as have my children.  I’ll very likely end up getting the vaccine, but it doesn’t mean I can’t have concerns over it without being selfish. 
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    bbiggs said:
    I think it’s disingenuous to label someone as “selfish” for having concerns over a vaccine that has been administered in large scale for a short few months.  If that concerned person is spreading misinformation, that’s one thing, but to have concern is completely legitimate.  It would be selfish (in my opinion) to refuse a vaccine for polio, for example, as we know the safety of it after decades of use. Decades and months are not the same. I’m someone that has received all “standard” vaccines, as have my children.  I’ll very likely end up getting the vaccine, but it doesn’t mean I can’t have concerns over it without being selfish. 
    I agree with all of this, and ultimately, may end up getting the vaccine but it will not be anytime soon.

To Mickey, mrussel, and others, if the chances of blood clots or other events are so low in the J&J vaccine and other drugs offer greater chances of side effects (we have all seen the drug commercials which lists side effects are 15 seconds), why are they stopping the J&J now?  This is not a gotcha or anything, just trying to come up with a reason.
  • Options
    stated reason was to study the problem during this recommended PAUSE.

note, its recommended. not mandated. 9 million doses in the pipeline.

it also gives end recipients a more informed choice. surely a good thing, no?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This has a good summary.  They have not determined if the link is to oral contraceptives.  

https://news.trust.org/item/20210413134718-jugko
    I thought that you couldn't get pregnant from oral? :open_mouth:
    Don't believe everything the guys tell you at truck stops.
    why, those motherfuckers.....

*climbs back into rig.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    bbiggs said:
    one of the bigger problems, as i see it, is that many of those that are concerned are largely so because they believe, then spread, said misinformation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    Does anyone with knowledge of the vaccine process know when or if the "emergency use authorization" tag will be removed?  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I agree with all of this, and ultimately, may end up getting the vaccine but it will not be anytime soon.

To Mickey, mrussel, and others, if the chances of blood clots or other events are so low in the J&J vaccine and other drugs offer greater chances of side effects (we have all seen the drug commercials which lists side effects are 15 seconds), why are they stopping the J&J now?  This is not a gotcha or anything, just trying to come up with a reason.
    My guess is so they can evaluate and correlate medications adn other ailments that the people had.  So if it's oral contraceptives, then maybe the CDC instructs women on OCs to get the Phizer or whatever.  it's a perfectly reasonable response, to this layman. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Perfect is the enemy of good.

This will cost more lives than it will save.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies Mickey and mrussel...  Both replies make sense, I guess I am getting hung up on the Pfizer and Moderna having reports of thrombosis as well, (from what I have seen more per 100k administered than the J&J with all three still being minimal) why did those not get stopped for review or what not?

• Options
    Thanks for the replies Mickey and mrussel...  Both replies make sense, I guess I am getting hung up on the Pfizer and Moderna having reports of thrombosis as well, (from what I have seen more per 100k administered than the J&J with all three still being minimal) why did those not get stopped for review or what not?

Got a link?  I've only seen AZ with the blood clotting, and that's not approved in the US. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Got a link?  I've only seen AZ with the blood clotting, and that's not approved in the US. 
    Hope the Woke Zombie on twitter counts...  She has never led me astray yet and has been pretty reliable...  Tweet and then chart below.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Hope the Woke Zombie on twitter counts...  She has never led me astray yet and has been pretty reliable...  Tweet and then chart below.

I don't see how he derived these numbers.  I also know the CDC said just this afternoon that there were no known cases of DVT from Moderna and Phizer.  

Now I'm not a doctor so it's possible that this rare clot from J&J is not just thrombosis but something more deadly.  It's also possible and logical that the CDC was looking at the Euro cases too, when making this recommendation (which is not a requirement).
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    Does anyone with knowledge of the vaccine process know when or if the "emergency use authorization" tag will be removed?  
    Good question.  The way I understand it (and I freely admit I could be totally wrong) some of these issues should have been caught if the vaccines went through the normal procedure for gaining approval.

Essentially, EUA allows for a "shortcut" to market.  Can anyone confirm this?  I hate to use the term shortcut and would welcome a better word.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I know we're not supposed to publish full articles, but this is important and relevant, and many can't get through the paywall.  Here is the perspective from a former Surgeon General and Dean from UVA medical school.  It reflects many of the points made today, including other risks we take every day that are far more deadly.  @oftenreading brought them up.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/13/pausing-johnson-johnson-vaccine-was-right-choice/

Jerome Adams, a former U.S. surgeon general, is writing in his private capacity as a University of Virginia Darden dean’s fellow.

The announcement Tuesday that U.S. authorities recommend pausing administration of Johnson & Johnson’s covid-19 vaccine over incidents of blood clots is big news. It is important to read past the headlines and to have a healthy dose of perspective on the available information.

I have no doubt that officials at the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention agonized over the decision to halt administration of a highly effective and lifesaving vaccine. Still, I think it was the right choice. Medical professionals’ highest obligation is to avoid knowingly inflicting harm on patients. This pause is as much about maintaining public trust as it is about individual harm vs. potential benefit. Emerging data on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was concerning enough to necessitate pausing and closer study.

Advertisement

So far, the data appears to indicate that six women have experienced “extremely rare” blood clots. While general concern is warranted about this vaccine, this pause should actually instill confidence among Americans that the safety monitoring process is working as it should. There is no drug for which all of the possible safety issues are known before authorization or approval. If a complication has an incidence of 1 in 1 million people, the complication may not become statistically detectable until several million people have received the therapy. Even then, it would become visible only if robust reporting and review systems are in place. That is exactly why the FDA reviews drug data for many years after initial approval. The covid-19 vaccine trials and approval process are working as they should, and now we have evidence that the monitoring process is functioning appropriately.

This is a moment to keep in mind that every medical treatment has risks as well as benefits. One can experience negative side effects from treatments as common as Tylenol (overdoses from which kill one to two people every day) or ibuprofen. With more than 6 million Americans having received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine so far, the risk of blood clots — if proved — appears to be less than 1 in 1 million. For perspective, the risk of blood clots from smoking is about 1 in 600; from birth control, it’s 1 in 1,000; and from covid-19, it’s 1 in 7 — all far greater. With further investigation, it might become clear that the women who developed the rare blood clots had a particular risk factor in common or that some other as-yet-unknown risk factor is present.

Here’s another thing to consider: More than 560,000 Americans have died of covid-19. That puts the risk of fatality from the virus around 1 in 600. You’re not worried about covid because you don’t consider yourself high-risk? The risk of dying from covid if you are younger than 40 is about 1 in 40,000 — still far greater than the potential 1-in-1-million chance of a blood clot.

Advertisement

Even if the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is proven to increase the risk of blood clots among some recipients, people should keep in mind that this vaccine has a different formulation than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Those new types of mRNA vaccines have been given to exponentially more people, and no higher incidence of clots has been noted among recipients. Those worried that Tuesday’s “pause” signals something about all covid vaccines are wrong. We shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water: We still have two highly effective and safe vaccines to help us beat back covid, plus variants, and facilitate reopening.

As a practicing anesthesiologist, I regularly discuss consent with patients for surgery. I tell my patients that everything medical professionals do has the potential to harm them under certain circumstances but that the treatments we offer can also relieve suffering and perhaps save their lives. I explain the risks but also the benefits of proceeding. I also tell them what I’d choose or recommend if I or a loved one were making the choice.

I’m a scientist and a doctor. I followed the vaccine trials closely, and I decided to get vaccinated. If I had to choose again, I’d make the same decision. While we absolutely must review the data and find out whether certain people are at greater risk with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, I’d still advise family members who weren’t already at increased risk for clots to take the Johnson & Johnson vaccine if it were the only one available to them.

Americans make many choices every day that carry a far greater risk. Among the greatest of those risks is the harm that comes from failing to protect ourselves from covid.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    23scidoo said:
    Now, if I wanted to dabble in conspiracies, I would respond to this post with...

"If you think they are making money now, wait til the 6 month boosters come out"

...but that might be too close to the truth.
    There is no conispiracie..its fact, like science..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Are you arguing that the vaccines should be free from the manufacturers, they should be 0 profit, 0 loss, or that they should be able to make a profit.  Make a clear argument here, for once. 
    Same price for everyone and we do not increase prices in just 3-4 months..
    clear??
    Do you think production costs are the same no matter the time, materials, shipping, etc.?  Just curious how long you have a run a business, or been involved in anything multinational? 
    Should i feel sorry for them maybe??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't see how he derived these numbers.  I also know the CDC said just this afternoon that there were no known cases of DVT from Moderna and Phizer.  

Now I'm not a doctor so it's possible that this rare clot from J&J is not just thrombosis but something more deadly.  It's also possible and logical that the CDC was looking at the Euro cases too, when making this recommendation (which is not a requirement).

https://news.yahoo.com/johnson-johnson-blood-clot-risk-compared-common-medications-experts-175644988.html

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine has a 0.00009 percent risk of blood clots. With other common medications, the risk is greater.

There have been six reported cases of a condition called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) — a type of blood clot in the brain that can lead to a stroke — out of the more than 6.8 million doses of the vaccine that have been administered in the U.S., according to a joint statement from the agencies. All six cases happened in women between the ages of 18 and 48, with symptoms developing six to 13 days after they were vaccinated.

edit to add, the article then lists a number of other treatment courses that can lead to the same thing.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Are you arguing that the vaccines should be free from the manufacturers, they should be 0 profit, 0 loss, or that they should be able to make a profit.  Make a clear argument here, for once. 
    clear??
    Do you think production costs are the same no matter the time, materials, shipping, etc.?  Just curious how long you have a run a business, or been involved in anything multinational? 
    Should they feel sorry for you?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    clear??
    I'm not the one who thinks they care..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    clear??
    Who is that person?  You posted the link about the increasing prices.  I asked if you though they should give it away, run it at break even or make a profit.  I explained that production costs, shipping, etc. likely increases over time.. you know COLA, inflation, etc.  And then you asking if you should feel sorry.  Talk about a non-sequitur. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    clear??
    Who is that person?  You posted the link about the increasing prices.  I asked if you though they should give it away, run it at break even or make a profit.  I explained that production costs, shipping, etc. likely increases over time.. you know COLA, inflation, etc.  And then you asking if you should feel sorry.  Talk about a non-sequitur. 
    If you can't see the big business out there..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    clear??
    If you can't construct an argument...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    clear??

or answer a simple question

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    FiveBelow said:
    Products approved under EUA can only be used during a public health emergency, so when/if COVID stops presenting a public health emergency the companies will need to apply through the usual channels if they wish to keep selling their vaccines in the US, for instance for boosters or vaccination of children or newcomers. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    clear??

or answer a simple question
    Sorry but i can't help you..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I heard if you take a first dose of moderna and follow it up with a second dose of Pfizer you will turn into ManBearPig. I got it from a very reliable source on Parler that has never steered me wrong. Why isn’t the drive by media reporting on this very real problem?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I heard if you take a first dose of moderna and follow it up with a second dose of Pfizer you will turn into ManBearPig. I got it from a very reliable source on Parler that has never steered me wrong. Why isn’t the drive by media reporting on this very real problem?
    This is an actual picture of the communist corporate pharma communist's victim, right before he went to the ER.  

This discussion has been closed.