The coronavirus

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It is possible that half doses of the Moderna vaccine provide similar protection to full doses, which, if proven, could significantly increase the availability of the vaccine. More research needed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/moderna-half-doses-1.5915983
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    23scidoo said:

Organizations may want to spread out vaccination days for their staff, if possible. Overall it's a net gain to have everyone vaccinated, for so many reasons, but having a bunch of people off for a day due to expected side effects is bound to be a nuisance. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Perhaps Cuomo was a little fast in writing that book about leadership patting himself on the back for his handling of COVID.  Everyone loved him just because he didn't like Trump.  Turns out he's just your typical scumbag politician...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/nyregion/cuomo-nursing-homes-deaths.html
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Perhaps Cuomo was a little fast in writing that book about leadership patting himself on the back for his handling of COVID.  Everyone loved him just because he didn't like Trump.  Turns out he's just your typical scumbag politician...

his comments about "experts" was pretty trumpian too. the guy doesn't seem to give a fuck. just "listen to me!". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638

Been saying this for a while. Imagine if Trump wrote a book patting himself on the back mid-way through a pandemic? This guy somehow flies under the radar every time. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:

Been saying this for a while. Imagine if Trump wrote a book patting himself on the back mid-way through a pandemic? This guy somehow flies under the radar every time. 
    he won't now. he was an enemy of trump which automatically made him a good guy in the eyes of many who didn't know (myself included). he just seems like an ass now without trump to out-ass him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:

he won't now. he was an enemy of trump which automatically made him a good guy in the eyes of many who didn't know (myself included). he just seems like an ass now without trump to out-ass him. 
    Exactly. Without Trump we can now focus on these scumbags that have been flying under the radar. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thing is, no politician should be able to fly under the radar simply because some other blowhard is flying higher.

Maybe - ? - people will learn that others liking or not liking Trump (or it being perceived as such) was a lousy barometer for character, responsibility, or those other qualities worthy of a good leader.

One hugeass smelly elephant in the room doesn’t automatically make the littler, less stinky elephants any less dangerous. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    nicknyr15 said:

Yup.  People ignored the fact he was dismissive of the pandemic, slow to react and then made some wrong choices that indeed ended up in more cases and fatalities.  Some of those wrong choices could be defended as mistakes as it was new to everyone.  But then hiding it...can't defend that.  Cuomo has never been a covid hero or some great leader in the times of covid.  But his comments towards trump sure won him some fans who didn;t care about the details.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Well by a twist of fate I've been very lucky to get the Oxford astrazenica vaccine. 
    A friend  is a nurse and when everyone is vaccinated  there is sometimes a couple shots that will get thrown away. So she called to say its getting thrown away and I went and had it. 
    So as a chronic health  anxiety sufferer this next 24 hrs will be hellish  in my head but hopefully  not my body. Let's see
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Good news, hope your side effects are mild to non existent
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Thanks I hope so too 😊 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Well by a twist of fate I've been very lucky to get the Oxford astrazenica vaccine. 
    A friend  is a nurse and when everyone is vaccinated  there is sometimes a couple shots that will get thrown away. So she called to say its getting thrown away and I went and had it. 
    So as a chronic health  anxiety sufferer this next 24 hrs will be hellish  in my head but hopefully  not my body. Let's see
    Great news! I hope that will be a big load off your mind. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Well by a twist of fate I've been very lucky to get the Oxford astrazenica vaccine. 
    Glad to hear! 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Great to hear you are getting the vaccine!  One or two shots for the oxford vaccine?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Awesome news, Rob. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Deplorables being deplorable....

Men posed as U.S. marshals to avoid wearing masks at Florida resort, authorities say. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/men-posed-u-s-marshals-avoid-wearing-masks-florida-resort-n1258220
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Great to hear you are getting the vaccine!  One or two shots for the oxford vaccine?  
    2 shots but we space them way out. 
    So.12 weeks away I guess. 
    Going to sleep now
     See how i wake!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• hedonist said:
    Awesome news, Rob. 
    Thanks 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Well 3 out of 4 of us vaccinated  are feeling really  rough but I guess that's the immune process working. I'm so grateful.  Not moaning at all. Just an update. 
    It feels like a flu atm. Overwhelming.  But temporary.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Well 3 out of 4 of us vaccinated  are feeling really  rough but I guess that's the immune process working. I'm so grateful.  Not moaning at all. Just an update. 
    Be well R..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• 23scidoo said:
    Well 3 out of 4 of us vaccinated  are feeling really  rough but I guess that's the immune process working. I'm so grateful.  Not moaning at all. Just an update. 
    Be well R..
    Thank you sir. Atm I feel the most ill i have in many years. Trying to watch nature programmes and say it will be better this time tomorrow.  Thankfully my lady has no side effects  so she is looking after our 3 year old
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Hope you feel better soon! So happy you got the shot.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Preliminary data suggest that one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech may provide as much protection as two. If this bears out it is a major leap forward, as it will allow us to vaccinate far more people more quickly. Perhaps we then come back later and give everyone a second dose.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-health-experts-studying-evidence-suggesting-one-dose-of-pfizers-covid/

There is compelling evidence that a single dose of COVID-19 vaccines may provide almost as much protection as giving two doses, Canada’s deputy chief public health officer said Thursday.

Dr. Howard Njoo said the advisory committee of federal and provincial public health officers is having an active discussion about whether Canada would be better served to delay the second doses of vaccines in a bid to give protection to more vulnerable people quicker.

“These are what I would call early data in terms of a vaccine effectiveness or studies,” he said. “And the indications are that there’s a good level of protection after just one dose.”

Canada intends to vaccinate three million people with two doses by the end of March.

More than 990,000 Canadians have received at least one dose, and about one-third of those have also received their second doses.

Quebec’s immunization committee went as far Thursday as to recommend nobody get a second dose until a first dose is injected into everyone in six high-risk groups, including people over 70, health-care workers, and people who live in long-term care homes and retirement residences.

The committee reported that single doses have been 80 per cent effective at preventing COVID-19 so far among long-term care residents and health workers who were vaccinated.

Questions about delaying the second doses arose almost as soon as vaccinations began in December, prompting a whirlwind of debate among scientists about the ethics of “going off label.”

Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna’s vaccines – the two currently authorized in Canada – were tested by giving two doses, 21 days and 28 days apart respectively.

But Dr. Danuta Skowronski, the epidemiology lead for influenza and emerging respiratory pathogens at the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, said data show two weeks after one dose of either vaccine, the protection against COVID-19 was almost as good as what was found after two doses.

Skowronski and Dr. Dr. Gaston De Serres from the Institut national de sante publique du Quebec made the case in a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine this week.

Moderna reported itself that two weeks after one dose, those who got the vaccine were 92 per cent less likely to develop COVID-19 symptoms.

Pfizer and BioNTech, whose vaccine uses similar genetic technology to Moderna’s, said their vaccine was 52 per cent effective after one dose, but 94.5 per cent effective after two.

Skowronski said Pfizer started measuring illness as soon as the injections were given, which she said is “unreasonable.”

“It’s basic vaccinology that you don’t expect the vaccine to activate the immune system instantaneously,” she said, in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Skowronski said if you wait two weeks to start counting infections, there were 92 per cent fewer infections of COVID-19 among those who got one dose of the vaccine, compared with those who got the placebo.

At that level of protection, she said “we need to get a first dose into our priority populations, and the most vulnerable of those at greatest risk of severe outcomes and the precious resource of our front-line health-care workers.”

She said the second dose should eventually be given but said there isn’t a maximum time she would put on how long to wait.

Pfizer has issued caution about adjusting the dosing schedule but said the decision to do so rests with local authorities.

“We at Pfizer believe that it is critical for health authorities to carry on surveillance on implemented alternative dosing schedules to ensure that vaccines provide the maximum possible protection,” the company’s statement reads.

Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization said in January that the recommended schedule should be followed wherever possible but that delaying a second dose up to six weeks could be beneficial, particularly with a shortage of supplies and a fast-spreading virus.

Skowronski said waiting six weeks instead of three or four for a second dose won’t do much.

“That’s not maximizing coverage that we need to undertake with the scarcity of the vaccine that is available now.”

Several provinces have been delaying the second doses a couple of weeks, particularly as deliveries of both Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine and Moderna’s slowed to a crawl in mid-January.

Those delays appear to be over. Pfizer says it will ship nearly three million doses over the next six weeks, and Moderna promises to ship more than 1.4 million.

With the two authorized vaccines, and the two-dose schedule followed, Canada expects to vaccinate 14.5 million people by the end of June and all Canadians who want to be immunized by the end of September.

A new vaccination schedule issued Thursday shows if the other three vaccines currently being reviewed get approved by Health Canada, 24.5 million Canadians could be vaccinated before Canada Day.

Also, Canada's vaccine deliveries are back on track, with over 400,000 doses received this week and hefty shipments of around 400,000-450,000 a week planned until their contract is fulfilled.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    My parents just got their second shot today. Their health has been my main worry since this whole thing started. So, I am very relieved. I hope to be able to visit them in mid March for my mom’s birthday. It has been so long since I have seen them. 
This discussion has been closed.