Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,587
    Florida's gonna Florida.
    25,000 fans at the game this weekend....it's the Super Bowl!

Fucking idiots.
    Just to be clear at least 7,500 are vaccinated first responders attending as guest of the NFL and individual teams.
    Right, I did forget that.
    I think it was a publicity stunt but am happy for those folks.
    Also ....isn't the WHO and CDC still advising people who are vaccinated to wear masks and social distance?
    I am getting my second dose of Moderna tomorrow, and I plan on wearing my mask for the foreseeable future. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Glad to read of the people here getting dose two.
    I can't wait - need to get out and do some normal things again, although as you stated I will keep distance and mask in place.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Hobbes said:
    Second dose of the vaccine (Pfizer) earlier today. 
    Next day had mild fatigue and body ache. Oh, and a four hour erection. Thanks, Pfizer!
  • Options
    That would have been embarrassing at the vaccination site. Everyone walking around "at attention".  :)
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Get my 2nd on Monday.  Can’t wait!  It’s weird being so excited for a shot in the arm, ha
  • Options
    That would have been embarrassing at the vaccination site. Everyone walking around "at attention".  :)
    The staff at the vaccination site -- Madame Chow's Salon & Massage Parlor -- were very understanding and attended to my needs with care and compassion. Hands were a touch cold, but other than that, this story had a happy ending.

Really baffles me how anyone would be anti-vax. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    The staff at the vaccination site -- Madame Chow's Salon & Massage Parlor -- were very understanding and attended to my needs with care and compassion. Hands were a touch cold, but other than that, this story had a happy ending.

Really baffles me how anyone would be anti-vax. 
    The staff at mine will be a bunch of Indiana National Guard soldiers. MUCH different environment.
  • Options
    I would give anything for one jab. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I feel for you man. There are so many of my co-workers who were offered the vaccine and laughed it off. From what I was told, only about 33% of the staff here got the first dose in January. There are so many people desperate for one, and some people think it is a joke. Keep your head. Hopefully, they will get everything sorted out over there and get distribution ramped up.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    My wife is a social worker and is getting first dose of moderna tomorrow.  I'm probably still a ways off.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    I feel for you man. There are so many of my co-workers who were offered the vaccine and laughed it off. From what I was told, only about 33% of the staff here got the first dose in January. There are so many people desperate for one, and some people think it is a joke. Keep your head. Hopefully, they will get everything sorted out over there and get distribution ramped up.  

It's worrying how low the uptake is in some areas. A colleague of mine in medical administration in a hospital in Ontario told me that only 54% of their staff eligible for vaccination accepted the first dose, which is just crazy to me. We're talking about a health care setting, even though not all of those are direct health care staff.

Although not a lot of data has been released, it seems that uptake is better than that with the initial roll out in BC. Our health authority has said that in most facilities where vaccination has been available, the vast majority of staff have accepted the initial injection, and in some places it's 100%.

Just waiting for more vaccine to arrive now. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    We have this uptake problem  with care home staff.  It blows my mind. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

It's worrying how low the uptake is in some areas. A colleague of mine in medical administration in a hospital in Ontario told me that only 54% of their staff eligible for vaccination accepted the first dose, which is just crazy to me. We're talking about a health care setting, even though not all of those are direct health care staff.

Although not a lot of data has been released, it seems that uptake is better than that with the initial roll out in BC. Our health authority has said that in most facilities where vaccination has been available, the vast majority of staff have accepted the initial injection, and in some places it's 100%.

Can it be distribution for the low numbers?

Here in NY they are having a hard time giving them out.  A report came out on NPR that said at this rate it would take years to vaccinate all of NYC unless better delivery methods were taken and the fact that low income/heavily populated areas have even worse rates of administering the vaccine.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    From NYT artcile:

International patterns are rarely perfect, and this one has plenty of exceptions (like Iowa and Idaho, two red-state laggards, or New Mexico, a blue state that’s above average). So far, though, it’s hard to find many progressive governments that are vaccination role models.

Why? A common problem seems to be a focus on process rather than on getting shots into arms. Some progressive leaders are effectively sacrificing efficiency for what they consider to be equity.

The European Union has taken a ponderous, risk-averse approach that tries to avoid upsetting its member countries, Kauffmann points out. Similarly, many U.S. states have delegated decisions to local health officials and have suffered from “confusion and competition among localities,” William Galston of the Brookings Institution has written. State leaders in Alaska and West Virginia have taken a more top-down approach, Elaine Povich of Stateline has reported.

Some blue states have also created intricate rules about who qualifies for a vaccine and then made a big effort to keep anybody else from getting a shot. These complicated rules have slowed vaccination in both California and New York.

“Across New York State,” my colleague Dana Rubinstein has written, medical providers have had “to throw out precious vaccine doses because of difficulties finding patients who matched precisely with the state’s strict vaccination guidelines — and the steep penalties they would face had they made a mistake.”

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    From NYT artcile:

International patterns are rarely perfect, and this one has plenty of exceptions (like Iowa and Idaho, two red-state laggards, or New Mexico, a blue state that’s above average). So far, though, it’s hard to find many progressive governments that are vaccination role models.

Why? A common problem seems to be a focus on process rather than on getting shots into arms. Some progressive leaders are effectively sacrificing efficiency for what they consider to be equity.

The European Union has taken a ponderous, risk-averse approach that tries to avoid upsetting its member countries, Kauffmann points out. Similarly, many U.S. states have delegated decisions to local health officials and have suffered from “confusion and competition among localities,” William Galston of the Brookings Institution has written. State leaders in Alaska and West Virginia have taken a more top-down approach, Elaine Povich of Stateline has reported.

Some blue states have also created intricate rules about who qualifies for a vaccine and then made a big effort to keep anybody else from getting a shot. These complicated rules have slowed vaccination in both California and New York.

“Across New York State,” my colleague Dana Rubinstein has written, medical providers have had “to throw out precious vaccine doses because of difficulties finding patients who matched precisely with the state’s strict vaccination guidelines — and the steep penalties they would face had they made a mistake.”

They also have been screwing up appointments here.  It's not all doom and gloom though as people are getting the vax and I know a few dozen that have received it already.
  • Options
    Governments screwing up the implementation of something? Huh. Who would have thought. I agree that the inequity of communities that suffered the most during this needs to be a strong factor in where the vaccines go, but paralysis through analysis trying to be legalistic on it helps no one.   
  • Options

8 of 14 in my department (we provide direct services within a healthcare setting) have been vaccinated. Baffling.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Can it be distribution for the low numbers?

Here in NY they are having a hard time giving them out.  A report came out on NPR that said at this rate it would take years to vaccinate all of NYC unless better delivery methods were taken and the fact that low income/heavily populated areas have even worse rates of administering the vaccine.

Do you mean are distribution issues responsible for the low vaccine uptake in that hospital I mentioned? If so, no; they had doses available for all of the staff and they were offered at the worksite. That was straight up refusal. 

Distribution issues have been involved with more remote sites, but this hospital is in an urban centre. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    From NYT artcile:

They also have been screwing up appointments here.  It's not all doom and gloom though as people are getting the vax and I know a few dozen that have received it already.
    It's not great in Ohio.  My 73 year old mother with immune system issues whose week it is hasn't found a vaccine and never called back by state line.  It's cause they moved teachers up.  It is supposed to open to 65 year olds monday.... it's not good.  The lack of transparency in the scheduling is a problem.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Governments screwing up the implementation of something? Huh. Who would have thought. I agree that the inequity of communities that suffered the most during this needs to be a strong factor in where the vaccines go, but paralysis through analysis trying to be legalistic on it helps no one.   
    I wish I could find the other article, because it said if they just focused on speed, getting vaccine out to whomever, it would benefit the wealthy of course, but long term it's better for the disadvantaged as well.  Vaccines should go where there are arms ready to receive.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    In Canada, our largest pharmacy, shoppers drug mart offered to do the vaccinations.  They can do 3 million a week.  We just need vaccine...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    In Canada, our largest pharmacy, shoppers drug mart offered to do the vaccinations.  They can do 3 million a week.  We just need vaccine...
    I have been reading the accounts of the vaccine difficulties up there. It is a mess for sure.
  • Options
    I wish I could find the other article, because it said if they just focused on speed, getting vaccine out to whomever, it would benefit the wealthy of course, but long term it's better for the disadvantaged as well.  Vaccines should go where there are arms ready to receive.
    That’s essentially how they are doing it here.  They are loosely following guidelines, but it is a walk in system and I have not heard of anyone being turned away.  No issue at all getting these rolled out around here, and nearly a quarter of the population of about 200k have already had their first round of shots.
    The ones that are doing poorly are the ones that are adhering too strictly to certain population protocols and trying to maintain appointments, etc.  Just get as many people as possible to administer shots and give to as many as possible daily.  
    We’ve already been seeing a pretty large decline in hospital admittance after giving shots for 2 months. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    That’s essentially how they are doing it here.  They are loosely following guidelines, but it is a walk in system and I have not heard of anyone being turned away.  No issue at all getting these rolled out around here, and nearly a quarter of the population of about 200k have already had their first round of shots.
    The ones that are doing poorly are the ones that are adhering too strictly to certain population protocols and trying to maintain appointments, etc.  Just get as many people as possible to administer shots and give to as many as possible daily.  
    We’ve already been seeing a pretty large decline in hospital admittance after giving shots for 2 months. 
    Where?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Where?
    Deep in the heart of TX.  I’m wary of giving the exact location in a public forum because there is a real fear of people from other areas flooding in.  I’ll disclose after I get my second shot on Monday, haha
  • Options
    Great  to hear  its filtering  through  with  falling  hospital  admissions.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Great  to hear  its filtering  through  with  falling  hospital  admissions.  
    Me too, because there are still plenty of anti-maskers around here...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    PJPOWER said:
    I work in post secondary education and the only one's who have been vaccinated or offered vaccination are those who are in the health care fields, but even that isn't everyone. Our research dept. is working on pulling together the data on who has been offered and who has received. Basically everyone I work with is waiting and wants to get one, but we all assume it will be at least a few more months, if not more. I do think we have more demand than supply right now so sticking with the rollout plan is probably best until they have the resources needed to give out on demand.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I work in post secondary education and the only one's who have been vaccinated or offered vaccination are those who are in the health care fields, but even that isn't everyone. Our research dept. is working on pulling together the data on who has been offered and who has received. Basically everyone I work with is waiting and wants to get one, but we all assume it will be at least a few more months, if not more. I do think we have more demand than supply right now so sticking with the rollout plan is probably best until they have the resources needed to give out on demand.
    That’s crazy, we have a pretty large healthcare population and all of them were vaccinated back in December...
    The 65+ population started getting theirs 1st of January and they have gradually loosened restrictions since.  How are they actually administering them there, by appointment or?  Here they have 30 booths.  A person goes in and fills out 1 page paperwork in one room, then gets called to a booth to get the shot.  It’s a revolving door.

• Options
    Its an amazing  time to live in. Part of real history.  The vaccine  .  The speed of administration of the vaccine.  Uk has done 11million . Thats amazing 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.