Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    For such a small  country we sure fucked this up. How can we have every variant  available and we are an island   
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    For such a small  country we sure fucked this up. How can we have every variant  available and we are an island   
    Airplanes?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Yes we only just shut borders. Pathetic 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,258

It doesn't surprise me.   I figured back when Trudeau was buying the vaccines, that we'd still run into problems.  The first being distribution.  There's going to be issues if companies need to scale up once they have a viable vaccine.   The other is that we don't make vaccine's so we're at the mercy of other countries.   I don't imagine it's an easy thing to live in a country that's pumping out vaccines, and still having their own population not vaccinated.

I do find it odd people jump on him for it though.  It was a conservative government that ended our ability to make vaccines.   Liberals were guilty of not thinking to start it back up again.

I would hope after his pandemic that we bring back our ability to make vaccines.   Could you imagine if there was a virus far more lethal than covid?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,530
    Parliamentary Assembly – Council of Europe
    7.3.1.ensure that citizens are informed that the vaccination is NOT
    mandatory and that no one is politically, socially, or otherwise
    pressured to get themselves vaccinated, if they do not wish to do so
    themselves..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited February 2021
    Zod said:

It doesn't surprise me.   I figured back when Trudeau was buying the vaccines, that we'd still run into problems.  The first being distribution.  There's going to be issues if companies need to scale up once they have a viable vaccine.   The other is that we don't make vaccine's so we're at the mercy of other countries.   I don't imagine it's an easy thing to live in a country that's pumping out vaccines, and still having their own population not vaccinated.

I do find it odd people jump on him for it though.  It was a conservative government that ended our ability to make vaccines.   Liberals were guilty of not thinking to start it back up again.

I would hope after his pandemic that we bring back our ability to make vaccines.   Could you imagine if there was a virus far more lethal than covid?
    We do make vaccines in this country.  The only one saying we don’t is Trudeau.  

Domestic vaccine-makers want more help from Ottawa: ‘There’s been a real lack of leadership’

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Canada signs deal with Novavax to make its COVID-19 vaccine at new Montreal facility

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-signs-deal-with-novavax-to-make-its-covid-19-vaccine-at-new-montreal-facility-1.5291835?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvwindsor%3Amanualpost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20New%20Content%20(Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1inegvXy0deIlUtcsvU8wZ6kBKOXnKoCkhqDd3eqTLqO5ZtgIlkArOivE

Don’t get too excited.  This vaccine has not be approved and is still at least 2 months away.  Trudeau wouldn’t want to invest in Canadian companies???

what a clown show he runs...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I had my first shot today Pfizer’s biotech I feel just like before.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,643
    This is what my neighboring province is doing to counter the variant transmission.  When BC's orders expire this Friday, I wonder what will be put in place...
    I was thinking last week contacts of contacts need quarantine, but I hadn't considered that they'd need the extra time to possibly transmit then quarantine. 

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,258
    Zod said:

Domestic vaccine-makers want more help from Ottawa: ‘There’s been a real lack of leadership’

That article says they're trying to develop a vaccine in Edmonton, but they haven't developed one yet, and they don't have the capacity to create them (they'd need money to start a manufacturing facility).

As of today I'm pretty sure we don't have the ability to make vaccines.   That announcement for a facility in Quebec seems to be the first.  Seems like a good start, even if it we'll probably have a large chunk of our population vaccinated by the time it comes online (well maybe?).

• Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

That article says they're trying to develop a vaccine in Edmonton, but they haven't developed one yet, and they don't have the capacity to create them (they'd need money to start a manufacturing facility).

As of today I'm pretty sure we don't have the ability to make vaccines.   That announcement for a facility in Quebec seems to be the first.  Seems like a good start, even if it we'll probably have a large chunk of our population vaccinated by the time it comes online (well maybe?).

The point being is if Trudeau had invested in this company and others in Canada...then maybe the vaccine roll out might look different...

why did Trudeau invest Canadian tax dollar in a Chinese vaccine...why?  Chinese has been kicking Trudeau ass and embarrassing the fool at every opportunity.

Trudeau fucked up the purchasing of vaccines...Trudeau could not run a hot dog stand...

Can we start blaming Trudeau for people ending up dead?

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    My gosh.  Trudeau is such a screw up...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Front page of today’s globe and mail...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2021

But the Canadian medical system is the bestest!
    I get my second dose on Monday and am anxious that I have to wait that long...Had a friend that just lost both parents to this within a month.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    PJPOWER said:

one has zero to do with the other. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:

I’m not very well versed in Canadian medicine, but I try to avoid definitives.  My statement was mostly in jest, but I’m a little blown away that non-third-world countries are having so much trouble rolling these out.
    My area (very “right wing” with a lot of virus deniers mind you) has been praised for being the model of how these vaccines should be distributed.  I guess I have the mentality of “if we can do it, anyone can”.  It just baffles me that so many places are fucking this up.
    I’m actually hesitant to tell anyone where exactly I live in fear that people from places doing a shitty job will flood our area to get vaccinated, as there are no “waiting lists” and we already have about a quarter of our area’s population vaccinated.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I’m not very well versed in Canadian medicine, but I try to avoid definitives.  My statement was mostly in jest, but I’m a little blown away that non-third-world countries are having so much trouble rolling these out.
    My area (very “right wing” with a lot of virus deniers mind you) has been praised for being the model of how these vaccines should be distributed.  I guess I have the mentality of “if we can do it, anyone can”.  It just baffles me that so many places are fucking this up.
    it's not necessarily the rollout. it's the acquisition. our previous prime minister did away with our capability to manufacture vaccines domestically. or, more accurately, he allowed it to be privatized and then sold, as far as I understand. 

our current PM failed to bring it back. unsurprisingly, this wasn't a top of the heap issue. for anyone. anyone to claim otherwise is just being a partisan political hack. so now we're at the mercy of other nations who obviously want to vaccinate their nations first, so we're seeing the bullshit the EU is trying to pull, by barring their companies from exporting any vaccines until they're all vaccinated first. trudeau was on the ball with negotiating contracts in the beginning. conservatives lambasted him in the beginning for overbuying vaccines that they thought was a waste of taxpayer dollars. 

if we had gone the conservative route, we'd be in a much worse position than we are (but some just NEED to hate on everything trudeau does). at least trudeau was willing to take the heat of the potential of overfilling our basket and the perception of "wasting" taxpayer dollars. now we're just hoping one of these companies, or many of them, hold true to their contracts and their governments don't intervene. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

it's not necessarily the rollout. it's the acquisition. our previous prime minister did away with our capability to manufacture vaccines domestically. or, more accurately, he allowed it to be privatized and then sold, as far as I understand. 

our current PM failed to bring it back. unsurprisingly, this wasn't a top of the heap issue. for anyone. anyone to claim otherwise is just being a partisan political hack. so now we're at the mercy of other nations who obviously want to vaccinate their nations first, so we're seeing the bullshit the EU is trying to pull, by barring their companies from exporting any vaccines until they're all vaccinated first. trudeau was on the ball with negotiating contracts in the beginning. conservatives lambasted him in the beginning for overbuying vaccines that they thought was a waste of taxpayer dollars. 

if we had gone the conservative route, we'd be in a much worse position than we are (but some just NEED to hate on everything trudeau does). at least trudeau was willing to take the heat of the potential of overfilling our basket and the perception of "wasting" taxpayer dollars. now we're just hoping one of these companies, or many of them, hold true to their contracts and their governments don't intervene. 
    I wasn’t just throwing Canada under the bus with the rollout.  A lot of cities/states in the US are having trouble with logistics of rolling these out.  I have a friend in Arizona that is in a very “at-risk” category (cancer), that said he cannot even get on a waiting list there do to inefficient rollout practices. 
     I walked in and got my first dose without having to even stand in a line.  The facility has probably 30 booths administering the vaccine at the same time and stays open until they run out.  
    In TX, 1 out of 13 people have been vaccinated and 1 out of 6 people over 65...over 2 million people vaccinated.  TX gets a lot wrong, but we seem to be doing a bang up job with these vaccines.  
    I don’t say this to gloat, but to bring awareness to how badly some states and countries (that are not having trouble acquiring these) are doing.  I have not heard any stories of people that want to get vaccinated around here not being able to...

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I wasn’t just throwing Canada under the bus with the rollout.  A lot of cities/states in the US are having trouble with logistics of rolling these out.  I have a friend in Arizona that is in a very “at-risk” category (cancer), that said he cannot even get on a waiting list there do to inefficient rollout practices. 
     I walked in and got my first dose without having to even stand in a line.  The facility has probably 30 booths administering the vaccine at the same time and stays open until they run out.  
    In TX, 1 out of 13 people have been vaccinated and 1 out of 6 people over 65...over 2 million people vaccinated.  TX gets a lot wrong, but we seem to be doing a bang up job with these vaccines.  
    I don’t say this to gloat, but to bring awareness to how badly some states and countries (that are not having trouble acquiring these) are doing.  I have not heard any stories of people that want to get vaccinated around here not being able to...

no, I get that (your first sentence). with such limited quantities coming into canada at this point, I currently have about 500,000 people ahead of me in line to get it (that's a real figure, not exaggeration-they have set up a website so you can see what your expected line placement is; i was at about 498,000). they had to prioritize who gets it when based on many factors. I'm white, 46, don't work in a vulnerable profession, etc, so I'm near the last in line. So maybe fall, I don't know. could even be later than that, depending on the variable of when we get shipments on the contracts the feds have signed. 

however, I do predict that once our care homes and caregivers are all taken care of (the former is complete, the latter is under way), as well as the more vulnerable first nations people get taken care of (under way), society will start to open up again like it did last summer. last summer was basically like normal life here for a few months. 

it's all about the ICU capacity. once the old people and most vulnerable stop going to the hospital, we'll be back to business as usual. still wearing masks, still distancing, probably not 100% capacity at businesses, but better than we are now. 

we've already gone from about 500 cases a day in november to about 100, and out of that only about 25% of it is in the major city (Winnipeg). the main problem right now is the northern communities and reserves. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

no, I get that (your first sentence). with such limited quantities coming into canada at this point, I currently have about 500,000 people ahead of me in line to get it (that's a real figure, not exaggeration-they have set up a website so you can see what your expected line placement is; i was at about 498,000). they had to prioritize who gets it when based on many factors. I'm white, 46, don't work in a vulnerable profession, etc, so I'm near the last in line. So maybe fall, I don't know. could even be later than that, depending on the variable of when we get shipments on the contracts the feds have signed. 

however, I do predict that once our care homes and caregivers are all taken care of (the former is complete, the latter is under way), as well as the more vulnerable first nations people get taken care of (under way), society will start to open up again like it did last summer. last summer was basically like normal life here for a few months. 

it's all about the ICU capacity. once the old people and most vulnerable stop going to the hospital, we'll be back to business as usual. still wearing masks, still distancing, probably not 100% capacity at businesses, but better than we are now. 

we've already gone from about 500 cases a day in november to about 100, and out of that only about 25% of it is in the major city (Winnipeg). the main problem right now is the northern communities and reserves. 
    Those numbers align pretty well to what we’re seeing here too.  I think our cases were like 600/day back in Nov., but now are hovering around 100.  Deaths are way down.  Hospital capacity is looking a lot better too.  Still a long ways before we’re “out of the woods”, but the news has been mostly positive lately.
  • Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    On tram. 

10 in cart had masks
    5 did not have

It's turning around.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I would walk
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    It’s Harpers fault...and Trudeau blamed Chrétien.  Lol.  Trudeau has had 6 years to address this issue?  He is currently PM?  Canada is the only g7 country that takes vaccines from a fund intended for developing nations...

Didn’t Trudeau shut down committee responsible fore Canada’s pandemic readiness...
    we need new leadership.
    Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.