Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Face masks: what the data say

The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Rich nations, like Canada, have bought too many coronavirus vaccines: Amnesty International - National | Globalnews.ca

Math is not the Prime Minister's strength.  Corruption is more of his strength....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Rich nations, like Canada, have bought too many coronavirus vaccines: Amnesty International - National | Globalnews.ca

Math is not the Prime Minister's strength.  Corruption is more of his strength....

How weird. Wasn't it just last week that you were complaining that Trudeau hadn't organized enough vaccine and the country was going to be at the back of the line to get immunized?

In any event, Canada hasn't "bought" too much vaccine. The government pre-ordered large quantities of many of the leading candidates because (1)  no one knew which ones will really pan out, in terms of efficacy and safety, and (2) no one knew which ones will end up being available when.

The government very likely won't end up with a big surplus that it doesn't need, because some will probably not come to market. If we have  extra, then great; it will go into the pool to provide vaccines to countries without the buying power for it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BC released their plan for vaccine roll out today in a fairly detailed fashion. Vaccinations start next week in two of BC's largest (and hardest hit) health authorities, Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health. By the first week of January the other health authorities should receive vaccines and start to immunize, with first priorities being the long term care facilities. However, because of the need for such low storage temperatures and the difficulty in getting vulnerable nursing home patients out to immunization centres, they are instead first going to immunize the health care workers at the long term care facilities, as well as the health care workers in ICUs and covid wards. The hope is that Moderna becomes available in early January, which will make it easier to vaccinate the frail elderly in place.

Next priority will be those over 80 living in the community, adults living in congregate housing sites (like group homes, etc), and isolated First Nations.  By March and April the bulk of other health care workers, first responders, and essential workers (including teachers) should be vaccinated.
  • Options
    Bought masks yesterday. The first masks (atleast being sold in sweden) to be certified to work against Covid-19, they told me.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

The world is a sad place.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/5fXn1PCU2E8
    Facts. Peer reviewd
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,160
    edited December 2020
    Bought masks yesterday. The first masks (atleast being sold in sweden) to be certified to work against Covid-19, they told me.
    Please  dont think that mask makes you invincible.  Please do all the  distance  apart.
    Washing and ventilation 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Looks like progress to me. That plateau is just around the corner. Should be here by Easter, like a miracle.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

You're upset that Trudeau acquired too many vaccines? 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Conservatives here were raging that he didn't get enough, now they are raging that he got too much. Even though it has been explicitly stated that we will be giving to less fortunate countries.

Turns out conservatives in Canada share many characteristics as conservatives in the US. One of them being no shame.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,193
    edited December 2020
    Please  dont think that mask makes you invincible.  Please do all the  distance  apart.
    Washing and ventilation 
    I'm using it because I have to go home and live with my mom for Christmas. So I will need to go by tram and then for a 45min train ride. 

So I'm quarantining for a week, and then try to survive the train ride to my mom with the mask and trying to keep a distance. 

Then chill at my moms apartment. Do not want to bring covid with me. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,722
    I hope you have a great visit, E. I'm glad you got a high functioning mask rather than a fashion accessory. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    edited December 2020

he'd be upset if by some miracle of being able to foretell our current population at any given moment trudeau got the exact number we needed. 

best to just move on and don't bother asking questions. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

Conservatives here were raging that he didn't get enough, now they are raging that he got too much. Even though it has been explicitly stated that we will be giving to less fortunate countries.

Turns out conservatives in Canada share many characteristics as conservatives in the US. One of them being no shame.
    And more on that theme - conservatives last week were irate that Canada wouldn't receive vaccine until the first quarter of 2021, complaining that government incompetency meant we were destined to be one of the "have not" countries. Now that the process of review and approval  has gone smoother than expected and vaccine is expected to arrive next week, the conservatives are screaming that the federal government "lied" to the public about the timeline so "how can the public trust them on anything?". Getting your digs in supersedes being pleased about a positive outcome for the country. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

And more on that theme - conservatives last week were irate that Canada wouldn't receive vaccine until the first quarter of 2021, complaining that government incompetency meant we were destined to be one of the "have not" countries. Now that the process of review and approval  has gone smoother than expected and vaccine is expected to arrive next week, the conservatives are screaming that the federal government "lied" to the public about the timeline so "how can the public trust them on anything?". Getting your digs in supersedes being pleased about a positive outcome for the country. 
    advice: don't follow Theo Fleury on twitter. he's the Aubrey Huff of Canadian social media athlete politics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,548
    edited December 2020

It's wild how hypocrisy has become such a virtue for conservatives.

I legit don't understand how some people look themselves in the mirror.
  • Options
    dignin said:

advice: don't follow Theo Fleury on twitter. he's the Aubrey Huff of Canadian social media athlete politics. 

advice: don't assume anyone else is on twitter.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Unfollowing AOC and Obama now!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    As with many places, COVID is running rampant here in California.   Being only a about an hour and 25 minutes away, having been there many times, this is very strange/sad to be reading.  The skiing resorts are already having a tough time due to low snow totals so far this year (also impacting wildlife and water) and just as we are looking at getting some weather this weekend, a lot of it will shut down.  Ans the virus as well as the Proud Boys bullshit is hurting businesses in town.  Time to buckle up.

Lake Tahoe to shut down to tourists as California Covid deaths reach new high

California’s Lake Tahoe is temporarily shutting down to outside tourists, the latest economic blow as a deadly surge in coronavirus cases is forcing millions in America’s most populous state back under lockdown restrictions.

The news comes as California saw its deadliest day of the pandemic so far, according to a count by the Los Angeles Times, with more than 219 deaths from the virus recorded on Tuesday.

Large swaths of California went back under the strict lockdown rules over the weekend, with restaurants forced to halt outdoor dining, personal care businesses ordered to close and stores operating at reduced capacity. Residents are asked to stay home except for essential activities, and hotels are barred from accepting most out-of-state guests.

On Tuesday, the greater Sacramento region, which comprises the Lake Tahoe area, joined the group of counties under lockdown because capacity in hospital intensive care units has fallen below 15%.

Officials in the famed lake ski and resort area are urging people to stay away.

Chris Fiore, the communications manager for the city of South Lake Tahoe, said that while ski resorts are permitted to stay open under the order, which exempts outdoor recreation, lodging will be closed except for essential workers and Covid-19 containment measures, such as treatment or housing for homeless people.

“If you are in an area that’s under a stay-at-home order, stay at home,” Fiore said. “We want everyone back to Tahoe as soon as it’s safe but everyone realizes we are stronger together, and safer apart right now.

“The bottom line is, personal responsibility matters,” he added. “We all need to do our part, stay home and stay safe over the next three weeks and see if we can get Tahoe back to looking the way it is supposed to in the winter time.”

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignin said:

If it makes you happy. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

I don't. it was meant in jest. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,280
    dignin said:

If it makes you happy. 
    ...then why the hell are you so sad...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tish said:
    I hope you have a great visit, E. I'm glad you got a high functioning mask rather than a fashion accessory. 
    Thank you T :) Yes. Does not have one for the cat though. Hopefully she won't be a superspreader. :)
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,573

Take a look at how many claim to be "pro-life" yet they support the death penalty.
    See AG Barr
  • Options

Take a look at how many claim to be "pro-life" yet they support the death penalty.
    See AG Barr
    and by firing squad no less. 

#thirdworldcountry
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tish said:
    Thank you T :) Yes. Does not have one for the cat though. Hopefully she won't be a superspreader. :)
    It’s an option. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

Advice; get better jokes 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,207
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

If it makes you happy. 
    ...then why the hell are you so sad...
    I see what you did there.

• Options
    dignin said:

Advice; get better jokes 
    in jest as in not serious, not necessarily trying to make people laugh. 

not sure what your problem is today, but hope your day gets better. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.