Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

The coronavirus

1422423425427428

Comments

  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 11,540
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    PJNB said:
    I think its obvious kids can spread the virus therefore schools can be mega spreaders especially the schools that do not have strong guidelines in place to restrict the spread. I would be surprised if one person on this site would disagree with that statement.


    With regards to community sports I think practices and drills should be allowed still. We can tailor certain activities towards the kids to allow them to stay active as well as do it in a safe manner. 
    That's the biggest risk period.  Locker rooms, shared equipment, heavy breathing...forget about it.  I'm sick of hearing about the "mental health" and how much kids are suffering and missing out on...wars, famine, depression, other pandemics...
    We are so spoiled, as a civilization, that we can't tell the difference anymore between what's ideal and what's necessary.  It's pathetic.
    Sorry, not sorry, quit your whining and bitching, grow a pair, and realize it's all privilege, not necessity.  
    There are no locker rooms. You come prepared to play and with a mask on and no contact allowed with other players. Who shares equipment that could spread coronavirus? What sports are we talking about here? Hey bud can I borrow your mouthguard I forgot mine! 

    You need to chill out with your whining and bitching comments too. Learn to have a discussion with someone that has a difference of opinion than you with out the emotions then maybe we can continue to have an adult conversation here. 
    Lol.  Basketball 🏀 and volleyball  (they share the ball).  Hockey 🥅 is a contact sport as is football...

    In Canada those are 3 of the most popular sports that students play in winter...give us a solution.  There are none.

    you sounds like our useless PM.  You can’t have your cake and eat it as well.  This virus is going no where.  North America has no leadership anymore...

    5 million people have entered Canada since this pandemic started with no order to quarantine.
     
    And you expect these same politicians to allow sports go ahead safely.  It will not happen.
     

    Well, about 5 million entries, not 5 million different people. The vast majority of those are essential workers like cross border health care workers, truck drivers, air crews and the like, the same people going back and forth. I don't see any alternative to letting truckers come in with goods, honestly, and there's no way that we'd get any deliveries if the drivers had to quarantine for 14 days every time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJNBPJNB New BrunswickPosts: 7,761
    edited November 21
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    PJNB said:
    I think its obvious kids can spread the virus therefore schools can be mega spreaders especially the schools that do not have strong guidelines in place to restrict the spread. I would be surprised if one person on this site would disagree with that statement.


    With regards to community sports I think practices and drills should be allowed still. We can tailor certain activities towards the kids to allow them to stay active as well as do it in a safe manner. 
    That's the biggest risk period.  Locker rooms, shared equipment, heavy breathing...forget about it.  I'm sick of hearing about the "mental health" and how much kids are suffering and missing out on...wars, famine, depression, other pandemics...
    We are so spoiled, as a civilization, that we can't tell the difference anymore between what's ideal and what's necessary.  It's pathetic.
    Sorry, not sorry, quit your whining and bitching, grow a pair, and realize it's all privilege, not necessity.  
    There are no locker rooms. You come prepared to play and with a mask on and no contact allowed with other players. Who shares equipment that could spread coronavirus? What sports are we talking about here? Hey bud can I borrow your mouthguard I forgot mine! 

    You need to chill out with your whining and bitching comments too. Learn to have a discussion with someone that has a difference of opinion than you with out the emotions then maybe we can continue to have an adult conversation here. 
    Lol.  Basketball 🏀 and volleyball  (they share the ball).  Hockey 🥅 is a contact sport as is football...

    In Canada those are 3 of the most popular sports that students play in winter...give us a solution.  There are none.

    you sounds like our useless PM.  You can’t have your cake and eat it as well.  This virus is going no where.  North America has no leadership anymore...

    5 million people have entered Canada since this pandemic started with no order to quarantine.
     
    And you expect these same politicians to allow sports go ahead safely.  It will not happen.
     

    Solutions:
    -In basketball, players must  sanitize the ball before passing to another player.
    -No sucking on the hockey puck.
    -In baseball, all players must wear gloves on both hands.
    -Same in football for anyone handling the ball.  Kickers must wear shoes. 
    But sucking on the hockey puck is a tradition up here! 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2
    2016 Quebec, Toronto 2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 2
    2018 Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Seattle 2, Wrigley 2, Fenway 1&2 

    EV
    2017 Firenze, Taormina 1 & 2
  • Cant these things stop for  a while  to slow it all down? whats the real harm honestly if you have to call off some  pastimes?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

    this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    edited November 21
    mcgruff10 said:
    Except for the ball/puck kids don’t share equipment.  My son participated in fall baseball and it went off without a hitch.   Now something like wrestling or ice hockey is definitely cause for concern.  But yes, kids absolutely need sports and to many it is a necessity because it is such a big part of their life.  I just passed a varsity football game in town, limited to 150 fans on each side, temp checks, change the football every so many downs.  Again is their risk, absolutely but I don’t feel sports should be shut down.  
    And again it comes down to personal choice.  You don’t want your kid participating in sports then keep them out.  You don’t want to go eat indoors then don’t go.  To each their own.  
    I will be sure to send a memo to the starving kids in Darfur and the migrants on sinking boats in the Mediterranean that they NEED to get some sports going, right away.  

    With statements like this second one, you don't show an appreciation or understanding of virology, how a pandemic works, or even really how a society functions.
    This is literally exactly, verbatim, what the dumbest, craziest, Michigan State House protesting Trumpers say every day.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 24,057
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Except for the ball/puck kids don’t share equipment.  My son participated in fall baseball and it went off without a hitch.   Now something like wrestling or ice hockey is definitely cause for concern.  But yes, kids absolutely need sports and to many it is a necessity because it is such a big part of their life.  I just passed a varsity football game in town, limited to 150 fans on each side, temp checks, change the football every so many downs.  Again is their risk, absolutely but I don’t feel sports should be shut down.  
    And again it comes down to personal choice.  You don’t want your kid participating in sports then keep them out.  You don’t want to go eat indoors then don’t go.  To each their own.  
    I will be sure to send a memo to the starving kids in Darfur and the migrants on sinking boats in the Mediterranean that they NEED to get some sports going, right away.  

    With statements like this, you don't seem to understand virology, how a pandemic works, or even really how a society functions.
    This is literally exactly, verbatim, what the dumbest, craziest, Michigan State House protesting Trumpers say every day.
    Holy dramatic.  You need to settle the hell down. I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but it wasn’t me so no need to throw personal insults.  Go take a run or something and learn to have a discussion like an adult. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Except for the ball/puck kids don’t share equipment.  My son participated in fall baseball and it went off without a hitch.   Now something like wrestling or ice hockey is definitely cause for concern.  But yes, kids absolutely need sports and to many it is a necessity because it is such a big part of their life.  I just passed a varsity football game in town, limited to 150 fans on each side, temp checks, change the football every so many downs.  Again is their risk, absolutely but I don’t feel sports should be shut down.  
    And again it comes down to personal choice.  You don’t want your kid participating in sports then keep them out.  You don’t want to go eat indoors then don’t go.  To each their own.  
    I will be sure to send a memo to the starving kids in Darfur and the migrants on sinking boats in the Mediterranean that they NEED to get some sports going, right away.  

    With statements like this, you don't seem to understand virology, how a pandemic works, or even really how a society functions.
    This is literally exactly, verbatim, what the dumbest, craziest, Michigan State House protesting Trumpers say every day.
    Holy dramatic.  You need to settle the hell down. I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but it wasn’t me so no need to throw personal insults.  Go take a run or something and learn to have a discussion like an adult. 
    People are dying.  Hospitals are foundering.  The whole system is on the verge of tipping into an unprecedented disaster. 
    It's the adults in the room that are facing the hard choices, not prevaricating and mincing.  

    Sports are not a necessity, period.  The very definition of the word precludes it.  
    The second bolded portion is literally what I see on Facebook every day, and I mean literally in the true sense, from the worst of the worst.  It is a statement that completely ignores the nature of pandemic spread and how it jumps from people who don't take precautions to people who take every precaution they can.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJNBPJNB New BrunswickPosts: 7,761
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Except for the ball/puck kids don’t share equipment.  My son participated in fall baseball and it went off without a hitch.   Now something like wrestling or ice hockey is definitely cause for concern.  But yes, kids absolutely need sports and to many it is a necessity because it is such a big part of their life.  I just passed a varsity football game in town, limited to 150 fans on each side, temp checks, change the football every so many downs.  Again is their risk, absolutely but I don’t feel sports should be shut down.  
    And again it comes down to personal choice.  You don’t want your kid participating in sports then keep them out.  You don’t want to go eat indoors then don’t go.  To each their own.  
    I will be sure to send a memo to the starving kids in Darfur and the migrants on sinking boats in the Mediterranean that they NEED to get some sports going, right away.  

    With statements like this, you don't seem to understand virology, how a pandemic works, or even really how a society functions.
    This is literally exactly, verbatim, what the dumbest, craziest, Michigan State House protesting Trumpers say every day.
    Holy dramatic.  You need to settle the hell down. I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but it wasn’t me so no need to throw personal insults.  Go take a run or something and learn to have a discussion like an adult. 
    People are dying.  Hospitals are foundering.  The whole system is on the verge of tipping into an unprecedented disaster. 
    It's the adults in the room that are facing the hard choices, not prevaricating and mincing.  

    Sports are not a necessity, period.  The very definition of the word precludes it.  
    The second bolded portion is literally what I see on Facebook every day, and I mean literally in the true sense, from the worst of the worst.  It is a statement that completely ignores the nature of pandemic spread and how it jumps from people who don't take precautions to people who take every precaution they can.
    You are acting like he is saying that things should be normal in the sports world like the trumpsters are though. To compare to that measure is inaccurate and a huge insult and you know it. No we do not need sports. We do not need a lot of things. If we can do them safely however the benefit greatly outweighs the risks imo. We are going to be 1 year into this in a couple of months. We know a lot more now than we did back then. I was for the shutting down of everything back then. Now if we can do things that have been proven safe we should be able to do them period. 
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2
    2016 Quebec, Toronto 2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 2
    2018 Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Seattle 2, Wrigley 2, Fenway 1&2 

    EV
    2017 Firenze, Taormina 1 & 2
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Except for the ball/puck kids don’t share equipment.  My son participated in fall baseball and it went off without a hitch.   Now something like wrestling or ice hockey is definitely cause for concern.  But yes, kids absolutely need sports and to many it is a necessity because it is such a big part of their life.  I just passed a varsity football game in town, limited to 150 fans on each side, temp checks, change the football every so many downs.  Again is their risk, absolutely but I don’t feel sports should be shut down.  
    And again it comes down to personal choice.  You don’t want your kid participating in sports then keep them out.  You don’t want to go eat indoors then don’t go.  To each their own.  
    I will be sure to send a memo to the starving kids in Darfur and the migrants on sinking boats in the Mediterranean that they NEED to get some sports going, right away.  

    With statements like this, you don't seem to understand virology, how a pandemic works, or even really how a society functions.
    This is literally exactly, verbatim, what the dumbest, craziest, Michigan State House protesting Trumpers say every day.
    Holy dramatic.  You need to settle the hell down. I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but it wasn’t me so no need to throw personal insults.  Go take a run or something and learn to have a discussion like an adult. 
    People are dying.  Hospitals are foundering.  The whole system is on the verge of tipping into an unprecedented disaster. 
    It's the adults in the room that are facing the hard choices, not prevaricating and mincing.  

    Sports are not a necessity, period.  The very definition of the word precludes it.  
    The second bolded portion is literally what I see on Facebook every day, and I mean literally in the true sense, from the worst of the worst.  It is a statement that completely ignores the nature of pandemic spread and how it jumps from people who don't take precautions to people who take every precaution they can.
    You are acting like he is saying that things should be normal in the sports world like the trumpsters are though. To compare to that measure is inaccurate and a huge insult and you know it. No we do not need sports. We do not need a lot of things. If we can do them safely however the benefit greatly outweighs the risks imo. We are going to be 1 year into this in a couple of months. We know a lot more now than we did back then. I was for the shutting down of everything back then. Now if we can do things that have been proven safe we should be able to do them period. 
    The problem is that the things in question have not been proven safe, they absolutely have not been proven safe.  Anecdotal data from seriously biased sources is the only backing.  
    Necessity should be the first concern, not safety.  If it isn't necessary, the safety is irrelevant, it needs to be tossed.  That's the only way to truly prioritize and create safety for the things that ARE necessity.  
    It's an insult to front line health workers to put them at increased risk of contracting coronavirus because some people think life just can't go on without 7th grade basketball.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 24,057
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Dude I get it.  We had 4,679 positive cases reported today.  Nj has been in the crosshairs since March and from that experience I think we have learned how to safely live life as safely as possible.  Our Governor really has done a great job so when I see it working here in the most densely populated state I truly believe it could work in other areas of the country. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Dude I get it.  We had 4,679 positive cases reported today.  Nj has been in the crosshairs since March and from that experience I think we have learned how to safely live life as safely as possible.  Our Governor really has done a great job so when I see it working here in the most densely populated state I truly believe it could work in other areas of the country. 
    Well, we had 8,800 yesterday, and it's because of people who use the se arguments and justifications as you...now, the fact is, most of them are half as smart and half half as much class as you, so they botch it up in all the ways that you don't.  But it's still super frustrating that the arguments that leave the doors open for things like sports and congregating leave the doors open not just for you, but for the (literal) toothless moron that walks in behind you as well.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,760
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    PJNB said:
    I think its obvious kids can spread the virus therefore schools can be mega spreaders especially the schools that do not have strong guidelines in place to restrict the spread. I would be surprised if one person on this site would disagree with that statement.


    With regards to community sports I think practices and drills should be allowed still. We can tailor certain activities towards the kids to allow them to stay active as well as do it in a safe manner. 
    That's the biggest risk period.  Locker rooms, shared equipment, heavy breathing...forget about it.  I'm sick of hearing about the "mental health" and how much kids are suffering and missing out on...wars, famine, depression, other pandemics...
    We are so spoiled, as a civilization, that we can't tell the difference anymore between what's ideal and what's necessary.  It's pathetic.
    Sorry, not sorry, quit your whining and bitching, grow a pair, and realize it's all privilege, not necessity.  
    There are no locker rooms. You come prepared to play and with a mask on and no contact allowed with other players. Who shares equipment that could spread coronavirus? What sports are we talking about here? Hey bud can I borrow your mouthguard I forgot mine! 

    You need to chill out with your whining and bitching comments too. Learn to have a discussion with someone that has a difference of opinion than you with out the emotions then maybe we can continue to have an adult conversation here. 
    Lol.  Basketball 🏀 and volleyball  (they share the ball).  Hockey 🥅 is a contact sport as is football...

    In Canada those are 3 of the most popular sports that students play in winter...give us a solution.  There are none.

    you sounds like our useless PM.  You can’t have your cake and eat it as well.  This virus is going no where.  North America has no leadership anymore...

    5 million people have entered Canada since this pandemic started with no order to quarantine.
     
    And you expect these same politicians to allow sports go ahead safely.  It will not happen.
     

    Solutions:
    -In basketball, players must  sanitize the ball before passing to another player.
    -No sucking on the hockey puck.
    -In baseball, all players must wear gloves on both hands.
    -Same in football for anyone handling the ball.  Kickers must wear shoes. 
    But sucking on the hockey puck is a tradition up here! 

    :lol:
    Tastes like licorice, right?
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen










  • rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Mental health is very serious for some teens. The physical aspect of sport is crucial to some. Some of these kids have played sport as their outlet for their entire life. Shutting it completely off is damaging their mental health in ways we’ve never seen. Is it as deadly as starving kids in far away lands, no. But to say it’s a pointless and unnecessary thing for kids is far from the truth.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 14,508
    rgambs said:
    Sorry, but you guys are believing what you want to believe.  
    Yeah specific data on specific schools where you are pretending to know everything based off of what exactly?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    rgambs said:
    Sorry, but you guys are believing what you want to believe.  
    Yeah specific data on specific schools where you are pretending to know everything based off of what exactly?
     Based off a different definition for what constitutes "data" lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 14,508
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was definitely nervous about going into work in September but I got used to it and now when I go in I know what I need to do to be safe.  Like anything else in life there is definitely risk but the lack of cases in our district (and we have a huge ass district) shows we are doing something right.  
    I don't get why people are upset that so far your district has been a success. That somehow it's dangerous or a belief. 

    It's a head scratcher.

    Personally, I'm very happy for you gruff.
    Me too.

    and I don’t get all these leaps. I’m just happy the the thought and protocols in my local schools is doing a damn good job. I’m proud of the people in the school system and the kids in class. I was concerned. I think the high school is not as good as the Middle school. And I can’t believe some of the extra curricular activities continue to happen.

    im also very happy that the protocols I put in place at my work place have given us a good shot at minimizing impact. I don’t think anything is free of risk. But I’m happy that some basic, easy thing really do seem to help a great deal if adhered to. 

    Seeing the neighborhood parties and crap pisses me the hell off and puts all the other things at risk. But the protocols when implement (and you have the $ for barriers, etc), certainly help reduce risk. 

    I’m not sure why schools and workplace doing well seems to piss off some people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 14,508
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Sorry, but you guys are believing what you want to believe.  
    Yeah specific data on specific schools where you are pretending to know everything based off of what exactly?
     Based off a different definition for what constitutes "data" lol
    I get data directly from the school every week...you think they are lying or hiding things.

    I get data at work daily. You must think that they are lying too.

    yes you are basing your belief on my school system and workplace off of NO data. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I’m gonna try to make you all laugh for a minute...so I’m on another site discussing the virus with a trumpster who won’t wear a mask...so I questioned if he should be permitted medical attention if he gets covid being that he believes it’s fake.  Here is is pleasant response,

     “this one's for you Cee You Next Tuesday anywhere you want, YOU DIRTY, SLUTYY C3?T

    Hope you found this amusing because I did. They are soooo mad right now! 

    Oh well carry on and please be nice to each other! 

  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Sorry, but you guys are believing what you want to believe.  
    Yeah specific data on specific schools where you are pretending to know everything based off of what exactly?
     Based off a different definition for what constitutes "data" lol
    I get data directly from the school every week...you think they are lying or hiding things.

    I get data at work daily. You must think that they are lying too.

    yes you are basing your belief on my school system and workplace off of NO data. 
    I don't think they are liars, I don't think they have bad intentions.  I do think they are eager to believe that things are going well, but that's not the problem.  The problem is that the "data" they rely on is all based off self-reporting and trusting the veracity of the information gathered in contact tracing.  Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely something that has to be done, and it's the best option at our disposal right now, but it's ridiculously fraught with problems.  I personally know of people who have given their kids fever reducers and sent their kids to to school sick.  Families will illnesses that are hidden as best as possible is a regular occurrence.  The overt spread is only being tracked by the people conscientious or ill enough to get tests and self-report illness.  It's just not an effective enough system to justify the confidence people are having.  Again, i'm not saying that everyone should be remote because the risk never outweighs the benefit, but we shouldn't be pretending to certainty on the level of risk when we don't have truly reliable data.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 5,521
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Mental health is very serious for some teens. The physical aspect of sport is crucial to some. Some of these kids have played sport as their outlet for their entire life. Shutting it completely off is damaging their mental health in ways we’ve never seen. Is it as deadly as starving kids in far away lands, no. But to say it’s a pointless and unnecessary thing for kids is far from the truth.

    Agree whole-heartedly with this post.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 3,894
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Sorry, but you guys are believing what you want to believe.  
    Yeah specific data on specific schools where you are pretending to know everything based off of what exactly?
     Based off a different definition for what constitutes "data" lol
    I get data directly from the school every week...you think they are lying or hiding things.

    I get data at work daily. You must think that they are lying too.

    yes you are basing your belief on my school system and workplace off of NO data. 
    I don't think they are liars, I don't think they have bad intentions.  I do think they are eager to believe that things are going well, but that's not the problem.  The problem is that the "data" they rely on is all based off self-reporting and trusting the veracity of the information gathered in contact tracing.  Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely something that has to be done, and it's the best option at our disposal right now, but it's ridiculously fraught with problems.  I personally know of people who have given their kids fever reducers and sent their kids to to school sick.  Families will illnesses that are hidden as best as possible is a regular occurrence.  The overt spread is only being tracked by the people conscientious or ill enough to get tests and self-report illness.  It's just not an effective enough system to justify the confidence people are having.  Again, i'm not saying that everyone should be remote because the risk never outweighs the benefit, but we shouldn't be pretending to certainty on the level of risk when we don't have truly reliable data.

    Cuomo is claiming NY schools are a safe zone for kids. But, we know kids do not test covid positive at the same rates adults do. I give deblasio credit for standing up to cuomo and closing NYC schools.

    I’d love to see the infection rates by school districts for the parents of school kids. There is a ton of COVID misinformation going around, from both sides of the political aisle.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 24,057
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Mental health is very serious for some teens. The physical aspect of sport is crucial to some. Some of these kids have played sport as their outlet for their entire life. Shutting it completely off is damaging their mental health in ways we’ve never seen. Is it as deadly as starving kids in far away lands, no. But to say it’s a pointless and unnecessary thing for kids is far from the truth.

    Agree whole-heartedly with this post.
    +1
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,760
    I’m gonna try to make you all laugh for a minute...so I’m on another site discussing the virus with a trumpster who won’t wear a mask...so I questioned if he should be permitted medical attention if he gets covid being that he believes it’s fake.  Here is is pleasant response,

     “this one's for you Cee You Next Tuesday anywhere you want, YOU DIRTY, SLUTYY C3?T

    Hope you found this amusing because I did. They are soooo mad right now! 

    Oh well carry on and please be nice to each other! 


    Don't you just love how that avoid answering the actual question you asked?  Crazy!
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen










  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 22,744
    edited November 21
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Mental health is very serious for some teens. The physical aspect of sport is crucial to some. Some of these kids have played sport as their outlet for their entire life. Shutting it completely off is damaging their mental health in ways we’ve never seen. Is it as deadly as starving kids in far away lands, no. But to say it’s a pointless and unnecessary thing for kids is far from the truth.
    Well, couldn't they run or play tennis or do something out in the open that isn't as contact-y.

    For a while.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,282
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Mental health is very serious for some teens. The physical aspect of sport is crucial to some. Some of these kids have played sport as their outlet for their entire life. Shutting it completely off is damaging their mental health in ways we’ve never seen. Is it as deadly as starving kids in far away lands, no. But to say it’s a pointless and unnecessary thing for kids is far from the truth.
    Well, couldn't they run or play tennis or do something out in the open that isn't as contact-y.

    For a while.
    No, because it's not at all about the exercise for mental health, it's about the interaction and the recognition and all that stuff.  
    Look, I'm already the asshole here, so I might as well lean in. 
    This stuff about teen mental health and sports is just about horseshit!  It's a buzzword.  It's a catch phrase.  It's an excuse because teens and their parents (maybe them even more) don't want to make sacrifices to the things they enjoy.  In the last pandemic of this scale, teens were marching off to war in foreign lands, and stepping up to run their family farms and businesses when their families were dropping like flies.  If we aren't willing to make small sacrifices like skipping sports games, we are going to be FORCED into much larger ones!


    Also, and this is really another discussion altogether, if we really want to be concerned with youth mental health we need to start by changing access to and interaction with social media and phone use.  

    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 22,294
    You're such an asshole, gambs :lol:

    I can truly see the benefits of physical activity for the young; hell, I know what it's done for me as an adult - both physically and mentally.  For a kid?  That release may be crucial.  I won't address recognition and shit like that. One, it can come from oneself, and second, if it doesn't happen during sports, there are other avenues in which they can shine (to others).

    That said, the point you make above is an extremely valid and important one to me.

    I wish there were a middle ground, but it seems like so much lately is either/or....
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Mental health is very serious for some teens. The physical aspect of sport is crucial to some. Some of these kids have played sport as their outlet for their entire life. Shutting it completely off is damaging their mental health in ways we’ve never seen. Is it as deadly as starving kids in far away lands, no. But to say it’s a pointless and unnecessary thing for kids is far from the truth.
    Well, couldn't they run or play tennis or do something out in the open that isn't as contact-y.

    For a while.
    No, because it's not at all about the exercise for mental health, it's about the interaction and the recognition and all that stuff.  
    Look, I'm already the asshole here, so I might as well lean in. 
    This stuff about teen mental health and sports is just about horseshit!  It's a buzzword.  It's a catch phrase.  It's an excuse because teens and their parents (maybe them even more) don't want to make sacrifices to the things they enjoy.  In the last pandemic of this scale, teens were marching off to war in foreign lands, and stepping up to run their family farms and businesses when their families were dropping like flies.  If we aren't willing to make small sacrifices like skipping sports games, we are going to be FORCED into much larger ones!


    Also, and this is really another discussion altogether, if we really want to be concerned with youth mental health we need to start by changing access to and interaction with social media and phone use.  

    As a father of a 14 year old and a 20 year old I can tell you with 100% certainty you are wrong. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 7,853
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    PJNB said:
    I think its obvious kids can spread the virus therefore schools can be mega spreaders especially the schools that do not have strong guidelines in place to restrict the spread. I would be surprised if one person on this site would disagree with that statement.


    With regards to community sports I think practices and drills should be allowed still. We can tailor certain activities towards the kids to allow them to stay active as well as do it in a safe manner. 
    That's the biggest risk period.  Locker rooms, shared equipment, heavy breathing...forget about it.  I'm sick of hearing about the "mental health" and how much kids are suffering and missing out on...wars, famine, depression, other pandemics...
    We are so spoiled, as a civilization, that we can't tell the difference anymore between what's ideal and what's necessary.  It's pathetic.
    Sorry, not sorry, quit your whining and bitching, grow a pair, and realize it's all privilege, not necessity.  
    There are no locker rooms. You come prepared to play and with a mask on and no contact allowed with other players. Who shares equipment that could spread coronavirus? What sports are we talking about here? Hey bud can I borrow your mouthguard I forgot mine! 

    You need to chill out with your whining and bitching comments too. Learn to have a discussion with someone that has a difference of opinion than you with out the emotions then maybe we can continue to have an adult conversation here. 
    Lol.  Basketball 🏀 and volleyball  (they share the ball).  Hockey 🥅 is a contact sport as is football...

    In Canada those are 3 of the most popular sports that students play in winter...give us a solution.  There are none.

    you sounds like our useless PM.  You can’t have your cake and eat it as well.  This virus is going no where.  North America has no leadership anymore...

    5 million people have entered Canada since this pandemic started with no order to quarantine.
     
    And you expect these same politicians to allow sports go ahead safely.  It will not happen.
     

    Well, about 5 million entries, not 5 million different people. The vast majority of those are essential workers like cross border health care workers, truck drivers, air crews and the like, the same people going back and forth. I don't see any alternative to letting truckers come in with goods, honestly, and there's no way that we'd get any deliveries if the drivers had to quarantine for 14 days every time. 
    The hospitals in the US could have put the nurses up in hotels.  The nurses who wanted to be home could have been hired to work in Canada...our hospitals need extra help.  I am surrounded by greenhouses...we grow more than enough food to feed Canadians.  They could have come up with what is absolutely essential to us in Canada...and put stringent rules in place.  The auto industry has always been willing to co-operate, so has unifor...but the fools in government do not sit down and discuss the best way going forward...but there are plenty of ways to transport goods.  Trucks from the US could drop their loads just inside the Canadian border, head back home, and a Canadian driver could deliver the load the rest of the way...and vice versa.  There are solutions...


    How many international flights a day land in Vancouver, meanwhile the BC premier wants a travel ban across Canada...

    Shuttering small businesses and allowing the big box stores to remain open is pure stupidity. Any small business I have visited is far safer than big box stores that have been lining their pockets since this pandemic started...and most of these big box stores are American companies...so who do these politicians work for...Canadians or US corporations?  

    You will never convince me that we have done enough... 

     I am shocked at how little support is being offered to people losing their jobs in Toronto, Peel, and Manitoba...jeesh we are ma wealthy country, people need to be supported, and it should be a 50/50 split between the feds and the provinces (should have been that way from the start) where people are losing their jobs...and the cerb should be tax-free.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 21,382
    Getting hot in here!

    I don't think kids need to be playing sports where they are in close contact, right now.
    I do believe in athletics being an excellent thing for people of all ages, and certainly for kids/teens.

    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 11,540
    edited November 21
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    PJNB said:
    I think its obvious kids can spread the virus therefore schools can be mega spreaders especially the schools that do not have strong guidelines in place to restrict the spread. I would be surprised if one person on this site would disagree with that statement.


    With regards to community sports I think practices and drills should be allowed still. We can tailor certain activities towards the kids to allow them to stay active as well as do it in a safe manner. 
    That's the biggest risk period.  Locker rooms, shared equipment, heavy breathing...forget about it.  I'm sick of hearing about the "mental health" and how much kids are suffering and missing out on...wars, famine, depression, other pandemics...
    We are so spoiled, as a civilization, that we can't tell the difference anymore between what's ideal and what's necessary.  It's pathetic.
    Sorry, not sorry, quit your whining and bitching, grow a pair, and realize it's all privilege, not necessity.  
    There are no locker rooms. You come prepared to play and with a mask on and no contact allowed with other players. Who shares equipment that could spread coronavirus? What sports are we talking about here? Hey bud can I borrow your mouthguard I forgot mine! 

    You need to chill out with your whining and bitching comments too. Learn to have a discussion with someone that has a difference of opinion than you with out the emotions then maybe we can continue to have an adult conversation here. 
    Lol.  Basketball 🏀 and volleyball  (they share the ball).  Hockey 🥅 is a contact sport as is football...

    In Canada those are 3 of the most popular sports that students play in winter...give us a solution.  There are none.

    you sounds like our useless PM.  You can’t have your cake and eat it as well.  This virus is going no where.  North America has no leadership anymore...

    5 million people have entered Canada since this pandemic started with no order to quarantine.
     
    And you expect these same politicians to allow sports go ahead safely.  It will not happen.
     

    Well, about 5 million entries, not 5 million different people. The vast majority of those are essential workers like cross border health care workers, truck drivers, air crews and the like, the same people going back and forth. I don't see any alternative to letting truckers come in with goods, honestly, and there's no way that we'd get any deliveries if the drivers had to quarantine for 14 days every time. 
    The hospitals in the US could have put the nurses up in hotels.  The nurses who wanted to be home could have been hired to work in Canada...our hospitals need extra help.  I am surrounded by greenhouses...we grow more than enough food to feed Canadians.  They could have come up with what is absolutely essential to us in Canada...and put stringent rules in place.  The auto industry has always been willing to co-operate, so has unifor...but the fools in government do not sit down and discuss the best way going forward...but there are plenty of ways to transport goods.  Trucks from the US could drop their loads just inside the Canadian border, head back home, and a Canadian driver could deliver the load the rest of the way...and vice versa.  There are solutions...


    How many international flights a day land in Vancouver, meanwhile the BC premier wants a travel ban across Canada...

    Shuttering small businesses and allowing the big box stores to remain open is pure stupidity. Any small business I have visited is far safer than big box stores that have been lining their pockets since this pandemic started...and most of these big box stores are American companies...so who do these politicians work for...Canadians or US corporations?  

    You will never convince me that we have done enough... 

     I am shocked at how little support is being offered to people losing their jobs in Toronto, Peel, and Manitoba...jeesh we are ma wealthy country, people need to be supported, and it should be a 50/50 split between the feds and the provinces (should have been that way from the start) where people are losing their jobs...and the cerb should be tax-free.
    I am not trying to convince you we have done enough. My post said nothing of the sort. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
Sign In or Register to comment.