Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The fuck is this? All about the Dodgers. As a reporter, why not also ask why they’re even bothering to have masks with them? Most people just don’t give a shit. And California’s going to follow our dumbass governor’s “guidelines”?

Right. 

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    There are three kinds of people:
    • Those who essentially do their part to protect themselves and others
    • Those who follow (to an extent) the rules primarily out of politeness but either don't understand or don't truly care how the masks and/or distancing works.
    • Those that are openly hostile.
    I think the second bullet is probably the majority.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Well this is a happy little bit:
    https://www.livescience.com/young-scientists-wins-competition-coronavirus-drug.html
    “With the COVID-19 pandemic still raging, a 14-year-old from Texas has won a national science competition for identifying a molecule that can bind to the virus and potentially disable it.”

When I was 14, I wasn't identifying molecules...but I did figure out how to beat Mike Tyson in Nintendo's "Mike Tyson's Punch Out."

When I was 14 it was just called "Punch Out" at that time. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    mace1229 said:
    Just curious, does anyone who has to wear a mask all day at work have sinus issues? A lot of my coworkers and myself are getting sinus infections and sinus headaches and just sinus problems. Some of them are saying its wearing a mask for 6+ hours a day, I'm not sold on that idea yet though. But there's definitely a lot of sinus issues going on here.
    Zero issues I wear masks all day since last March same with every one else I work with..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    mace1229 said:
    Just curious, does anyone who has to wear a mask all day at work have sinus issues? A lot of my coworkers and myself are getting sinus infections and sinus headaches and just sinus problems. Some of them are saying its wearing a mask for 6+ hours a day, I'm not sold on that idea yet though. But there's definitely a lot of sinus issues going on here.
    Zero issues I wear masks all day since last March same with every one else I work with..
    I have regular allergy and sinus issues.  I've noticed less rather than more.  I wear masks all day, each work day (9+ hours) and outside of work as well.  Probably very similar to normal, and definitely not worse to this point.

I have noticed ear pain due to strings usually after about 8 hours wear.  And sometimes pain on nose bridge mainly as I try to keep it tight so I don;t fog safety glasses.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    PJPOWER said:
    https://www.livescience.com/young-scientists-wins-competition-coronavirus-drug.html
    “With the COVID-19 pandemic still raging, a 14-year-old from Texas has won a national science competition for identifying a molecule that can bind to the virus and potentially disable it.”

What an amazing young woman. Bravo. I really loved the final sentence in that article

"I describe myself as a person who aspires to be a lot of things," Chebrolu told KTVT.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    mace1229 said:
    i am not having any sinus issues and i wear a mask mon-fri for work and on the weekends whenever i am in public.

i am, however, developing some dermatitis underneath my eyes where the mask comes across my face. my doc said most likely due to wearing a mask every day. it is quite annoying.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited October 2020
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

When I was 14, I wasn't identifying molecules...but I did figure out how to beat Mike Tyson in Nintendo's "Mike Tyson's Punch Out."

No. It would have been called Punch-Out!!   :)

And I never beat Mike Tyson, and I wasn't home when my brothers did. Forever stuck at Macho Man since... 1992 or whenever.

But I was the best in the family at GoldenEye 64 at least.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

And I never beat Mike Tyson, and I wasn't home when my brothers did. Forever stuck at Macho Man since... 1992 or whenever.

Super Macho Man.  Was he the guy that was right before Tyson?  I only beat him once (which got me a code to fight Tyson, who I beat twice...why do I remember this?)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Super Macho Man.  Was he the guy that was right before Tyson?  I only beat him once (which got me a code to fight Tyson, who I beat twice...why do I remember this?)
    Yes! And I think Mike Tysons replacement was "Mr Dream" or something. Yes:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I didn't realize there was a post-Tyson version.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    They sold a revision after Mike Tyson got accused or jailed for rape. Or if it was something else Tyson did at that time. But I think it was the rape.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    They sold a revision after Mike Tyson got accused or jailed for rape. Or if it was something else Tyson did at that time. But I think it was the rape.

Probably...I guess I was checked out on Nintendo by then.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Ha, my puberty laden mind was in only one place when I was 14...
    This really is such an inspiring story, though.  Nice to get a reminder that there is hope in our young generations and that they aren’t all sitting around playing video games 24/7.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Former President Obama saying Sweden has a "herd immunity strategy"...

... thought he was the president of presidents... 

Doesn't seem to keep up.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    What is the strategy? Herd thinning?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    link?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Please tell me you still remember the code?
  • Options

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    to be fair, sweden did crap the bed by not mandating a shut down.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Please tell me you still remember the code?

Oddly enough, it's WWG1WGA.

(If I still remembered the code, I'd either be rich or institutionalized)
  • Options

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    Moot.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    sweden is better in every way, shape, and form. to say otherwise is to be a blasphemer. 

don't you know?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    PJPOWER said:

I saw her interviewed on TV the other day, and she came across as NO 14 year old.  Smart !!

Very Impressive !!. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    link?
    It's in the "pod save america" interview. I captured that moment, but deleted it sadly for some reason. Old phone. Little space on it. Need an iPhone 12 mini in red.

One "fun" thing he said though in the same interview, was that republicans are doing things in the US that not even far-right extreme parties are doing in Europe. Like undermining the election etc.

Not to sound like a russian agent. But found that interesting. Coming from a country where there is a given that the election is fair, and not something people no matter what political affiliation ever question. Like, I've never heard anyone question mail voting or that you have to show up early to get to vote because you will line up for 24 hours or not every citizen having a chance to vote or weird voter registration shit you have to fill in (?) or gerrymandering or whatever...  (it's not normal)

https://youtu.be/ok5-lN3Klyo
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    mace1229 said:
    I have regular allergy and sinus issues.  I've noticed less rather than more.  I wear masks all day, each work day (9+ hours) and outside of work as well.  Probably very similar to normal, and definitely not worse to this point.

I have noticed ear pain due to strings usually after about 8 hours wear.  And sometimes pain on nose bridge mainly as I try to keep it tight so I don;t fog safety glasses.
    Yeah that’s the annoying part of it, behind the ear pain and the fogging of my glasses damn bothersome!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    Moot.
    no, not moot. sweden's initial strategy was a failure resulting in high level of cases, same as trump's. own it.

• Options

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    sweden is better in every way, shape, and form. to say otherwise is to be a blasphemer. 

don't you know?
    i love sweden and i want to go there some day. but sweden mishandled covid just like everyone else. 

swedes should not be mad at americans for pointing it out. it is a human issue, and everyone failed at some point along the way. except for new zealand, they are now back to normal.

• Options
    edited October 2020

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    Moot.
    no, not moot. sweden's initial strategy was a failure resulting in high level of cases, same as trump's. own it.
    Ofc it's moot. How is it connected to my post ?

Please connect the "to be fair"-part of your post to mine?

Unless you know... your post was... moot
  • Options

Doesn't seem to keep up.
    Moot.
    Ofc it's moot. How is it connected to my post ?

Please connect the "to be fair"-part of your post to mine?

Unless you know... your post was... moot
    i am referring to this ENTIRE THREAD where you went on and on and on about how sweden had superior response. this has proven to not be the case.

i am just saying that when you come for obama, you had better have had a better response that sweden ended up having. you guys screwed it up too. at least i own the american failed response.

• Options
    Get ready for the Johan Giesecke is redeemed flashing gif. Or is it a meme?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.