Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Can't we just stop this pandemic by november?
    Haven’t you heard that covid is going to magically disappear right after Election Day?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    My office had been holding tight at officially being telework for those that can until Thanksgiving. I knew we'd get that into 2021.  Why bring people back during the Nov/Dec holidays right after they get together with family?  But I was suprised today to see that we're officially until at least June.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haven’t you heard that covid is going to magically disappear right after Election Day?
    Oh, shoot

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh, shoot

No silly the US election.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh, shoot

:lol:   Good one! ;)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    lol yeah right 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    These 2 paragraphs really stood out for me:

But Horwitz and Mateen say that factors outside of doctors' control are also playing a role in driving down mortality. Horwitz believes that mask-wearing may be helping by reducing the initial dose of virus a person receives, thereby lessening the overall severity of illness for many patients.

And Mateen says that his data strongly suggest that keeping hospitals below their maximum capacity also helps to increase survival rates. When cases surge and hospitals fill up, "staff are stretched, mistakes are made, it's no one's fault — it's that the system isn't built to operate near 100%," he says.

Thanks for posting.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

But Horwitz and Mateen say that factors outside of doctors' control are also playing a role in driving down mortality. Horwitz believes that mask-wearing may be helping by reducing the initial dose of virus a person receives, thereby lessening the overall severity of illness for many patients.

And Mateen says that his data strongly suggest that keeping hospitals below their maximum capacity also helps to increase survival rates. When cases surge and hospitals fill up, "staff are stretched, mistakes are made, it's no one's fault — it's that the system isn't built to operate near 100%," he says.

Thanks for posting.

i honestly didn't know that the "amount' of virus you contract would make a difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Thanks for posting.

i honestly didn't know that the "amount' of virus you contract would make a difference. 
    I remember reading about viral load in the early days of this. It was speculation at that time. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    hedonist said:
    Had another nasal swab earlier for an upcoming procedure.

Not sure why they had signs posted saying “No photos or videos allowed”. 

Sending good thoughts your way.  I hope it all goes well!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    Had another nasal swab earlier for an upcoming procedure.

Not sure why they had signs posted saying “No photos or videos allowed”. 

Sending good thoughts your way.  I hope it all goes well!
    Thanks. I’ve become one of the regulars at ol’ Cedars Sinai!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2020
    Well if any of you Americans need to bug out, hit me up with a DM. We could always tie the knot over the CB?

^and be well there little missy!
  • Options
    And England roll  around on the floor like a dog .
    like nothing  is happening . I seriously think  boris is unwell
    What is the main problem in England concerning this right now?
    People are defiant when really im in the  health before wealth group. 
    Also we are a country of people who think  they know best. Science  should be the only truth in this. Sadly its not.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

Thanks for posting.

Viral load is THE most important thing to know. It really is the difference between mild infection and severe disease. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30354-4/fulltext

CORRESPONDENCE| VOLUME 8, ISSUE 9E70, SEPTEMBER 01, 2020

SARS-CoV-2 viral load predicts COVID-19 mortality

• Options
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,880
    edited October 2020
    And England roll  around on the floor like a dog .
    like nothing  is happening . I seriously think  boris is unwell
    What is the main problem in England concerning this right now?
    People are defiant when really im in the  health before wealth group. 
    Also we are a country of people who think  they know best. Science  should be the only truth in this. Sadly its not.
    Social media has a responsibility  that it again neglects. 
    Our hospitals are filling and the deaths still going up each day .
    Plus we have some pathetic 3 tier scheme that makes as much sense as the last 4 slogans and buzz phrases such as.
    Hands.. space... face 
    I mean ffs this  Labrador of a p.m needs to quit. Not  fit to do his  job in any way .I just  saw that yesterday we recorded our highest  death  toll  since  march and over 21.000 cases in a day.
    We have failed and whats more its going to go to shit because of this  man.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 809
    https://youtu.be/WcF9sYVuutM

Holy hell if good old Uncle Chop Chop isn't slagging us the rest if the world must be green with envy (or coronavirus if that's a symptom).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086

Thanks for posting.

Really?  Interesting to see what info people are getting.

I've been thinking about this, based on what I've read, like noise exposure.  The amount and the time of exposure all matter and make it worse.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Thanks for posting.

Really?  Interesting to see what info people are getting.

I've been thinking about this, based on what I've read, like noise exposure.  The amount and the time of exposure all matter and make it worse.
    all of a sudden everyone's an epidemiologist. lol

no, i didn't know. I guess it's more that the thought didn't cross my mind. i thought the severity of the virus was qualitative not quantitative. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Just curious, does anyone who has to wear a mask all day at work have sinus issues? A lot of my coworkers and myself are getting sinus infections and sinus headaches and just sinus problems. Some of them are saying its wearing a mask for 6+ hours a day, I'm not sold on that idea yet though. But there's definitely a lot of sinus issues going on here.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Just curious, does anyone who has to wear a mask all day at work have sinus issues? A lot of my coworkers and myself are getting sinus infections and sinus headaches and just sinus problems. Some of them are saying its wearing a mask for 6+ hours a day, I'm not sold on that idea yet though. But there's definitely a lot of sinus issues going on here.
    I wear mine 8 hours a day. I have zero issues from the mask. Not heard any of my coworkers say they are having medical issues from it either. 200+ employees. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    mace1229 said:
    I wear mine 8 hours a day. I have zero issues from the mask. Not heard any of my coworkers say they are having medical issues from it either. 200+ employees. 
    I'm in a school. Kids still don't wash hands. The jar of hand sanitizer I've had on the counter for students since the first day of school is still completely full. Kids still want to touch everything. There's been something going around, I figured it was still just germy kids not washing hands rather than the mask.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    mace1229 said:
    I definitely feel slight pressure around my sinuses sometimes. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I know allergies have hit hard here right now and everyone is having sinus issues.  My wife’s were severe enough that she went in and got a COVID-19 test (negative).  Also, just heard from a local doctor that Flu cases are starting to pop up again, so that season is about to hit as well :(
    On another weird note, I donate blood whenever I get a chance and have never had any issues.  I got sick and started vomiting this last time, though.  The workers said that they have seen a lot more people getting sick when giving blood and they attributed it to the masks (maybe getting hot or?).  Just a strange side note and something to keep in mind if you give blood (as you should if you are a decent, caring human being ;)).
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    I wonder what this flu season's going to be like. I'd anticipate fewer cases than most years because of the social distancing (and the masks?).  But those who get it are going to be more nervous than in years past.

When I'm out and about (which essentially consists of grocery shoppoing and outdoor fitness), I rarely hear so much as a cough or sneeze...but I wonder with winter coming (record-breaking snow for this early in Minnesota yesteray!) if that's going to change (and how people will react to it.

The shit really hit the fan in early- to mid-March. Here in the north, that was pretty ideal timing. It wasn't long before we were able to get outside, seasonal illness wasn't prevalent, days were getting longer, and it was a positive time of year.  Winter's going to be a whole new ballgame here both physically and mentally/emotionally.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Well this is a happy little bit:
    https://www.livescience.com/young-scientists-wins-competition-coronavirus-drug.html
    “With the COVID-19 pandemic still raging, a 14-year-old from Texas has won a national science competition for identifying a molecule that can bind to the virus and potentially disable it.”

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Well this is a happy little bit:
    https://www.livescience.com/young-scientists-wins-competition-coronavirus-drug.html
    “With the COVID-19 pandemic still raging, a 14-year-old from Texas has won a national science competition for identifying a molecule that can bind to the virus and potentially disable it.”

When I was 14, I wasn't identifying molecules...but I did figure out how to beat Mike Tyson in Nintendo's "Mike Tyson's Punch Out."

This discussion has been closed.