Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Parks just shut down in my town again due to an uptick in covid.  
    And that makes no sense...people can cram into Costco or Wal Mart...but can't use the parks?
    parks don't sell necessities of life. at least none of the ones close to me do. 
    As already pointed out, I also felt as if there was a lot of bending in the rules as to what stores stayed open.
    But even then, be outside and staying active is really a necessity. More of a necessity than the local liquor stores that stayed open while parks closed and roped off. Having people locked up inside isn't good for physical or mental health. Parks should stay open with social distancing requirements. 
    actually, both are true. when my premier first announced all liquor stores would stay open, i couldn't believe it. but then he explained that they can't shut out those who have addictions. so that also goes to mental health. 

you can go for a walk or a run without needing a park to stay open. our playgrounds were closed, and it made sense at the time. they didn't know how long the virus could live on metal surfaces, and with kids and their known difficulties with social norms (covering a sneeze, etc), that made sense. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    And that makes no sense...people can cram into Costco or Wal Mart...but can't use the parks?
    As already pointed out, I also felt as if there was a lot of bending in the rules as to what stores stayed open.
    But even then, be outside and staying active is really a necessity. More of a necessity than the local liquor stores that stayed open while parks closed and roped off. Having people locked up inside isn't good for physical or mental health. Parks should stay open with social distancing requirements. 
    actually, both are true. when my premier first announced all liquor stores would stay open, i couldn't believe it. but then he explained that they can't shut out those who have addictions. so that also goes to mental health. 

you can go for a walk or a run without needing a park to stay open. our playgrounds were closed, and it made sense at the time. they didn't know how long the virus could live on metal surfaces, and with kids and their known difficulties with social norms (covering a sneeze, etc), that made sense. 
    I've heard that argument with the alcoholics. I've have mixed feelings, if the spikes are so bad we can;t safely go to many stores, there should be a better way to sell alcohol than a crowded small store. 
    Most parks I know of include large open fields, enough for 3 or 4 soccer fields. I could see closing playground equipment, but to close big fields seems pointless. Not everyone lives in a quiet street they feel safe letting their kids run around or ride bikes  or walk their pets. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I've heard that argument with the alcoholics. I've have mixed feelings, if the spikes are so bad we can;t safely go to many stores, there should be a better way to sell alcohol than a crowded small store. 
    Most parks I know of include large open fields, enough for 3 or 4 soccer fields. I could see closing playground equipment, but to close big fields seems pointless. Not everyone lives in a quiet street they feel safe letting their kids run around or ride bikes  or walk their pets. 
    i agree with that. i don't personally understand closing giant tracks of land either. maybe difficult to enforce distancing? not sure. 

i had no problem with any business staying open as long as they adhered to the distancing guidelines. the liquor stores in manitoba are government controlled, so there was no issue there. private ones i could see being an issue. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    my test came back negative. thanks for all the well wishes here and through pm. i appreciate it!
    KOOL !!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    New statement today is playgrounds are closed but sports teams can start practicing again.  They literally kicked off teams yesterday in the middle of practice.  The reason for the playground closure is there is a big Jewish holiday and literally hundreds if not thousands of Hasidics were crowded in playgrounds and parts of the park with no masks or any sort of social distancing.   Covid cases in lakewood are way up in the past week.  Lakewood has I believe the second largest Hasidic population outside of Israel.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I meant to post this as a reply to the truck with the writing on it in the Trump thread, thought it was here when I was typing. Belongs more here anyway.

I don't think anyone (or any significant number of people) think covid is a hoax per se, but that the handling of it and the shutdowns is. 
     Some democrats and some of the media don't help themselves with that cause by getting haircuts during a shutdown. Like the mayor of Chicago, got a haircut and when called out on it her excuse was that she cares about her hygiene. Or Chris Cuomo being "quarantined" in his basement and his big exit from it just helps promote the hoax idea, especially after his big lectures on covid and being spotted out on bike rides during his quarantine. 
    I personally don't buy into it all being a hoax, but I think there could have been better decisions made all around. And I believe that the democratic leaders aren't sad about the economy knowing that is the only reason why Biden now has a chance and is favored to win at this point.  There is no doubt it is going to help the democrats in the election the harder the economy gets hit and the longer schools stay closed. So although I wouldn't agree with them, it doesn't seem far fetched to me for someone to claim many of these decisions are based more on politics than science. And that's what I think someone means when they call it a hoax. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    cuomo's big exit?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2020
    cuomo's big exit?
    Remember when he came out of the basement and made it a big part of his show that day? It was so laughable and ridiculous. "Sorry I'm sweaty. I was just working out. It happens."
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    cuomo's big exit?
    Remember when he came out of the basement and made it a big part of his show that day? It was so laughable and ridiculous. "Sorry I'm sweaty. I was just working out. It happens."
    i didn't see it. i just read about it now. yeah, cuomo is one of those bombastic ones i can't really take much of (same with Don Lemon and his constant incessant dramatics). but he wasn't out cycling. a cyclist confronted him in his own driveway for being outside. but yeah, if he's outside, then has a big exit video claiming he's been in his basement for weeks, that's uh, "theatre". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    mace1229 said:
    cuomo's big exit?
    Yes just like the Covidiot himself! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Hugh 👍 on the results!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,140
    edited October 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I meant to post this as a reply to the truck with the writing on it in the Trump thread, thought it was here when I was typing. Belongs more here anyway.

I don't think anyone (or any significant number of people) think covid is a hoax per se, but that the handling of it and the shutdowns is. 
     Some democrats and some of the media don't help themselves with that cause by getting haircuts during a shutdown. Like the mayor of Chicago, got a haircut and when called out on it her excuse was that she cares about her hygiene. Or Chris Cuomo being "quarantined" in his basement and his big exit from it just helps promote the hoax idea, especially after his big lectures on covid and being spotted out on bike rides during his quarantine. 
    I personally don't buy into it all being a hoax, but I think there could have been better decisions made all around. And I believe that the democratic leaders aren't sad about the economy knowing that is the only reason why Biden now has a chance and is favored to win at this point.  There is no doubt it is going to help the democrats in the election the harder the economy gets hit and the longer schools stay closed. So although I wouldn't agree with them, it doesn't seem far fetched to me for someone to claim many of these decisions are based more on politics than science. And that's what I think someone means when they call it a hoax. 

I think your comment is revisionist history.

In March we did not know how deadly this was or how easy the virus spreads.

What we did know, is it went from China to over ten  thousand miles away, super quick and super easy.

What we did soon learn is that we went from a handful of cases total to two thousand deaths per day.

We should count our lucky stars this virus isn’t deadlier and medicine figured out fairly quickly how to reduce the fatality rate. That took months to accomplish.

If we open everything up and take our masks off, what’s to stop hundreds of thousands more infections? This thing spreads as fast as a wildfire. And it’s still 10 times deadlier than the flu. The fact is, if trump were smart and handled this properly, he would have a better chance to get re-elected. He was ineffective and should pay the price at the polls.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I think your comment is revisionist history.

In March we did not know how deadly this was or how easy the virus spreads.

What we did know, is it went from China to over ten  thousand miles away, super quick and super easy.

What we did soon learn is that we went from a handful of cases total to two thousand deaths per day.

We should count our lucky stars this virus isn’t deadlier and medicine figured out fairly quickly how to reduce the fatality rate. That took months to accomplish.

If we open everything up and take our masks off, what’s to stop hundreds of thousands more infections? This thing spreads as fast as a wildfire. And it’s still 10 times deadlier than the flu. The fact is, if trump were smart and handled this properly, he would have a better chance to get re-elected. He was ineffective and should pay the price at the polls.
    He had his chance to be presidential in a time of grief he failed miserably he laughed at the virus he should be literally thrown into a garbage dumpster! 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    So although I wouldn't agree with them, it doesn't seem far fetched to me for someone to claim many of these decisions are based more on politics than science. 
    Actions driven by politicians =/= Actions being politically driven.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited October 2020
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,580
    Good news Hughes!

Chantal Kreviasuk is performing nearby this month in a small theater with 50 people. There are two 70-minute shows, no intermission, groups distanced in pairs or fours.

I might try for tickets. I saw her perform the Pixies Where is my mind? with her husband at an Our Lady Peace show. I was impressed.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    tish said:
    Good news Hughes!

Chantal Kreviasuk is performing nearby this month in a small theater with 50 people. There are two 70-minute shows, no intermission, groups distanced in pairs or fours.

I might try for tickets. I saw her perform the Pixies Where is my mind? with her husband at an Our Lady Peace show. I was impressed.
    yeah, she's playing the park theatre here. it actually might be tonight. very small seater. i actually got a code for $20 off a ticket since i went to see her and raine perform and introduce their film. that was a really cool experience too. did you see that movie? she's a whiny needy person. 

i'm starting to wonder if i got a false negative (edit: not a false negative, incorrect reporting of results is what i meant). the results turnaround was insanely fast for a negative result. i've heard that a negative takes a couple to a few days to show up, positive results are communicated by phone within 24 hours. my wife knows someone who's son tested, and it came back negative in a very short time frame. his symptoms didn't go away, so she called his doc. his doc said "what are you talking about? his test came back positive". the entry on the website was obviously human error. i might call. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oops. her show was two days ago. she was performing with a cellist. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,580
    I never saw the film. 

Go with your gut feeling and double check!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    “Packed” 😂🤣😂🤣 
  • Options

LONDON — Rising levels of “Covid-19 fatigue” are being seen in Europe, the regional director of the World Health Organization said Tuesday.

Hans Kluge said that the “huge sacrifices” made to contain the coronavirus had come “at an extraordinary cost, which has exhausted all of us, regardless of where we live, or what we do.”

“In such circumstances it is easy and natural to feel apathetic and demotivated, to experience fatigue,” Kluge added in a statement.

“Based on aggregated survey data from countries across the region, we can see, not surprisingly, that fatigue among those surveyed is increasing. Although fatigue is measured in different ways, and levels vary per country, it is now estimated to have reached over 60% in some cases,” he said.

While such levels of fatigue were to be expected after months of lockdowns, uncertainty and disruption to normal life, Kluge said it was possible, and necessary, to “reinvigorate and revive efforts to tackle the evolving Covid-19 challenges that we face.”

Europe has registered over 6.2 million coronavirus cases and over 240,000 deaths since the pandemic emerged in the region in February, according to WHO data. After months of arduous lockdowns in which most social and economic life was shut down, measures were gradually relaxed over the summer.

The region is now experiencing a second wave of infections but governments are putting more emphasis on recommending good personal hygiene, social-distancing measures and efforts to curtail social activity, rather than a repeat of full lockdowns.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/06/who-warns-of-pandemic-fatigue-in-europe.html

• Options
    I disagree with this way.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cutz said:
    wow, there's gotta be at least, what, 200 people there? Jr is more popular than ever! was Great White his opening act?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it's ok to eat birds, cause they don't have any feelings......
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    We make cauliflower turkey at my house.  Wife is a vegetarian, was vegan for years.  I’m not, but we have an agreement that we don’t cook meat in the house which gets me a healthier diet and makes me appreciate the times I do eat out and get a pepperoni pizza or cheeseburger or something.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
This discussion has been closed.