Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    Researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond found nearly 75,000 more people may have died from the pandemic than what was recorded in March to July, according to the report published Monday in the peer-reviewed journal JAMA.

By looking at death certificates, the study found more than 150,000 deaths were officially attributed to COVID-19 during that period. However, researchers determined nearly 75,000 additional deaths were indirectly caused by the pandemic – bringing the total number of deaths for those four months to more than 225,000.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    that's already been debunked, to my knowledge. 
    Im not sure the truth is available to us. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 810
    brianlux said:
    JT167846 said:
    Was able to do this in Wellington yesterday-NZ vs Australia. Staying vigilant but happy to have eliminated community transmission a second time. Great to have international rugby back.

Fun for some, no doubt, but I would find it scary. 
    No masks?  Weird.
    Good luck.
    They dont need masks because  their  country didnt fuck this up like mine and yours bri.
    This sight  scares me now. But in my heart i long for these days back for my family and kids sanity.  Its too  late for me but for them we need this here. It wont come though not for a long long time. I sadly  have been caught up in it too much as a health anxiety sufferer it really has finished me. 
    Enjoy the  rugby.football. golf whatever it is that takes you away for 2 hours or so. Love to NZ and AUS.  Good people great places. 
    Yesh there were no community cases for 15 days which as we know is more than one incubation period. Before that Wellington had been at the lowest level for two weeks like the rest of the country. We were still wearing masks up until then on public transport as it was mandatory and a fair few people are still wearing them now. We still all contact trace by signing in and given the most recent outbreak we'll be a lot more vigilant. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    There is NO cornonavirus in NZ?  Really?  WOW!  I hope it stays that way. 
    None? Really?  I'm dumbfounded.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    What about Fiji?  I have a friend who lives there and my wife has visited there?
    (I'm looking for a good hide out :lol:)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    What about Fiji?  I have a friend who lives there and my wife has visited there?
    (I'm looking for a good hide out :lol:)
    Me too . I need a sanctuary 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited October 2020
    You can come to my apartment and spin some Crazy Nights. When my coughing goes away.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Deal
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    brianlux said:
    yeah, it's their second "victory". they were virus free some months back, but then had a few cases popped up, but they took care of it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    edited October 2020
    brianlux said:
    That's not quite true. They have no community spread, but they do have imported cases, meaning people traveling into NZ have tested positive. Per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/   they have 39 active cases at the moment. They have done a great job though. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    brianlux said:
    That's not quite true. They have no community spread, but they do have imported cases, meaning people traveling into NZ have tested positive. Per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/   they have 39 active cases at the moment. They have done a great job though. 
    But they're really nipping that shit in the bud.  Impressive. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What did NZ do differently? Can we learn from any of the actions they’ve taken?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    hedonist said:
    Step 1:
    Make your country an island

;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    hedonist said:
    From the 1st time they got to 0:

https://www.dw.com/en/jacinda-ardern-leadership-in-coronavirus-response/a-53733397

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    They aren't filled with dickheads who value their opinion (verified as legitimate by FaceFuck posts) over public health.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    Step 1:

;)

:lol:

She deserves kudos, for sure. 

As Bret and Jemaine would say (or was it Murray?), New Zealand ROCKS!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Trump would have fucked up NZ. His stupid anit-mask and play it down approach would have destroyed that little country. Leaders and their ability to lead make a big difference. We just have a bat shit idiot being followed by a cult of crazies.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    They closed borders. Some eastern countries did as well and have controlled it.
    We are an island and failed 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    hedonist said:
    Step 1:

;)

HAHA, but it sure helps. 

It also helps they have a population of around 5 Million. 

But, give them credit for doing a great job.
  • Options
    We went hard and went early. Due to the exponential nature of the spread an effective elimination strategy will always look like a massive overreaction. But you will see the spread grow which is always worrying-the thing is hard and early measures result in linear growth and then a couple of weeks later people recover. The numbers start to gradually drop but people are still wearing masks and socially distancing which definitely reduces chance of a rogue case or two getting out. Sucked for Auckland to lock down for two weeks but was the right thing to do as they have test match rugby this weekend. Trump pissed us off by having a crack at the second wave we got-people must have been shoving our response in his face while criticising his response-Ardern did pretty well to not bite. But the success against the second outbreak will hopefully mean it is shoved in his face again. That will teach him for claiming the US split the atom ha!

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    We went hard and went early. Due to the exponential nature of the spread an effective elimination strategy will always look like a massive overreaction. But you will see the spread grow which is always worrying-the thing is hard and early measures result in linear growth and then a couple of weeks later people recover. The numbers start to gradually drop but people are still wearing masks and socially distancing which definitely reduces chance of a rogue case or two getting out. Sucked for Auckland to lock down for two weeks but was the right thing to do as they have test match rugby this weekend. Trump pissed us off by having a crack at the second wave we got-people must have been shoving our response in his face while criticising his response-Ardern did pretty well to not bite. But the success against the second outbreak will hopefully mean it is shoved in his face again. That will teach him for claiming the US split the atom ha!
    he simply isn't worth anyone's time. I'm glad, for the most part, my PM doesn't respond to questions about him. it's nothing but bait and everyone knows he's just a jackass that has very few brain cells. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    JT167846 said:
    I remember Fauci saying something to the effect that "if we do things right we will look back and think we overreacted".....tRump is too stupid to understand that statement.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    hedonist said:
    They have an advantage being an island and a small population...

or at least that what read.  I definitely think the small pop is big in fighting COVID.

r
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    I remember Fauci saying something to the effect that "if we do things right we will look back and think we overreacted".....tRump is too stupid to understand that statement.
    funny. I said the exact same thing to multiple people back in march when everyone was freaking out over everything closing. and I'm not even an epidemiologist. or any kind of -ologist, for that matter. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    JT167846 said:
    funny. I said the exact same thing to multiple people back in march when everyone was freaking out over everything closing. and I'm not even an epidemiologist. or any kind of -ologist, for that matter. 
    You're too modest. You must be at least a Vitalogist ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    Yeah man, it seems like common sense to me. Like masks helping. Everyone wears them it's a lot of help.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/sorry-sunshine-wrong-place-winston-peters-shuts-down-american-covid-19-denier-campaign-event

Had a good laugh at this today. We do have advantages but they could have been negated with a careless approach. There are I'm sure places with similar population density that have gone the other way. Just takes one asymptomatic super spreader and we're screwed. But we know the drill now. That's very important in case we get more community cases. Which is always possible as this thing is so contagious. 

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    JT167846 said:
    brianlux said:
    JT167846 said:
    Was able to do this in Wellington yesterday-NZ vs Australia. Staying vigilant but happy to have eliminated community transmission a second time. Great to have international rugby back.

Fun for some, no doubt, but I would find it scary. 
    No masks?  Weird.
    Good luck.
    They dont need masks because  their  country didnt fuck this up like mine and yours bri.
    This sight  scares me now. But in my heart i long for these days back for my family and kids sanity.  Its too  late for me but for them we need this here. It wont come though not for a long long time. I sadly  have been caught up in it too much as a health anxiety sufferer it really has finished me. 
    Enjoy the  rugby.football. golf whatever it is that takes you away for 2 hours or so. Love to NZ and AUS.  Good people great places. 
    Yesh there were no community cases for 15 days which as we know is more than one incubation period. Before that Wellington had been at the lowest level for two weeks like the rest of the country. We were still wearing masks up until then on public transport as it was mandatory and a fair few people are still wearing them now. We still all contact trace by signing in and given the most recent outbreak we'll be a lot more vigilant. 

That’s nothing trivial.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113

ROME (AP) — Europe’s second wave of coronavirus infections has struck well before flu season even started, with intensive care wards filling up again and bars shutting down. Making matters worse, authorities say, is a widespread case of “COVID-fatigue.”

Record high daily infections in several eastern European countries and sharp rebounds in the hard-hit west have made clear that Europe never really crushed the COVID-19 curve as hoped, after springtime lockdowns.

Spain this week declared a state of emergency for Madrid amid increasing tensions between local and national authorities over virus containment measures. Germany offered up soldiers to help with contact tracing in newly flaring hotspots. Italy mandated masks outdoors and warned that for the first time since the country became the European epicenter of the pandemic, the health system was facing “significant critical issues” as hospitals fill up.

Experts say Europe’s high infection rate is due in large part to expanded testing that is turning up far more asymptomatic positives than during the first wave, when only the sick could get a test.

But the trend is nevertheless alarming, given the flu season hasn’t even begun, schools are open for in-person learning and the cold weather hasn’t yet driven Europeans indoors, where infection can spread more easily.

“We’re seeing 98,000 cases reported in the last 24 hours. That’s a new regional record. That’s very alarming,” said Robb Butler, executive director of the WHO’s Europe regional office. While part of that is due to increased testing, “It’s also worrisome in terms of virus resurgence.”

It’s also worrisome given many countries still lack the testing, tracing and treating capacity to deal with a second wave of pandemic when the first wave never really ended, said Dr. Martin McKee, professor of European public health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-pandemics-italy-madrid-eastern-europe-159a68a460337948d25281c153994c70

unfortunately UKs hospitalization rate is also increasing.
  • Options
    fuck. my province is now testing at over 4%. this isn't good. our chief medical officer is basically sounding the alarm that people aren't listening to direction. wonder if cases will go through the roof in a week or so after t-giving. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.