Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,112
    pjl44 said:
    Biden made a good point today....if they dismantle the ACA then insurance companies could make Coronavirus a pre-existing condition and not cover future effects or treatments.
    In the real world, every insurance company has waived all patient cost share for covid testing and treatment. Biden is fearmongering.
    And meanwhile, if you have only Original Medicare, you are responsible for deductibles and co-insurance if you receive treatment for covid. Not a great time to be arguing private vs govt if you're on the govt side. Surprised he didn't mention that.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    "It's like the flu"

Do you catch the flu in summer?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    pjl44 said:
    Biden made a good point today....if they dismantle the ACA then insurance companies could make Coronavirus a pre-existing condition and not cover future effects or treatments.
    In the real world, every insurance company has waived all patient cost share for covid testing and treatment. Biden is fearmongering.
    Because powerful companies and corporations never go back on their word Especially powerful groups like the insurance cartels?  Not to mention the people that lose healthcare when they lose their job because they can’t afford out of pocket insurance or ridiculous COBRA costs. I 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    i'm not much into conspiracy theories, but i follow anonymous on twitter for a lark, and they had this insane thread, with insane details, about how trump agreed with china to hide the virus info he knew (IN NOVEMBER) in exchange for help with the 2020 election. the epstein shit, the bill barr shit, true or not, it's pretty wild stuff. right out of a movie. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,836
    you could pull a similar clip from every and any politician, including dr Fauci. Not defending him at all. But there’s literally a clip like that for every “leader”
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    nicknyr15 said:
    you could pull a similar clip from every and any politician, including dr Fauci. Not defending him at all. But there’s literally a clip like that for every “leader”
    That said it was going to vanish in a few days?

I do not think so.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    nicknyr15 said:
    Nah I think this is typical of just Trump. Others (like Fauci) have been incorrect about some things as they were learning about the virus, but only Trump would pull out of thin air that it would be down to zero in a few days. I mean really, imagine if Obama (or Bush, or any other real president) said that in a similar situation.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,836
    nicknyr15 said:

I do not think so.
    Not those exact words. Obviously. But things like “it’s not a threat”. “Nothing will happen” “go to the movies”. 
  • Options
    i'm not much into conspiracy theories, but i follow anonymous on twitter for a lark, and they had this insane thread, with insane details, about how trump agreed with china to hide the virus info he knew (IN NOVEMBER) in exchange for help with the 2020 election. the epstein shit, the bill barr shit, true or not, it's pretty wild stuff. right out of a movie. 
    I heard about that thread care to link @HughFreakingDillon I have been looking for it and can’t find it
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Because powerful companies and corporations never go back on their word Especially powerful groups like the insurance cartels?  Not to mention the people that lose healthcare when they lose their job because they can’t afford out of pocket insurance or ridiculous COBRA costs. I 
    The first half is just cynicism. If we're trying to discern what health insurance companies will do, it's more useful to look at what they've done to date rather than relying on rhetoric from a politician. If that doesn't fit an anti-corporate narrative, I don't know what to tell ya.

(And I reiterate: the federal government-run option *is the one still making people pay*)

The second half of your point is a legitimate concern and *that* is the best pro-ACA argument. "Keep the ACA alive and thriving as a safety net." That is a much more honest and compelling pitch for Biden than trying to scare people with highly unlikely hypotheticals. Whether he's uninformed or cynical is for someone else to decide.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    The first half is just cynicism. If we're trying to discern what health insurance companies will do, it's more useful to look at what they've done to date rather than relying on rhetoric from a politician. If that doesn't fit an anti-corporate narrative, I don't know what to tell ya.

(And I reiterate: the federal government-run option *is the one still making people pay*)

The second half of your point is a legitimate concern and *that* is the best pro-ACA argument. "Keep the ACA alive and thriving as a safety net." That is a much more honest and compelling pitch for Biden than trying to scare people with highly unlikely hypotheticals. Whether he's uninformed or cynical is for someone else to decide.
    The ACA is a disaster.  For profit health insurance companies running the actual healthcare system is the real problem in my view.  If care (not insurance) was affordable there would be no problem. I definitely pay more for a workplace plan in a year than I use If at all and still have copays.  Currently due to being sidelined by the corona I have no insurance so at least that is one less bill.  Take the insurance companies and their price inflation out of the picture and Care would be much more affordable.  
    As for government healthcare, look at Canada government healthcare can work.

The first half of my original statement isn’t cynical, it’s based on years of witnessing corporate malfeasance and broken promises. if these types of situations were the exception and not the rule, then I could see how the statement could be taken as cynicism,
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I do not think so.
    Not those exact words. Obviously. But things like “it’s not a threat”. “Nothing will happen” “go to the movies”. 
    Yeah I still don't think so.  I'm sure there are lots of then but I do think there were some leaders who were concerned 
    For the record I didn't think, personally, it would amount to much impact in America.
    I think it was the second week in March when my eyes opened.  Been on lockdown since about a week later 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:

The ACA is a disaster.  For profit health insurance companies running the actual healthcare system is the real problem in my view.  If care (not insurance) was affordable there would be no problem. I definitely pay more for a workplace plan in a year than I use If at all and still have copays.  Currently due to being sidelined by the corona I have no insurance so at least that is one less bill.  Take the insurance companies and their price inflation out of the picture and Care would be much more affordable.  

The first half of my original statement isn’t cynical, it’s based on years of witnessing corporate malfeasance and broken promises. if these types of situations were the exception and not the rule, then I could see how the statement could be taken as cynicism,
    A disaster ACA is better than no ACA.  
  • Options
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    The first half is just cynicism. If we're trying to discern what health insurance companies will do, it's more useful to look at what they've done to date rather than relying on rhetoric from a politician. If that doesn't fit an anti-corporate Inarrative, I don't know what to tell ya.

Facts on the ground today - If you're hospitalized for covid, your out of pocket costs will be:
    $0 if you have private insurance 
    $1,408 if you have only Medicare 

There might be some random private plans still charging hospital copays, but I haven't seen one yet.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    edited June 2020
    The World Health Organization WHO is now backing from a statement that the spread of infection in Sweden is going up sharply. Instead, the organization calls Sweden's spread of infection stable, reports Ekot.

The statements that the spread is going up sharply came from the WHO on Thursday. But now WHO backs away from that statement and believes that the number tested positive in Sweden is still stable.

The WHO also notes that Sweden's health care has the ability to manage the situation, according to Ekot.

When the WHO identified Sweden as a high-risk country, state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell called it "a total mistake". He said that one cannot just look at one parameter. So the World Health Organization is giving Tegnell the right.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/3Jgxj9/senaste-nytt-om-coronaviruset
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    Boy, Sweden really dropped the ball with this virus. My goodness...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    Has Pence said anything true yet at this Covid-19 update event?

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    The first half is just cynicism. If we're trying to discern what health insurance companies will do, it's more useful to look at what they've done to date rather than relying on rhetoric from a politician. If that doesn't fit an anti-corporate Inarrative, I don't know what to tell ya.

Facts on the ground today - If you're hospitalized for covid, your out of pocket costs will be:
    $0 if you have private insurance 
    $1,408 if you have only Medicare 

There might be some random private plans still charging hospital copays, but I haven't seen one yet.
    Fair enough.  What do the facts on the ground say about monthly premiums for private insurance vs monthly premiums for Medicare?  
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    "It's like the flu"

Not in recent years, but I have a few times in the past.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    nicknyr15 said:

Not unless they are faked.  Not governors Cuomo and and Newsom.  No way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    And meanwhile, if you have only Original Medicare, you are responsible for deductibles and co-insurance if you receive treatment for covid. Not a great time to be arguing private vs govt if you're on the govt side. Surprised he didn't mention that.
    And you are going to guarantee to pay for every Americans Covid cost if the insurance companies revert to their preexisting denial of coverage tricks?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    Kat said:
    Has Pence said anything true yet at this Covid-19 update event?

Did he start off by saying "hello"?
    That would be about it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:

For profit health insurance companies running the actual healthcare system is the real problem in my view.  If care (not insurance) was affordable there would be no problem. 
    Absolutely. My premiums have more than tripled since Romneycare (predecessor to Obamacare in Massachusetts) kicked in. Just got notice today of an 11% premium jump as of July 1. And with that co-pays for specialists are also jumping. Before the mandated coverage under Romneycare (then the ACA) went into effect, had no deductibles and virtually no out of pocket expenses. Now have a deductible with a max annual out of pocket cost of $11,100.00 (on top of a monthly premium that just jumped to $2,750.20) That's $33K a year. Company under law pays 1/3. Its now $22K annually out of my paycheck.
    I'd be better off with no coverage and paying for doctor visits out of pocket. It's a brutally flawed system.
    Really should change the acronym to the UCA, cause for the average middle class family, its unaffordable.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    "It's like the flu"

I've had the flu in the summer.... Not that I think covid is like the flu.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    PJ_Soul said:
    "It's like the flu"

I've had the flu in the summer.... Not that I think covid is like the flu.

Lab-confirmed influenza?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I had some blood drawn the other day and the PA said that the flu was definitely still going around...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Not unless they are faked.  Not governors Cuomo and and Newsom.  No way.
    Cuomo was initially downplaying it as well and thought de bilasio was wrong when calling for a stay at home order.  Let's not revise history.  He did a good job once he started doing his job.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    PJPOWER said:
    I had some blood drawn the other day and the PA said that the flu was definitely still going around...
    Well, maybe. The last week for which there was data was week 25 of 2020, which was the last week of May. During that week there were only 10 positive tests for influenza in the whole country. By now it's likely lower.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684
    Poncier said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:

For profit health insurance companies running the actual healthcare system is the real problem in my view.  If care (not insurance) was affordable there would be no problem. 
    Absolutely. My premiums have more than tripled since Romneycare (predecessor to Obamacare in Massachusetts) kicked in. Just got notice today of an 11% premium jump as of July 1. And with that co-pays for specialists are also jumping. Before the mandated coverage under Romneycare (then the ACA) went into effect, had no deductibles and virtually no out of pocket expenses. Now have a deductible with a max annual out of pocket cost of $11,100.00 (on top of a monthly premium that just jumped to $2,750.20) That's $33K a year. Company under law pays 1/3. Its now $22K annually out of my paycheck.
    I'd be better off with no coverage and paying for doctor visits out of pocket. It's a brutally flawed system.
    Really should change the acronym to the UCA, cause for the average middle class family, its unaffordable.
    I don't know that it's related to "Romneycare" or Obamacare.  Remember that Obamacare are plans for those that don't have insurance through work.  Health insurance has been outpacing inflation for 25 years plus for those of us on private plans through work.  I can't speak directly for MA, but for me insurance has been rising unabated and dramatically since I first got insurance in 97.  
This discussion has been closed.