Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    dignin said:
    Does anyone still think covid numbers in the US would be the same if Hillary was president?

There were people here that argued that.
    No, and not just because she would be competent in a way Trump has no capacity to be. If Hillary were President Fox News would not have spent six weeks lying to its older, whiter, at risk viewers that it was all a hoax and that there was nothing to worry about. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    The numbers out of Florida are staggering and infuriating. 5,000+ new cases each of the last two days. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    edited June 2020
    It's getting really scary in Texas too.
    Gov Abbott making some moves today but really, they are too little, too late. 

I wish I could stay home, but I work at Costco. I took 2 weeks off at the beginning of the month because I was so stressed out and now don't have any paid time off left.  
    Some people are such assholes about wearing a mask. 

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

I wish I could stay home, but I work at Costco. I took 2 weeks off at the beginning of the month because I was so stressed out and now don't have any paid time off left.  

He's finally doing something?  I watched the press conference last week where he tried to shame away the "unacceptable" rise in cases.  Meanwhile uneducated friends have said to me that "cases are only on the rise because there is more testing, it's a direct correlation"  Clearly he pushed us to open way too soon. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020

Costco is the only place I feel some comfort in shopping at here because they require everyone wear a mask. The numbers are getting out of hand though, and most new cases are people under 30 years old here locally.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options
    static111 said:

He's finally doing something?  I watched the press conference last week where he tried to shame away the "unacceptable" rise in cases.  Meanwhile uneducated friends have said to me that "cases are only on the rise because there is more testing, it's a direct correlation"  Clearly he pushed us to open way too soon. 
    All he did was halt any further opening plans and cancel elective surgeries.
    While the hospitals are filling up here in Dallas, we aren't overwhelmed yet, but at the rate we are going, it's going to be bad.   
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    I was in Connecticut a couple weeks ago and the mask situation was weirdly bad. At a gas station saw 8 people go in and out of the store - none of them wearing a mask. Also stopped at Target - 1 out of 5 people with a face covering, give or take. Did not expect to see that in the northeast.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    edited June 2020
    musician friend of mine posted on FB that his band is playing a private party this coming weekend out of town, and "message me for address if you want to come". fuck. i hate hearing this shit. my guess is that party won't be keeping people 2 meters apart and no one will be wearing masks. i get it. manitoba is in a fabulous position. i just don't want idiots fucking it up. 

friends of ours are coming to visit for a week from vancouver. i'm not super stoked about that. i wish they'd just stay home this summer.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:
    cap on or off, what was she supposed to be getting a shot of?
    This is Annastacia Palaszczuk, she is  is the head of government in the Australian state of Queensland..
    for me, it dosen't matter what kind of shot is that..
    But the cap was on, so what was the point of having it done in such a manner?

”I didn’t even feel it!”  Of course not; a prick was impossible. 
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:
    This is Annastacia Palaszczuk, she is  is the head of government in the Australian state of Queensland..
    k, i guess i just don't understand what you're getting at. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    As usual, the antivaxxer conspiracy theorists miss important information

https://www.buzzfeed.com/cameronwilson/australia-politician-flu-jab-anti-vaxxer-fake

She got her flu shot. Then the media asked her to do it again, so they filmed a second time, without the actual vaccine.

Hard to fathom why some people ignore both science and all reason to push an anti-vaccination agenda, but they do. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    hedonist said:
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:
    But the cap was on, so what was the point of having it done in such a manner?

”I didn’t even feel it!”  Of course not; a prick was impossible. 
    It appears like most things these days this was just a clip cut to stir shit up. It was a reenactment for the media moments after she received an actual flu shot.
    Edit
    What oftenreading said.

Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    there have been 280 posts since last time i was in this thread. i am too lazy to go back and read. 

is sweden's approach being condemned yet?
    They really dropped the ball over there. Big time. 

Sweden is number 5 in deaths per capita. The USA is currently number 7 and rising. You really dropped the ball over there. Big time. 

So possibly now we could drop the stupid Sweden squabbling, so it doesn't clutter up all the threads again. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    there have been 280 posts since last time i was in this thread. i am too lazy to go back and read. 

is sweden's approach being condemned yet?
    They really dropped the ball over there. Big time. 

Sweden is number 5 in deaths per capita. The USA is currently number 7 and rising. You really dropped the ball over there. Big time. 

So possibly now we could drop the stupid Sweden squabbling, so it doesn't clutter up all the threads again. 
    LMAO. it always comes back to sweden squabbling. 

ALLTID!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    Does anyone still think covid numbers in the US would be the same if Hillary was president?

Would the Yankees have won 27 WS titles if MLB had a salary cap?
    I don't follow baseball cause it's boring. You're going to have to be more clear with your analogy for me to understand your point.
    I was just asking another question that there is no way of knowing a definitive answer on. Ask team red and they would probably say yes, ask team blue and they would probably say no.

Would Eddie be a rock star if Andrew Wood would have not died?  Most on here should get that one...

I'm team blue and I don't think they'd be the same. That said, when people lay 100% of the deaths at Trump's feet, that's pretty hyperbolic.  The existence of the virus and it's entry into the country has nothing to do with Trump.  But all he cares about is his re-election. Hilary wasn't a great candidate but I don't think she'd be telling people what they want to hear (it's going to go away magically) in the hope of bumping up her numbers and I don't think there'd be nearly as many people not distancing or wearing masks out of spite.  W was able to unite the country after 9/11.  Trump didn't even try here.  Hilary is hated enough that she would not have been that successful, either, but there would at least be some leadership with interest beyond "Team Blue."  I believe the numbers would be better.  How much? Who knows.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503

https://www.buzzfeed.com/cameronwilson/australia-politician-flu-jab-anti-vaxxer-fake

She got her flu shot. Then the media asked her to do it again, so they filmed a second time, without the actual vaccine.

Hard to fathom why some people ignore both science and all reason to push an anti-vaccination agenda, but they do. 
    Please look what I said to my post.. anyway, my bad..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    nicknyr15 said:

Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner, maybe others have.  Faucci should have referred to Covid as:

1) The devil's breathe
    or
    2) Illegal immigrant

With the only way to protect ourselves:
    Against the devil:
    1) God's grace facemask
    2) Staying away 6' from others as the devil cannot get you then

Against the illegal immigrant:
    1) Trumps wall face mask

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    nicknyr15 said:

Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner, maybe others have.  Faucci should have referred to Covid as:

1) The devil's breathe
    or
    2) Illegal immigrant

With the only way to protect ourselves:
    Against the devil:
    1) God's grace facemask
    2) Staying away 6' from others as the devil cannot get you then

Against the illegal immigrant:
    1) Trumps wall face mask

Nailed it!  :lol: 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Ah, thank you. Who knew, based on the Facebook clip?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,602
    Thanks Rupert. Appreciate all that you've done to MAGA. So much winning.

Coronavirus infections have surged in a number of states, setting the United States on a markedly different pandemic trajectory than other wealthy nations.

There are many reasons our response to the pandemic tied to more than 120,000 U.S. deaths has faltered, experts say, including the lack of a cohesive federal policy, missteps on testing and tracing, and a national culture emphasizing individualism.

In recent weeks, three studies have focused on conservative media’s role in fostering confusion about the seriousness of the coronavirus. Taken together, they paint a picture of a media ecosystem that amplifies misinformation, entertains conspiracy theories and discourages audiences from taking concrete steps to protect themselves and others.

The end result, according to one of the studies, is that infection and mortality rates are higher in places where one pundit who initially downplayed the severity of the pandemic — Fox News’s Sean Hannity — reaches the largest audiences.

“We are receiving an incredible number of studies and solid data showing that consuming far-right media and social media content was strongly associated with low concern about the virus at the onset of the pandemic,” said Irene Pasquetto, chief editor of the Harvard Kennedy School Misinformation Review, which published one of the studies.
    Misinformation and conspiracy theoriesIn April, Kathleen Hall Jamieson of the Annenberg Public Policy Center and Dolores Albarracin of the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign published a peer-reviewed study examining how Americans’ media diets affected their beliefs about the coronavirus.Administering a nationally representative phone survey with 1,008 respondents, they found that people who got most of their information from mainstream print and broadcast outlets tended to have an accurate assessment of the severity of the pandemic and their risks of infection. But those who relied on conservative sources, such as Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, were more likely to believe in conspiracy theories or unfounded rumors, such as the belief that taking vitamin C could prevent infection, that the Chinese government had created the virus, and that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention exaggerated the pandemic’s threat “to damage the Trump presidency.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/25/fox-news-hannity-coronavirus-misinformation/

And social media couldn't possible sway an election.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    If those in charge had treated this like they were applying behavior management to toddlers, it would have gone over better.

You have to model the behavior you want to see. 
    Therefore, a President not wearing a mask is counter productive. So is having him and other government officials traveling all over the nation giving speeches the opposite of advising people to stay home. 

A united front is of paramount importance.
     Just like parents that are on opposite sides of rules, the gov't has sent out so many mixed messages. Here in Texas, we've had our local judges trying to implement rules that are important while our Governor overrides them. 

Follow through on your consequences.  We had a salon owner here in Texas open her salon way before it was allowed. She was warned, then put in jail. Gov Abbott (who had put the rule in place) ordered her release. 

Just a few thoughts on how this has all been mishandled. 
  • Options
    If those in charge had treated this like they were applying behavior management to toddlers, it would have gone over better.

You have to model the behavior you want to see. 
    Therefore, a President not wearing a mask is counter productive. So is having him and other government officials traveling all over the nation giving speeches the opposite of advising people to stay home. 

A united front is of paramount importance.
     Just like parents that are on opposite sides of rules, the gov't has sent out so many mixed messages. Here in Texas, we've had our local judges trying to implement rules that are important while our Governor overrides them. 

Follow through on your consequences.  We had a salon owner here in Texas open her salon way before it was allowed. She was warned, then put in jail. Gov Abbott (who had put the rule in place) ordered her release. 

Just a few thoughts on how this has all been mishandled. 

:plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Biden made a good point today....if they dismantle the ACA then insurance companies could make Coronavirus a pre-existing condition and not cover future effects or treatments.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:

I don't follow baseball cause it's boring. You're going to have to be more clear with your analogy for me to understand your point.
    I was just asking another question that there is no way of knowing a definitive answer on. Ask team red and they would probably say yes, ask team blue and they would probably say no.

Would Eddie be a rock star if Andrew Wood would have not died?  Most on here should get that one...

I'm team blue and I don't think they'd be the same. That said, when people lay 100% of the deaths at Trump's feet, that's pretty hyperbolic.  The existence of the virus and it's entry into the country has nothing to do with Trump.  But all he cares about is his re-election. Hilary wasn't a great candidate but I don't think she'd be telling people what they want to hear (it's going to go away magically) in the hope of bumping up her numbers and I don't think there'd be nearly as many people not distancing or wearing masks out of spite.  W was able to unite the country after 9/11.  Trump didn't even try here.  Hilary is hated enough that she would not have been that successful, either, but there would at least be some leadership with interest beyond "Team Blue."  I believe the numbers would be better.  How much? Who knows.
    This is pretty much how I feel, but the initial question just felt like fishing for an argument and we have enough of that already considering it is pure speculation.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    JW269453 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:

This is pretty much how I feel, but the initial question just felt like fishing for an argument and we have enough of that already considering it is pure speculation.

Not 100% Trumps fault but pretty damn close. His biggest crime of course was shutting down travel from China while NYC got infected from Italy. That was 100% on trump. Not sure why that is forgotten by many. 

He has made a mockery of science, and that happens to be the ticket out of this mess, proven by the northeast USA and the rest of the entire world, except for red state America, Russia, India and Brazil. That’s on trump

Trumps refusal to give the scientists the respect they have earned by dedicating their lives specializing in how to handle a crisis like this has had a big impact . Making a joke of the task force then effectively shutting it down after the injecting bleach fiasco, instead of having a visible task force provide expert guidance for the country, we got id. That’s on trump.

All the red state crying about reopening before it was safe to do so, about not wanting to wear masks, about not having tests to hide the fact the virus is here and then falsely blaming the current spike on testing. The virus is here in record daily numbers, again, whether you test for it or not. That’s on trump.

Not having tests. Blaming a pandemic on too much testing. Shutting down travel from one super spreader while leaving Italy travel open for business. Making mask wearing a joke. Opening states too early when it was unsafe. Not trusting science. Not respecting scientists. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    JW269453 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:

Not 100% Trumps fault but pretty damn close. His biggest crime of course was shutting down travel from China while NYC got infected from Italy. That was 100% on trump. Not sure why that is forgotten by many. 

He has made a mockery of science, and that happens to be the ticket out of this mess, proven by the northeast USA and the rest of the entire world, except for red state America, Russia, India and Brazil. That’s on trump

Trumps refusal to give the scientists the respect they have earned by dedicating their lives specializing in how to handle a crisis like this has had a big impact . Making a joke of the task force then effectively shutting it down after the injecting bleach fiasco, instead of having a visible task force provide expert guidance for the country, we got id. That’s on trump.

All the red state crying about reopening before it was safe to do so, about not wanting to wear masks, about not having tests to hide the fact the virus is here and then falsely blaming the current spike on testing. The virus is here in record daily numbers, again, whether you test for it or not. That’s on trump.

Not having tests. Blaming a pandemic on too much testing. Shutting down travel from one super spreader while leaving Italy travel open for business. Making mask wearing a joke. Opening states too early when it was unsafe. Not trusting science. Not respecting scientists. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump. That’s on trump.

~Applause~
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Windsor/Essex, Ontario moved into stage 2 with the exception of 2 small towns where the majority of greenhouses are located and where most ne cases have been coming from.

mandatory mask policy for all commercial buildings starting Friday.  Got my mask in the mail today.

just crazy what’s going on in the US.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    JW269453 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:

~Applause~

Here as well.  Great post, Lerxst1992  !

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Biden made a good point today....if they dismantle the ACA then insurance companies could make Coronavirus a pre-existing condition and not cover future effects or treatments.
    In the real world, every insurance company has waived all patient cost share for covid testing and treatment. Biden is fearmongering.
This discussion has been closed.