Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    its all a hoax. utter bullshit. a fucking scam!!!!!

or

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522

mickeyrat said:

Dems will do anything to hurt the economy and chances of a Trump reelection.  To get the world behind this hoax just shows the reach of the deep state.

Seriously those stories are terrible.  We really need to remain vigilant and not listen to right wing news/arm chair scientists/Donald Trump

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,945
    At the risk of coming across as offensive to some of our fellow members here, it really bugs me that some people here are saying the coronavirus is a hoax.  The reasons that bugs me are as follows:

We have a close extended family member who is smarter than the lot of us put together who works in the medical field and is putting her health and well being on the line every day she works at Stanford Hospital.  During the first weeks of the outbreak, she was working insane hours.  My godchildren's mother has been a professional in the medical for quite a long time and would laugh if someone told her a hoax.  And then she would straighten them out in no uncertain terms.   I have others good friends as well as we have members here who are hard at work caring for patients with the virus. 

I volunteered for 1,000 hours at a Health Library not too many years ago.  We had a great deal of respect for the research at Johns Hopkins and relied on the expertise frequently.  They are not the kind of organization that would pull a stunt like backing a virus hoax.  No way in hell.

And more:  Michael T. Osterholm, an American infectious disease epidemiologist, regents professor, and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, has done extensive research regarding this virus.  The man is brilliant, well regarded in his field, and has followed this epidemic very closely from the get go.  Any one calling this virus a hoax would do well to listen to any number of interviews with him and read his work. And he is not tied to politicians! 

The idea that this is a hoax is as far fetched as anything I've read in some time.  Yes, I believe in being skeptical about EVERYTHING, but when you have the brightest medical people and scientists from all over the world working on studying the disease and working to find a cure or vaccine, it's pretty hard to take anyone seriously who goes on about this being a hoax yet supplies zero verifiable evidence that it is a hoax. 

That's all I've got to say other than that  I'm really disappointed in a few people here who are venting about this being a hoax and having absolutely nothing to back that up with.  You're better than that.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    edited June 2020
    Yup.  A lot of very horrific stories out there including this one of Patrick Childress I was following.  He eventually succumbed to Covid

Wonder how many stories like this are out there.  $1.1 million in hospital bills.  Luckily on Medicare, but how many stories of not so fortunate? 

The first story I linked insurance denied them as they don't cover pandemics. (just a way to deny)  'Luckily' they got sick in South Africa where they aren't as likely to bankrupt you as the US is.

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    Smellyman said:
    Yup.  A lot of very horrific stories out there including this one of Patrick Childress I was following.  He eventually succumbed to Covid

Wonder how many stories like this are out there.  $1.1 million in hospital bills.  Luckily on Medicare, but how many stories of not so fortunate? 

The first story I linked insurance denied them as they don't cover pandemics. (just a way to deny)  'Luckily' they got sick in South Africa where they aren't as likely to bankrupt you as the US is.

The repub plan for health care: Get sick and die. It’s been 12 years since Obama ran on it, 10 years since ACA passed and 5 years since Team Trump Treason promised the American people something less expensive, better and more beautiful that would cover pre-existing conditions and prescription drugs. Suckers. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    Pretty good news on the treatment front for seriously ill patients. This steroid significantly reduced mortality in patients on ventilators or oxygen. The same study is looking at a variety of other treatment options, too.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    ^ Good stuff!  Nice to see the thread get back on track...for now.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    brianlux said:
    At the risk of coming across as offensive to some of our fellow members here, it really bugs me that some people here are saying the coronavirus is a hoax.  The reasons that bugs me are as follows:

We have a close extended family member who is smarter than the lot of us put together who works in the medical field and is putting her health and well being on the line every day she works at Stanford Hospital.  During the first weeks of the outbreak, she was working insane hours.  My godchildren's mother has been a professional in the medical for quite a long time and would laugh if someone told her a hoax.  And then she would straighten them out in no uncertain terms.   I have others good friends as well as we have members here who are hard at work caring for patients with the virus. 

I volunteered for 1,000 hours at a Health Library not too many years ago.  We had a great deal of respect for the research at Johns Hopkins and relied on the expertise frequently.  They are not the kind of organization that would pull a stunt like backing a virus hoax.  No way in hell.

And more:  Michael T. Osterholm, an American infectious disease epidemiologist, regents professor, and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, has done extensive research regarding this virus.  The man is brilliant, well regarded in his field, and has followed this epidemic very closely from the get go.  Any one calling this virus a hoax would do well to listen to any number of interviews with him and read his work. And he is not tied to politicians! 

The idea that this is a hoax is as far fetched as anything I've read in some time.  Yes, I believe in being skeptical about EVERYTHING, but when you have the brightest medical people and scientists from all over the world working on studying the disease and working to find a cure or vaccine, it's pretty hard to take anyone seriously who goes on about this being a hoax yet supplies zero verifiable evidence that it is a hoax. 

That's all I've got to say other than that  I'm really disappointed in a few people here who are venting about this being a hoax and having absolutely nothing to back that up with.  You're better than that.

Offend away
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Well said, but to your very last statement? Gotta disagree.

A better person wouldn’t be an ass about their view, nor would they mock others for theirs. They wouldn’t make light of something that’s turned the world of many upside down (or extinguished it altogether).

So no, they’re not really better than that at all.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    What if no vaccine ever becomes available?  How are some of you going to live?  As for me I work in Cannabis facility with 800 other folks that makes social distancing near impossible. I just go to work with the mind set that I may just have to learn to live with the virus for the foreseeable future.  And yes, the greenhouse sector that I work in is experiencing outbreaks 😷.  For some of us life must go on...even though I’m sure I could off and collect “Trudeau welfare”...I’d rather work and keep the pay check coming in... 

I wear no mask at work.  I wear no mask period.  If I’m required I will...but so far no one in my area requires mask wearing to patronize any business...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    What if no vaccine ever becomes available?  How are some of you going to live?  As for me I work in Cannabis facility with 800 other folks that makes social distancing near impossible. I just go to work with the mind set that I may just have to learn to live with the virus for the foreseeable future.  And yes, the greenhouse sector that I work in is experiencing outbreaks 😷.  For some of us life must go on...even though I’m sure I could off and collect “Trudeau welfare”...I’d rather work and keep the pay check coming in... 

I wear no mask at work.  I wear no mask period.  If I’m required I will...but so far no one in my area requires mask wearing to patronize any business...
    Honestly, I find it extremely irresponsible of your employer to have people working close together with no masks. It’s no different than any other known health & safety hazard at work. And then knowing you do that and have that potential exposure and do not care to wear a mask other places? That’s not living with the virus that’s just not caring.

living with the virus is finding ways for things to go on safely, which includes social distancing AND wearing if a mask. So I’m kinda wondering why people confuse it with just ignoring the risk.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,515

Honestly, I find it extremely irresponsible of your employer to have people working close together with no masks. It’s no different than any other known health & safety hazard at work. And then knowing you do that and have that potential exposure and do not care to wear a mask other places? That’s not living with the virus that’s just not caring.

living with the virus is finding ways for things to go on safely, which includes social distancing AND wearing if a mask. So I’m kinda wondering why people confuse it with just ignoring the risk.
    Agree 100%. Taking precautions (mask/distancing/hand washing) and avoiding unnecessary risks (crowds). Even if there's never a vaccine, there will eventually be better treatments, so taking precautions to at least delay what might be an inevitable infection is still beneficial.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

My employer, like other employers in the area are having trouble getting masks...some employers are trying to stay in business.  I work alone 80% of the time.  The other 20% I’m not in close contact with people unless I choose.  When out I keep my distance...

its not irresponsible.  The government was irresponsible...both yours and mine.  McDonald’s and fast food is not essential.  Most of what Wal Mart Sells is not essential...yet I couldn’t get chiropractic services...Really?  People got their priorities fucked up if they think fast food and big box stores are essential...

I also have asthma so I find breathing in a mask difficult, and then add the humid weather...lol.  I also live in a small town...we do not live stacked on top of each other like cities.  Oddly enough people in my small town do a good job of social distancing and following the arrows in grocery stores...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

My employer, like other employers in the area are having trouble getting masks...some employers are trying to stay in business.  I work alone 80% of the time.  The other 20% I’m not in close contact with people unless I choose.  When out I keep my distance...

its not irresponsible.  The government was irresponsible...both yours and mine.  McDonald’s and fast food is not essential.  Most of what Wal Mart Sells is not essential...yet I couldn’t get chiropractic services...Really?  People got their priorities fucked up if they think fast food and big box stores are essential...

I also have asthma so I find breathing in a mask difficult, and then add the humid weather...lol.  I also live in a small town...we do not live stacked on top of each other like cities.  Oddly enough people in my small town do a good job of social distancing and following the arrows in grocery stores...

There is no reason not to have masks. They don’t need to be medical grade masks, they just need to be cloth face covering, which are very easily available. Your employer could easily get them, but in any event the employees could as well.  They’re not expensive, or even difficult to make.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2020
    I wish there was some kind of voluntary infection program for low risk people.  Generations before us have sacrificed so much more for society that I feel it could be this generations equivalent of enlisting for WW2 (even though it does not really compare in magnitude).  I would gladly sacrifice a couple weeks being infected in a controlled environment if it meant I could help more at-risk groups by giving antibody laced blood or volunteering to help with those that need it.  Even if 5% of those volunteers had major complications, it would still be nothing compared to the sacrifices made before us.  Who is with me?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,218
    pjl44 said:
    Pretty good news on the treatment front for seriously ill patients. This steroid significantly reduced mortality in patients on ventilators or oxygen. The same study is looking at a variety of other treatment options, too.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

Offend away

I didn't know you were one that thought COVID-19 is a hoax.  Surprising.  If you thought I meant merely to offend, I guess my words were wasted on you.

hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Well said, but to your very last statement? Gotta disagree.

A better person wouldn’t be an ass about their view, nor would they mock others for theirs. They wouldn’t make light of something that’s turned the world of many upside down (or extinguished it altogether).

So no, they’re not really better than that at all.  

I'm trying harder to give people the benefit of the doubt but, yeah, that time it might have been a stretch.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Unfortunately I'm related by marriage to a nurse who believes the virus was unleashed on purpose by China in cahoots with Fauci and Gates who have a financial stake in a vaccine lab. A Nurse! She thinks the shutdown was a liberal conspiracy to wreck the economy before the election. So, again unfortunately, not all healthcare workers are saints on this. When I announced to the family last weekend that they need to come up with a Plan B to care for my elderly mom in the event I get sick when schools reopen, she was the first to dismiss it. "I work in healthcare, and I haven't gotten sick." None of my three brothers spoke up, in my mother's presence. Okay, I realized, my brothers are more okay with mother dying than with stepping up and caring for her when I can't. That's how fucked up this world has become.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I'm related by marriage to a nurse who believes the virus was unleashed on purpose by China in cahoots with Fauci and Gates who have a financial stake in a vaccine lab. A Nurse! She thinks the shutdown was a liberal conspiracy to wreck the economy before the election. So, again unfortunately, not all healthcare workers are saints on this. When I announced to the family last weekend that they need to come up with a Plan B to care for my elderly mom in the event I get sick when schools reopen, she was the first to dismiss it. "I work in healthcare, and I haven't gotten sick." None of my three brothers spoke up, in my mother's presence. Okay, I realized, my brothers are more okay with mother dying than with stepping up and caring for her when I can't. That's how fucked up this world has become.

What a sad story!  But very fine of you to be taking care of your elderly mother.  I hope she stays well.  And you too!

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited June 2020
    This is sad to hear. Not that the nurse buys into conspiracy-theories (some people are just hopeless), but the whole situation puts you in a tough spot. You should try to talk to your brothers without the nurse present (unless one of them is married to her), and try show them different perspectives. Because "I'm a nurse so I know best" isn't a good perspective.

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    This is sad to hear. Not that the nurse buys into conspiracy-theories (some people are just hopeless), but the whole situation puts you in a tough spot. You should try to talk to your brothers without the nurse present (unless one of them is married to her), and try show them different perspectives. 

Well, the story is on their trusted Fox News, so they will at least play the video. The reality, I suspect, is that they don't want to be bothered, as is the case of many Americans whom we have heard dismiss the elderly in public these past months. I suspect that if we were to take an anonymous poll, the vast majority of Americans feel the same way. They just don't want their parents hear them say it. This virus has opened up a lot of shocking truths about what we value as a society, that's for sure. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited June 2020
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

Offend away

I didn't know you were one that thought COVID-19 is a hoax.  Surprising.  If you thought I meant merely to offend, I guess my words were wasted on you.
    Absolutely not bud. I’m saying if people that think it’s a hoax are offended by your post, you shouldn’t give it a second thought. Hoaxers aren’t  worried about offending those with real shit at stake andI don’t see kid gloves  breaking down such willful ignorance. Total respect for the way you’ve expressed your experience 

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

Offend away

Absolutely not bud. I’m saying if people that think it’s a hoax are offended by your post, you shouldn’t give it a second thought. Hoaxers aren’t  worried about offending those with real shit at stake andI don’t see kid gloves  breaking down such willful ignorance. Total respect for the way you’ve expressed your experience 

Thank you for clarifying, Dewie!  Sorry I'm a bit dense sometimes, LOL.  :smile: 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    sometimes he says....
    :s

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    sometimes he says....
    :s

Hey  buddy, ya know, somethings that are dense are quite good!
    Chocolate fudge cake 45 - rich dense moorish Needs raspberries
    :lol:

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    https://apple.news/AhLag0bdmQPGm22ZC3vY4Ig
    Screw these young idiots I have no pitty for anyone that just dismisses this virus f you and all your friends , you get what you deserve for being a fool !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    Screw these young idiots I have no pitty for anyone that just dismisses this virus f you and all your friends , you get what you deserve for being a fool !
    How are they dismissing it when they're admitting their mistake and are trying to warn others? With all the reopenings, coupled with thousands of people in the streets for demonstrations and Trump having a rally, there's probably a lot of people that think the virus isn't that big a deal anymore. These "young idiot fools that you have no pity for" probably thought that, and now they're trying to say "don't make the same mistake we did."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Let’s not forget the governor said it was safe enough to open bars for business just like here in Texas where we are having a spike.  Strong leadership could have prevented the new rise in cases nationwide, but until it hits the R voting base hard I doubt anything will be done.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    How are they dismissing it when they're admitting their mistake and are trying to warn others? With all the reopenings, coupled with thousands of people in the streets for demonstrations and Trump having a rally, there's probably a lot of people that think the virus isn't that big a deal anymore. These "young idiot fools that you have no pity for" probably thought that, and now they're trying to say "don't make the same mistake we did."
    They dismissed all the warning bells going off in every state that has gone through this like here in NY , they are fools they didn’t heed the warnings, they listened to their racist governor f’em ..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    edited June 2020

They dismissed it when it mattered...

That said, stories like this are important.  There are former truthers out there that are telling the rest of us to take it seriously.  The unfortunate part?  Most of the people who just want everything opened will just say "I bet they all survive."  That's true because of their age, but ignores the likely exponential spread each has had.  Not to mention, are any of them going to have respiratory issues for life?  We talk about "survival" but rarely about quality of life.

Edit: But I do appreciate them saying "I was wrong." So few people can do that anymore. It's a strength; not a weakness.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.