Options

YES/NO: Do you like "Dance of the Clairvoyants" ?

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    I am pretty surprised that right now 92% like it. 
  • Options
    BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    YES, I DO
    Invigorating and unexpected, PJ at 30 still have a lot of life in them.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited January 2020
    YES, I DO
    PJNB said:
    Same. Leads me to think my assumption that most folks on here listen almost exclusively to PJ was mostly incorrect.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    YES, I DO
    I like it

Im not over the moon or anything with it, but a solid effort and a catchy tune.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    YES, I DO
    Love the words but need more listen for me..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    YES, I DO
    Love they put something out fresh and a new style! Let's go PJ! 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    Could we add an "on the fence" option? There are elements to the song that I really like, and some that are a bit confusing.
  • Options
    YES, I DO
    Listened to it a few times.
    It's ok.
    Mostly glad they're pushing somewhere unexpected. Love to hear that Stone and Jeff had an unusual role in creating it.
    Wait and see whether that equates to music that has staying power for me personally.

Definitely hear:

Peter Gabriel/Killers/little bit of Bowie/little bit of Heads, with a nod to This is Radio Clash.

Keep em coming!

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    YES, I DO
    Trying to withhold from listening to it too many times so that it folds as something new into the full album listening experience.
    Streamed it once in the car with kids in carpool this morning.
    Then just watched the video.
    Tried to consume TODC w/ a blank slate of expectations. It's fresh, edge-y. A welcome departure from the band's recent sounds.
    Love it and stoked to hear the direction of the whole album. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    YES, I DO
    I do.  It's a different sound.   A familiar 80s vibe to it, but a different sound for PJ.  I always felt starting sometime around Binaural/Riot Act that they settled on a PJ sound.  Whereas the earlier albums tended to sound more different from each other.    That WTF moment when you got your copy of no code (which took me until Yield to appreciate).   I definitely had a WTF moment the first listen, but it's completely growing on me.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,469
    YES, I DO
    I didnt like Do The Evolution until I heard it live. It sounded like a throwaway speedy punk riff. Then it became one of my favorites.

But I know people who revolted when they first heard "Who You Are".  I remember a friend saying "what is this hippy shit?"

I really liked this from the start. So different. Great choice for the first single. Kinda like when Nothing As It Seems was the first single off Binaural.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    YES, I DO
    This single makes me excited to hear the rest of the record.  I get a lot of Bowie, especially in the second half of the song.  Any song that has a lot of Jeff Ament bass in it, is something I'm a proponent of.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,848
    YES, I DO
    It’s evolution baby 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    YES, I DO
    This single makes me excited to hear the rest of the record.  I get a lot of Bowie, especially in the second half of the song.  Any song that has a lot of Jeff Ament bass in it, is something I'm a proponent of.
    Except it’s Stone on bass ;)
  • Options
    YES, I DO
    JPPJ84 said:
    OHHH!  I like it even more now!!

• Options
    Has anyone made a Talking Heads reference yet?  Trying to remain positive on the song or let it grow on me. Not big on the dance beat drum machine sound. But this band often teamed journeys I’m not ready for musically from them. Sometimes they are hindsight hits for me. Some stay misses...but let the tune digest and set for awhile. Peace. 
    I totally heard a Talking Heads sound in it as well. 
    Very Talking Heads
  • Options
    YES, I DO
    JPPJ84 said:

I should have read this first, before making my earlier comment:

Jeff Ament had this to say about the single:

"I can’t tell you how proud I am about this group of songs. As you know, we took our time and that benefited us taking more chances. 'Dance' was a perfect storm of experimentation and real collaboration, mixing up the instrumentation and building a great song, and Ed writing some of my favorite words yet, around Matt’s killer drum pattern. Did I mention Mike’s insane guitar part and that Stone is playing bass on this one? We’ve opened some new doors creatively and that’s exciting."

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    YES, I DO
    JPPJ84 said:

There‘s a video around here with his radio introduction and explanations how the song came to be. Check it out, it’s really cool.
    found it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SI6hVmekhSc
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    Just listened to it with the video, works very well together. Still not sure overall 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    YES, I DO
    Let me upgrade my vote, I LOVE it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    YES, I DO
    I LOVE THE VIDEO
  • Options
    tyland42tyland42 Posts: 2
    edited January 2020
    YES, I DO
    Has anyone made a Talking Heads reference yet?  Trying to remain positive on the song or let it grow on me. Not big on the dance beat drum machine sound. But this band often teamed journeys I’m not ready for musically from them. Sometimes they are hindsight hits for me. Some stay misses...but let the tune digest and set for awhile. Peace. 
    Came here to say I immediately thought Talking Heads. 

Beginning/baseline reminds me of Dangerous by Big Data ft. Joywave.

Most of my current playlists have music that sounds very similar to this.

I haven't had this unique feeling since Riot Act.

I love it.
    Post edited by tyland42 on
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    YES, I DO
    I love it. It has a deep 80's Cure vibe to it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. I feel like they were stuck in a rut with their last few releases. This sounds different and awesome! Congrats on the new material PJ!!!!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    YES, I DO
    The mostly positive response to this is awesome. And I am so happy we are all discussing new Pearl Jam again!!!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    NO, I DON'T
    When did they become Coldplay?
  • Options
    YES, I DO
    hrd2imgn said:
    When they made a song called Speed of Sound.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    YES, I DO
    PJNB said:
    Thought it would be a 65 to 35 split
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    YES, I DO
    hrd2imgn said:
    Doesn't sound a thing like Coldplay. For starters, its pretty damn pessimistic whereas Coldplay makes the most inaccessibly optimistic music known to mankind. Like the kind of happiness one can only have if they had infinite amounts of 'fuck you' money from playing football stadiums night after night.
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    YES, I DO
    I like parts of it, not all.  I do want to see the lyrics. 
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    YES, I DO
    Such a great song. If I had one qualm, only one, I feel like the song should have faded out at the end instead of the hard stop, the final minute and a half is so entrancing and hypnotizing, a fade out would be really cool. However, perhaps the hard stop makes more sense in the context of the entire album, specifically the next song. It's hard to judge the ending in a vacuum.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020