Senior members

124»

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    mcgruff10 said:
    GA is always a better crowd up front.
    Based on what? Give me five legendary ga shows from 2013 until now that aren’t full album.  Ga excites people because you are close to the stage.  There was nothing wrong with reserved seating from 98-11.  
    Ga is nothing more than a cash grab by the band.  
    did the fenway shows in 2016 and 2018 suck because they were reserved?
    Cash grab? Seriously? 
    Ga= more new members and more tickets sold.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    edited January 2020
    There are scalpers who have joined 10C just to buy tickets. So they sign up a day or 2 before tour is announced. While I think the lottery is better than F5'ing during a sale, it does suck to see long time members shit out completely. People who have been in 20+ years should at least get in building with Priority #1, unless they pick GA only. Then each subsequent pick have same odds. My two cents. 
    Not in a fan club of any other band, but if I did join one now, I would not expect the same accommodations as someone who had been it for 15, 20, 30+ years. Just my 2 cents.
    Post edited by bosshogg18 on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Based on what? Give me five legendary ga shows from 2013 until now that aren’t full album.  Ga excites people because you are close to the stage.  There was nothing wrong with reserved seating from 98-11.  
    Cash grab? Seriously? 
    And more happiness :triumph:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cash grab? Seriously? 
    More tickets sold = more people get to see a great band, with the energy of GA that is fun  ;)
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Back in the late 90’s early 2000’s there was definitely a website we used that members would use to keep track of where they sat and what their number was and it was definitely related to seniority - either that or the most collective example of random coincidences of all time.

I’m for seniority now even though I lost mine when I forgot one year during a dark downward spiral in my life to renew!  

Seniority definitely mattered along w getting there early day of show.  

• KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    TN49724 said:
    Back in the late 90’s early 2000’s there was definitely a website we used that members would use to keep track of where they sat and what their number was and it was definitely related to seniority - either that or the most collective example of random coincidences of all time.

I’m for seniority now even though I lost mine when I forgot one year during a dark downward spiral in my life to renew!  

Wasn’t it called Touring Fan or something similar?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Kevinman said:
    TN49724 said:

Wasn’t it called Touring Fan or something similar?
    Yes, I believe that’s correct or very close.  After each show, ppl that attended would drop in the first 3 of their # like 133xxx and then say where their seats were.  Everyone used it as a reference on what to expect.  Was always very reliable
  • Seniority has never, not once, ever, mattered at the opportunity to get tickets. 

It only has only ever kicked in after a selection being granted.

I dont understand how this myth got started. Snopes should be on it!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    TN49724 said:

Nobody is arguing that seniority didn't matter for seat location. It always has. Obviously GA takes it out of the equation, but still comes into play for reserved seats.

It was originally used mostly to thwart scalpers from signing up when a tour was announced (along with having to pick up your tix at will call).

This weekend we rock Portland
    ComeToTX said:
    Poncier said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Poncier said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Member since ‘95 and I don’t feel that way even though back then your ability to get tix depended on seniority. 

Member longer than you, and your ability to get tickets has never depended on seniority.

No idea how this myth started and how it perpetuates.

Seniority has only and always come into play for determining seat locations.

In 1998 it did.

How so?

Please enlighten me.

1998 we mailed in index cards. Did they tear up the ones from new members?

My recollection was if there weren’t enough tickets they mailed your money order back. Maybe I’m remembering wrong. I was in HS after all. 

No need for attitude, man. It’s really not important. 

No attitude. Didn't use multiple exclamation points like so many have in other threads the past few days. Just trying to get the correct info out there.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cash grab? Seriously? 
    More tickets sold = more people get to see a great band, with the energy of GA that is fun  ;)
    Yeah let’s not pretend it was because of the first 20 rows being dead.  Still waiting for that show.  Oh yeah, Ed yelled at a guy at Vancouver during ole.  Yeah that song sucks and that was a lottery winner.  Dude probably had no clue what song it was. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    ComeToTX said:
    Poncier said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Poncier said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Member since ‘95 and I don’t feel that way even though back then your ability to get tix depended on seniority. 

Member longer than you, and your ability to get tickets has never depended on seniority.

No idea how this myth started and how it perpetuates.

Seniority has only and always come into play for determining seat locations.

In 1998 it did.

How so?

Please enlighten me.

1998 we mailed in index cards. Did they tear up the ones from new members?

My recollection was if there weren’t enough tickets they mailed your money order back. Maybe I’m remembering wrong. I was in HS after all. 

No need for attitude, man. It’s really not important. 

Oh and I think you are right about the possibility of money orders being sent back if they didn't have enough tickets, but that was based on when your order arrived in Seattle, why many members rushed out to get orders in the mail and some sent them priority mail.

Not sure if anyone actually got shut out back then as you could only buy a pair for the whole tour in 98 and 2000 though.

• VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    Members get tickets through the 10Club?! I’ve just been here for the soap opera. 🤣
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
    VOLARE said:
     I’ve just been here for the soap opera. 🤣
    Well worth the price of membership this week.
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,591
    If you have been in the club 25 years + it’s safe to say you should expect tickets. Survived 1 show a tour, waiting for best of block, F5, lottery and everything in between.

Risking tickets for GA is the major issue. There’s just not enough to go around. 20% chance isn’t worth it. 

I enjoyed the non GA shows with my relatively low # over the years. But at the end of the day if you want to go to a show you will find a way. Karma always plays a part as well. 
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I think all members should have the same chance. The lottery before and after TM is fine with me and I think the way it's done gets the most to all levels of members.  I continue with my membership so I can be "in" on whatever they have going on, tickets, goods seats of course based on my level, presage vinyl and rarities. There was the one member only at the house of blues with Robert Plant I missed cause I wasn't checking the site to get there. Maybe another time.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,665
    MG79478 said:
    Just because the club works the way it does, doesn't make it the best or correct way to do it.  It's just the most profitable way.  Since we can't have the old F5 system (which was the best), the way it currently works is optimal.  When I get 10C tickets it removes some of the more senior members from being in front of me.  If I don't get 10C tickets, I will simply get tickets elsewhere and be happy to be in the building. 

But to answer the OP's question... I'd imagine it's because of the loyalty.  Just like someone who's worked at a company for 30 years has EARNED more vacation than someone who started 2 years ago.  So why do you think that someone who hasn't been in the club very long is entitled to the same benefit as someone who has been in for xx years?
    But they don't get the same benefits since reserved seats are assigned by seniority
    I was talking about one single current benefit of 10C membership, specifically access to tickets. Seating by seniority is a different benefit of membership, one that is useless if you can't get tickets.
    gunda said:
    MG79478 said:
    Just because the club works the way it does, doesn't make it the best or correct way to do it.  It's just the most profitable way.  Since we can't have the old F5 system (which was the best), the way it currently works is optimal.  When I get 10C tickets it removes some of the more senior members from being in front of me.  If I don't get 10C tickets, I will simply get tickets elsewhere and be happy to be in the building. 

But to answer the OP's question... I'd imagine it's because of the loyalty.  Just like someone who's worked at a company for 30 years has EARNED more vacation than someone who started 2 years ago.  So why do you think that someone who hasn't been in the club very long is entitled to the same benefit as someone who has been in for xx years?
    I get the loyalty, that’s admirable. Do you deserve some perks? Yes. That’s your seat location. I believe everyone who pays their membership fees should get an equal chance. 
    Seat location is useless if you can't get tickets. So it's not much of a perk if you never get to use it.  Someone could go years without getting tickets... So the argument that people who've been in the club longer have received more benefit is silly.  I surely don't count a bunch of T-shirts I never wear (and my wife wants me to throw out).

Do you believe that someone who waited in line all day for GA admittance should get to enter the venue before someone who showed up 5 minutes before they opened the doors?  Or should there be a lottery to determine who gets to enter the venue first?
    I don't get why people the F5 system was the better system. I'd rather try my luck at the draw then sitting there getting stressed for an hour with time outs and pages that don't load or take forever just for the illusion that I'm in control of my destiny.

I have no problems with the current system. Of course most tours I'm only trying for 1 or 2 shows. 
    Why F5 was better... You could control your own destiny, or you could just let it be a lottery, it was the best of both worlds. Some of us were really good at F5, we did research on the ticket website, we enlisted the help of friends and family, we spent hours refreshing.  Many people, myself included, were 100% on the F5 system... and I was seeing a LOT of shows during those years, mostly in Northeast megalopolis where tickets are the most in demand.  For others who didn't put in the effort, it was essentially a lottery, some people got lucky, others didn't.  Those who really wanted to work for their tickets were rewarded, those who didn't want to put forth the effort got random results.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    I guess I'm considered a "senior" member....

Lots of gray hair
    A 10club member for 25+ years.
    Eligible for AARP membership for a few years now.

So I should get a discount on tickets and merch.
    Earlier slower ticket purchasing access.
    Early entrance to all shows so I have enough time to get to my seat.
    And all shows ending early enough that I can drive home for the 10 o'clock news.

Now get off my lawn
  • (Not directed at the old dude with a sense of humor above me)

The kids from 25 years ago would hate the grumpy versions of themselves they have become.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    There Juggler said:
    Because we've kept our membership up to date for over 20 years primarily for the privilege of obtaining Tenclub tickets. 

Now all you have to do is just sign up prior to the pre sale. 
    People shouldn't have to wait for you to die to get in the building.
    Yes they should. 
    :rofl:
    I mean...he couldn’t have set that up any better. Mr LaRue deserves all the credit here. 
    www.myspace.com
  • SH6224SH6224 Posts: 11
    AlaG said:
    Seniority determining seat location is an excellent and frankly somewhat unfair perk perpetuated by this club to keep your membership revolving year-over-year. While it does reward loyalty, it is mostly a revenue tactic. Aside from business strategy, the club cares about us all equally. As it should.
    Unfair or not, it's the main reason you keep paying. It's right in their advertising of it. lol. 
  • F5F5 Posts: 791
    Hail hail the lucky ones! :) I definitley envy long time fan club members but don't have strong opinions on this issue. I will say though one of the greatest PJ experiences I've ever had was going with a longtime fan club member (I think her number was like 52,xxx) to the to the Salt Lake show in '09. Sat 3rd row dead center! What a great experience. Super nice lady I met here on the forum. 
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I paid my dues over the years, YES I should get something for my seniority, and I still do.  The lottery for tickets is for any member, but I won the lottery for both shows I requested.  Therefore, I have better seats than any of you who have a higher member number than me.  And I have no problem with that whatsoever.