Shut out of 99% st. Louis?

Comments

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    You can't really compare it to previous years as TM is handling it now. Maybe TM uses only first priority for the odds.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I dont know why people have to be dicks about this. For the past 7 years if a show was 99%, it didnt matter about where the show was prioritized, everyone got tickets to a show that was 99%.  

Either the odds were improperly shown this time or ticketmaster is holding back tickets.  
    It's a legitimate concern. I tend to think the odds tool didn't work, but clearly something wasn't right. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Posts: 312
    mattcoz said:
    You can't really compare it to previous years as TM is handling it now. Maybe TM uses only first priority for the odds.
    If that's what they were doing, then I just wish they would have communicated it properly. I have no problem losing at the lotto if demand exceeds supply. As others have pointed out, prior lotteries basically guaranteed tickets to all priority levels if the final odds were 99%. We had no reason to believe this one would be any different. 
  • Was st. Louis actually 99%? I dont understand how a lot of us could be shut out of shows that were 99%.  There was no user error on my end, bc I scored for my first priority.  I had BA picked for st. Louis which was my 3rd priority and did not get reserved tickets.  The only thing i can think of was that the ending odds were not accurately shown at the time the lottery closed. 

Any thoughts? 
    I lost BA for STL as my 3rd priority as well, and yes the odds closed at 99%. The reason I lost is because it was my 3rd priority. All members who had STL at 1st or 2nd priority were put into the draw before me. So, by the time the third round started, many requests had already been filled, so odds were no longer at 99%.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

• JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    Was st. Louis actually 99%? I dont understand how a lot of us could be shut out of shows that were 99%.  There was no user error on my end, bc I scored for my first priority.  I had BA picked for st. Louis which was my 3rd priority and did not get reserved tickets.  The only thing i can think of was that the ending odds were not accurately shown at the time the lottery closed. 

Any thoughts? 
    I lost BA for STL as my 3rd priority as well, and yes the odds closed at 99%. The reason I lost is because it was my 3rd priority. All members who had STL at 1st or 2nd priority were put into the draw before me. So, by the time the third round started, many requests had already been filled, so odds were no longer at 99%.

I don't know about that. I take it as when the odds say 99%, those are ALL submittals, not first choice but what do I know
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    mattcoz said:
    Which is how TICKETSTODAY has handled DMB for many years; you select a single priority show
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 966
    edited January 2020
    keep in mind, we are mainly only hearing of the few who lost out. It's a bummer for sure. I would be in deep depression. Me personally, I thought it was awesome. Got all the shows I put in for myself and son. I want to "thank" 10C! Couldn't had been any easier and was an awesome lottery. Point is, because some feel they got screwed, thousands didn't. 
  • Unless the odds dropped after the closed odds of 99%, Ireally think ticketmaster is withholding tickets.  
    Lets see how many resale tickets are on TM on/after Friday.
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    wall232 said:
    I don’t think the odds updated correctly, I’ve never seen so many people lose out on a 99% chance regardless of what priority their picks were. 

Yes the odds were clearly not represented correctly.  99% must have only considered priority 1 entries or something.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Jason7192 said:
    mattcoz said:
    If that's what they were doing, then I just wish they would have communicated it properly. I have no problem losing at the lotto if demand exceeds supply. As others have pointed out, prior lotteries basically guaranteed tickets to all priority levels if the final odds were 99%. We had no reason to believe this one would be any different. 
    Absolutely, communication has always been terrible about these lotteries. We've just been left to make guesses about how it all works and we have no idea if it changes at all from year to year.
  • WildFlyWildFly Posts: 212
    I just would like to know how you get shut out on second priority St. Louis BA, and I have seen some receiving confirmation for the same show on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th priority.  I am not complaining at all but would just like to know how this happens.
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Posts: 312
    WildFly said:
    I just would like to know how you get shut out on second priority St. Louis BA, and I have seen some receiving confirmation for the same show on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th priority.  I am not complaining at all but would just like to know how this happens.
    FWIW, I haven't seen anyone claiming they won STL with 3rd priority or worse. Maybe I missed something though.
  • CG658530CG658530 Posts: 187
    I think someone explained how the draw works, and the 99% is based on first choice. So the draw happens like this:

Anyone who lists a top priority has that % chance of getting tickets. Then any remaining tickets left go to the people who put the show as second priority. Any remaining tickets from those who got tickets from second priority then go to those with who list the show as third priority. This ultimately means that if anything is less than 99% (basically meaning 100%) and is not your #1 priority, you probably aren't getting tickets. 

Imagine, just to make it simple, there are 1000 seats available and every seat goes to 10club members. 500 people put the show as top priority. They're all going to get tickets. So that's 500 left. Now imagine 400 people put the show as second priority. Because there are still 500 tickets left, those 400 will get tickets. Now let's say 300 people put the show third priority, because there are only 100 seats left, 200 people will be shut out. 

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. If anyone got tickets with a second priority less than 99%, let me know, and I'd have to readjust how I think the draw works. 
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    Does it make sense STL would be in high demand? (I don't know, Canadian here). Based on the various threads it seems like STL has most rejections after MSG and BAL....would STL be expected to have similar demand to those obvious high demand NE shows?

From what I followed of the results, the Canadian shows seemed to go ok (and I got my 3 out of 3 :)) as did the Cali shows etc. But something definitely seems off with STL (and NSH).

All the speculation about how the odds and how priorities worked is....just speculation (and in contradiction to how TM/10C said it would work). I chose to believe things were setup and run as they said, but certainly seems to be some anomalies (even after the very significant number of user error entries).  Like everyone else, I hope some info comes out....but I'm not holding my breath.  
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Does it make sense STL would be in high demand? (I don't know, Canadian here). Based on the various threads it seems like STL has most rejections after MSG and BAL....would STL be expected to have similar demand to those obvious high demand NE shows?

From what I followed of the results, the Canadian shows seemed to go ok (and I got my 3 out of 3 :)) as did the Cali shows etc. But something definitely seems off with STL (and NSH).

All the speculation about how the odds and how priorities worked is....just speculation (and in contradiction to how TM/10C said it would work). I chose to believe things were setup and run as they said, but certainly seems to be some anomalies (even after the very significant number of user error entries).  Like everyone else, I hope some info comes out....but I'm not holding my breath.  
    Its a Saturday night, and sort of close to a couple major cites with very short flights, Kansas City, Chicago, Indianapolis that all did not get shows this spring.  I'm sure people thought it was easier than everyone trying for the only two shows in the Northeast that were also on a weekend.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794

It's a weekend show in the middle of the country. I thought it would be high demand all along. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    WildFly said:
    Might depend on if you won with your 1st priority or not. So if you won your 1st, your 2nd priority could be lower than someone's 3rd priority who lost their 1st and 2nd. I don't know if it actually works that way, but I think it would be fair.
  • ajflickerajflicker Posts: 166
    CG658530 said:
    I think someone explained how the draw works, and the 99% is based on first choice. So the draw happens like this:

Anyone who lists a top priority has that % chance of getting tickets. Then any remaining tickets left go to the people who put the show as second priority. Any remaining tickets from those who got tickets from second priority then go to those with who list the show as third priority. This ultimately means that if anything is less than 99% (basically meaning 100%) and is not your #1 priority, you probably aren't getting tickets. 

Imagine, just to make it simple, there are 1000 seats available and every seat goes to 10club members. 500 people put the show as top priority. They're all going to get tickets. So that's 500 left. Now imagine 400 people put the show as second priority. Because there are still 500 tickets left, those 400 will get tickets. Now let's say 300 people put the show third priority, because there are only 100 seats left, 200 people will be shut out. 

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. If anyone got tickets with a second priority less than 99%, let me know, and I'd have to readjust how I think the draw works. 
    That's how I understood it to work too. The only way I could see you missing out on #1 priority is if you put GA only.
  • Does it make sense STL would be in high demand? (I don't know, Canadian here). Based on the various threads it seems like STL has most rejections after MSG and BAL....would STL be expected to have similar demand to those obvious high demand NE shows?

We added STL at the last minute because it is a Sat. night. I think that is a huge draw for many fans.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

know1 said:

It's a weekend show in the middle of the country. I thought it would be high demand all along. 
    I overlooked the Saturday factor, good point. Would have thought demand on par with Toronto though (easily highest of the Canadian shows, and suspect many with both CDN and US requests had TO high) - and I (gratefully) won TO with 3rd priority. 
    Barrie - '98
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • I overlooked the Saturday factor, good point. Would have thought demand on par with Toronto though (easily highest of the Canadian shows, and suspect many with both CDN and US requests had TO high) - and I (gratefully) won TO with 3rd priority. 
    What were your first and second priorities? I'm guessing you went in as BA for all?
    I won TO as first (and only) priority on my Canada submission. Lost STL as third priority on my US submission after losing both Balt & MSG. (all BA) Had we have to submit both Canada & US shows in one entry, no doubt I would have walked away with nothing.

• KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    ajflicker said:
    CG658530 said:

That's how I understood it to work too. The only way I could see you missing out on #1 priority is if you put GA only.
    Agree
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago

Chicago area alone is over 9 million people.  Now figure in Indy, Milwaukee, KC.  Easy for all locations on Saturday night.
    St Louis is not a small town either.

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    What were your first and second priorities? I'm guessing you went in as BA for all?
    I won TO as first (and only) priority on my Canada submission. Lost STL as third priority on my US submission after losing both Balt & MSG. (all BA) Had we have to submit both Canada & US shows in one entry, no doubt I would have walked away with nothing.
    HAM, OTT, TO all BA (hope/think HAM won GA). And ya, the splitting Cdn and US certainly advantage for those willing to cross the border. Glad to hear you got 1 at least. 
    Barrie - '98
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    dutz054 said:
    Odds given are for #1 priority shows only, anything below that are substantially less odds
    Absolutely false. 
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Did everyone catch the fine print that your first names needed to be exact matches on 10C and Ticketmaster accounts? I checked and mine didn't match. I've never gone by my real first name. This was obviously not the case for prior tours. Made the change to make them match before I put in requests and got confirmation emails for both shows I put in for! Now just waiting for the 27th to see if I got GA or Reserved!
    Dercheef said:
    dutz054 said:
    Odds given are for #1 priority shows only, anything below that are substantially less odds
    Absolutely false. 
    Show me where it says this is NOT true please.

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    Kevinman said:
    Dercheef said:
    dutz054 said:
    Absolutely false. 
    "The purpose of this tool is to show you the odds of being selected for a given show. The odds are calculated based on the number of entrants versus the number of tickets available" Source: https://help.pearljam.com/hc/en-us/articles/205143590-Pre-sale-Drawing
    There is nothing in there to suggest this would only apply to #1 prioritys. And past experiences have this to be proven 100% true. I cannot remember people complaining about getting shut out of gigs with their higher prioritys when odds were at 99%. This time it seems that something was off but this could be down to an error or the odds not being updated every 5 minutes like they got for past drawings. You on the other hand have nothing to back your theory up. 
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
    Dercheef said:
    Kevinman said:
    Dercheef said:
    dutz054 said:
    Absolutely false. 
    "The purpose of this tool is to show you the odds of being selected for a given show. The odds are calculated based on the number of entrants versus the number of tickets available" Source: https://help.pearljam.com/hc/en-us/articles/205143590-Pre-sale-Drawing
    There is nothing in there to suggest this would only apply to #1 prioritys. And past experiences have this to be proven 100% true. I cannot remember people complaining about getting shut out of gigs with their higher prioritys when odds were at 99%. This time it seems that something was off but this could be down to an error or the odds not being updated every 5 minutes like they got for past drawings. You on the other hand have nothing to back your theory up. 
    There is nothing in there to suggest it wouldn't either.
  • Dercheef said:
    Kevinman said:
    Dercheef said:
    dutz054 said:
    Absolutely false. 
    Thank you.