Gigaton = 11th Studio Album by Pearl Jam

Comments

• bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    Maybe because it’s encouraging people to go outside that it helps the environment ??? Gotta drive to the place tho. 🤔🤔🤔🤔
    Do you? Haven't you heard of quaxing (kind of)?
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Given the environmental angle of the possible title and artwork does anyone think that this could be the first Pearl Jam album not to be released in a physical format. As much of a collector that I am, I would have thought it would be an impressive and bold move by a band who usually produce a lot of physical product. 

I look at the thousands of records I have and think of the environmental impact of them being manufactured and contemplate stopping buying physical stuff.
  • philobeddoephilobeddoe Posts: 195
    edited January 2020
    FR181798 said:
    Given the environmental angle of the possible title and artwork does anyone think that this could be the first Pearl Jam album not to be released in a physical format. As much of a collector that I am, I would have thought it would be an impressive and bold move by a band who usually produce a lot of physical product. 

I look at the thousands of records I have and think of the environmental impact of them being manufactured and contemplate stopping buying physical stuff.
    https://www.macobserver.com/link/environment-study-digital-physical-music/
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212827119301040
    Post edited by philobeddoe on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Yeah right.  This things coming out on CD, black vinyl, colored vinyl, reel to reel, probably collectible 8 track too. 
  • Yeah right.  This things coming out on CD, black vinyl, colored vinyl, reel to reel, probably collectible 8 track too. 
    Don't forget the Super Deluxe Edition Mini-Disc.
  • Yeah right.  This things coming out on CD, black vinyl, colored vinyl, reel to reel, probably collectible 8 track too. 
    This is hilarious! One of the greatest responses I’ve ever read on this board.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    speaking of environmental impact, can you imagine what would happen to this place if pj pulled a coldplay and said "sorry, no shows"?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

FR181798 said:

https://www.macobserver.com/link/environment-study-digital-physical-music/
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212827119301040
    Hmm interesting... thanks for posting, I would have assumed that physical is more harmful. I think what they are missing in these articles is that most people who buy vinyl for example also use digital services as well and buy to collect rather than just play their physical copy over and over. I will read more into it.

Yeah right.  This things coming out on CD, black vinyl, colored vinyl, reel to reel, probably collectible 8 track too. 
    This is hilarious! One of the greatest responses I’ve ever read on this board.

Ive commented on other music boards about the ridiculous numbers of variations/ formats bands do etc. I fully recognise that the band will probably do this but can you imagine if they do 6 vinyl versions of this. We will have the rabid pj collectors (myself included) buying every variation going. What is the environmental impact of that. Its just a conversation starter thats all.
  • My wife seems to think that the three marker image that they released is supposed to be a raindrop, a flame and a deer hoof. The last one connects the dots in coordination with the latest Ten Club shirt release. Gigaton is a climate change album that absolutely must have Of The Earth on it
    Interesting thought. 

• Please have mercy on my nonexistent soul and tell me what this is--I am not on social media anymore.
    I"m in Seattle and Google maps cannot identify a location for this.
    The photo looks like there is a giant poster there and if so I REALLY want to go see it.
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,416
    edited January 2020
    Please have mercy on my nonexistent soul and tell me what this is--I am not on social media anymore.
    I"m in Seattle and Google maps cannot identify a location for this.
    The photo looks like there is a giant poster there and if so I REALLY want to go see it.
    It is around Vine and 1st
  • Will it be obvious? And thank you!
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I don’t believe you. You didn’t mention laser disc or cassette. And the hologram version that shoots the image of the band playing the album live wherever you are. Ok, I would buy that. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    I just read somewhere that gigaton spelled/spelt backwards is “not a gig.”
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    Will it be obvious? And thank you!
    There are pictures somewhere on this forum. Big poster (in a parking lot??)
  • oh there is a new album??and i thought they still rehearsal new songs!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • silvosilvo Posts: 293
    oh there is a new album??and i thought they still rehearsal new songs!!
     B) 
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    lol
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    😁😁
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805

This should be made into a t-shirt.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• I for one love the album cover art if it is in fact the album cover or if it is in fact an album or if it is in fact a single or if it is in fact an announcement or if it is in fact...

Gigaton 2020, worth the wait!

Or what if.... ;)
  • I too am intrigued.
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    Seems clear to me that these billboards are ads for a new Pearl Jam album called Gigaton, aimed at the general public, and to get people  and the news talking about it they added in an augmented reality aspect and promoted that part in a mysterious cryptic way to their most fervent fans. Good marketing IMO.
    verceman said:
    Seems clear to me that these billboards are ads for a new Pearl Jam album called Gigaton, aimed at the general public, and to get people  and the news talking about it they added in an augmented reality aspect and promoted that part in a mysterious cryptic way to their most fervent fans. Good marketing IMO.
    Although if I were in charge of the marketing I would have put the word "PEARL JAM" in the billboards.🤷‍♂️
    verceman said:
    verceman said:
    Although if I were in charge of the marketing I would have put the word "PEARL JAM" in the billboards.🤷‍♂️
    Like, I would have done it backwards  and put "Pearl Jam" in the heartbeats on the billboards for the general public to see and then when fans used the AR it would show the album name Gigaton as the Easter egg, in other words to find out the album name you need the lens not the other way around where the lens shows Pearl Jam.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    verceman said:
    verceman said:
    verceman said:
    Like, I would have done it backwards  and put "Pearl Jam" in the heartbeats on the billboards for the general public to see and then when fans used the AR it would show the album name Gigaton as the Easter egg, in other words to find out the album name you need the lens not the other way around where the lens shows Pearl Jam.
    I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know how long they've been up for? I like the fact that you need the lens to reveal it's Pearl Jam. We could have been walking by that thing for weeks and had no idea it was Pearl Jam related.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,738
    Yeah, I like that it didn't reveal Pearl Jam on the boards. That would have spoiled it. 

I too am curious as to how long they've been up. Probably sometime this past week. I wouldn't be surprised that when the album is officially announced to the media, if these billboards get an update advertising the release date and saying that its the new album from PJ.

• lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,003
    Love it!  =)
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA