Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

2020 Fall North American rumour thread

1434445464749»

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios canadaPosts: 64,122
    PJNB said:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/anita-anand-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1.5867870

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says Canada doesn't need to approve additional vaccine candidates to meet its goal of inoculating everyone who wants a COVID-19 shot by September and that its target could be reached ahead of schedule. 

Canada gave the green light to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's messenger RNA vaccines last month, but independent regulators are still reviewing other candidates, such as the AstraZeneca-Oxford product.

"Prior to Christmas ... we exercised 20 million options of Moderna. So that allows us to have 40 million doses of Moderna now in addition to our 20 million Pfizer doses," Anand said on Sunday in an interview on Rosemary Barton Live. "That allows us to hit about 30 million Canadians."

Both vaccines must be administered twice. 

Under the contracts it has signed, Ottawa can still receive up to 56 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Anand told CBC Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton that discussions are ongoing to exercise that option.

"We will be on track, without doubt, to ensure inoculations for all Canadians who want it by the end of September, if not sooner," she said. "That is the goal that I am pursuing every single day, moving up that end of September timeline so that we can see ourselves through to the other side of this pandemic as quickly as possible."

Bring on the fall Canadian tour. :wink:

Let us all hope!
  • PJNBPJNB New BrunswickPosts: 7,911
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/anita-anand-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1.5867870

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says Canada doesn't need to approve additional vaccine candidates to meet its goal of inoculating everyone who wants a COVID-19 shot by September and that its target could be reached ahead of schedule. 

Canada gave the green light to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's messenger RNA vaccines last month, but independent regulators are still reviewing other candidates, such as the AstraZeneca-Oxford product.

"Prior to Christmas ... we exercised 20 million options of Moderna. So that allows us to have 40 million doses of Moderna now in addition to our 20 million Pfizer doses," Anand said on Sunday in an interview on Rosemary Barton Live. "That allows us to hit about 30 million Canadians."

Both vaccines must be administered twice. 

Under the contracts it has signed, Ottawa can still receive up to 56 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Anand told CBC Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton that discussions are ongoing to exercise that option.

"We will be on track, without doubt, to ensure inoculations for all Canadians who want it by the end of September, if not sooner," she said. "That is the goal that I am pursuing every single day, moving up that end of September timeline so that we can see ourselves through to the other side of this pandemic as quickly as possible."

Bring on the fall Canadian tour. :wink:

Let us all hope!
    I am really hoping right now Canada in November are the first shows of this tour. Cross Canada tour then the states in the spring 2022/Europe summer 2022/States again in the fall 2022. Australia and SA in 2023. That is the best case scenario right now I think. 
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2
    2016 Quebec, Toronto 2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 2
    2018 Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Seattle 2, Wrigley 2, Fenway 1&2 

EV
    2017 Firenze, Taormina 1 & 2
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 5,459
    edited January 15
    The world has to be safe before they travel. Even if it's just 15 shows in the USA, those are still super-spreader events with a potential to spread COVID globally.

They won't do anything until the world is safe...and I'd like to think people understand that, but I'm not sure everyone does.

There is a totally unconfirmed rumor that Europe won't happen this year.

I can see small, local clubs/bars definitely doing stuff this year...stuff like 1000-2000 capacity and bands that don't have traveling fans. Bigger stuff? It's good news that NBA/NHL arenas are going to have fans soon, but those are a far cry from sold-out shows with fans who travel all over the world.

And as far as testing goes? How does anyone know that someone will stay entirely isolated after receiving mutiple tests? They'd have to stay at home and the rest of their family would also have to stay at home. Nobody in or out.

Next-day edit:
    Maybe not totally unconfirmed:
    https://www.pearljamonline.it/en/pearl-jam-will-postpone-their-euro-tour-2021/
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    The world has to be safe before they travel. Even if it's just 15 shows in the USA, those are still super-spreader events with a potential to spread COVID globally.

They won't do anything until the world is safe...and I'd like to think people understand that, but I'm not sure everyone does.

I can see small, local clubs/bars definitely doing stuff this year...stuff like 1000-2000 capacity and bands that don't have traveling fans. Bigger stuff? It's good news that NBA/NHL arenas are going to have fans soon, but those are a far cry from sold-out shows with fans who travel all over the world.

And as far as testing goes? How does anyone know that someone will stay entirely isolated after receiving mutiple tests? They'd have to stay at home and the rest of their family would also have to stay at home. Nobody in or out.

Next-day edit:
    If we hit a spot this fall, which I think we will, that everyone who wants to get vaccinated is vaccinated what then? How can we do better than that? What are we waiting for at that point to move ahead with normalcy if the hospitals are stabilized and everyone that is in the high risk has been taken care of? 

Fauci thinks that Bidens first 100 days there can be 100 million vaccinations. That is 50 Million people vaccinated many being the most vulnerable. This summer it will speed up even more. At that point when you include kids and certain adults with conditions that will not allow them to get the vaccine this is pretty close to as good as we are going to get. I honestly will be surprised if the US is even able to get to half of its population vaccinated when you take those groups as well as anitvaxxers into the equation. I ask again then what?

Peoples fears and conditioning from this virus and lockdowns is real but at some point they need to either let go of those fears and return to normalcy or let it consume them and take over their lives. 
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2

EV
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 331
    PJNB said:

Next-day edit:
    If we hit a spot this fall, which I think we will, that everyone who wants to get vaccinated is vaccinated what then? How can we do better than that? What are we waiting for at that point to move ahead with normalcy if the hospitals are stabilized and everyone that is in the high risk has been taken care of? 

Fauci thinks that Bidens first 100 days there can be 100 million vaccinations. That is 50 Million people vaccinated many being the most vulnerable. This summer it will speed up even more. At that point when you include kids and certain adults with conditions that will not allow them to get the vaccine this is pretty close to as good as we are going to get. I honestly will be surprised if the US is even able to get to half of its population vaccinated when you take those groups as well as anitvaxxers into the equation. I ask again then what?

Peoples fears and conditioning from this virus and lockdowns is real but at some point they need to either let go of those fears and return to normalcy or let it consume them and take over their lives. 
    I agree. The correctional facility I work at made the vaccine available to all of our staff last Saturday. Only 35% got it. If that is indicative of the rest of the nation, then at what point do we have to consider moving forward without true herd immunity? The current situation can't be kept indefinitely. 
  • PJNB said:

Next-day edit:

Vaccines are only 1 part of this though. Think about how many people travel to concerts. Each venue and artist will have to establish rules and a baseline for who can attend. That becomes a slippery slope and to me that is going to take a lot of time to figure out to avoid any liability issues that may come up
    edited January 15
    PJNB said:

Next-day edit:

Vaccines are only 1 part of this though. Think about how many people travel to concerts. Each venue and artist will have to establish rules and a baseline for who can attend. That becomes a slippery slope and to me that is going to take a lot of time to figure out to avoid any liability issues that may come up
    It maybe only 1 part of this but it is "the" part that matters. There will be no rules or baseline on who can and cannot attend a show. That is not where we are going to be heading with regards to Pearl Jam concerts. 

If the nation that is hosting the concert says they have vaccinated every willing person that they can then you can not get any better than that as far as I am concerned aside from a mandatory vaccination program which we are not heading to. After that their is no liability issues for anyone other than those that refused the vaccine which lies on themselves. If you factor in others travelling in from other countries that is up to the government to allow or not allow. If we are able to have concerts again then we will have open borders again with it so it will be a non issue. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2

EV