Options

2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,572
    Never been to Pittsburgh and I’ve been waiting for a PJ show to visit. I hope they make it back when safe. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/09/09/pearl-jam-going-play-milwaukee-and-madison-fall-bassist-jeff-ament-reveals-rolling-stone/5757646002/

Two shows in Wisconsin
    At least two in Pennsylvania and maybe three if they did two in Philly.
    At least one in Ohio...the rumors were Columbus or Cleveland, but not both.
    There were rumors about two in Chicago at a place not named Wrigley Field.

Maybe a return trip to NYC since they couldn't get two in MSG?

Boston? Hartford?

We know Seattle was out.
    More or less falls in line with the predictions of hitting swing states/midwest before the election.

That being said... dammit it’d be nice to hear concert news again
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    ComeToTX said:
    Never been to Pittsburgh and I’ve been waiting for a PJ show to visit. I hope they make it back when safe. 
    My hotel was booked.  I held out hope until the middle of August before canceling my reservation. :(
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,201
    edited September 2020
    Well Celine Dion has scheduled Aug/Sept. 2021 NA dates.  
    Post edited by RatherStarved on
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    I can see that being Pearl Jam 2021 too. Late August to early November though is my bet with Canada ending the tour. 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    One Ohio show in the last 10 years.  Glad to hear that it was at least on their radar.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    Best.Day.Ever. Canadian Treasure 
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I can see that being Pearl Jam 2021 too. Late August to early November though is my bet with Canada ending the tour. 
    Does the US not being allowed in anywhere change your opinion?  Including canada. 

I ask because i think the US is a large part of attendance, regardless of where the show is, including Europe. 
  • Options
    Was there a rumor about Eddie doing a solo thing at Global Citizen Festival on Saturday 9/26 or am I totally misremembering?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,771
    edited September 2020
    One Ohio show in the last 10 years.  Glad to hear that it was at least on their radar.  

Look at how much they (haven't) toured the Midwest lately.

Have they really only done seven US shows since their last song at Wrigley 2016? That's almost one show per year at this point.

May 2010 two shows in Ohio.
    Fall 2013...they did that big U-shaped tour and Pittsburgh isn't far from Ohio, but Ohio wasn't even on the band's "rumored list" then.
    October 2014 one show in Ohio and it's practically Kentucky down there.
    2015...what, like 2-3 US festivals, right?
    2016...largely east coast and a few other dates and Wrigley.
    2017...one appearance.
    2018...Home/Away
    2019...A big fat nothing.
    2020...rumored for one show until another big fat global nothing.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    To me it felt like PJ sort of started to settle into a Stones type touring thing.  Where you go out and play a modest amount dates, sometimes you take a year off.  Never insanely big tours or any thing.   I do think it's moderately misleading as it seemed they were about to do a fairly extensive tour to support Gigaton (including additional fall dates, to the shows that got postponed).   With Covid happening right after a year off, that's insanely bad luck :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    To me it felt like PJ sort of started to settle into a Stones type touring thing.  Where you go out and play a modest amount dates, sometimes you take a year off.  Never insanely big tours or any thing.   I do think it's moderately misleading as it seemed they were about to do a fairly extensive tour to support Gigaton (including additional fall dates, to the shows that got postponed).   With Covid happening right after a year off, that's insanely bad luck :(

In the early 90s, they basically had to tour to sell tickets and stay relevant.

2003 or 2006 or so was probably one of the last "real tours" they did...which was right as they got out of their deal with Sony/Epic and begun to do things their own way. Backspacer came out and they did the 2009/2010 tours and then we got the PJ20 stuff along with a Brad tour and a ton of other side projects.

But yeah, this was just bad luck. Part of me still thinks that when Chris died in 2017, that pushed stuff back. Soundgarden would have toured. Jeff had his book that year. Eddie went on tour in Europe...but what happened after Eddie got back from Europe? I don't want to play a blame game, but we're all left wondering what could have happened later in 2017 if Chris didn't die.

Can't Deny Me came out in March of 2018 off the then-forthcoming album.

If they didn't press that reset button, maybe they do a lot more USA in 2018 and even 2019 then they hit up Australia/New Zealand in the first two months, back to Europe over June/July and more USA in late 2019.

Instead, we had to wait about two years from CDM to Gigaton.

Something happened there. Something big.
  • Options
    Zod said:

In the early 90s, they basically had to tour to sell tickets and stay relevant.

2003 or 2006 or so was probably one of the last "real tours" they did...which was right as they got out of their deal with Sony/Epic and begun to do things their own way. Backspacer came out and they did the 2009/2010 tours and then we got the PJ20 stuff along with a Brad tour and a ton of other side projects.

But yeah, this was just bad luck. Part of me still thinks that when Chris died in 2017, that pushed stuff back. Soundgarden would have toured. Jeff had his book that year. Eddie went on tour in Europe...but what happened after Eddie got back from Europe? I don't want to play a blame game, but we're all left wondering what could have happened later in 2017 if Chris didn't die.

Can't Deny Me came out in March of 2018 off the then-forthcoming album.

If they didn't press that reset button, maybe they do a lot more USA in 2018 and even 2019 then they hit up Australia/New Zealand in the first two months, back to Europe over June/July and more USA in late 2019.

Instead, we had to wait about two years from CDM to Gigaton.

Something happened there. Something big.

Yah, you do get the feeling that they took a step back when Chris Cornell passed away.   Maybe it took all or some of them a bit to work through that.   Then when they were ready to go again, they hit the start over button the album.

I feel like PJ toured heavily in the early 90s because they were young and that's what you do.   You read any biography and the label is pushing you to do album release/tour cycles.    I think slowing down on tour dates was part of their whole mid(ish) 90s pull back thing.  Even when they sorted it out by the Yield tour, they seemed to find a cycle of doing 3 legs every 2 or 3 years.   2 NA legs, and an international leg.  They seem like big tours now, but they were actually pretty small compared to their peers (many bands would go out and tour 2 years straight after an album drop).   PJ does seem to have rubbed off on other bands now (or maybe it's because their all getting older).   I'm noticing a fair number of the remaining arena/stadium sized rock acts were settling into a leg or two a year (month or two of touring kind of thing).  I suppose PJ didn't invent it, but it probably helps go the distance when it comes to longevity of a band.   Being on the road is that hardest part of that job.   Been watching documentaries from other musicians at the lengths they go to to make the travel aspect of touring tolerable.    Many bands will setup a hub where their families are at.  Like in Paris or something.  Then after every Euro show they fly back to the hub, so they can stay in one place and have families to go back too.  Create a bit of normalcy while on the road.    It's interesting watching musicians talk about it openly.   They all pretty much say the same thing.   It's amazing at the beginning, you get to see the whole world, but after a while it spirals out of control.

It's a bit a of a bummer we got so few PJ shows over the past however many years, and that Covid hit the brakes right when they were about to start doing a bunch of them.   I am glad the band has (mostly) figured out what works for them.  Hopefully it means we continue to get tours for a while.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    You mentioned something about cutting back on touring helped with longetiviy. I think that was even mentioned by a band member in a documentary or maybe at a show.

And yeah, I think I read something about Pearl Jam being based out of Orlando for their Florida shows back in 2016. It may be a bit more travel, but it's gotta beat packing the bags every damn night. They can easily get a private jet while their road crew packs the trucks.

Back in 2003 in Columbus, Eddie mentioned starting the day in Chicago. It's clearly audible during the first encore break right before (I think) Given To Fly.

I remembered that just now and that made me think.

June 18th -- Chicago
    June 19th -- Cincinnati (Canceled for flooding)
    June 21st -- East Troy
    June 22nd -- Noblesville (aka Indianapolis)
    June 24th -- Columbus
    June 25th -- Clarkston (aka Detroit)
    June 26th -- Clarkston

If you want to go THAT route, the Cubs were in Cincinnati from the 16th to the 19th and then in Chicago from the 20th to the 23rd and from the 26th to the 29th. The Cubs @ Cincinnati on the 19th was played.

Hmmmm...
  • Options
    May 2010 two shows in Ohio.
    Fall 2013...they did that big U-shaped tour and Pittsburgh isn't far from Ohio, but Ohio wasn't even on the band's "rumored list" then.
    October 2014 one show in Ohio and it's practically Kentucky down there.
    2015...what, like 2-3 US festivals, right?
    2016...largely east coast and a few other dates and Wrigley.
    2017...one appearance.
    2018...Home/Away
    2019...A big fat nothing.
    2020...rumored for one show until another big fat global nothing.

Addendum:

We only got many of the USA 2016 shows because the attacks in Paris in 2015 caused the Euro 2016 tour to not be announced.

I bet that many of those USA shows don't happen if the attacks don't happen.
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,016

Addendum:

We only got many of the USA 2016 shows because the attacks in Paris in 2015 caused the Euro 2016 tour to not be announced.

Maybe true for the summer 2016 shows, but incorrect for the spring 2016 North American tour.  That tour was locked in by Oct 2015 and there were rumours of it being announced even in October but the announcement kept getting pushed back (it was also supposed to be announced in December at one point).  Pre-Paris attack the band was to do North America Apr/May, Europe June/July.  
    The Bonaroo show also popped up sometime in November or December as a headliner they had booked bailed with only a few weeks until the festival was announced.

All this to say, spring North America 2016 was happening regardless of attack in Paris.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Ryan said:

Addendum:

Maybe true for the summer 2016 shows, but incorrect for the spring 2016 North American tour.  That tour was locked in by Oct 2015 and there were rumours of it being announced even in October but the announcement kept getting pushed back (it was also supposed to be announced in December at one point).  Pre-Paris attack the band was to do North America Apr/May, Europe June/July.  
    The Bonaroo show also popped up sometime in November or December as a headliner they had booked bailed with only a few weeks until the festival was announced.

All this to say, spring North America 2016 was happening regardless of attack in Paris.
    Ya I had my Quebec City hotel booked for the NA tour before the attack even happened. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,827
    Was there a rumor about Eddie doing a solo thing at Global Citizen Festival on Saturday 9/26 or am I totally misremembering?

• Options
    demetrios said:

Which obviously wouldn't have happened with the fall USA tour...unless if it was some sort of video stream from Ohana.

It'd be great if they could release the dates anyway, just so we could see them under a "Here's what could have been" situation.

I feel like today, 9/22 would have been the Columbus/Cleveland show. Ugh. Maybe next year for their second Ohio show since 5/10/2010, which was the day after Cleveland 2010.
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 527
    I will always be curious and somewhat fascinated about the Can’t Deny Me release and “forth coming” album note in 2018. But Gigaton two years later. Brendan O’Brien swapped for Josh Evans. And no shows from 9/4/2018 through (what was supposed to be) 3/18/2020. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    DM282158 said:
    I will always be curious and somewhat fascinated about the Can’t Deny Me release and “forth coming” album note in 2018. But Gigaton two years later. Brendan O’Brien swapped for Josh Evans. And no shows from 9/4/2018 through (what was supposed to be) 3/18/2020. 
    It seemed like they went into the studio a few times but were struggling with creativity.  It feels like they scrapped whatever they got from those sessions and started over.

I'm guessing 2019 ended up being a year off, and a time to record Gigaton.   They had no idea 2020 was going to get scrapped due to a pandemic :(
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    DM282158 said:

When did the Europe tour get announced?

I wonder if the original plan was essentially repeat 2013 with a South American tour, then album release and then a North American tour. When they released they needed more time, announce Europe and hope for early 2019.

When they realized that 2018 wasn't going to happen as planned, then announce Home/Away. Some time in 2018, they got that "oh crap" sinking feeling and then Eddie hit us with the "it's gonna be a while" statement at Fenway.

Going from September 2018 to... Summer 2020? Fall 2020? Whenever the next show is...if someone was born during the last PJ show, they could almost be damn well out of diapers by the next show.
  • Options
    All this week on Pearl Jam Radio, they're playing #PJVotes week. Stone says they're past shows from "states we hoped to visit this fall."

Read into this if you want, but right now and at other times this week, they're playing 8/6/2000 from Greensboro, NC.
  • Options
    All this week on Pearl Jam Radio, they're playing #PJVotes week. Stone says they're past shows from "states we hoped to visit this fall."

Read into this if you want, but right now and at other times this week, they're playing 8/6/2000 from Greensboro, NC.
    Pretty sure they’ve played Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan and Florida boots this week as well.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    There’s no doubt this Fall leg would have been a banger. 
  • Options

Pretty sure they’ve played Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan and Florida boots this week as well.

They used to tweet and Facebook their show schedules. I've definitely heard the "Ice Bowl" and Detroit 2014 this week.
  • Options
    Tonight they’re playing a boot from Minnesota. There’s a whole thread somewhere on here that would have been over the moon.

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,827

They used to tweet and Facebook their show schedules. I've definitely heard the "Ice Bowl" and Detroit 2014 this week.

PJ VOTES CONCERT SCHEDULE – WEEK OF 9/21/20 PICKED BY THE BAND

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 21
    12am State College, PA 5/3/03
    2pm E. Troy, WI 10/8/00
    7pm Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 22
    12am W. Palm Beach, FL 4/11/03
    7am St. Paul, MN 6/16/03
    2pm Phoenix, AZ 11/19/13
    WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 23
    12am Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    7am State College, PA 5/3/03
    2pm Greensboro, NC 8/6/00
    THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 24
    12am Phoenix, AZ 11/19/13
    2pm W. Palm Beach, FL 4/11/03
    7pm E. Troy, WI 10/8/00
    FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 25
    12am St. Paul, MN 6/16/03
    7am Greensboro, NC 8/6/00
    2pm State College, PA 5/3/03
    SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 26
    12am E. Troy, WI 10/8/00
    2pm Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    7pm W. Palm Beach, FL 4/11/03
    SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 27
    12am Greensboro, NC 8/6/00
    7am Phoenix, AZ 11/19/13
    2pm St. Paul, MN 6/16/03
    *All Times Eastern

• Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Such a bummer. Fall 2021 has to be more likely to go through than Spring 2021, right? Either way, I guess it's possible we don't have shows next year, either. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Spring 21 seems improbable given the vaccine timetable.  Fall 21 seems feasible if something is approved by end of 20.  Other artists are booking Fall 21 and Winter 22 dates.  As of now there’s Bottlerock Napa Valley with RHCP on May 28, 2021 but I wouldn’t book a flight just yet.