Options

2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Discopij said:
    I don't care what venue they play as long as it's not a Festival ... shorter sets, a sea of sloppy teenagers on molly, terrible sightlines and sound ... no thanks
    I must be the only person who loves festivals. Sitting or standing where you want, most venues allow you to come and go, still getting 30 or more songs from them, seeing how many people don’t really know PJ when they hear something totally off the wall that only diehards know and PJ always throws these into the set list at festivals probably for that very reason. Enough room to dance or being able to get closer than normal. Having them open with Oceans on the beach at DeLuna Fest in Pensacola, Gleason at Voodoo, the good the bad and the ugly walk on music at Midtown Music... and all the other bands like Eminem, Foo Fighters, Drake. Festivals aren’t for everyone but remember PJ 20 was a festival and I never hear anything bad about it. It may be how you approach them. 
    Deluna and Voodoo in back-to-back years were just I wanted out of a PJ set at a festival. I'm partial to Voodoo, though, because 1) Steve Gleason and 2) it's the only time I'll have been able to ride my bicycle to a Pearl Jam show.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Bunting10Bunting10 Massachusetts, USA Posts: 618
    Oh where, oh where can our Dimi be?....
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    wbutler29 said:
    hailhail8 said:
    Raleigh would make sense as they canceled in 2016
    Carolinas were getting some rumors. Charlotte or Raleigh. Charlotte more centrally located bigger draw from surrounding areas.
    Not a big fan of spectrum center concerts. I will still go if PJ decides on it though. Layout isn’t the most convenient and the sound isn’t that great imo. 
    The only way I would go to a Charlotte show is if Raleigh, the state of Virginia, and DC were all left off an itinerary.

I lived in Raleigh during the '16 tour. It still feels right that they should plan to go back and make good on their promise.
    I'd only ever seen PJ in VA. My favorite times to see the band is on album Tours. Due to the noise/political climate at the time, my gut was telling me "Raleigh isn't going to happen, go to Hampton or Columbia." My bass player, who hadn't yet seen PJ ,lives in G'boro and didn't want to make the drive on a Tuesday. 

When cancellation came it felt like a gut punch. It was too late to switch over to Hampton and I didn't even try to go to Columbia because I thought there'd be a scramble and a weird vibe. Listening to the bootlegs, it sounds like both Hampton and Columbia were tense vibe-wise. Looking back on that Tour, I really should've just went to visit family outside of Lexington and caught that show instead, lol. 

To be completely honest, I'm still a little pissed at that bass player and will NEVER try to catch another show with him again.  I got us tickets to Rush's last tour and he didn't even offer to pay me back. Lesson learned. I'll won't even try to go to a PJ show with anybody other than my wife or ignore my gut again. 

I really hope there's a Charlotte/Raleigh date in the Fall because both venues are much closer to me than anything in VA now. But if Charlottesville or Hampton gets dates, they'll be my first picks. I'd love to visit family and  make it to either St. Louis or Nashville. I'd really love to make the trek to Baltimore. It's doable. I doubt I'll have much of a shot in the Public On Sale tomorrow, but I'm gonna try. :s

My Fall plans are to hit 2 shows. Ideally, I'd be able to hit 1 in VA and 1 in NC. Seems like the 10C's numbers are really high nowadays, it seems like it may be tough trying to see even 1 show this year. I just wish there were a few more dates, it would be a little easier to score tickets. :o 

EDIT: Technically, I'm a new member again. I let my membership lapse a couple of years back. Seniority and my 10 Club # doesn't really matter to me. I've been a fan and have followed the band since Unplugged back in 1992. I love the band and their music and want to hear the new album live. Merch is also pretty irrelevant to me. I do love the 2020 T-shirt, though. :)
    I really hope the second leg later this year brings you a few decent shots at seeing them. I happened to be pre-gaming the Hampton show when news officially broke about the Raleigh cancellation for the next evening. It was definitely tense with mixed feelings on my part. What you're hearing/feeling in the Hampton recording certainly felt real to me while at the show.

BUT they were SO. GOOD. that night in Hampton. I've been to PJ20, MSG, Wrigley, Fenway, and seen them in some huge crowds at festivals and NOLA '95, Ft. Lauderdale '96, but--gotta say--I'm always onboard for the opportunity to see them in mid-size venues. Hoping for that type of vibe in the Baltimore show this spring. 15k and under is a glorious size for a PJ show!
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I didn't renew my passport last summer for just one vacation. C'mon, Winnipeg!
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    mrussel1 said:
     I would think that they'd start with some other cities out West this time and maybe go across the Northern hemisphere. Kicking off in Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Chicago, Detroit etc., then finishing the leg somewhere like Boston, Philly, NY or DC/Charlottesville? 

I'm not even expecting anything below Charlottesville until maybe next year to be honest. They could hit a couple of places like Charlotte (if we're lucky) or Atlanta. They hit a lot of the Southern cities in 2016. That's why I'm making sure I see them on this leg. 
    +1 for Charlottesville. I lived in Raleigh (and had GA tickets) in '16, so to get a neighborhood show on this tour would be most welcome.
    Charlottesville was my favorite show in the last decade.  It was absolutely perfect.  Weather, set, great venue.  I've seen about 15 shows at JPJ and I've loved them all.  Come back!  
    definitely a classy venue. Seen some hoops games and a concert at the arena since moving here last year. At the concert, a staffer was surveying guests and asking who JPJ should try and schedule for future concerts. I was more than happy to give my preferred choice to the guy with the clipboard.
    I always hit the DMB winter shows.  I love them, always a good Christmas gig.  C'ville is my favorite city in the state.  
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    JM144705 said:
    JM144705 said:
    JM144705 said:
    The 3 fenway PJ shows have all been a ton of fun, great vibes and a hell of a lot easier and less stress getting tickets.
    Agree. Like others though I am excited for some arenas. I don’t think we hate ballpark, it’s just been all that’s offered lately.
    Oh I am not mad at all about seeing them in Baltimore in an arena, especially a smaller arena, it's gonna be awesome. Sad I couldn't get MSG tickets but I'll live.
    I’m most likely gonna be trying to trade my extra MSG for someone’s Baltimore extra when I find out where my seats are at
    I mean I could kick my buddy and or wife to the side and trade my extra ticket, lol. My stuff would probably be out on the lawn when I got home tho. 
    :lol: same
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    Discopij said:
    I don't care what venue they play as long as it's not a Festival ... shorter sets, a sea of sloppy teenagers on molly, terrible sightlines and sound ... no thanks
    I must be the only person who loves festivals. Sitting or standing where you want, most venues allow you to come and go, still getting 30 or more songs from them, seeing how many people don’t really know PJ when they hear something totally off the wall that only diehards know and PJ always throws these into the set list at festivals probably for that very reason. Enough room to dance or being able to get closer than normal. Having them open with Oceans on the beach at DeLuna Fest in Pensacola, Gleason at Voodoo, the good the bad and the ugly walk on music at Midtown Music... and all the other bands like Eminem, Foo Fighters, Drake. Festivals aren’t for everyone but remember PJ 20 was a festival and I never hear anything bad about it. It may be how you approach them. 
    Setlist for festival shows are usually less fun as they are more greatest hits. That’s the drawback. Everything else I agree with.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    Discopij said:
    That's the problem, you don't get 30 or more songs. It's always a shorter set. I still enjoy festivals, but I'd definitely prefer an arena show. You can't compare PJ20 since that was their festival, they were in complete control.
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,233
    I have a preference for sheds & arenas. I like smaller stadiums. The sound gets jacked the bigger a place is. 
    Fenway sound in 2018 was phenomenal. Tampa’s arena has terrible sound. Is shed the same as an amphitheater that has reserved and lawn seats? Gutted I have no idea what sheds means. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    CO278952 said:
    I have a preference for sheds & arenas. I like smaller stadiums. The sound gets jacked the bigger a place is. 
    Fenway sound in 2018 was phenomenal. Tampa’s arena has terrible sound. Is shed the same as an amphitheater that has reserved and lawn seats? Gutted I have no idea what sheds means. 

A real intimate setting. ;)
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 432
    Arenas>>>>>Ballparks>>Festivals>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LollaChicago
  • Options
    SB117186SB117186 Posts: 340
    London??
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    CO278952 said:
    lol, Yes, a shed is the same thing as an amphitheater. And now I'm gutted to learn that I've inadvertently spelling amphitheater wrong all these years. Time is a flat circle, huh? :rofl:
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Bunting10 said:
    He's sitting back in his recliner, with one Greek goddess feeding him grapes, a 2nd massaging his feet and a 3rd pouring him a beer, laughing at the rest of us all the while.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    CO278952 said:
    Agreed.  I didn't make the Tampa show, but I used to live in Tampa and the forum has poor acoustics.  I did the Ft Lauderdale show in 16 and was really disappointed coming out.  But then when I got the boot, it sounded so much better.  Certain venues have it, and others don't.  Makes a big difference on the experience, unless you're right up front.  
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Bunting10 said:
    Probably hiding.  Tomorrow could be the biggest complaint day in the history of the board.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,403
    mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:
    That's the problem, you don't get 30 or more songs. It's always a shorter set. I still enjoy festivals, but I'd definitely prefer an arena show. You can't compare PJ20 since that was their festival, they were in complete control.
    I’m going to politely & partially disagree....check out the DeLuna Fest lineup- 27 songs, many of them unknown to lots of festival attendees.  They do play hits but I’ve heard Evenflow at every concert.  But you’re right PJ 20 was their festival so I won’t count it anymore! 
    Don’t discount it if a festival is near you.  I promise you they play lots of stuff not known to regulars. They know we follow them. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,403
    mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:
    I’m going to politely & partially disagree....check out the DeLuna Fest lineup- 27 songs, many of them unknown to lots of festival attendees.  They do play hits but I’ve heard Evenflow at every concert.  But you’re right PJ 20 was their festival so I won’t count it anymore! 
    Don’t discount it if a festival is near you.  I promise you they play lots of stuff not known to regulars. They know we follow them. 
    Sorry meant only known to the regulars 
  • Options
    Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 199
    mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:

mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:
    I was at DeLuna Fest.  "Of the Earth" and "Parachutes"!  Wow.   Great set.  Too short (aren't they all?), but great!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Dr. Matt said:
    mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:

mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:
    I was at DeLuna Fest.  "Of the Earth" and "Parachutes"!  Wow.   Great set.  Too short (aren't they all?), but great!
    DeLuna was fantastic, it’s probably 2nd behind Seattle 2 in ‘18 for me. There’s something magical that happens when they play on the beach. That whole festival was great. I’m guessing it was an unorganized mess though because that was the last year.
    At Voodoo, also great with Gleason introducing the band & writing the set, the Security guys wanted a picture with my husband in his DeLuna shirt & were joking about it. We still haven’t figured that out. 🤷🏻‍♀️But I’m assuming it had to do with the PJ VIP mess there.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    I wish they would play 2 nights at Randall’s Island.  Get a couple bands to open, make it a thing.  

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Dr. Matt said:
    mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:

mattcoz said:
    Discopij said:
    I would kill to hear Parachutes!
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Bunting10 said:
    He's sitting back in his recliner, with one Greek goddess feeding him grapes, a 2nd massaging his feet and a 3rd pouring him a beer, laughing at the rest of us all the while.
    LOL ^^
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    my name is hugh freaking dillon and i approve this message. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mattcoz said:
    Zod said:
    If they play chicago.. what are the options.  If you play united centre you have the same ticket shortage issue as NY.  It's either Wrigley or Soldier field to create enough tickets.  It's hard to play an arena, when you can easily sell out two stadium shows....
    You know, there are two baseball teams in Chicago. ;)
    As a Sox fan I'd love to see PJ at New Comiskey, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm fine going back to Wrigley Field, but would prefer something different this time around. The United Center is a solid venue, but there could be issues with ticket availability. There's Soldier Field, but I don't think that's a great concert venue. If only there were another option...

Alpine Valley!!!
  • Options
    Tree77Tree77 Posts: 32
    my name is hugh freaking dillon and i approve this message. 
    Ditto
    2005: Winnipeg, Manitoba
    2011: Winnipeg, Manitoba
    2014: St Paul, MN
    2016: Ottawa
    2016: Toronto 1
    2018: Chicago Night 1
    2018: Chicago Night 2
    2020: Toronto
    2020: Ottawa
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    PJNB said:
    I think the only real rumours we have are a couple of drops on Houston and Columbus/Cleveland from people that know people that work at the venues. Wrigley got a mention by some DJ's but I really do not feel like ballpark shows are happening this year. 
    And thank the fuck god no ballpark shows

I'd be fine with them. Let everyone and their brother go to them...it means more ticket availability for other shows.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    ddeschler said:
    London, Ontario anyone??
    After Toronto and Hamilton on this leg?  Detroit more likely.
    London, Detroit, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland swing would be my dream 

There was that rumor a while ago that Columbus OR Cleveland could happen...but not both.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    ddeschler said:
    London, Ontario anyone??

There was that rumor a while ago that Columbus OR Cleveland could happen...but not both.
    What town would make a better weekend trip?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,554
    mcgruff10 said:
    ddeschler said:
    London, Ontario anyone??

What town would make a better weekend trip?
    Austin