Options

2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    I don't care what venue they play as long as it's not a Festival ... shorter sets, a sea of sloppy teenagers on molly, terrible sightlines and sound ... no thanks
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,127
    Poncier said:
    bbiggs said:
    Chris Stapleton announced 8/29 at Wrigley. I don’t recall the dates that we’re getting tossed around as possible dates for PJ there, but that one can get ruled out now. Hopefully this means they play the UC. Just not Lolla...please. 
    Cubs and Red Sox have week long road trips in Sept, post Labor Day. I am assuming the Wrigley/fenway shows will be around then. 
    Prime dates at Fenway that week (Friday 9/17 and Saturday 9/18) just got announced for Aerosmith and NKOTB respectively.
    Could possibly shoehorn in 9/15 and/or 9/16, but Fenway looking less and less likely with each passing day.
    Fenway 9/15 and 9/16
    Hartford 9/18
    Sea.Hear.Now 9/20

that little run makes too much sense

Fenway those dates doest make much sense to me

If they do Fenway Tues and Weds in mid Sept tickets may be easier to get.

School opens. Family responsibilities. Mid week shows. Possibly cold evening weather.

Predicting a huge decline in fans willing to travel in comparison to 2018 and 16. 

Fenway makes sense if it includes: 
    Summer
    Weekends
    Limited tourdates

Seems like a waste considering all the shows they are already doing this year 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    The ballpark shows have been awesome. 
    Definitely, that being said my last 5 shows have been ballpark shows so I’m stoked to see them in an arena again.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    Discopij said:
    I don't care what venue they play as long as it's not a Festival ... shorter sets, a sea of sloppy teenagers on molly, terrible sightlines and sound ... no thanks
    Agree 100%. There's definitely a step down from arena to stadium, but stadium to festival is a full flight of stairs.
  • Options
    JadlerJadler Posts: 705
    JimmyV said:
    I agree! All four Fenway shows so far have had a great vibe. The weather has been good (helps tremendously), and all over town there seems to be a buzz in the air. PJ fans everywhere. Has felt almost like a convention of sorts. Fenway II in ‘16 was the best overall concert experience I’ve ever had. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    CopperTom said:
    on2legs said:
    JM144705 said:
    Wait so is "Sea Hear Now Festival" all but confirmed? I'm looking for an excuse to check out Asbury Park. Even if it's a festival set I'll take it.
    I don’t think it’s all but confirmed.  More like there are some rumors and a lot of wishful thinking.  
    All wishful thinking. 
    Well... that’s part of the fun, right?  Because if people aren’t here for fun I’m not sure why they are here.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    I'll take baseball stadiums over festivals any day of the week.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I have a preference for sheds & arenas. I like smaller stadiums. The sound gets jacked the bigger a place is. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited January 2020
    High time Eugene got a show
    Eugene, OR Population: 168,916

Yeah, about that...
    I saw them the first time (and only time) they played Eugene in 1991---as Mookie Blaylock opening for Alice in Chains.  I was in my senior year at U of O....about time they returned.  I did see that Tool was playing in Eugene.
    I bet that PJ could sell out Autzen Stadium...I know the Dead sold out multiple night shows when I was there.  
    With that said, they would certainly sell out the new basketball arena there-13,000 for a concert....2 hours south of Portland....
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Ballpark shows have been a lot of fun, but I'd be OK with them getting a break for a while as they tour for the new album. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429
    The 3 fenway PJ shows have all been a ton of fun, great vibes and a hell of a lot easier and less stress getting tickets.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    I have a preference for sheds & arenas. I like smaller stadiums. The sound gets jacked the bigger a place is. 
    Would wrigley and fenway be examples of smaller stadiums?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    JimmyV said:
    Definitely, that being said my last 5 shows have been ballpark shows so I’m stoked to see them in an arena again.
    That's a great point that I had forgotten.  For me, it's six in a row I believe.  Definitely looking forward to Baltimore, in a small arena.  It's going to be great.  I love that 11-13k size.  JPJ, Hampton, Greenville, Baltimore, all awesome.  Although Greenville was a tad larger.  
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 554
    ddeschler said:
    London, Ontario anyone??
    After Toronto and Hamilton on this leg?  Detroit more likely.
    London, Detroit, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland swing would be my dream 
    I think you get 2 of those. 
  • Options
    SB117186SB117186 Posts: 340
    ddeschler said:
    London, Ontario anyone??
    After Toronto and Hamilton on this leg?  Detroit more likely.
    London, Detroit, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland swing would be my dream 
    Second this!
    London, ONT!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    Would wrigley and fenway be examples of smaller stadiums?
    I would guess so? I'm not trying to bash on stadium shows whatsoever. They make sense for the demand and more people can get to the shows. I'm glad people enjoyed themselves and had a great time. They're just not my thing. I took a chance and waited for Metallica to hit arenas and skipped their stadium tour also. That paid off. 

Regarding the bootlegs, I don't like a lot of talking on bootlegs and the Fenway show I listened to had a LOT of talking, lol. Plus 2016 was just a weird PJ year for me. The Raleigh cancellation honestly soured my view on a lot of that Tour. I do plan on coming back to them after the show in OKC, though. I have to *get right* first dammit, haha. 

I saw GN'R at BB & T Field in Winston-Salem, NC and the sound was dialed in perfectly for the size of that place - Capacity is around 32, 000. The other side of that is I caught DMB at RFK in DC a while back and the music was hitting me a second or 2 after the band played.  

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    JM144705 said:
    The 3 fenway PJ shows have all been a ton of fun, great vibes and a hell of a lot easier and less stress getting tickets.
    Agree. Like others though I am excited for some arenas. I don’t think we hate ballpark, it’s just been all that’s offered lately.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    JM144705 said:
    Agree. Like others though I am excited for some arenas. I don’t think we hate ballpark, it’s just been all that’s offered lately.
    Oh I am not mad at all about seeing them in Baltimore in an arena, especially a smaller arena, it's gonna be awesome. Sad I couldn't get MSG tickets but I'll live.
  • Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 569
    Have they played any stadium shows b2b? I thought all the recent baseball shows were two shows spread over three nights? Might help with the planning here.
    And based on this current tour it seems they prefer having a little break, granted the only three cities getting two shows are all b2b (Amsterdam being the third). I know arena shows in the Spring are always difficult with logistics and scheduling availability but just thought it was interesting they're spreading everything out. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 569
    estarr31 said:
    Have they played any stadium shows b2b? I thought all the recent baseball shows were two shows spread over three nights? Might help with the planning here.
    And based on this current tour it seems they prefer having a little break, granted the only three cities getting two shows are all b2b (Amsterdam being the third). I know arena shows in the Spring are always difficult with logistics and scheduling availability but just thought it was interesting they're spreading everything out. 
    Eddie has to take care of that voice 30 years in now. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    JM144705 said:
    JM144705 said:
    Oh I am not mad at all about seeing them in Baltimore in an arena, especially a smaller arena, it's gonna be awesome. Sad I couldn't get MSG tickets but I'll live.
    Same in reverse! Hope we both get lucky and can score tix between now and then.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    JM144705 said:
    JM144705 said:
    I’m most likely gonna be trying to trade my extra MSG for someone’s Baltimore extra when I find out where my seats are at
  • Options
    JM144705 said:
    Yeah, Fenway will be 100x easier to get tickets to then the Garden, so I’m all for that!
  • Options
    JM144705 said:
    JM144705 said:
    I’m most likely gonna be trying to trade my extra MSG for someone’s Baltimore extra when I find out where my seats are at
    I mean I could kick my buddy and or wife to the side and trade my extra ticket, lol. My stuff would probably be out on the lawn when I got home tho. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,403
    Discopij said:
    I must be the only person who loves festivals. Sitting or standing where you want, most venues allow you to come and go, still getting 30 or more songs from them, seeing how many people don’t really know PJ when they hear something totally off the wall that only diehards know and PJ always throws these into the set list at festivals probably for that very reason. Enough room to dance or being able to get closer than normal. Having them open with Oceans on the beach at DeLuna Fest in Pensacola, Gleason at Voodoo, the good the bad and the ugly walk on music at Midtown Music... and all the other bands like Eminem, Foo Fighters, Drake. Festivals aren’t for everyone but remember PJ 20 was a festival and I never hear anything bad about it. It may be how you approach them. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I agree.  These have been some of my favorites over the past 25 years.  And this is from someone who thought playing Fenway was a terrible idea.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I hate ballpark shows

I got my arena shows though, so Im happy.  I was worried we were trending toward ballpark-only
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    mrussel1 said:
     I would think that they'd start with some other cities out West this time and maybe go across the Northern hemisphere. Kicking off in Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Chicago, Detroit etc., then finishing the leg somewhere like Boston, Philly, NY or DC/Charlottesville? 

I'm not even expecting anything below Charlottesville until maybe next year to be honest. They could hit a couple of places like Charlotte (if we're lucky) or Atlanta. They hit a lot of the Southern cities in 2016. That's why I'm making sure I see them on this leg. 
    +1 for Charlottesville. I lived in Raleigh (and had GA tickets) in '16, so to get a neighborhood show on this tour would be most welcome.
    Charlottesville was my favorite show in the last decade.  It was absolutely perfect.  Weather, set, great venue.  I've seen about 15 shows at JPJ and I've loved them all.  Come back!  
    definitely a classy venue. Seen some hoops games and a concert at the arena since moving here last year. At the concert, a staffer was surveying guests and asking who JPJ should try and schedule for future concerts. I was more than happy to give my preferred choice to the guy with the clipboard.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Strangely enough, my 3 favorite RHCP bootlegs (and my avatar - which is actually a poster of 3 cancelled dates from March that were re-scheduled for June of that year) are from their 2007 Japanese Stadium shows. Those Japanese Matrix bootlegs are the bomb. 
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    That's a great point that I had forgotten.  For me, it's six in a row I believe.  Definitely looking forward to Baltimore, in a small arena.  It's going to be great.  I love that 11-13k size.  JPJ, Hampton, Greenville, Baltimore, all awesome.  Although Greenville was a tad larger.  
    Hampton holds just shy of 14k, and you're right about what a great show that was. Looks like JPJ can get 15k for end-stage concerts, if tickets are sold 360-degrees.

Looking very forward to the 13-14k Baltimore arena, too. Totally agree with you about that capacity range being a nice barometer for memorable shows.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020