The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

What if I'm in New York, want to get to Chicago, and the two buses are going to Phoenix and LA?
    both will likely take you through Indy. Get off there and catch another....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

What if I'm in New York, want to get to Chicago, and the two buses are going to Phoenix and LA?
    My second post is better than the first to get my point across 
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The only point you made is that you fundamentally don't understand American politics. We are a two-party system. Our checks and balances lie in the three branches of government.
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

and yet we don't see a libertarian thread with you posting in that of potential candidates. instead you're hanging out in here opining away about candidates you wont vote for.  or at least now its down to those two very quickly.....

so its obvious then, especially to you, it wasnt meant for you.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

and yet we don't see a libertarian thread with you posting in that of potential candidates. instead you're hanging out in here opining away about candidates you wont vote for.  or at least now its down to those two very quickly.....

Because the Libertarian field right now is bad. If Amash runs, I'll definitely start a separate thread. Discussing not voting for either is as distinct a decision as voting D or R.
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The only point you made is that you fundamentally don't understand American politics. We are a two-party system. Our checks and balances lie in the three branches of government.
    If your only strategy is to try and scold people into voting for your subpar candidate, you might want to consider that the campaign is already doomed
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

If your only strategy is to try and scold people into voting for your subpar candidate, you might want to consider that the campaign is already doomed
    We are a two-party system. Our checks and balances lie in the three branches of government.
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Because the Libertarian field right now is bad. If Amash runs, I'll definitely start a separate thread. Discussing not voting for either is as distinct a decision as voting D or R.
    so start that thread. having the desire and principle to vote FOR a candidate as opposed to against one is admirable.  In some cases that can be dangerous as many now seem to believe for this cycle. but still that choice is yours to make.

mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

so start that thread. having the desire and principle to vote FOR a candidate as opposed to against one is admirable.  In some cases that can be dangerous as many now seem to believe for this cycle. but still that choice is yours to make.
    All true, but if you can't handle and discuss earnest criticism of candidates you like, you're whistling past the graveyard
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

All true, but if you can't handle and discuss earnest criticism of candidates you like, you're whistling past the graveyard
    must have missed the earnest criticism then....
    likely got lost in our resident propagandists blitz posts of memes gifs and videos. hard to wade through the bullshit.

CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

We are a two-party system. Our checks and balances lie in the three branches of government.
    I fear you're going to be shouting this into the mirror while crying on November 4th
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Voting third party always helps the lesser candidate.

Not voting at all always helps the lesser candidate.

A vote for Amash is a vote for Trump.

Enjoy your shit sandwich.
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Referring to your candidate as the lesser candidate? Also not great!
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Enjoy your shit sandwich
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,402
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Curious as to what libertarian policies are most important to you and keep you disenchanted with Biden.  Are you against any social health and security program that involves taxing and administrating?  Are you against any foreign entanglement even efforts to contain NK and Iran?  I never read you as a Trump supporter so trying to understand what Biden agenda would keep you home vs voting for/against the Orange Menace?
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Curious as to what libertarian policies are most important to you and keep you disenchanted with Biden.  Are you against any social health and security program that involves taxing and administrating?  Are you against any foreign entanglement even efforts to contain NK and Iran?  I never read you as a Trump supporter so trying to understand what Biden agenda would keep you home vs voting for/against the Orange Menace?
    I see both corporate and personal tax hikes. I see expansion of health coverage at the federal level. I see increased spending and ballooning debt. I see a desire to push for gun control. I see a penchant toward militarism as a default on foreign policy. I don't see someone who will reform FISA or protect citizens' privacy. I don't see a guy concerned with criminal justice reform. I'm not convinced he'd be much better on immigration vs. Trump.

You could pick through some of that stuff and assign it to Trump, too, which is why I won't vote for him.

I'll reverse the question, too. What do you see in Biden's platform that would appeal to libertarians?
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I see both corporate and personal tax hikes. I see expansion of health coverage at the federal level. I see increased spending and ballooning debt. I see a desire to push for gun control. I see a penchant toward militarism as a default on foreign policy. I don't see someone who will reform FISA or protect citizens' privacy. I don't see a guy concerned with criminal justice reform. I'm not convinced he'd be much better on immigration vs. Trump.

You could pick through some of that stuff and assign it to Trump, too, which is why I won't vote for him.

I'll reverse the question, too. What do you see in Biden's platform that would appeal to libertarians?
    He can win the election
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don’t consider myself a libertarian so I can’t fairly answer that question.  I understand why a libertarian would support Amash more than Biden, but when there is only the binary choice, I do think one has to decide which candidate will take you closer to your belief system.  If this was Romney vs Biden, sitting back would be a viable option.  But I view Trump as a danger to the Constitution so I think a libertarian should consider voting for that reason.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,678
    I used to be a bigger fan of Elizabeth Warren than I am now, but I like what author Kent Nerburn says here about what she represented as a candidate and, more importantly, the wreckage we are left with heading into this election:

And suddenly all our dreams of a new political age – the dream that never quite got realized with Obama – are being subsumed into the morass of political expediency that Biden represents.

And just as suddenly, the astonishing presence that Elizabeth was – a bridge, not a compromise – is hitting our awareness like a political two by four.  More than that, we see that when this kabuki dance is all over, it’s ending right where it started – with three old white men who don’t understand that they should be mentors, not modern leaders, duking it out in their world of comb overs, hair plugs, and heart attacks.

Hey, I’m among them.  And I know the truth.  All of us folks of this generation know the truth.  THEY DON’T BELONG THERE.  None of them, I don’t care what your political stripe is.  They should be the mentors, the guides, the political elders.  They truly do have a role, but it’s not the one to which they aspire.  And Joe might be the most retrograde, which makes him the most comforting.  But the hard truth is, the marching band should get off the stage.

It’s time for the women.  It’s time for the next generation.  It’s time for new voices.  Look at the wreckage.  Kamala, Pete, Beto, Julian, Cory, Andrew, and so many others.  Road kill from your father’s Oldsmobile.

Somehow Elizabeth was the magical middle.  But no one likes the middle.  And we didn’t know how beautiful and perfectly situated that middle was until it was gone.

So now we grieve as we face the fact that all we have are three old white guys, all of whom fail to “get it” in varying degrees.

Here’s the hard truth.  Bernie lectures and doesn’t listen, Joe listens but uses what he hears to buttress old, tired policies, and Trump has never heard anything other than the sound of his own voice.

Elizabeth listened.

And she had a plan.

And people laughed at her for it.

But most of all, she made us feel like we were heard.

The trouble is, we didn’t listen.  And now we are all paying the price.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Btw, I don’t see personal tax hike with Biden.  If anything, I think he would reinstitute the SALT and other deductions.  I think corporate taxes would go up.  I don’t think Biden is more interventionist than Trump has proven that he is more than happy to exercise force but his standard seems to be “do the opposite of Obama”.  I 100%belive Biden is more of a free trader than Trump.
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don’t consider myself a libertarian so I can’t fairly answer that question.  I understand why a libertarian would support Amash more than Biden, but when there is only the binary choice, I do think one has to decide which candidate will take you closer to your belief system.  If this was Romney vs Biden, sitting back would be a viable option.  But I view Trump as a danger to the Constitution so I think a libertarian should consider voting for that reason.
    Danger to the Constitution how? I see him abuse it in the same way as recent Presidents, but to different ends. Ways that I don't see anyone in Washington particularly interested in reining in. What do you see as being unique?

Also, I don't consider myself a Democrat but if Amash runs I would have a pitch to Democratic voters. You don't need to be a libertarian to try and understand how to persuade them. Unless it's a bloc that you feel like you need to just write off, which isn't unreasonable.
    brianlux said:
    I used to be a bigger fan of Elizabeth Warren than I am now, but I like what author Kent Nerburn says here about what she represented as a candidate and, more importantly, the wreckage we are left with heading into this election:

And suddenly all our dreams of a new political age – the dream that never quite got realized with Obama – are being subsumed into the morass of political expediency that Biden represents.

And just as suddenly, the astonishing presence that Elizabeth was – a bridge, not a compromise – is hitting our awareness like a political two by four.  More than that, we see that when this kabuki dance is all over, it’s ending right where it started – with three old white men who don’t understand that they should be mentors, not modern leaders, duking it out in their world of comb overs, hair plugs, and heart attacks.

Hey, I’m among them.  And I know the truth.  All of us folks of this generation know the truth.  THEY DON’T BELONG THERE.  None of them, I don’t care what your political stripe is.  They should be the mentors, the guides, the political elders.  They truly do have a role, but it’s not the one to which they aspire.  And Joe might be the most retrograde, which makes him the most comforting.  But the hard truth is, the marching band should get off the stage.

It’s time for the women.  It’s time for the next generation.  It’s time for new voices.  Look at the wreckage.  Kamala, Pete, Beto, Julian, Cory, Andrew, and so many others.  Road kill from your father’s Oldsmobile.

Somehow Elizabeth was the magical middle.  But no one likes the middle.  And we didn’t know how beautiful and perfectly situated that middle was until it was gone.

So now we grieve as we face the fact that all we have are three old white guys, all of whom fail to “get it” in varying degrees.

Here’s the hard truth.  Bernie lectures and doesn’t listen, Joe listens but uses what he hears to buttress old, tired policies, and Trump has never heard anything other than the sound of his own voice.

Elizabeth listened.

And she had a plan.

Sorry, every one of her plans used the same pool of tax dollars and stretched them to the point of fanciful.  Her drop in the polls completely coincided with the release of the M4A cost analysis.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,678
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Elizabeth listened.

And she had a plan.

Sorry, every one of her plans used the same pool of tax dollars and stretched them to the point of fanciful.  Her drop in the polls completely coincided with the release of the M4A cost analysis.

Oh, for sure, M.  Like I said, I lost support for Liz awhile back.  She's OK. just not my favorite.

What I should probably have quotes was just this part:

"Hey, I’m among them.  And I know the truth.  All of us folks of this generation know the truth.  THEY DON’T BELONG THERE.  None of them, I don’t care what your political stripe is.  They should be the mentors, the guides, the political elders.  They truly do have a role, but it’s not the one to which they aspire.  And Joe might be the most retrograde, which makes him the most comforting.  But the hard truth is, the marching band should get off the stage.

It’s time for the women.  It’s time for the next generation.  It’s time for new voices.  Look at the wreckage.  Kamala, Pete, Beto, Julian, Cory, Andrew, and so many others.  Road kill from your father’s Oldsmobile."

Don't get my wrong, I would WAY rather have Bernie or Joe in office, but what we really need is new blood taking the leadership.  Old guys are fine as "mentors" and "guides", but younger people in their prime are better equipped to be leaders.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Elizabeth listened.

And she had a plan.

Oh, for sure, M.  Like I said, I lost support for Liz awhile back.  She's OK. just not my favorite.

What I should probably have quotes was just this part:

"Hey, I’m among them.  And I know the truth.  All of us folks of this generation know the truth.  THEY DON’T BELONG THERE.  None of them, I don’t care what your political stripe is.  They should be the mentors, the guides, the political elders.  They truly do have a role, but it’s not the one to which they aspire.  And Joe might be the most retrograde, which makes him the most comforting.  But the hard truth is, the marching band should get off the stage.

It’s time for the women.  It’s time for the next generation.  It’s time for new voices.  Look at the wreckage.  Kamala, Pete, Beto, Julian, Cory, Andrew, and so many others.  Road kill from your father’s Oldsmobile."

Don't get my wrong, I would WAY rather have Bernie or Joe in office, but what we really need is new blood taking the leadership.  Old guys are fine as "mentors" and "guides", but younger people in their prime are better equipped to be leaders.

I totally agree with that point.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    The horse race doesn't matter. Biden is going to be the nominee. Bernie's candidacy is over. Dems getting buyer's remorse as these primaries march on might not be the worst case scenario but it would be a bad one. . 
    It's just such a sad system that of all those people that declared themselves to be candidates, the one that's going to emerge has failed in two presidential runs, and is showing major signs of decline. Even sadder is that despite that, he probably does have the best chance to beat Trump. 

It seems like the two best ways to become a major party nominee during my lifetime is to be a master politician like Bill Clinton, Obama, and Trump, or to simply hang around for a very long time like Dole, Kerry, McCain, and Hillary. And unfortunately, Biden falls into the second category. Here's hoping he gets a better outcome that than those four did. 

how many times did Reagan run? 

HW Bush?

Nixon?
    I think they all ran once and lost a primary before going on to win.

I also think they were coherent during the years when they won.
    Nixon lost to Kennedy in 60. 
    If only Nixon had a better razor.  
    Reagan ran 3 times.

3rd time is the charm
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Then in this analogy New York = tRUmp

You need to figure out whether or not you want to stay in New York. 

Otherwise, it's off to Phoenix or LA.
    Meh. I'm not voting for Trump or Bernie/Biden. Hopefully Amash or someone similarly respectable jumps in on the Libertarian side. Otherwise it will just be ballot questions and other races for me.

Hope you dont get any preexisting conditions in the next 30 years.
    JimmyV said:
    Democrats ran an old, white, straight woman in 2016 and lost. They are now going to run an old(er), straight, white man in 2020. Both are the clear choice of the most moderate elements of the party. Maybe the result will be different this time. I really hope it will. But we have been here before. 
    No. We have not been here before.

We weren't electing Clinton after a Trump. We were electing Clinton after an Obama, where everyone either got lazy/apathetic (didn't vote), or they got insatiable for more than what Obama accomplished (supported Bernie), or they felt so much antipathy toward Clinton that they voted for Trump in the general.

Clinton didn't lose to Trump because she was a horrible candidate. She lost because not enough people could imagine how horrible a Trump presidency would be, even with all the evidence right in front of them. I don't think the voters will allow it to happen again. That's why they are drifting to Biden, and that's why turnout is way up. They know they can't stay home (turnout), they know gluttony leads to disease (Sanders losses), and they know Joe Biden is basically a good guy, notwithstanding his sniffs and hugs and dentures and all that either makes us laugh or groan.

Nah, she was pretty horrible as a candidate.

Saying the other guy is unqualified is a horrible campaign strategy. At a minimum its offensive to voters as its their main job to figure out who is qualified.

Never went WI? 

Even when she went to swing states it was in deep blue areas like Philly?

"Dont tell us how to run a campaign. We are winning."

Dukakis level bad.
This discussion has been closed.