Options

Ticketmaster Verified Resale, Dynamic Pricing, etc.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Should mention that in the tour that led to this discussion- Tool - the 2nd sold out LA show had extremely reasonably priced lower level tickets the day before the show after the band released a fresh supply of tickets. This was after most lowers were $400+ after the show originally sold out.

When multiple shows are played and ticket supply is not limited to a private club, the market has a chance to adjust. And fans didn't need to make their buying decisions in 1998.

The Ten Club ticketing situation is only a problem for you or people in your situation. It's not an objective problem so no one cares. The band is happy and the fans sitting in those seats are happy. No one is losing sleep over the guys who want to buy their way up front and can't. 

I only care about myself getting the best seats each and every  tour, which drives up prices for everyone else by limiting supply. And certainly I  dont care about someone else's right to an opinion or to speak.

More face value Tool tickets released today for tonight's show. Again.

Really its a novel and cool concept making tickets available to the public at face value to a sold out show.
    Why in the world would I care where someone else sits at an arena rock concert? "Won't someone think of the neglected rich who can't buy their way up front for this one band?" Maybe start a 501(c)(3) and advocate?

I'm a ticket snob, but dont need front ten rows. Dont mind it but dont need it.  I'm ok with sitting lower level. Even the first couple of rows in the balcony 

This topic originated because Tool was getting alot of heat when the majority of this tour's tickets sold out immediately.   I think their system is fairer than a private sale. I'm not looking to set up a nonprofit, just expressing that opinion on a forum. All fans should get a reasonable chance at tickets and limiting supply to the market drives up prices except for a select few. 
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Isn't it common for their to be ticket drops to concerts on the day of?  That's always been one of the top rules in getting tickets to a show:

1) If the band has a fan club, joint it to get advance tickets
    2) If the tickets from the fan club suck, don't buy them
    3) Try all the presales
    4) If the presales suck, try the general sale
    5) Make sure you try for over an hour on the general sale.  Quite often they dump more tickets an hour or two into it.   I've gotten amazing side stage seats from drops like that.
    6) If none of that worked, bookmark the event page and keep checking.  Tickets randomly drop.
    7) There are always ticket drops the week of, and the day of a show.  Left over comp tickets, side stage tickets that were originally blocked off with concerns of obstructed view... etc....  Most of those last minute ticket drops are great tickets.

That's what I've always done.  I've had amazing tickets to most of the shows I've gone too.   Until PJ brought out GA pits, 10c tickets (Even with seniority back to '98) tended to be the worst tickets I had to shows.  Always had better tickets for other concerts.

I completely empathize with bands capturing the revenue scalpers were taking.  I do know for a fact it's resulting in me going to less shows.   Where it used to be the travel was the most expensive part of going to a show, it's now the tickets.   Or at best it's the same.  It makes going to concerts crazy expensive.  Unless it's my favourite band, it's superhard plunking down that money to see a band I've already seen 3 to 5 times already.
    My experience has been that ticket drops are common except for the exclusive fan model. In NY I have never been lucky enough to see decent PJ seats drop the week of the show.

Regarding your point 2) that's impossible under the 10c model as seats are not disclosed at time of purchase. That's why I didnt join back in the day. But when I heard of the GA option that seemed a fair disclosure at time of purchase so I finally joined.

You have lots of excellent buying advice, but the last couple times NY was lucky to host PJ, I saw nothing under $500 lower level front of stage IIRC. And certainly no ticket drops.

They did drop tix for at Fenway but unfortunately that went to my spam and I didnt find out until it was too late. Oh well.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Ticketmaster/Live Nation just topped themselves with their dynamic price bullshit.
    Black Crowes tix go on sale. The face value for some good seats is $135.00. I click on 3 seats on the map have them "carted" showing $135.00 price, click "Next" and the next confirmation page loads with the tickets having a face value now of $152.50.

I'd like one of our resident Ticketmaster apologists to defend this practice.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Poncier said:
    Ticketmaster/Live Nation just topped themselves with their dynamic price bullshit.
    Black Crowes tix go on sale. The face value for some good seats is $135.00. I click on 3 seats on the map have them "carted" showing $135.00 price, click "Next" and the next confirmation page loads with the tickets having a face value now of $152.50.

I can't defend that. That's supremely fucked up if you carted them at one price and it jumps. For the record, I definitely saw those tickets go from 135 to 152.50 via searching.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:

I can't defend that. That's supremely fucked up if you carted them at one price and it jumps. For the record, I definitely saw those tickets go from 135 to 152.50 via searching.
    Is that $135 and then $152.50 once you add in all the convenience fees?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Also just now saw Sec 2 Row K go from a 152.50 Standard Ticket to a 337.50 Official Platinum Ticket

Lol
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:

No...that was before fees. I carted both of them and after fees they went from 160 to 180.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:

No that was the face, the fees were listed separately ($28.50 a seat)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    pjl44 said:
    Also just now saw Sec 2 Row K go from a 152.50 Standard Ticket to a 337.50 Official Platinum Ticket

Lol
    Saw that as well. And that 2K was $135.00 earlier.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:

Lol
    It's crazy to watch in real time
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:

Lol
    I've seen it happen before looking at the map for other shows, but was floored to see the price change once I had them in my cart, that really should be (and maybe is) an illegal practice.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:

Lol
    I've seen it happen before looking at the map for other shows, but was floored to see the price change once I had them in my cart, that really should be (and maybe is) an illegal practice.
    That is definitely a step too far, as far as I'm concerned 
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:

No that was the face, the fees were listed separately ($28.50 a seat)
    That is crazy. I was looking at the DC show and did not see them change. Maybe it is based on demand, very shady. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    LiveNation/TM ran me through the ringer for 15 minutes with this verified BS. First I was put in queue prior to sale (fine with that) but then directed to a page saying all tickets were sold out immediately. Refreshed and found that was incorrect. I go to buy tickets and get error that I cannot buy from my laptop. Go to my phone, get error that I can't get from there because already in queue on laptop. Sign out of the laptop and go back into the app and need to verify my account again. No wonder bots get all the tickets. 

Luckily the sales are slow for this show, or I'd have missed all the good seats.
  • Options
    BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    hihobibo said:
    LiveNation/TM ran me through the ringer for 15 minutes with this verified BS. First I was put in queue prior to sale (fine with that) but then directed to a page saying all tickets were sold out immediately. Refreshed and found that was incorrect. I go to buy tickets and get error that I cannot buy from my laptop. Go to my phone, get error that I can't get from there because already in queue on laptop. Sign out of the laptop and go back into the app and need to verify my account again. No wonder bots get all the tickets. 

Luckily the sales are slow for this show, or I'd have missed all the good seats.
    I had the same exact issue with getting Sturgill Simpson tickets.  Wouldn't let me buy them on a desktop computer.  Then tried on phone and was told I had to purchase from the device I previously signed in on.  Once I finally got it to work, GA Pit tickets were gone.  Then a new pre-sale started a couple hours later and GA Pit tickets were available again.  So frustrating.  
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Yeah man. I can't say that I'm a fan of the new practices of TM. 

They were always a little shady with fees but now they just bend fans over unapologetically. 

I'll avoid them as much as possible from now on. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

They were always a little shady with fees but now they just bend fans over unapologetically. 

With no KY in sight
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    edited November 2019
    Maybe when people start financing their tickets at 10%, it's gotten out of hand...
    Or Buy Now and Pay For Your Tickets Over Time
    6 payments of $53.25/mo at 9.99% APR. Estimated total of $319.50.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Maybe when people start financing their tickets at 10%, it's gotten out of hand...
    Or Buy Now and Pay For Your Tickets Over Time
    6 payments of $53.25/mo at 9.99% APR. Estimated total of $319.50.

Wow. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,171
    That's cold.   Financing concert tickets.   Recreational activities really shouldn't be done on credit.  

The part I'm curious about it is did TM voluntarily start coming up with ways to get more ticket revenue for promoters/bands, or was it the promoters putting pressure on TM to give them more tools to do so.   I suppose it could be moot because Live Nation is the promoter for a lot of shows, which seems to be a conflict of interest.

Still in the same position.  The more BS and expensive tickets are getting the fewer shows I go to.   I probably don't have an impact though.  I have to travel to Vancouver/Seattle to see shows.   Easier on a weekend, but most shows are midweek which means burning up vacation days on top of hotel/travel/ticket costs.... sigh.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

At least you have a chance at "good seats" at not that terrible of a price. 

Try accomplishing that for this certain band that insists the only way to purchase a good seat is by inventing a time machine or parting with quadruple digits. Hint, just look up.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    That's cold.   Financing concert tickets.   Recreational activities really shouldn't be done on credit.  

The part I'm curious about it is did TM voluntarily start coming up with ways to get more ticket revenue for promoters/bands, or was it the promoters putting pressure on TM to give them more tools to do so.   I suppose it could be moot because Live Nation is the promoter for a lot of shows, which seems to be a conflict of interest.

Still in the same position.  The more BS and expensive tickets are getting the fewer shows I go to.   I probably don't have an impact though.  I have to travel to Vancouver/Seattle to see shows.   Easier on a weekend, but most shows are midweek which means burning up vacation days on top of hotel/travel/ticket costs.... sigh.

The cost of tickets absolutely stinks. But we have royally screwed artists over royalties since Napster and now they are left to divide the ten bucks a month it costs to have access to nearly all music ever released. Hard to make a living on that. So that leaves concerts to make money

I got very lucky with Tool. I got a lower level seat at face during the initial on sale. Would have been very frustrated having to spend the $3-400 market price shortly thereafter. 

Tool is similar to PJ in one respect. They barely come to the NE. Tool  just added more CA & TX dates on their second leg and nothing within a 15 hour drive from here. And Tool has not yet ventured to the PNW

And there are so many people up here. Tickets are impossible to get for these 2 bands. But I would like them to play here. So what's the choice? We need to make it worth it for them.