Options

Are you addicted to social media?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I am.
I spend all night and most of the day on my phone or laptop.
It's quite sad.
Struggling to break my addiction and it's getting in the way of doing other things like reading a book, watching television, doing something creative like painting and guitar playing.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    It’s not your fault, I watched 60 minutes a few months ago and this guy who left Silicon Valley pretty much says we are all being trained like lab rats

which isn’t a big secret, but to hear him say it was disturbing 
  • Options
    Interesting article

"We are lured into staying online longer by the autoplay feature on Netflix and YouTube videos, the ‘Likes’ we repeatedly return to Instagram and Facebook to check and the compelling way Twitter reloads when we pull-down the screen, a feature that has no technical purpose other than to keep people pulling the handle just like they do on slot machines, where the idea originated.

“Addiction to technology involves the neurochemical dopamine being released,” explains psychologist, Marny Lishman. “Dopamine is responsible for the positive 'hit' we get when we get a 'like', get a positive comment on a post or if a notification ping goes off. Much like drugs, sugar and other addictions, it’s the same feeling that arises as we are being rewarded for our behaviour. The more we feel it, the more we want it (dependence) ..."

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    My wife and I get in fights over our phones.  It drives me nuts when we decide to watch a movie or a show at home and she's got that phone in her face.  I admit to having mine in my face too much but she just can't put that fucker down.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I've been deleting Twitter from my phone for my work days, as I've been spending too much time on it.

The funny thing is, when I go home at night and download the app & catch up on what i missed, I don't find that I've missed much of anything, and it's easier to stay off it for the night.

The more I'm on it, the more I want to be on it, but the less I'm on it, the easier it is to stay off... weird, right?

I don't want to quit entirely, as I do get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but it can definitely be problematic.

Luckily it's my only social media vice, I think FB is garbage, I never got into Instagram and Reddit is as much a cesspool as twitter, if not worse, so I'm not too worried about getting sucked into that.

• Options
    I probably use FB more than twitter but I have unfollowed anyone on my friends list that posts frequently so most of my feed is news (and ads now unfortunately).

I love twitter for news....I mostly just follow news feeds and journalists.  

I'll get on instagram every once in awhile but I rarely post anything.  When I do post pictures though it is generally to Insta because I don't like sharing much on FB.  

Part of my obsession with social media is breaking news.  I just always feel like I'm missing something.  Like I'm going to put my phone down for an hour and pick it up to find tRump resigned or something great like that.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I probably use FB more than twitter but I have unfollowed anyone on my friends list that posts frequently so most of my feed is news (and ads now unfortunately).

I love twitter for news....I mostly just follow news feeds and journalists.  

I'll get on instagram every once in awhile but I rarely post anything.  When I do post pictures though it is generally to Insta because I don't like sharing much on FB.  

Part of my obsession with social media is breaking news.  I just always feel like I'm missing something.  Like I'm going to put my phone down for an hour and pick it up to find tRump resigned or something great like that.
    I hear you... if I hadn't been on Twitter within minutes of the Temple of the Dog tour announcement in 2016, I almost certainly wouldn't have scored tickets through the presale, as I didn't get my Cornell email until that night... if that won't instill the fear of missing out, I don't know what will.
  • Options
    I only post my artwork on Instagram. I check other people's posts often.
    Part of wanting to keep Facebook is to post my artwork there in artists groups I'm in
  • Options
    And yes, I too keep checking news pages
  • Options

I keep my facebook account active, as it's the best way to keep in touch with family overseas, but I don't keep it on my phone, I only pull it up once a month or so to check notifications.

The ads, and what's even worse, 'Facebook TV' are awful... I checked FB Tv's feed for me once, and a Charlie Kirk video was the second video queued up... nothing about my profile would suggest that I would be interested in anything he has to say, so why would they spoon feed that stuff to me?

It's creepy AF, and even more concerning.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    It's 12:22am and I am still on Facebook.
    I hate irrelevant ads, they drive me mad.
    I'm thinking of deleting it from my phone and limiting my use to when I am on my laptop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Unchop some fucking wood.
    Delete the apps and go outside.
    Dump your phone in the toilet.
    Walk around.
    Feel the grass between your toes.  (Be reminded to cut your toenails.)
    Life is good, yes/no?

Sorry, had to get Chadwickian there.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    No i am not  and its for the best. I dont use any. And im proud of it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Unchop some fucking wood.
    Delete the apps and go outside.
    Dump your phone in the toilet.
    Walk around.
    Feel the grass between your toes.  (Be reminded to cut your toenails.)
    Life is good, yes/no?

Sorry, had to get Chadwickian there.

This haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I grew up in Darke County Ohio.  There is an FB group called "Busted in Darke County" that is pure comedy gold.

My old hometown has about 25,000 residents.  Drugs (meth, heroin, etc.) are prevalent and the admin of this group posts about everyone who gets taken to jail.  She will post mugshot, offense, etc.  Many times the family members, friends or the perp themselves will get on the FB post and argue with other posters.

Great stuff.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen old high school classmates on there.  Unreal.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited September 2019

The PJ board is my only social media that I post on.  I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc....  None of our lives are important enough to document on the internet but I get how it must be nice to keep in touch with family and friends that are not local.   I just pick up the phone every once in a while.   I'm not the norm though.  

I do check my Ebay account for feedback updates often so that is like "likes" on a post I guess.  And I'm visiting this site all the time. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I turn off notifications on all my apps except calls, texts, & sports scores, and also turn off auto-play on Youtube. It makes walking away much easier and it's less tempting to check things so often.
  • Options
    I turn off notifications on all my apps except calls, texts, & sports scores, and also turn off auto-play on Youtube. It makes walking away much easier and it's less tempting to check things so often.

turned off email alerts.  that was huge.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I was teetering a few years ago, but snapped it for the most part.  I still stalk on facebook, but post like 1x every 4-6 months or so.... other than a couple private groups where I participate every now and then.  Never got into twitter.  I post here and a couple forums, but not a wild amount of posts/day.

I would like to cut down even more though.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Yep, I only use the icon badge for email and even that's annoying because it makes me want to open & clear it out.  I should probably just turn off email on my phone all together.  I never even look at most of it, just goes straight to the trash.  And GMail is the fucking worst!  Every god damn iteration of my name, I get ALL the emails.  (e.g. mine is "c.a.dyer@" but I'll get emails for cadyer, c-a-dyer, c.adyer, cady.er, etc because 15 years later Google still can't figure out how to differentiate character registers.)
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    I definitely spend way too much time on Twitter.  Probably too much time on Instagram as well. I did deactivate facebook like 6 years ago...that place is an absolute cesspool.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    just facebook
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Not necessarily social media, apart from this board (haven’t used fb in ages, no twitter or instagram) but I’m definitely on my phone too much. 
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I could do without Facebook, but I do love Instagram. I really don't care for people that overshare, and it seems that is mainly Facebook for me. There are some on Instagram that could share less, but it's not as bad as Facebook. I don't mind spending 20 minutes or so on Instagram looking at the suggested posts. I have Twitter, but don't really use it all that much.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited September 2019
    No.

But internetforums and wikipedia. I'm a trivia/knowledge junkie.

Gonna try to exchange it for watching more movies and reading books. Maybe cuddle with cats.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited September 2019
    I'm not. I use it a fair bit, and I do admit to getting lost in Facebook for pretty long stretches during my own alone time when I have nothing better to do (I especially love the animal videos, like strays that were rescued, funny clips, etc, lol). But I am never ever even remotely tempted to take it out when I'm in the company of other people, no matter what the circumstances are, and I basically never even resort to it when I'm waiting in line and things like that either. I guess I just don't think of it as something that should be done in public or around other people. I would assume that means I'm not addicted? Nobody has or ever will have to say something like "put your damned phone away" to me. That said, I have noticed that I have trouble focusing on the TV without doing something with my phone... although it more often games that I'm distracted by, not social media. I guess it helps that the only social media I'm on is FB and this forum.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Only sometimes when I am home, especially late at night. 

But when I leave home, I'm free of it because I have no smart phone- I refuse to get one.  I don't want to be locked in that often, so getting out of the house gets me off the computer, out of the loop, into the real world so-to-speak. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Reading news online is not social media.  I am totally not addicted.  I come here once in a while, check FB maybe once a month, if that.  I watched a program the other night on A&E about Digital Addiction, it included a story on a young 17 year old young boy addicted to video games and a woman I believe around 40 years old addicted to social media.  They were both abhorrent people before they got help.  They got help through rehab.  Digital rehab is as much needed as drug/alcohol rehab.  

The boy was so violent, he had abused his younger sister, his parents, they were afraid of him. He threatened to kill his family.   He was totally out of control.  

The woman lost her husband, her home, her children.

It was mind blowing.  They both received help and seemed to be on the road to recovery. Before that, they were despicable human beings.  
  • Options

Yep, I only use the icon badge for email and even that's annoying because it makes me want to open & clear it out.  I should probably just turn off email on my phone all together.  I never even look at most of it, just goes straight to the trash.  And GMail is the fucking worst!  Every god damn iteration of my name, I get ALL the emails.  (e.g. mine is "c.a.dyer@" but I'll get emails for cadyer, c-a-dyer, c.adyer, cady.er, etc because 15 years later Google still can't figure out how to differentiate character registers.)
    I have the same problem.
    I used to reply to say that the email was sent to the wrong address. Now I just delete.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    I probably spend way too much time online. Hell I’m posting here right now when I should be working.

I like Instagram and do I post every now and then, but I have never posted a photo of myself or my son. I tolerate FB because it keeps me in touch with friends and family on the other side of the world. But FB is a toxic place most of the time so I’ve cut back on a lot of stuff I used to follow. I think I still have a Twitter account but I’ve never posted and I’ve got no idea of the log in details anymore.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The racist and homophobic comments on Facebook bring me down.