Options

psst...7/10/19

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    DewieCox said:
    The whole nature of RSD is limited. At least PJ decided to offer something to 10 Club member after the fact
    cp3iverson said:
    By RSD standards there are a TON of these things pressed.  That’s awesome. 

Lets not lose sight of the fact that this is for RSD.  These red ones are a cool favor from the 10c

This isn’t RSD. 
    People skewing their reality to defend Pearl Jam rather feeding into the "limited edition collectors" bullshit frenzy than making as many fans as possible happy and getting the chance.

And in what way is the whole nature of RSD "limited"? The whole nature of RSD is to support and get people into record stores.

People really need to stop taking how things happen to be as a godgiven rule about how it must be.
    You should explore why limited merchandise items constantly upset you so much. These items are as non-essential as non-essential gets. Why allow yourself to get so worked up over how many red records there are to go around?
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    I always wonder what would happen if they pressed say 5,000 of a release and didn’t use any of the exclusive or limited tags and see how they’d sell.  I mean they can’t give away those 7” they pressed on color vinyl a few years ago I doubt they pressed 30,000 of them.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Zod said:
    Travelar said:
    I thought that the RSD release of this title was a first run, meaning that this (at least the black vinyl) would be released at some point to all retailers and have a much larger run. I could be misremembering though.
    I always think of RSD First as a loophole.  It's bands (or their labels) saying that it might get regular release at some point.  To prevent people from complaining if they decide to do another release down the road.   Some bands plan a regular release before RSD (like new record is an RSD first, but will relrelease on this date 2 months later).  Some bands never get around to rereleasing RSD first. Some bands realize it was a popular pressing and do a 2nd run after the fact   I think of it as an out clause.

Technically there's an outclause for this.  Doesn't mean their can't be another pressing down the road.  Newbury Comics purple pressing or something.... lol
    I never thought it about it this way, but this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for another perspective.
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    BK5403 said:
    I say the following as constructive input vs. as complain-y whinging ...

Knock out two common Ten Club complaints with one Stone and offer this type of thing to Analog tier members only.

Would keep more people in the Analog tier (good for Ten Club) and would be a nice vinyl reward for those who stick with Analog. Press the same number of LPs as there are Analog tier members and if people don’t claim/purchase after a week then release a batch to the reg’ler folk in the Club. Don’t even need to do it every year. A keen rarity on vinyl once in a while would make the Analog tier even more appealing than it was with the Xmas 45. 

To those who got one: If you spin it, I hope it’s great. If you sell it, let the market bear what it will. Y’all aren’t being immoral. Annoying perhaps, but not immoral. 
    I like this idea!!! 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    The whole nature of RSD is limited. At least PJ decided to offer something to 10 Club member after the fact
    cp3iverson said:
    By RSD standards there are a TON of these things pressed.  That’s awesome. 

Lets not lose sight of the fact that this is for RSD.  These red ones are a cool favor from the 10c

This isn’t RSD. 
    People skewing their reality to defend Pearl Jam rather feeding into the "limited edition collectors" bullshit frenzy than making as many fans as possible happy and getting the chance.

And in what way is the whole nature of RSD "limited"? The whole nature of RSD is to support and get people into record stores.

People really need to stop taking how things happen to be as a godgiven rule about how it must be.
    You should explore why limited merchandise items constantly upset you so much. These items are as non-essential as non-essential gets. Why allow yourself to get so worked up over how many red records there are to go around?
    Why shouldn't I? In the bubble that is Pearl Jam and this board it is one thing that can be done better. So I will post about it. 

Thank you.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    redraw said:
    BK5403 said:
    I say the following as constructive input vs. as complain-y whinging ...

Knock out two common Ten Club complaints with one Stone and offer this type of thing to Analog tier members only.

Would keep more people in the Analog tier (good for Ten Club) and would be a nice vinyl reward for those who stick with Analog. Press the same number of LPs as there are Analog tier members and if people don’t claim/purchase after a week then release a batch to the reg’ler folk in the Club. Don’t even need to do it every year. A keen rarity on vinyl once in a while would make the Analog tier even more appealing than it was with the Xmas 45. 

To those who got one: If you spin it, I hope it’s great. If you sell it, let the market bear what it will. Y’all aren’t being immoral. Annoying perhaps, but not immoral. 
    I like this idea!!! 
    Hmm. Not that bad of an idea. Have a regular version (own shop/other retailers) and press a version for analog members. Any stock left, not claimed put it out in the regular rotation, or put it in mystery boxes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    I just cancelled my order, jumped the gun without thinking and realized its $65 CAD with exchange and shipping. Hopefully someone who missed out can grab this if they add it back to the shop. 
  • Options
    musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 233
    Heres a story...

Im in the 10 club.
    Im told by them that on the 10th of every month there will be a newsletter.
    On the 9th of the month I know tomorrow will be the 10th.
    I anticipate.
    Bing, newsletter.
    "Limited edition of blah available"
    I log in, try to purchase blah.
    I get blah, sometimes I don't.
    If I do I say "SWEET!"
    If I don't I say "DARN!"

Any other story is a story of a victim or of an entitled human.

End of story.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Zod said:
    Travelar said:
    I thought that the RSD release of this title was a first run, meaning that this (at least the black vinyl) would be released at some point to all retailers and have a much larger run. I could be misremembering though.
    I always think of RSD First as a loophole.  It's bands (or their labels) saying that it might get regular release at some point.  To prevent people from complaining if they decide to do another release down the road.   Some bands plan a regular release before RSD (like new record is an RSD first, but will relrelease on this date 2 months later).  Some bands never get around to rereleasing RSD first. Some bands realize it was a popular pressing and do a 2nd run after the fact   I think of it as an out clause.

Technically there's an outclause for this.  Doesn't mean their can't be another pressing down the road.  Newbury Comics purple pressing or something.... lol

Have an example of a First Release not getting a wider release later?
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    DewieCox said:
    Zod said:
    Travelar said:

I dont think State of Love and Trust ever got released again
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Horse2345 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Zod said:
    Travelar said:

I dont think State of Love and Trust ever got released again
    Correct. This is what I was going to say too.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Forgive if I’m wrong but there was no indication this would be limited.  I remember the newsletter stating that there would be a 10c edition.  That’s all it said.  Nothing about colored version or limited.  I took that to mean they would be selling something that all 10c members would have the ability to purchase.  

As said so many times on this forum for a band that claims to love vinyl they sure make it difficult for their fans to actually get vinyl copies of their releases.  They didn’t just climb out from under a rock and can claim ignorance about the fact that all this limited crap just causes flippers to charge exorbitant prices for their stuff.  Obviously it just doesn’t bother them because they can stop this.  It’s very easy.  
    At the end of the day it’s best to remember that Pearl Jam / Ten Club are/is a business with the end goal to be profitable. Nothing wrong with that.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    I held off on pursuing the RSD version of this specifically because a 10c variant was promised, and I assumed (I realize now that it was an assumption) that they'd give everyone an opportunity and press as many as needed, like with the Vault releases. I was lucky/fast enough to grab one of the reds, but I feel bad for anyone who didn't. I generally think the club does a better job than a lot of people here give it credit for, but this was poorly done. 
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    hsohi said:
    Forgive if I’m wrong but there was no indication this would be limited.  I remember the newsletter stating that there would be a 10c edition.  That’s all it said.  Nothing about colored version or limited.  I took that to mean they would be selling something that all 10c members would have the ability to purchase.  

As said so many times on this forum for a band that claims to love vinyl they sure make it difficult for their fans to actually get vinyl copies of their releases.  They didn’t just climb out from under a rock and can claim ignorance about the fact that all this limited crap just causes flippers to charge exorbitant prices for their stuff.  Obviously it just doesn’t bother them because they can stop this.  It’s very easy.  
    At the end of the day it’s best to remember that Pearl Jam / Ten Club are/is a business with the end goal to be profitable. Nothing wrong with that.
    They could’ve been a lot more profitable if they had pressed more of these.  Obviously there was a demand.
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,071
    tdawe said:
    .......but this was poorly done. 
    This was not poorly done!
    This was announced at 10am on the 10th of the month, everyone knows the monthly newsletter release date and time. Also it was available in the Shop for over 2 hours.

Also, random drops of limited items are key. It is incorrect to assume we would have a better chance of getting a limited item if they announced when limited items will go on sale.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    musicsam3 said:
    Heres a story...

Im in the 10 club.
    Im told by them that on the 10th of every month there will be a newsletter.
    On the 9th of the month I know tomorrow will be the 10th.
    I anticipate.
    Bing, newsletter.
    "Limited edition of blah available"
    I log in, try to purchase blah.
    I get blah, sometimes I don't.
    If I do I say "SWEET!"
    If I don't I say "DARN!"

Any other story is a story of a victim or of an entitled human.

End of story.
    You should make this post it’s own thread!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    They cant press 18,000 copies and then have 4,000 of them to throw in mystery boxes over the next few years.  No one wants to take a loss like that.  

It wasn't pressed to order but they still pressed a TON of these by variant vinyl standards.  And an enormous amount for RSD standards. 

This is not a Benny.  Buy this on ebay for a small markup in a few months. 
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057

They could’ve been a lot more profitable if they had pressed more of these.  Obviously there was a demand.
    To what extent? Pre-orders take forever, and still people complain they miss out. Manufacturing based on the number of 10 Club members wouldn't make sense, as not everyone would buy because of shipping, lack of interest, etc. The result would be stacks of merchandise sitting in their warehouse, which doesn't appear to be something they like to do. The 10 Club business is very clever in keeping most items as limited, so that fans have learned not to waver on purchasing. It must be an impulse buy, or they risk having the item sell out. For those that do,10 Club hosts a Lost Dogs section of the message board to allow fans who want an out of stock item to barter/buy from others, which is just one of the reasons people buy some of this merch, as trade bait. 

Regarding the earlier post, I liked the idea of letting analog members get first crack at it. That would make sense for Analog, they can send out a promo code for vinyl items. 
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    DewieCox said:
    Zod said:
    Travelar said:

The National - Boxer - Live in Brussels was released in the RSD First category.
    It was released on vinyl for RSD 2018 in a rainbow foil jacket & custom inner sleeve.
    There were 4500 copies (1500 for the UK and Ireland and 3000 for the US) pressed.
    It DID get a wider release later...
    but only on CD & digital files,
    not vinyl.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,165
    Missed out on this but I bought a black copy on RSD so not too bothered. Allowing Analog members a 24hr window or something to buy this on first would have been nice because at the moment there is barely any perks of this membership. I'll keep an eye out for this on ebay etc but it would just be to add to my collection, the stupid thing is the majority of red pressings wont even get opened. Im thinking the majority of people that bought this already had the black so why would you open this. I know what a red record looks like and its not going to sound any better.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited July 2019
    I was unable to get one before it sold out. If anyone bought a spare in order to help out someone who couldn't snag one, I would really appreciate a PM, thank you!
    Update - a kind fellow fan already stepped up and offered help, thanks!! :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    tdawe said:
    This was announced at 10am on the 10th of the month, everyone knows the monthly newsletter release date and time. Also it was available in the Shop for over 2 hours.

Also, random drops of limited items are key. It is incorrect to assume we would have a better chance of getting a limited item if they announced when limited items will go on sale.
    My problem isn't with how it was dropped now, it was the poor messaging back in the spring. I realize that it wasn't actively misleading - I let my mind fill in the blanks - but I for one passed on the RSD version in reliance on the notion that as a 10 Club member I'd definitely be able to get a club version later. My assumption was that it would be handled like the Vaults - put up a preorder for a month and let any member who wants one sign up, then press 'em and send them around in the fall. I don't know why they wouldn't have done it that way now. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:

My problem isn't with how it was dropped now, it was the poor messaging back in the spring. I realize that it wasn't actively misleading - I let my mind fill in the blanks - but I for one passed on the RSD version in reliance on the notion that as a 10 Club member I'd definitely be able to get a club version later. My assumption was that it would be handled like the Vaults - put up a preorder for a month and let any member who wants one sign up, then press 'em and send them around in the fall. I don't know why they wouldn't have done it that way now. 
    This is what I thought as well.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    tdawe said:

As somebody who got one on this occasion I wholeheartedly disagree. Some on us have jobs or other commitments that dont allow us to be online at a precise time, particularly if not advertised in advance.

For a release of this kind, I would have like to have seen all members who wanted one a good opportunity to buy it.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    tino_11 said:
    tdawe said:

As somebody who got one on this occasion I wholeheartedly disagree. Some on us have jobs or other commitments that dont allow us to be online at a precise time, particularly if not advertised in advance.

For a release of this kind, I would have like to have seen all members who wanted one a good opportunity to buy it.
    A release of this kind? I mean...it’s a partial EP. it’s not like this is a reissue of Benaroya or LO2L, Lost Dogs, or even RVM. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    apirk72 said:
    I always wonder what would happen if they pressed say 5,000 of a release and didn’t use any of the exclusive or limited tags and see how they’d sell.  I mean they can’t give away those 7” they pressed on color vinyl a few years ago I doubt they pressed 30,000 of them.
    Isn't that exactly what happened with the original run of the PJ20 deluxe that was sold in the shop? 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    People defending predatory capitalist bullshit.

come on people. Be better. 

There is no reason for a rockband to be anything else But as fair as possible. ”B-b-but this is RSD, What can little Pearl Jam do about i-i-it???”

Fucking go back to being mensch people instead of capitalist conditioned sheep. 

Like Marie Fredriksson sing ”it must have been love. But its over now”

or smash mouth: hey Now You’re allstar. Get your game on
  • Options
    I ADORE ROXETTE
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    tino_11 said:
    tdawe said:

A release of this kind? I mean...it’s a partial EP. it’s not like this is a reissue of Benaroya or LO2L, Lost Dogs, or even RVM. Just my opinion.
    That's right, a release which we all knew about in advance that people want to buy.  We can't all be glued to the internet 24/7. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Fuck all these stupid comments about "stop whining" or "you should've known it would be on the 10th" or "there are bigger problems".

How about this:  I like LISTENING to vinyl.  Period.  I think its a valid complaint that things like this are so limited.  I missed the first run on RSD but wasn't that worried because the 10c said they would release a version.  No big deal.  Then the 10th rolls in and im at work, dont have a chance to check any emails or social media and when I get home see its on sale...GONE.  That sucks imo.  Why not take pre orders?  I just dont get it.  As others have stated it sucks even more for vinyl fans in way different time zones.