Options

Immortality could be PJ's greatest song.

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    This thread has taken an interesting turn. It makes me think...does PJ have a better catalog of rockers or slow songs? Not more extensive, but better. 🤔
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Tough question!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,848
    edited April 2019
    bbiggs said:
    This thread has taken an interesting turn. It makes me think...does PJ have a better catalog of rockers or slow songs? Not more extensive, but better. 🤔
    I actually think slow songs. Awesome question!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    For me it’s definitely the slow songs that are in the majority. Sure I love songs like Evolution to death but the depth of their slow songs is astonishing. Plus even most of their rocking songs are not that hard rocking. Which works for me 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    I find it interesting that there's hasn't been any mention of two of their most famous "slow tunes" (Small Town and Daughter) as of yet. 
  • Options
    Top five slow songs for me...
    Immortality
    Indifference
    Long Road
    Parting Ways
    Daughter (still love it but the "It's Okay" tag is what brings it to this level)

(I'd probably move out the bottom two if we are counting Present Tense and I Got Id)

• Options
    rummy said:
    I find it interesting that there's hasn't been any mention of two of their most famous "slow tunes" (Small Town and Daughter) as of yet. 
    Same as Black (mentioned once). Maybe they’re kind of taken for granted/ go without saying?!
  • Options
    Ranking the songs in Vitalogy (because it's already been mentioned in this thread)...
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    11. Bugs (I guess it's a "song')
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Ranking the songs in Vitalogy (because it's already been mentioned in this thread)...
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    That’s pretty spot on. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    That’s pretty spot on. 
    Whoa, not for me ;-)
    1-6 Tremor Christ, Not for you, Last Exit, Nothingman, Betterman, Corduroy (No order)
    7-9 Satan‘s Bed, Whipping, Immortality (no order)
    10-12 Spin the black circle, bugs (the Philly 09 live version is awesome), aye davanita (is it a song? It’s fun!)
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    That’s pretty spot on. 
    Whoa, not for me ;-)
    1-6 Tremor Christ, Not for you, Last Exit, Nothingman, Betterman, Corduroy (No order)
    10-12 Spin the black circle, bugs (the Philly 09 live version is awesome), aye davanita (is it a song? It’s fun!)
    - Immortality just nudges out Corduroy for me. I still love that song (Corduroy) no matter how many times they play it and how many times they've butchered it over the past few years.
    - I feel pretty good about my 3-5 but, admittedly, 6-9 could flip/flop on any given day. 
    - For whatever reason, Satan's Bed sits firmly at #10 but I still think it's a really good tune.

• Options
    rummy said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    That’s pretty spot on. 
    Whoa, not for me ;-)
    - Immortality just nudges out Corduroy for me. I still love that song (Corduroy) no matter how many times they play it and how many times they've butchered it over the past few years.
    - I feel pretty good about my 3-5 but, admittedly, 6-9 could flip/flop on any given day. 
    - For whatever reason, Satan's Bed sits firmly at #10 but I still think it's a really good tune.

I actually like aye davinta better than Satans bed and tremor Christ.  I would love for them to jam that out for five or six minutes. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,911
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    That’s pretty spot on. 
    Whoa, not for me ;-)

I actually like aye davinta better than Satans bed and tremor Christ.  I would love for them to jam that out for five or six minutes. 
    I think Aye Davanita would make a wicked jam somewhere in the live set. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    1. Immortality
    2. Corduroy
    3. Last Exit
    4. Better Man
    5. Not For You
    6. Spin The Black Circle
    7. Nothingman
    8. Tremor Christ
    9. Whipping
    10. Satan's Bed
    That’s pretty spot on. 
    Whoa, not for me ;-)

Oh, I enjoy it too, for sure. Definitely the best of the "non-songs."
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Very tough choice, but I agree. Hope I didn’t derail the thread. Just seemed like a fitting question at the moment. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Whipping is the ninth ranked song?
    Ha.  Shows how differently we all like things.  Whipping is one of the best songs on the record, IMO.  (Especially live!)

• Options
    Whipping is the ninth ranked song?
    Ha.  Shows how differently we all like things.  Whipping is one of the best songs on the record, IMO.  (Especially live!)

Admittedly, my rankings are based on live performances! Again, it's still a great tune.I may rank it lower but certainly don't rate it low.
  • Options
    Such a great record!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    Since this place is dead lets derail this even further. Immortality is the best song that ends an album. It has some tough competition but edges out Release and Indifference imo. Just a great closer to my favourite album. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJNB said:
    Since this place is dead lets derail this even further. Immortality is the best song that ends an album. It has some tough competition but edges out Release and Indifference imo. Just a great closer to my favourite album. 
    It would make for a good argument... But Mophandelamama ends the album.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Not whenever I listen to Vitalogy... I always choose to ignore it. 😉 I‘d say though that all albums have really good last songs 
  • Options
    Ha.

Release is the #1 album ender, to me. 

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    PJNB said:
    Technically yes but fuck that song lol. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    I don't think I could choose a best closer from albums 1 - 7. I absolutely love every last one of them. I do feel No Code and Yield have the weaker closers of those albums, but still awesome songs. The last 3 albums don't even come close when it comes to PJ album closers.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I like all the album enders except, ironically, The End.  Not sure what would be my favorite.  As an individual song, I'd have to go with Inside Job.  But as an "album closer" when considering preceding tracks and overall flow and mood of the album... it's a tough choice.  My gut right now is telling me either Indifference or Parting Ways (especially with Writer's Block thrown in at the end), but that could probably change any day of the week that ends in -y.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Ha.

It's been a long time since I listened to the original studio album but doesn't a snippet of "Master and Slave" end Ten;)
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Ha.

It's been a long time since I listened to the original studio album but doesn't a snippet of "Master and Slave" end Ten?
    Not listed in the song choices so I say No!
    (Although I think that you may be right!)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    tbergs said:
    I don't think I could choose a best closer from albums 1 - 7. I absolutely love every last one of them. I do feel No Code and Yield have the weaker closers of those albums, but still awesome songs. The last 3 albums don't even come close when it comes to PJ album closers.
    Totally agree. If we are ignoring all the hidden/silly/bonus stuff, I'd go...
    1. Immortality
    2. Indifference
    3. Release (prefer it as a concert opener as opposed to an album closer)
    4. Parting Ways (should be played way more often)
    5. All Those Yesterdays
    6. All or None
    7. Around the Bend
    All the above a really good to great tunes. These are rankings - not ratings.
    The End is too sad to enjoy...Future Days just went too far with the sap/cheese...off the top of my head, I can't remember what ends Self-Titled...Inside Job??? Yes...that's it. I'm still "moody" about that one.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Inside Job, yes - yes - yes!  To me that is Top 5.  (To end a record)  Love that they end with that song -- it has a much different feel than most closers.

I love The End as a song, it has a deeply personal connection with me, but agree with you.  It is not something I look forward to hearing end the record.

• Options
    I absolutely hate inside job.  The beginning never seems to end.  my rankings for closers are:
    immortality
    release
    parting ways
    indifference
    all those yesterdays
    around the bend

the rest are meh.