Options

Has any PJ song died faster and greater than "Who You Are"?

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    bigdeath said:
    What about World Wide Suicide?  Was the lead single off the album

Played 79 times on 06 tour (94% of shows)
    11 times on 07 tour (79% of shows)
    24 times during 08-13 tours
    Last time played 1/31/14
    This is definitely a good pick. Maybe not MORE than Who You Are but noteworthy indeed.

• Options
    How about Bu$hleaguer? It was some sort of single, no?

(I get that it might not be "greater" than Who You Are but we can't all just answer "yes" and that's it for the thread!)
  • Options
    ...and the 2009 version of Brother deserves mentioning. Got some radio play back in 2009 (I think) yet hasn't been performed since 2010 (I think).
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Brother got huge. It was #1 i think
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,537
    rummy said:
    ...and the 2009 version of Brother deserves mentioning. Got some radio play back in 2009 (I think) yet hasn't been performed since 2010 (I think).
    which is super disappointing! MYM gets played every show, what about some of these other great songs that are way better that never get played?
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    rummy said:
    which is super disappointing! MYM gets played every show, what about some of these other great songs that are way better that never get played?
    Agree 100% on MYM. Play it every 3 or 4 shows and breathe some life back into it.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    It was awesome with the lyrics added and they sounded great.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70
    Who You Are is my White Whale song, I guess I’m lucky because I’ve caught a couple of mine over the years, but that’s the one I can’t seem to catch.  Maybe next time....
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    rummy said:
    bigdeath said:
    What about World Wide Suicide?  Was the lead single off the album

Played 79 times on 06 tour (94% of shows)
    11 times on 07 tour (79% of shows)
    24 times during 08-13 tours
    Last time played 1/31/14
    This is definitely a good pick. Maybe not MORE than Who You Are but noteworthy indeed.

I think the issue with a lot of Self Titled is that vocal range isn't something Ed can handle very well anymore. They tune everything down off that album, which is super disappointing. Severed Hand is one of the few that still sounds great live.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,376
    tbergs said:
    It always had lyrics. They just officially released the instrumental version on Lost Dogs first
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    DB15740 said:
    Who You Are is my White Whale song, I guess I’m lucky because I’ve caught a couple of mine over the years, but that’s the one I can’t seem to catch.  Maybe next time....
    How close have you been?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    rummy said:
    Agree 100% on MYM. Play it every 3 or 4 shows and breathe some life back into it.  
    MYM = Do The Evolution

Makes the crowd go wild.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rummy said:

(I get that it might not be "greater" than Who You Are but we can't all just answer "yes" and that's it for the thread!)
    I never meant or said that Who You Are was the correct answer and all of you should just read and not respond or add songs to the discussion.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:
    It always had lyrics. They just officially released the instrumental version on Lost Dogs first
    The original version from the Rough Mixes of Ten is a bit better than the rehashed lyrics that ended up on Ten Redux, in my humble opinion (which is of course right cause its my opinion, quiet Lewbowski)

I love the absurdity of the packaging of a lot of the old illicit boots (yeah fucker I bought this one, sue me KC and crew, it is glorious) freaking joker productions as if they were getting access from pj themselves.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:
    The original version from the Rough Mixes of Ten is a bit better than the rehashed lyrics that ended up on Ten Redux, in my humble opinion (which is of course right cause its my opinion, quiet Lewbowski)

I love the absurdity of the packaging of a lot of the old illicit boots (yeah fucker I bought this one, sue me KC and crew, it is glorious) freaking joker productions as if they were getting access from pj themselves.  

Where the Brother vocals re-recorded by Vedder (like Hard to Imagine on Lost Dogs) or is it an alternate vocal track from the Ten sessions ?
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    Moline proved that the band can rock this song and should play it more. I’m guessing someone in the band really doesn’t like playing it.
  • Options
    rummy said:

I never meant or said that Who You Are was the correct answer and all of you should just read and not respond or add songs to the discussion.
    It's just that you are probably right. WYA is the biggest single that never (rarely) gets played.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Saw Brother in 09, Melbourne.  It rocked.

Just wanted to add that.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Dissident has taken quite a hit lately...and didn't Glorified G get some sort of promotional release? One is lucky to hear that one these days.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    PB11041 said:
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:

Where the Brother vocals re-recorded by Vedder (like Hard to Imagine on Lost Dogs) or is it an alternate vocal track from the Ten sessions ?
    I think they were, but I can't say that for sure without a lot of the evidence in front of me.  I think either in liner notes or in the pj20 book it states that the vocals were re-recorded.  But again, that is without the stuff in front of me.  

I don't think that HTI on Lost Dogs is simply a vocal re-record though.  I believe the version that is on Lost Dogs was a studio take done during either the vs. or Vitalogy sessions.  The Chicago Cab take was apparently with Jack during sessions that ultimately became No Code. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    edited March 2019
    PJNB said:
    rummy said:
    MYM = Do The Evolution

Makes the crowd go wild.
    MYM by far had the second most people going to the aisles at Fenway last year. Evenflow had the most. MYM is nowheres near the level of DTE and I am not a big DTE fan. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    rummy said:
    MYM = Do The Evolution

Makes the crowd go wild.
    MYM by far had the second most people going to the aisles at Fenway last year. Evenflow had the most. MYM is nowheres near the level of DTE and I am not a big DTE fan. 
    Granted, I have not looked up towards the aisles at any Pearl Jam show (since I was located back in the arena in Philadelphia I guess) but my feeling is the crowd (tenclub area) get into it like DTE. But maybe the casuals further back has a diametrically opposite response to it. Never seen that though.

Anecdotally - the response looks good in Barcelona (should start at the correct spot):

https://youtu.be/XrJhgscVMQY?t=761 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MYM can be a song on fire and other times really flat. All I am saying is that it is not a song that should be played at every show and giving a couple of nights off in a row will give the song a boost imo. DTE is played at almost every show and the crowd is usually into it. Also every song looked good Barcelona. Wish I made that show. Great crowd. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    MYM can be a song on fire and other times really flat. All I am saying is that it is not a song that should be played at every show and giving a couple of nights off in a row will give the song a boost imo. DTE is played at almost every show and the crowd is usually into it. Also every song looked good Barcelona. Wish I made that show. Great crowd. 
    Yeah wish I had too. Never been to Spain.
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,800
    How about “The Fixer”?  Played 91 between 2009 - 2012 and only 4 times since.  It was the first single off Backspacer. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    D-Rod said:
    How about “The Fixer”?  Played 91 between 2009 - 2012 and only 4 times since.  It was the first single off Backspacer. 
    WOW! How did we forget about this one!??!
    I'm very surprised by how much this one has dropped off like a lead balloon!
  • Options
    rummy said:
    D-Rod said:
    WOW! How did we forget about this one!??!
    I'm very surprised by how much this one has dropped off like a lead balloon!
    I knew it was gone in 2018. But didn't know it was gone as early as 2013. :O    
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    D-Rod said:
    I thought it was pretty good live, i'm really surprised it feel off like this.  Good call.
    I remember why go also feel off the face of the earth from 1996-2003.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    D-Rod said:
    I thought it was pretty good live, i'm really surprised it feel off like this.  Good call.
    I love the version at Boston 2003. Aments bass.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    D-Rod said:
    ...and Deep, too!