Has any PJ song died faster and greater than "Who You Are"?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited March 2019 in The Porch
Played 25 times our of 35 shows on the -96 tour -- to 2 times out of 67 shows in 98 and then died completely (until resurrected for a tour or two)
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

All of these have a case plus many others. There are quite a few songs that were played a lot during the album tour then fell off the face of the earth. Get Right takes the cake on this one though imo. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2019
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

All of these have a case plus many others. There are quite a few songs that were played a lot during the album tour then fell off the face of the earth. Get Right takes the cake on this one though imo. 
    Get Right wasn't a radio single though, and was "only" played 16 times out of 77 on that album tour. But yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Ole :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    i think it's difficult for them to play live
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

Get Right wasn't a radio single though, and was "only" played 16 times out of 77 on that album tour. But yes.
    Where in your original post do you mention the song has to be a radio single??
    Your thread title is:
    Has ANY PJ song died faster & greater than "Who You Are"?

'16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• bigdeathbigdeath Chicago Posts: 80
    What about World Wide Suicide?  Was the lead single off the album

Played 79 times on 06 tour (94% of shows)
    11 times on 07 tour (79% of shows)
    24 times during 08-13 tours
    Last time played 1/31/14
    edited March 2019
    derbydave said:
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

Your thread title is:

It wasn't mentioned specifically - but implied in "greater" is that Who You Are - being a radio single and played more frequent on the -96 tour - fell greater than Get Right.

Hopefully that makes my post more clear. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Yeah, it always bums me out that they lean so heavily on covers when they have plenty of their own tunes that never or rarely get played.
    edited March 2019
    bigdeath said:
    What about World Wide Suicide?  Was the lead single off the album

Played 79 times on 06 tour (94% of shows)
    11 times on 07 tour (79% of shows)
    24 times during 08-13 tours
    Last time played 1/31/14
    It's so weird that, that song was stopped being played all together. The same with Fixer - played once in 2018?
    derbydave said:
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

Your thread title is:

It wasn't mentioned specifically - but implied in "greater" is that Who You Are - being a radio single and played more frequent on the -96 tour - fell greater than Get Right.

Hopefully that makes my post more clear. If that - than maybe what you fear can meet you half way!
    I guess my mind-reading skills aren't up to par.

derbydave said:
    derbydave said:
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

Your thread title is:

Hopefully that makes my post more clear. If that - than maybe what you fear can meet you half way!
    I guess my mind-reading skills aren't up to par.
    Didn't need mind-reading. I argued for my case of "greater" in the post you quoted :)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    Sirens.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    I think Who You Are was clearly more heavily phased out with Jacks leaving the band.  The only 2 times they played it in 1998 was during the OZ/New Zealand leg.  Same thing happened with In My Tree, they tried it twice with Matt but did get it off the ground again until 2000, and even then is clearly was not resonating as it was altered and played sparingly in 2003. 

One they have very much struggled to embrace live is No Way.  Not sure why, because that song has such a good vibe but they just couldn't embrace it in the live show.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

It was a radio single
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

It was a radio single

igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    Can't Keep
    Parting Ways
    Marker in the Sand
    Get Right

It was a radio single

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=287

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
     I clearly remember the Get Right debut on my favorite radio station at the time.  Didnt get a good response tho
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Haha, I heard who you are right next to in my tree in Moline in 2014. :-P
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Played 25 times our of 35 shows on the -96 tour -- to 2 times out of 67 shows in 08 and then died completely (until resurrected for a tour or two)
    Think you meant to type 98 here.  In 08 they broke it out for half the tour (albeit the tour was only 15 shows).
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I definitely had no clue that get right was a radio single. It literally got zero air play here. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    PB11041 said:
    I think Who You Are was clearly more heavily phased out with Jacks leaving the band.  The only 2 times they played it in 1998 was during the OZ/New Zealand leg.  Same thing happened with In My Tree, they tried it twice with Matt but did get it off the ground again until 2000, and even then is clearly was not resonating as it was altered and played sparingly in 2003. 

One they have very much struggled to embrace live is No Way.  Not sure why, because that song has such a good vibe but they just couldn't embrace it in the live show.  

This reason. Jacks sound. I do sometimes wonder while sitting in my tree, all the guests that come up on stage, to sing, play guitar, how often do they boot Mike off so a drummer can sit in? not counting HOF.

At this stage I doubt Stone would care if Jack and Ed were to say... play either of those two songs at Ohana.

Played 25 times our of 35 shows on the -96 tour -- to 2 times out of 67 shows in 08 and then died completely (until resurrected for a tour or two)
    Think you meant to type 98 here.  In 08 they broke it out for half the tour (albeit the tour was only 15 shows).
    Yes. My mistake. 

Lucky to get it in 2014! Think it's a nice song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kOrYCXWcos

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Damn I just did some research and saw that I haven't seen "who you are" live since 2008!  Eleven years ago!!!  wow.
    I've seen it four times and the breakdown is:

9/29/96

6/19/08
    6/22/08
    6/25/08
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    I definitely had no clue that get right was a radio single. It literally got zero air play here. 
    radio was dying a cold hard death most everywhere in 2002-03 thanks to Clear Channel consolidation.  I recall like a smidge amount of playing of I am Mine, then mostly silence.  When the self titled record came out in 2006 I had been living up in the capital region of upstate NY for a couple of years at that point, there is a station out of Vermont WEQX, they played World Wide Suicide frequently, but the standard rock Clear Channel stations not so much.  Seismic shift.  It all really began post Yield, the formats all began to consolidate and the playlists were formulaic.   By the time Riot Act came along, not a chance.   Wasn't like 1992 -1995 when the stations played whatever they wanted.   

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    radio was dying a cold hard death most everywhere in 2002-03 thanks to Clear Channel consolidation.  I recall like a smidge amount of playing of I am Mine, then mostly silence.  When the self titled record came out in 2006 I had been living up in the capital region of upstate NY for a couple of years at that point, there is a station out of Vermont WEQX, they played World Wide Suicide frequently, but the standard rock Clear Channel stations not so much.  Seismic shift.  It all really began post Yield, the formats all began to consolidate and the playlists were formulaic.   By the time Riot Act came along, not a chance.   Wasn't like 1992 -1995 when the stations played whatever they wanted.   
    Good point. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good point. 
    Often amazed to look back and see how much airtime Black, Yellow Ledbetter, Corduroy, Betterman got without being released as singles.  There is a weird promo of the latter two that seems sketchy in terms of its authenticity (not Sony/Epic tied)  Ledbetter was yes a b-side to a commercially released single, but who played a b-side on the radio, that was a different world. 

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get Right was technically a promotional single

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited March 2019
    A) Who You Are is a great song, especially the RVM version.

B1) Has any (modern) B-side ever gotten as much radio love as YLed?
    B2) Speaking of that, this site mentions YLed as a B-side to Daughter. It isn't wrong, but...

C) Whoever went to Moline, or really any "album show" doesn't have to brag. Grrrr. (Haha, all good...brag on!)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    i think it's difficult for them to play live
    Particularly the drums I think.  I'm not a drummer but the time in which that song wasn't played coincided with Matt taking over drums and likely it took awhile for him to get it (I would think). 

As to the B-sides being hits I think that was intentional after Vs.  Even early on they didn't want Black to be a single and the longevity of the band is due at least in part the pulling back and not having catchy singles and not chasing that next big thing.  No one ever gets sick of too much Pearl Jam, now more than ever.  They always leave you wanting more and more which is why they still exist and have such a long career.  
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get Right was technically a promotional single

Correct, but that is really the sole purpose of promo singles to put them on the radio vs retail.