The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    my2hands said:
    Girls night out!!!

Oh, maybe now its Womens night out!!!

Lol, gimme a f'ing break
    Looks like someone needs a Biden kiss on the nose. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's interesting that two of the most vocal anti Biden here, Cincy and Two Hands, are generally critical of Democrats.  Coincidence?
    Coincidence that we try to call it fairly regardless of party? 

You realize i'm a registered Democrat that has never voted for a Republican, right? that has openly stated i will likely be voting Biden in the primary, and have voted for him previously? That doesn't mean i'm going excuse it away as creepy innocence and try to act like nothing is there... blame Joe not Cincy & I

And yes, i will always hold my party accountable and to a high standard... and YES i'm always going to question and criticize politicians in all parties, especially my own 

Feel free to go back to your team sport, go blue! :)
    You haven't said anything positive about a democratic position or negative about a Republican one in forever. If im wrong,  then I apologize.  And I think you've seen me criticize a host of progressive positions where I think they are too liberal. 
    Democrats platform since late 2015: Trump sucks... am i missing something? You really need someone else in this tiny echo chamber repeating that ad nauseam 

GOP positions, i disagree with 75-90% if them top to bottom,  maybe more... again, you need someone else in here screaming how bad they suck? Fuck dude, how boring do you want this place. It's a rock bands message board, you want me to bang out policy positions with my phone and debate them with people that won't change their mind anyway? Yeah, no thanks. 

Sorry i dont meet your standards of being a good Democrat, or AMT Team Blue member, i'll try harder 

What i have been saying for 6 months is being a bunch of elitist name calling assholes isnt going to win 2020, and makes us as bad as those we supposedly despise. And the russian red scare has been oversold. Oh, and cable news is divisive toxic bullshit. 

It's so funny... if you dont get in lockstep with the bullshit talking points here on the AMT, people think you're GOP or a Trumper lol

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's interesting that two of the most vocal anti Biden here, Cincy and Two Hands, are generally critical of Democrats.  Coincidence?

You realize i'm a registered Democrat that has never voted for a Republican, right? that has openly stated i will likely be voting Biden in the primary, and have voted for him previously? That doesn't mean i'm going excuse it away as creepy innocence and try to act like nothing is there... blame Joe not Cincy & I

And yes, i will always hold my party accountable and to a high standard... and YES i'm always going to question and criticize politicians in all parties, especially my own 

You haven't said anything positive about a democratic position or negative about a Republican one in forever. If im wrong,  then I apologize.  And I think you've seen me criticize a host of progressive positions where I think they are too liberal. 
    Democrats platform since late 2015: Trump sucks... am i missing something? You really need someone else in this tiny echo chamber repeating that ad nauseam 

GOP positions, i disagree with 75-90% if them top to bottom,  maybe more... again, you need someone else in here screaming how bad they suck? Fuck dude, how boring do you want this place. It's a rock bands message board, you want me to bang out policy positions with my phone and debate them with people that won't change their mind anyway? Yeah, no thanks. 

Sorry i dont meet your standards of being a good Democrat, or AMT Team Blue member, i'll try harder 

What i have been saying for 6 months is being a bunch of elitist name calling assholes isnt going to win 2020, and makes us as bad as those we supposedly despise. And the russian red scare has been oversold. Oh, and cable news is divisive toxic bullshit. 

It's so funny... if you dont get in lockstep with the bullshit talking points here on the AMT, people think you're GOP or a Trumper lol

It's also funny that you think one person speaks for all.  Not the case.  H2M is the most passionate anti trump person here and most vocal.  But not everyone agrees with everything he says. 

Your message contradicts itself.  You don't want to waste your time debating policy with people that won't change their mind,  but you do want to argue with them about their elitism? Do you think that's more effective and more likely to change? 

Last,  there are plenty of people here who debate policy.  If you think that's boring,  well no one can help that.  

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Uncomfortable when someone touches, rubs, sniffs, or otherwise gets too close?

Step back politely and say, "I'm sorry. I'm really not a hugger" or "Thanks, but I just don't like my neck rubbed." I've said things like this many times in my life, and it's always been followed by an apology and a friendly discussion about different preferences about personal space. 

One time at a party, a drunk guy -- friend of a former boyfriend -- thought he could sneak a grab of my ass. I yanked his hand off me so fast and hard that he went tumbling over the patio furniture and onto the ground. Didn't have to say a word. Nobody else but he and I knew that I was the one who sent him tumbling. I told my boyfriend when we left the party, and he later called the friend to cuss him out. That was the last time we spent time with that person.

Another time my best friend's new boyfriend (now her husband) made a comment about my figure when we met. I immediately told him, with a sharp smile, to quit being a perv. He is definitely one of those guys who loves to touch in a Joe-Bidenish kind of way, I've come to learn, but he's completely harmless. I openly shared my boundaries from the beginning and he's never crossed it since. We're great friends now, and he's a fantastic husband for my friend. 

If women keep running around with the "I'm just not comfortable saying/doing anything in the moment," then they will continue to be treated like victims. Act like a victim and people will treat you like a victim. It's not that hard to speak up for yourself. Parents, teach your young girls to speak!!

Saying nothing, no matter what it is, doesn't give any man any chance to self-correct if his intentions are good. And if you do say something and the behavior continues-- that's when you know you're dealing with a creep. Call the media.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    Girls night out!!!

Lol, gimme a f'ing break
    “Don’t you go complaining about my language, girl!”

How very progressive. 
    The funny part is 90% of the women in my office refer to each other as "girl" constantly... also when i watch Real Housewives of Atlanta with my gf, they constantly refer to each other as "girl"

Maybe it's learned? Lol

Or it is like the N word, where only black people can use it? 

Some folks are SOOOOOO uptight, do they get out and socialize in the world,  or just read PC guidelines? Lol
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    If you are going to try to make the case that Biden is creepy and/or out of touch, I suggest also referring to adult females as "women."
    Hahahaha “girl” is more offensive than a creepy dude that continues to touch women inappropriately? Interesting priorities.
    As a woman, I say there is nothing "creepy" about Biden at all. He does need to stop being so damned affectionate like that obviously. I'm sure he's now learned his lesson. I'm guessing nobody has called him on it before exactly because it is completely innocent, kind behaviour, and it was awkward to mention.
    I would like to say that I am PISSED that the #metoo movement is being weaponized in this way.
    I don’t think it’s weaponized. This is exactly part of the purpose. To get old creepy guys to understand when they had been creepy and to stop.

Its fine if you don’t think it’s creepy. The ladies who have come out thought it was. I think it is. I wouldn’t leave my daughter alone with him. He obviously doesn’t understand how not to behave like a creep.

No, it is not part of the purpose IMO. Making a nice, innocent person to look like a creepy pervert is most definitely not part of the purpose. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't stop, but this is a SMEAR campaign, not friendly advice to stop being so friendly and affectionate in a completely non-sexual way. And it is VERY clearly being used as a political weapon in this case.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,111
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    If you are going to try to make the case that Biden is creepy and/or out of touch, I suggest also referring to adult females as "women."
    Hahahaha “girl” is more offensive than a creepy dude that continues to touch women inappropriately? Interesting priorities.
    As a woman, I say there is nothing "creepy" about Biden at all. He does need to stop being so damned affectionate like that obviously. I'm sure he's now learned his lesson. I'm guessing nobody has called him on it before exactly because it is completely innocent, kind behaviour, and it was awkward to mention.
    I would like to say that I am PISSED that the #metoo movement is being weaponized in this way.
    I don’t think it’s weaponized. This is exactly part of the purpose. To get old creepy guys to understand when they had been creepy and to stop.

Its fine if you don’t think it’s creepy. The ladies who have come out thought it was. I think it is. I wouldn’t leave my daughter alone with him. He obviously doesn’t understand how not to behave like a creep.

No, it is not part of the purpose IMO. Making a nice, innocent person to look like a creepy pervert is most definitely not part of the purpose. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't stop, but this is a SMEAR campaign, not friendly advice to stop being so friendly and affectionate in a completely non-sexual way. And it is VERY clearly being used as a political weapon in this case.
    Sniffing hair is friendly and affectionate?  Seriously?  Dude is straight up creepy.  What he has been doing is creepy and inappropriate and needs to stop.  And people need to stop making excuses for him.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:

You do strike me as a conservative in a liberal's (or whatever you think of yourself as) body.  You don't like Trump and you do vote Democrat.  But I think you prefer Trump voters as people to anti-Trump folks, or at least the ones here.  You call us PC (a right-wing way to dismiss dialog), you call us elitist (a right-wing way to trumpet ignorance over data, knowledge, and expertise). You trumpet America as #1 (case closed). Sometimes it seems like you like to "own the libs."  I honestly can't tell whether you think that the best folk in the world are Trump folk or if you are just trying to overcompensate for the "echo chamber."  Either way, it's kinda draining and I say this as someone with history of draining people with my negativity.  That's just how I am reading and taking it; can't speak for anyone else.

Look, in some ways, the left drives me nuts just like with you. The confidence that Trump was going to lose because he was a buffoon was bad enough, but carrying that same exact attitude to this point (and presumably to 2020) is kinda frightening.  And if Trump wins (a probability) you and I will not be surprised and most of the left somehow will.  "He's an idiot; nobody should vote for him!"  should not be on anyone's lips after 2016.  And I come here to vent since it's anonymous.  You may catch me saying that with Trump and his three oldest, we're looking at 30 more years.  I really believe that's possible.  

But you seem to have a lot of disdain for the rest of us.  And some of it seems rooted in our "Trump Derangement Syndrome."  That and the "echo chamber" factor.  Would it be more valuable to have smart, respectful discussion from all sides?  Sure.  But that's not really a thing, any more. Anywhere.  So we all share the love a band that leans left and, particularly given its whiteness, a fanbase that leans disproportionately left.  It's an echo chamber; accept it and determine whether you want to be there.

A key difference?  Your thought seems to be "yeah, Trump sucks but so did all the other presidents; we'll be OK."  I can't speak for others but for me, I think this is different. I think authoritarianism is a legitimate possibility.  Trump wants it.  The GOP is OK with it.  40% of the country seems OK with it.  We're in the early phases; villainizing the media and all political opponents the way we do.  If this had happened 30 years ago, I think we'd have state news by now.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I don't know if it's true or not, but a CNN contributor actually thinks that Joe's problems stem from OP-POLITICS from the Bernie Sanders camp.

Crowding someone like that is actually Disorderly Conduct and/or Disturbing the Peace in District of Columbia. 
    So is riling up people in crowds to the edge of violence.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:

1. On the "name-calling assholes" (which, by the way, ironically you became one of when you wrote this and called 'em all assholes) - I and several other closer-to-DNC-leaners on here have spent great lengths to talk about the counter-productive nature of mocking your debate opponents. That said, I haven't sees any of this effort from you to be above this behaviour to date. You should practice what you preach, or stop preaching. Either would be nice.

2. You know what happens when everyone agrees about a topic? They stop discussing it because there's nothing to discuss. You're regularly the one who comes on here and reminds people how delusional you find them to be. You keep the conversation you'd like to end alive. More irony.

3. Cable news IS divisive toxic bullshit. I assume that's where you got the notion that your short list of topics are the only Democratic platform points since 2015.

4. If you come here to shit on everyone and only point out what they're not, people won't care what you are (GOP, Trumper, Democrat, rhino), and they certainly won't care what you have to say. 

Take it or leave it, but how you're making your points is not conducive to them being accepted. I won't pretend I feel that I've had much more luck, but I work extremely hard to not be a dick. And I won't ever regret that.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Girls night out!!!

Lol, gimme a f'ing break
    “Don’t you go complaining about my language, girl!”

How very progressive. 
    The funny part is 90% of the women in my office refer to each other as "girl" constantly... also when i watch Real Housewives of Atlanta with my gf, they constantly refer to each other as "girl"

Maybe it's learned? Lol

Or it is like the N word, where only black people can use it? 

Some folks are SOOOOOO uptight, do they get out and socialize in the world,  or just read PC guidelines? Lol
    It is.  It's very common.  I do it all the time.  It's just part of our culture.  But a lot of wrong things are part of our culture.  There was a time when we called people "colored."  If you'd been around when we stopped doing it and "PC" had been a term...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    republican VP won't have dinner with females and calls his wife mother - creepy as fuck who probably secretly lusts after his own mother
    democratic VP puts his hands on women/colleagues, massages them, sniffs their hair, kisses them on the nose - nice and innocent guy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    republican VP won't have dinner with females and calls his wife mother - creepy as fuck who probably secretly lusts after his own mother
    democratic VP puts his hands on women/colleagues, massages them, sniffs their hair, kisses them on the nose - nice and innocent guy. 
    More normal to kiss someone on the nose than being a religious nut. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If Trump exhibited the same behavior as Biden there would be a 100 page thread on it right now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sniffing hair is friendly and affectionate?  Seriously?  Dude is straight up creepy.  What he has been doing is creepy and inappropriate and needs to stop.  And people need to stop making excuses for him.
    Come on Cincy...you mean you do not go around sniffing hair, rubbing noses.  LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    These are both fucking weird, neither individual has a recorded history of anything beyond 'fucking weird' behaviour. I really think they're cut from the same cloth.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    If Trump exhibited the same behavior as Biden there would be a 100 page thread on it right now.
    We only need to evaluate his own words to understand his intent.  None of us know Biden's.  We could also count court filings as another point of reference. Or dollars paid to mistresses .
  • Options
    I think, though, that the public and media has its own way of determining what is and is not a non-starter.  Joe is going to be unelectable.  Pence is not.  That's in part because nearly half the country has thrown away any moral code to ride Trump. But it is what it is.  Biden is done.

That said, there are tiny little things the left is picking apart about most of 'em.  Klobuchar is too pragmatic.  Gillebrand went too hard after Franken.  Hopefully we have more than a picked-apart carcus to run in 2020.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    benjs said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:

1. On the "name-calling assholes" (which, by the way, ironically you became one of when you wrote this and called 'em all assholes) - I and several other closer-to-DNC-leaners on here have spent great lengths to talk about the counter-productive nature of mocking your debate opponents. That said, I haven't sees any of this effort from you to be above this behaviour to date. You should practice what you preach, or stop preaching. Either would be nice.

2. You know what happens when everyone agrees about a topic? They stop discussing it because there's nothing to discuss. You're regularly the one who comes on here and reminds people how delusional you find them to be. You keep the conversation you'd like to end alive. More irony.

3. Cable news IS divisive toxic bullshit. I assume that's where you got the notion that your short list of topics are the only Democratic platform points since 2015.

4. If you come here to shit on everyone and only point out what they're not, people won't care what you are (GOP, Trumper, Democrat, rhino), and they certainly won't care what you have to say. 

Take it or leave it, but how you're making your points is not conducive to them being accepted. I won't pretend I feel that I've had much more luck, but I work extremely hard to not be a dick. And I won't ever regret that.
    A point I have tried to make several times. well said benjs. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Seems that way.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Come on Cincy...you mean you do not go around sniffing hair, rubbing noses.  LOL
    I'll try it out at the bar tonight...I'll report back...unless of course I'm in jail or the hospital.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I think, though, that the public and media has its own way of determining what is and is not a non-starter.  Joe is going to be unelectable.  Pence is not.  That's in part because nearly half the country has thrown away any moral code to ride Trump. But it is what it is.  Biden is done.

That said, there are tiny little things the left is picking apart about most of 'em.  Klobuchar is too pragmatic.  Gillebrand went too hard after Franken.  Hopefully we have more than a picked-apart carcus to run in 2020.
    The Democrats eat their own in the quest for purity and inability to forgive. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll try it out at the bar tonight...I'll report back...unless of course I'm in jail or the hospital.
    LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

The Democrats eat their own in the quest for purity and inability to forgive. 
    Yep.  Great can be the enemy of good.  We probably don't have a great candidate but the Dems threaten to tarnish the hell out of any of their own good ones.  I wish I was a conservative.  I'd love watching the Dems destroy their eventual candidate this way while my immoral, perververted, lying, racist shyster breezes through the 2020 election unscathed by his party.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    These are both fucking weird, neither individual has a recorded history of anything beyond 'fucking weird' behaviour. I really think they're cut from the same cloth.
    Mike Pence has his own line of weird.  

He should be immortalized in bronze just like this.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Biden is a prime example of the problem democrats face going forward.  The weaponizing of outrage for everything over the past several years will eat the party alive within.  Ol Joe probably has the best chance against Trump and the GOP doesn't even need to lift a finger to have him dismissed.
  • Options
    They better formulate some plan to work against Trumpito...petty differences about stupid shit brought on by other candidates is LAME.

You know, you're allowed to work together as a team. Seems crazy, right?

You're may actually need a team to repair the damage this puke has rendered on the Republic.  Rebuilding the State Department is a good place to start.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Biden is a prime example of the problem democrats face going forward.  The weaponizing of outrage for everything over the past several years will eat the party alive within.  Ol Joe probably has the best chance against Trump and the GOP doesn't even need to lift a finger to have him dismissed.
    BUT THE EDGE EDGE
This discussion has been closed.