Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Hi! said:
    Just got off the phone with my 70+ Yr. old parents to get their perspective.
    They liked Beto the best
    Thought Biden did well and think he’s probably best to go against Trump
    They really like Pete, but he can’t win
    They like the idea of Medicare for those who want it, not Medicare for all.(They have Pensions)
    They like Sanders, but thought he seems angry.
    Did y'all only talk about the white males on stage? ;)
    They had some thoughts on Castro.😉

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Biden dominated.
    Really?  That's interesting.  Cause the part I saw he was mostly terrible.  How did he dominate?

Like I said I missed the first 20 or so minutes and the last bit as well.
    Ha, what people want to believe is so interesting. He did not, in fact, dominate.
    Lol, maybe a little exaggeration. How do you think he did? 
    I think anytime he tried to make a cogent point he kept spinning his wheels.

My hot takes for the internet black hole to shout into the nothing:

All of those candidates will be in a cabinet together, except for Joe - he'll retire.

Debates on network/cable tv will always have questions couched in a way that are leading and infer fact when they're opinions.

For everyone bitching that anyone but Joe couldn't handle Trump in a debate? 'the fuck? Did you see last night? Based on that you think he's the no-doubt-about-it masturbater, I mean master debater to "take" Fuckface on?

I absolutely loved the host's question  to Harris about being on a historically black college and calling out her criminal justice history. Loved that, incredibly poignant. 

Also for calling out Amy for being a fucking cop, too. Loved it. Also, Amy was all over the place in her "we're on the same team", but then pushing that she's not the one pushing us to extremes. You don't get to have it both ways. Either separate yourself or shut the fuck up about being a 'centrist' when you're really not (I hate the term 'centrist' to begin with). This is a primary, you better find a way to actually stand  for something or GTFO. Loved that Castro called her out for it, too.

I don't see how Castro is hurting his chances as VP. If anything he increased his chances last night with anyone not named Joe Biden. And I don't think his attack on Biden was out of line. Joe's up there pumping the 'Merika bullshit and 'I love Obama! I was a part of that!' when Castro had the balls to call him out that you don't get to own some things that are good and not the things that are bad (immigration). Joe wants to run on the coattails of Obama, but then when pressed on the immigration issue by Castro, and the Spanish host, he essentially threw his hands up and resigned himself to say "I was VP" to separate himself. And regarding healthcare Julian called him out for saying basically "you keep telling everyone they will be covered but not unless they opt in", and Castro's point is that he's not acknowledging those presently marginalized. 

Loved Bernie's response about those uninsured, under-insured and out of work.

Kamala came for the jokes and zings.

Yang needs to take his collar and Willy Wonka golden tickets and drop out.

Buttigieg I think is only able to talk in grand platitudes and shape his message for white people in the midwest. If anyone wanted to make a legity case strictly on the basis of an empty candidate that could beat Trump in a debate it's Pete not Joe.

Beto was strong. He's going all-in on the shootings and gun control and I'm here for it.

Bernie came off as the curmudgeon that he is. He is sinking for me while others are rising - the biggest reason is I've really delved into his view on the Supreme Court and I don't like it.

Program was set up for the first half hour to make the three favorites go at it with the healthcare debate. Nothing new was learned here. Warren is trying to be holistic in her point about medicare for all. But honestly I'd like her to some out and just say, "yes, you're taxes will go up", then follow it with your total costs will go down. Of course she won't because the term "middle class" isn't even a thing anymore so to answer it it will identify with people that are in fact not middle class (they're upper-middle to upper-) but like to still pretend they identify as middle class and they'll clutch their fucking pearls.

I came for the health insurance, education, criminal justice reform, gun violence, and climate change topics. Refreshingly, Cory hit the right answer on nearly all of them. But when did he become a steward for Medicare for All? 

I keep coming back to the fact that the more Joe talks the more he's exposed. Based on pure health reasons - that I base on nothing but his appearance on the tee vee - I don't know if this guy's not going to be a skeleton by the actual elections.

If I had to rank choice right now I'm going 1) Warren 2) Beto (he has creeped up for me going all-in on the gun issue) 3) Julian 4) Cory  (both Cory and Julian have been solid in every debate, just are never going to get traction) 5) Bernie (sinking quickly for me). Everyone else can get out. It's down to five candidates for me for the primary.

Anyway, that's my mouthful of hot garbage.

Warren/Castro 2020
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    I would vote for any of these ten in the general election, but I don't think any of them dissuaded me from voting for Bill Weld against Trump on primary day. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2019
    Beto losing my support based on his approach to gun control (mass confiscation essentially).  I do still admire his airdrumming and Napoleon Dynamite mimicking though.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Everyone always says Bernie seems angry.  I say democrat, republican, and everyone in between: we should ALL be as angry as Bernie Sanders right now.  We have a fucking clown for President trying to become a god damn dictator.  We have corporations buying the government.  We have corporations writing laws.  We have corporations and individuals with billions of dollars in profit & worth not paying a fucking dime in taxes.  We imprison, starve, strip, foreclose, demolish, gentrify every minority community in the nation.  Most of the country can't afford medicine, some can't even afford to go to the doctor. Most of the country can't pay for college.  Mass shootings almost daily and nothing EVER gets done.  If I spent 50 years fighting against all that and continue to see the greed, corruption, hatred, & division growing stronger around me when I'm the only one fighting for the People, I'd be pretty damn angry, too.
  • Options
    Everyone always says Bernie seems angry.  I say democrat, republican, and everyone in between: we should ALL be as angry as Bernie Sanders right now.  We have a fucking clown for President trying to become a god damn dictator.  We have corporations buying the government.  We have corporations writing laws.  We have corporations and individuals with billions of dollars in profit & worth not paying a fucking dime in taxes.  We imprison, starve, strip, foreclose, demolish, gentrify every minority community in the nation.  Most of the country can't afford medicine, some can't even afford to go to the doctor. Most of the country can't pay for college.  Mass shootings almost daily and nothing EVER gets done.  If I spent 50 years fighting against all that and continue to see the greed, corruption, hatred, & division growing stronger around me when I'm the only one fighting for the People, I'd be pretty damn angry, too.
    I don't disagree. If you are not angry then you are either complicit or not paying attention. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    I don't disagree. If you are not angry then you are either complicit or not paying attention. 
    Absolutely. I just hope anger leads to voting and not apathy.
  • Options
    If you spent 50 years fighting it, and you are still fighting it and trying to be the leader to fight it...you've been unsuccessful for 50 years, why should you get the top spot to be unsuccessful for another 4-8?

Bernie is the only candidate on that stage that I will not vote for at this point.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    JimmyV said:
    I would vote for any of these ten in the general election, but I don't think any of them dissuaded me from voting for Bill Weld against Trump on primary day. 

Which is synonymous with voting for trump because that's the goal it accomplishes. 
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Just got off the phone with my 70+ Yr. old parents to get their perspective.
    They liked Beto the best
    Thought Biden did well and think he’s probably best to go against Trump
    They really like Pete, but he can’t win
    They like the idea of Medicare for those who want it, not Medicare for all.(They have Pensions)
    They like Sanders, but thought he seems angry.
    Did y'all only talk about the white males on stage? ;)

Because that is who white women vote for?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Which is synonymous with voting for trump because that's the goal it accomplishes. 
    The laziest of thinking. I live in one of the bluest states in the country and by primary day Warren is likely to steamroll here no matter who I vote for. 

• Options
    If you spent 50 years fighting it, and you are still fighting it and trying to be the leader to fight it...you've been unsuccessful for 50 years, why should you get the top spot to be unsuccessful for another 4-8?

Bernie is the only candidate on that stage that I will not vote for at this point.
    Jesus that's a horrible and idiotic take.
  • Options

But 72% of general election voters are white and if 70% of them vote in unison like last time they control the election. 
  • Options

He's all talk and blame.  Blame, blame blame...same MO as the president with a different target.  Go away Bernie.  Thinking Bernie is the answer to any of this is the horrible and idiotic take.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

But 72% of general election voters are white and if 70% of them vote in unison like last time they control the election. 
    Did you come here to respond to a comment from Twitter by someone who is not in this forum?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

How is voting against trump in a primary = to voting for trump in a general election?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Bernie believes what he believes and genuinely wants to help people. We can disagree with him, but we can also do much worse than him. 

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Biden dominated.
    Really?  That's interesting.  Cause the part I saw he was mostly terrible.  How did he dominate?

Like I said I missed the first 20 or so minutes and the last bit as well.
    Ha, what people want to believe is so interesting. He did not, in fact, dominate.
    Lol, maybe a little exaggeration. How do you think he did? 
    I think anytime he tried to make a cogent point he kept spinning his wheels.

My hot takes for the internet black hole to shout into the nothing:

All of those candidates will be in a cabinet together, except for Joe - he'll retire.

Debates on network/cable tv will always have questions couched in a way that are leading and infer fact when they're opinions.

For everyone bitching that anyone but Joe couldn't handle Trump in a debate? 'the fuck? Did you see last night? Based on that you think he's the no-doubt-about-it masturbater, I mean master debater to "take" Fuckface on?

I absolutely loved the host's question  to Harris about being on a historically black college and calling out her criminal justice history. Loved that, incredibly poignant. 

Also for calling out Amy for being a fucking cop, too. Loved it. Also, Amy was all over the place in her "we're on the same team", but then pushing that she's not the one pushing us to extremes. You don't get to have it both ways. Either separate yourself or shut the fuck up about being a 'centrist' when you're really not (I hate the term 'centrist' to begin with). This is a primary, you better find a way to actually stand  for something or GTFO. Loved that Castro called her out for it, too.

I don't see how Castro is hurting his chances as VP. If anything he increased his chances last night with anyone not named Joe Biden. And I don't think his attack on Biden was out of line. Joe's up there pumping the 'Merika bullshit and 'I love Obama! I was a part of that!' when Castro had the balls to call him out that you don't get to own some things that are good and not the things that are bad (immigration). Joe wants to run on the coattails of Obama, but then when pressed on the immigration issue by Castro, and the Spanish host, he essentially threw his hands up and resigned himself to say "I was VP" to separate himself. And regarding healthcare Julian called him out for saying basically "you keep telling everyone they will be covered but not unless they opt in", and Castro's point is that he's not acknowledging those presently marginalized. 

Loved Bernie's response about those uninsured, under-insured and out of work.

Kamala came for the jokes and zings.

Yang needs to take his collar and Willy Wonka golden tickets and drop out.

Buttigieg I think is only able to talk in grand platitudes and shape his message for white people in the midwest. If anyone wanted to make a legity case strictly on the basis of an empty candidate that could beat Trump in a debate it's Pete not Joe.

Beto was strong. He's going all-in on the shootings and gun control and I'm here for it.

Bernie came off as the curmudgeon that he is. He is sinking for me while others are rising - the biggest reason is I've really delved into his view on the Supreme Court and I don't like it.

Program was set up for the first half hour to make the three favorites go at it with the healthcare debate. Nothing new was learned here. Warren is trying to be holistic in her point about medicare for all. But honestly I'd like her to some out and just say, "yes, you're taxes will go up", then follow it with your total costs will go down. Of course she won't because the term "middle class" isn't even a thing anymore so to answer it it will identify with people that are in fact not middle class (they're upper-middle to upper-) but like to still pretend they identify as middle class and they'll clutch their fucking pearls.

I came for the health insurance, education, criminal justice reform, gun violence, and climate change topics. Refreshingly, Cory hit the right answer on nearly all of them. But when did he become a steward for Medicare for All? 

I keep coming back to the fact that the more Joe talks the more he's exposed. Based on pure health reasons - that I base on nothing but his appearance on the tee vee - I don't know if this guy's not going to be a skeleton by the actual elections.

If I had to rank choice right now I'm going 1) Warren 2) Beto (he has creeped up for me going all-in on the gun issue) 3) Julian 4) Cory  (both Cory and Julian have been solid in every debate, just are never going to get traction) 5) Bernie (sinking quickly for me). Everyone else can get out. It's down to five candidates for me for the primary.

Anyway, that's my mouthful of hot garbage.

Warren/Castro 2020

Debating one opponent vs nine are very different. Pretending the skills to excel are the same in a one on one matchup against trump is not being fair imo.

Being the frontrunner and fending off nine sided attacks is not an easy job , unless you are a cold blooded attack monster who  has little use for the truth (please see 2016 GOP primaries).

Joe did very well one on one in 2012, but I agree he needs to up his game.

Dems have unfortunately boxed themselves into a corner. Candidates 2, 3 and 4 want to make govt healthcare mandatory for all. As I've said often, I just dont see swing states enthusiastically  voting for that.

Anyone who disagrees, I challenge them to refer to  the aca mandate and what that did to congress and state legislatures. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961

He's all talk and blame.  Blame, blame blame...same MO as the president with a different target.  Go away Bernie.  Thinking Bernie is the answer to any of this is the horrible and idiotic take.
    Disagree....I think it would be a good thing for America to have him in the WH.  Congress still controls what goes to his desk.

I don't expect him to win but we need him.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

Disagree....I think it would be a good thing for America to have him in the WH.  Congress still controls what goes to his desk.

I don't expect him to win but we need him.
    That’s cool. All allowed opinions but he is pretty far from what we need, IMO. Very far actually. 

But what we need first and foremost is to get to get rid of trump. Then, we need a viable 2 party system (since it doesn’t seem like we can get more) where 1 party isn’t just hellbent I’m trying to get and keep power and maintains their ideals. 

But as far as Dems (even though like trump isn’t a Republicans, Bernie ain’t no Democrat), Bernie is a No go for me.  Just like trump was a no go for me in last election.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I think the debating as a front runner vs 9 attackers is an interesting point but doesn’t hold a ton of water. Cause it’s joes response to questions from the moderators where he falls apart and cannot be clear, stumbling and bumbling all over himself. If he’s the nominee I hope he is better in a 1-1 scenario. I fear trump makes him look bad...and we all know trump doesn’t have to stay with facts and truth so he has an advantage.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Everyone was great last night. All great candidates.

My only real concern is how well Biden will do as time goes on. It seems the more time he has the worse he does. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong. But as the field narrows he will get more time and we will see how well he holds out. Still will do well against Trump in a debate, but that's a pretty low bar. 

On the topic of Trump and the debates, I think people have a little bit of revisionist history there. He was terrible in the debates with Clinton. She mopped the floor with him.

• Options
    edited September 2019

‘My AR is ready for you’: Republican politician sent Beto O’Rourke ‘death threat’ after gun control pledge

‘My AR is ready for you,’ Texas state congressman says on Twitter

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/beto-orourke-briscoe-cain-tweet-death-threat-ar-15-gun-control-a9103531.html?utm_source=reddit.com

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I didn't watch, still catching up, but I did hear something about a "record player" mention by Joe. It's like some in the media don't know about the vinyl resurgence at all. The world isn't all downloads. :)  Have a lucky day.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    dignin said:

My only real concern is how well Biden will do as time goes on. It seems the more time he has the worse he does. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong. But as the field narrows he will get more time and we will see how well he holds out. Still will do well against Trump in a debate, but that's a pretty low bar. 

On the topic of Trump and the debates, I think people have a little bit of revisionist history there. He was terrible in the debates with Clinton. She mopped the floor with him.

I don’t mean trump will actually win a debate against Joe, but he could use some Biden moments to harp on and really make Joe and his blunders look bad. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:

I don’t mean trump will actually win a debate against Joe, but he could use some Biden moments to harp on and really make Joe and his blunders look bad. 
    I'm thinking how funny it could be if at that moment, Joe asked him what covfefe means...and a variety of other stupid tweet stuff. :)

• Options
    dignin said:

I agree, and I wasn't referring to your comments.

Someone here said Trump was probably the fiercest campaigner in history... or something to that effect.
  • Options
    Kat said:
    dignin said:

I'm thinking how funny it could be if at that moment, Joe asked him what covfefe means...and a variety of other stupid tweet stuff. :)

That would be a terrific idea! 

I think they should let Howard Stern be a moderator as he will get trump to reveal his true self. :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Kat said:
    dignin said:

That would be a terrific idea! 

I think they should let Howard Stern be a moderator as he will get trump to reveal his true self. :)
    That's a good idea too...but do you think his voters would care? :(

• Options

I never said he was the answer. 
This discussion has been closed.